Author Topic: A Walker scared off Finley?  (Read 5161 times)

Guest_Randy

A Walker scared off Finley?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2005, 12:04:12 PM »
IMO, you would feel different if the final three games were 1, 2, and 3 rather than 5, 6 and 7.  

I didn't find the first four games all that exciting -- I'm not sure how you did.  Of course, I watched them -- I like watching basketball -- I liked watching Big Ben dominate, etc.  But to say that the first four games made the series great is forgetting what happened in the first four games.  I don't think you have 20+ blowouts in a great series unless a major player (like TD, Big Ben) goes down with an injury!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2005, 01:13:23 PM »
I don't think you have 20+ blowouts in a great series unless a major player (like TD, Big Ben) goes down with an injury!

See...and this is exactly what I though was awesome about the series is that TD and Big Ben DIDN'T go down for the teams to trade sucker punchs.  

If SA had blown out Detroit and then Tim Duncan goes down injured and has to miss two games.  And Detroit pounds on SA for those two games and then Duncan gets back and the series plays out just like it did, it would take something away from the series.  You'd say well obviously San An would have rocked Det's world much earlier if TD hadn't gone down.  

No, I like it just the way it happened.  Is it exciting as having all seven games be just like Game 5, NO, I'm not saying that.  But I still maintain it was the greatest Finals series I've ever seen in my lifetime (first being 91 Bulls over Lakers).  And it was the CLOSEST Finals series in over a decade (Last Finals to go 7 was 94 Houston over NY).    
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2005, 01:24:17 PM »
Apparently, that '84 series wasn't too good.

Seems like '85 had a blow-out or two, as well.

I don't think it'll ever be a great series UNLESS there's a blow-out or two...put the sense of urgency in the team that gets blown out.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2005, 02:58:44 PM »
But I still maintain it was the greatest Finals series I've ever seen in my lifetime (first being 91 Bulls over Lakers).
Are you 15 or something?

I haven't seen a finals as good as 88 in my lifetime, too bad Zeke went down.  Plus there are TONS of playoff series alot better than last years finals.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2005, 03:33:24 PM »
'88?  

I haven't seen as good a finals as the '83 Finals!  Who cares if it only went 4 games!

Hey - check out that fire!  Where's my ($2.49/gallon) gasoline?

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2005, 04:00:17 PM »
Are you 15 or something?

I haven't seen a finals as good as 88 in my lifetime, too bad Zeke went down. Plus there are TONS of playoff series alot better than last years finals.

Yup Westkoast, I'm 15.  I remember at the tender age of 9 months being cognizant of just how athletic that Jordan was and how masterful Magic was in the fast break. Ah the memories...:rolleyes:

If you go back to my post, I called it the greatest FINALS (not playoffs) series of my lifetime.  And I still maintain that.  As far as all playoff series, there are some that beat it (most notably the 4 game sweep of the Rockets in 96 by the Sonics), but it is still one of the greatest playoff series I've watched if not quite the greatest.  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2005, 04:04:08 PM »
Are you 15 or something?

I haven't seen a finals as good as 88 in my lifetime, too bad Zeke went down. Plus there are TONS of playoff series alot better than last years finals.

Yup Westkoast, I'm 15.  I remember at the tender age of 9 months being cognizant of just how athletic that Jordan was and how masterful Magic was in the fast break. Ah the memories...:rolleyes:

If you go back to my post, I called it the greatest FINALS (not playoffs) series of my lifetime.  And I still maintain that.  As far as all playoff series, there are some that beat it (most notably the 4 game sweep of the Rockets in 96 by the Sonics), but it is still one of the greatest playoff series I've watched if not quite the greatest.
Uhh I didnt even say that to you  :crazy:

But ya that finals series wasnt that good.  MJ man handled the Lakers interior defense and the series ended up being 4-2.  Not exactly a great series all around but a good series for the Bulls/Mike Jordan.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 04:05:43 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2005, 08:33:31 AM »
But ya that finals series wasnt that good. MJ man handled the Lakers interior defense and the series ended up being 4-2. Not exactly a great series all around but a good series for the Bulls/Mike Jordan.

Umm..that series ended up 4-1 the Bulls.  The Lakers won the first game and proceeded to lose the next four in a row.  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2005, 08:55:56 AM »
Yup Westkoast, I'm 15.  I remember at the tender age of 9 months being cognizant of just how athletic that Jordan was and how masterful Magic was in the fast break. Ah the memories...:rolleyes:

Uhmmm...yea Joe Vancil, you must have been 9 months cause things seem soooo much bigger and better when you're such a little crum snatcher.  But after your widdle baby testie's drop you begin to see things much clearer.

If you go back to my post, I called it the greatest FINALS (not playoffs) series of my lifetime.  And I still maintain that.  As far as all playoff series, there are some that beat it (most notably the 4 game sweep of the Rockets in 96 by the Sonics), but it is still one of the greatest playoff series I've watched if not quite the greatest.

If you go back to MY post you'll see that I WAS referring to the finals as well.  The 88 finals but I also threw in that there have been better playoff series than that.  The greatest playoff's I've seen include the 1988 West Conf semis' L.A. vs Utah, 2003 Western Conf Finals, 1990 Eastern Conf Finals, 2000 Western Conf Fianls and IMO the greatest playoffs series ever was the 1987 Eastern Conf finals.  I didn't catch much of the Knicks vs. Bulls series cause by then the league was pretty watered down and boring.  Didn't get back into basketball until the end of the 2000 season.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2005, 09:19:16 AM »
But ya that finals series wasnt that good. MJ man handled the Lakers interior defense and the series ended up being 4-2. Not exactly a great series all around but a good series for the Bulls/Mike Jordan.

Umm..that series ended up 4-1 the Bulls.  The Lakers won the first game and proceeded to lose the next four in a row.
Way to add even more weight to it being the greatest finals ever  :D

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2005, 10:56:43 AM »
By definition, any NBA finals that included the Lakers could not be that exciting.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2005, 11:13:01 AM »
By definition, any NBA finals that included the Lakers could not be that exciting.
Ya well any finals including The Kings......

Oh wait nevermind.  Scratch that.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 11:13:13 AM by westkoast »

Guest_Randy

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2005, 12:10:34 PM »
I loved the last three games of the finals this year -- but I think if you reversed how this series went down (put games 5, 6 & 7 in the 1, 2, & 3 slot), you wouldn't be talking about what a great series it was -- you would be talking about how much you wish the final games were that good.  I don't like to see blowouts in the NBA finals -- no matter who is playing.

Two thoughts come to mind:

1)  How many finals that does include?  Half?

2)  What would a Kings fan know about NBA finals?

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2005, 12:17:53 PM »

2)  What would a Kings fan know about NBA finals?
At least they have the Monarchs  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2005, 12:39:39 PM »
First off, Westkoast, I apologize I always get confused when I see a W in the name box.  You're both Laker fans and you both live in SoCal...you can see how someone can get confused.  I'm Sorry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay WayOutWest, to clarify:

1)  I never watched the 88 Finals, the only Finals I've watched have been 90-91 season on.  And I *STILL* maintain that this past years Finals has been the best of those.  Not much referee BS and great playing by both teams.

2)  While I agree with you that some playoff series have been better than last year's Finals, I disagree when you describe it as "Tons".

3)  My large and in-charge testies have long been dropped and if you'd wipe some of the purple and gold jizm from your face you might find some merit in what I'm talking about.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to you Westkoast:

Way to add even more weight to it being the greatest finals ever 

1)  I never argued the 90-91 Finals of Bulls-Lakers was the greatest ever I just said it was the first one I ever watched.