Author Topic: Fabricio Oberto to play C and PF  (Read 6235 times)

Guest_Randy

Fabricio Oberto to play C and PF
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2005, 02:06:45 PM »
Reality,

When you come here and post comments about what a WRITER has said (and then want all of us to believe it) -- then you are trying to establish the writers credibility.  If they guy has no credibility, then it really doesn't make ANY difference what he wrote, right?  And if it doesn't make any difference what he wrote, then why quote it?  I would expect that even YOU could follow that line of reasoning!  

I simply followed that up by showing that YOU don't even believe what the guy writes so why should we?

Regadring Kobe, are you talking about the All Star game played in LA?

How many all-star games has Kobe been the MVP for?  All-Star games aren't a joke -- players go out to have fun and DEFENSE may be a joke but every player that walks on the court wants to play well and wants to give the fans something to cheer about, right?  Try thinking about that before you respond for a change.

Crisis for Randy, WOW, and westkoast.

Jerry West wanted to sign Oberto.
Are you saying Jerry West doesn't know what he is doing?

So Memphis wanted to sign him -- where did Jerry West say that this guy is going to be a 20/10 player in the NBA?  If Oberto is so good, how come there weren't 20 teams fighting over the right to sign him?  There was more interest in Michael Finley (a SG in a league where SG's are a dime-a-dozen) than there was in a big man?  

Listen, if Oberto is SOOOO good -- then how come he isn't the star of the Euro league?  Let's face it -- the Euro league ISN'T the NBA.  Players go to the Euro league when they can't make it in the states -- not when they can.  The guy tried to make in the NBA and didn't -- he finally did, and that's great for him.  In the 2004 Olympics, he average 8.4 points and 4 rebounds in 22 minutes (he did shoot a great fg% -- 60%).  He is 30 years old and already has played 12 seasons.  Last year, he had 14 points, 7 rebounds in 28 minutes.  Umm, that's not exactly setting the Euro league on fire -- much less the NBA.

Here's a better article for you.

The San Antonio Spurs announced that they have signed Fabricio Oberto. Per club policy terms of the contract were not released.

Oberto – who is 6-10 and 245-pounds – has been a member of Argentina’s national team since 1995. During the 2004 Olympics, he averaged 8.7 points and 4.0 rebounds in 22.7 minutes while shooting .604 (29-48) from the field. He missed the gold medal game after suffering a broken right hand late in Argentina’s win over the United States in the semifinal game. He will be the sixth member of Argentina’s 2004 Olympic Team to play in the NBA (joining Manu Ginobili, Andres Nocioni, Carlos Delfino, Ruben Wolkowisky and Pepe Sanchez).

Oberto, who turned 30 on March 21, has played professionally for the last 12 seasons. After playing five seasons in Argentina, for Atenas de Cordoba, he joined Olympiakos Pireus in Greece for the 1998-99 season. In August of 1999 he signed with Tau Ceramica in the Spanish League. For the last six seasons he has played in the Spanish League, spending his first three seasons with Tau before playing the last three seasons for Pamesa Valencia.

During the 2004-05 season, Oberto appeared in 30 regular season games for Pamesa Valencia, averaging 14.2 points and 7.3 rebounds in 28.5 minutes. He led the league in field goal percentage with a .654 mark (191-292). In ULEB Cup play he saw action in 16 games, averaging 12.5 points and 7.0 rebounds in 27.6 minutes, as Pamesa advanced to the ULEB semifinals.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2005, 02:09:03 PM »
IMO Kwame will have a better year as a Laker than "Beto" will for the Spurs.  I'll bet an Alamodome Premium Tall Draft Beer on it.
Tempting bet...not because I think "Beto" will be outstanding but because I think Kwame will be in Jackson's doghouse by Xmas.  And it is tough to put up stats while counting the number of splinters being gathered by your 300lb ass.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 02:09:21 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 02:16:45 PM »
IMO Kwame will have a better year as a Laker than "Beto" will for the Spurs.  I'll bet an Alamodome Premium Tall Draft Beer on it.
Tempting bet...not because I think "Beto" will be outstanding but because I think Kwame will be in Jackson's doghouse by Xmas.  And it is tough to put up stats while counting the number of splinters being gathered by your 300lb ass.
Lurker,

I made that bet thinking that Budweiser and Paps Blue Ribbon are considered "Premium" in San Antonio.  Please tell me you guys haven't heard of Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada or Heiniken!

What the dilio with you "locals" getting the ball rolling on a Spurs game.  Reality in Cali is doing most of the leg work you bums!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2005, 02:27:24 PM »
Lurker,

I just can't tell you how incredibly OFF you are when it comes to this topic.  There is ZERO way that Brown is going gathering splinters on his 300lb ass!  I can't even BELIEVE you said that -- he only ways 250lb.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 03:17:47 PM »
Lurker,

I made that bet thinking that Budweiser and Paps Blue Ribbon are considered "Premium" in San Antonio.  Please tell me you guys haven't heard of Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada or Heiniken!

What the dilio with you "locals" getting the ball rolling on a Spurs game.  Reality in Cali is doing most of the leg work you bums!
Well, inside the SBC Center IMO the best is Shiner Bock...but Bud does control the taps for the most part.

As far as around the city most folks beleive in Corona (too light for my taste) or the standard mass marketed American brews.  My preference is a good Dos Equis Amber or a nice German brew.  However I know a nice little Mexican food restaurant that usually has Fat Tire on tap.  Maybe some enchiladas and a cold one if you come to town.

As far as organizing the "event"...it is the age of the internet.  Hell, Reality can probably get better prices (& seats) than we can locally.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2005, 03:18:21 PM »
Really though why do they need another offensive weapon? Why would you possibly want this guy taking a shot when you have Duncan, Parker, Manu, Barry, Horry, Finley, etc.  Why they are going after someone who seems to be more offensive minded, I dunno.
another Big Man with O.
While not sacraficing any D, cause I'm thinking he can play D just as well as Nazr.
Maybe not.  But I'll bet he is close and even if he isnt the rest of his game puts him at or above Nazr.  Nazrs offense consists of 50% on dunk attempts.

Also as to adding Oberto in what is seems to as a do not need, keep in mind koast that Dunkars mileage is getting very high.  I am thrilled that the Spurs are adding and hope that it cuts down on the reg season minutes on Dunkar.  As well as playoff minutes when appropriate.  It's all good.

History of NBA Championship caliber teams runs ended by injuries are numerous.  Having Oberto is a gonna be a good addition.
First of all hes a Euro, they arent exactly known for their defense especially not when they play in a league as big and fast as the NBA.  Second, when your scouting report seems to mainly highlight your offensive game then its not a good sign.  We will see how it goes but I honestly cant think of any Euro player recently who has been a good defender.  Again, the Spurs win because of great defense.  They've never been successfull based on scoring.  Thats not their game.  Thats Dallas Mavs ball and as you can see they have 0 rings.

Crisis for Randy, WOW, and westkoast.

Jerry West wanted to sign Oberto.
Are you saying Jerry West doesn't know what he is doing?

And to think you could save the reality spin machine for another thread.  Guess not.  I will bold the words I think you need to pay very close attention to.  So because we think (along with everyone else) that Jerry is a great GM anything he does for HIS TEAM automatically is good for every other team?  Jerry West wants Oberto for the GRIZZLIES that automatically means he is a good fit for the SPURS ????

You being such a die hard life long Spurs fan you should know the reason why the Spurs seem to sputter when Duncan goes out isnt based on them not being able to score...its based on not having that defensive anchor to rebound and control the paint.  Manu, Parker, Barry, and Finley all can make up for the points the Spurs would miss when Duncan goes to the bench.  Now is Oberto going to make up for the loss of that defensive anchor?  Thats the real question.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 03:22:19 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2005, 04:00:18 PM »
However I know a nice little Mexican food restaurant that usually has Fat Tire on tap.
Thats whats up!  Fat Tire is so good.  I thought it was only local though.  Nice to see them having distribution across the US.

I have found new meaning to the phrase 'Respect your elders' after that one Lurker.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2005, 10:21:08 AM »
Lurker,

Well, inside the SBC Center IMO the best is Shiner Bock...but Bud does control the taps for the most part.

As far as around the city most folks beleive in Corona (too light for my taste) or the standard mass marketed American brews.  My preference is a good Dos Equis Amber or a nice German brew.  However I know a nice little Mexican food restaurant that usually has Fat Tire on tap.  Maybe some enchiladas and a cold one if you come to town.

As far as organizing the "event"...it is the age of the internet.  Hell, Reality can probably get better prices (& seats) than we can locally.
He count me in on that bet.  No Kwame Brown and his itty bity midget hands ae gonna do better better than "beto."  

and yes, I will go easy on you as well WOW - make mine Dos Equis...

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2005, 11:17:56 AM »
We will see how it goes but I honestly cant think of any Euro player recently who has been a good defender.

Uhhh...Westkoast...sorry to interrupt...Andrei Kirilenko. (Look for him accepting the DPOY award sometime next April)

First of all hes a Euro, they arent exactly known for their defense especially not when they play in a league as big and fast as the NBA.

Lotta good "big and fast" do if you can't shoot the ball outside 15 feet......6th in the 2002 Fiba Championship.....3rd in the 2004 Olympics.

Those poor defenseless "Euros" sure been handing our collective a$$e$ to us.  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 11:20:02 AM by Skandery »
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2005, 11:22:01 AM »
I stand corrected.  Cant believe I forgot about AK especially since I love his game to death.  Can we really name anyone outside of him though?

Playing in the international basketball tourny and the olympics is a bit different than playing 82 (and more in Beno's case being on the Spurs) games against these guys.  Takes a serious toll on your body and really forces them to switch their game up.  Ask Peja how much he likes the contact from the bigger, faster basketball players.

Also Skand, they are also playing International rules.  Something US players are not use to playing.  There was a number of times I saw our US squad get confused because of how certain calls are made with international rules.  They also have to adjust to that.  Beno doesnt get to take balls off the rim anymore =]
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 11:23:42 AM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2005, 12:03:58 PM »
Second, when your scouting report seems to mainly highlight your offensive game then its not a good sign.  We will see how it goes but I honestly cant think of any Euro player recently who has been a good defender.  Again, the Spurs win because of great defense.  They've never been successfull based on scoring.  Thats not their game.  Thats Dallas Mavs ball and as you can see they have 0 rings.

And to think you could save the reality spin machine for another thread.  Guess not.  I will bold the words I think you need to pay very close attention to.  So because we think (along with everyone else) that Jerry is a great GM anything he does for HIS TEAM automatically is good for every other team?  Jerry West wants Oberto for the GRIZZLIES that automatically means he is a good fit for the SPURS ????

You being such a die hard life long Spurs fan you should know the reason why the Spurs seem to sputter when Duncan goes out isnt based on them not being able to score...its based on not having that defensive anchor to rebound and control the paint.  Manu, Parker, Barry, and Finley all can make up for the points the Spurs would miss when Duncan goes to the bench.  Now is Oberto going to make up for the loss of that defensive anchor?  Thats the real question. [/quote]
 My scouting report was 'Bertos D may be just as good as Nazrs.
The article writers report was that he held his own against Tim Dunkan and toasted Vlade.  Vlade may have been puffing smokes during breaks and overall just enjoying his visit back to Euro.  You took Skanders correction of AK-47 so....
Let us see what 'Berto brings to the D end.

Spurs did not win the title with D only, they won with D and O combo.  Like all NBA legit champs.

In untwisting and answering your other questions:
So because we think (along with everyone else) that Jerry is a great GM anything he does for HIS TEAM automatically is good for every other team?

No.   Your Lakerist Brothers quotes were: "A nothing stiff ala Rasho." -WOW
"What do the Spurs need and want from a center?" -Randolph inferring it was a wasted pick by the Spurs
and
"How many all-star games has Kobe been the MVP for? All-Star games aren't a joke -- players go out to have fun and DEFENSE may be a joke but every player that walks on the court wants to play well and wants to give the fans something to cheer about, right?" letting us know that Kobe was good in the L.A. All Star game and that All Star Games count to Randy.

Jerry West wants Oberto for the GRIZZLIES that automatically means he is a good fit for the SPURS ????

No.  He will be a good fit for the Spurs irregarless of Jerry and Memphis.  However,
if Jerry West wanted Berto, is it possible that he might be a player with good things to offer?

Lastly in having breakfast this morning, I originally ordered an omlette to split with Mrs Reality.  I then changed my mind and completely bandwaggoned onto an order of potatoe pancakes.  Yeah, just like that.  Just bandwaggoned onto those.
Are you guys allowed to eat anything other then Purple n Golden Laker Flakes for breakfast your entire lives?

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2005, 12:05:31 PM »
Reality,

When you come here and post comments about what a WRITER has said (and then want all of us to believe it) -- then you are trying to establish the writers credibility.  If they guy has no credibility, then it really doesn't make ANY difference what he wrote, right?  And if it doesn't make any difference what he wrote, then why quote it?  I would expect that even YOU could follow that line of reasoning! 

I simply followed that up by showing that YOU don't even believe what the guy writes so why should we?
Oh no Randy I believe Kobe was the MVP of the L.A. All Star game.
I believe what the writer wrote about Kobe in the game.

So now what?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 12:39:08 PM by Reality »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2005, 12:09:19 PM »
As far as organizing the "event"...it is the age of the internet.  Hell, Reality can probably get better prices (& seats) than we can locally.
Do you have internet in Texas?  Maybe you are more familiar with the seating arrangement at SBC.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 12:47:01 PM by Reality »

Guest_Randy

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2005, 01:02:26 PM »
Reality,

When you come here and post comments about what a WRITER has said (and then want all of us to believe it) -- then you are trying to establish the writers credibility.  If they guy has no credibility, then it really doesn't make ANY difference what he wrote, right?  And if it doesn't make any difference what he wrote, then why quote it?  I would expect that even YOU could follow that line of reasoning! 

Oh no Randy I believe Kobe was the MVP of the L.A. All Star game.
I believe what the writer wrote about Kobe in the game.

So now what?
Reality,

You have these facts as certain as all of your other facts.  

The writer was writing about Kobe receiving the MPV All-Star award when he was in PHILLY -- go back and check your facts --  :rofl:  as if facts mean anything to you!!!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2005, 01:19:36 PM »
As far as organizing the "event"...it is the age of the internet.  Hell, Reality can probably get better prices (& seats) than we can locally.
Do you have internet in Texas?  Maybe you are more familiar with the seating arrangement at SBC.
Try looking at this site....make sure you are using the single game ticket price.  Anything at the $49 price up isn't a bad seat....most of the seats costing $80+ will sell out as soon as single game tickets go on sale.  $37 are acceptable unless you are afraid of steep climbs.   B)

http://www.nba.com/spurs/tickets/arena.html
-Moody Blues