Author Topic: Props to Shaq . . .  (Read 2886 times)

Guest_Randy

Props to Shaq . . .
« on: September 12, 2005, 08:32:11 AM »
The guy distances himself from other NBA players in the way that he personally gets involved in helping people.  Not just donating time but giving of himself.  How many people came out to give just because he was personally involved?  Shaq is going to rent 400 apartments to help assist some of the evacuees who have been displaced but then he goes out and works in the hot sun to load many of the trailers personally with his family!  

Props to Shaq for setting an example that I hope more professional ball players will follow (not to mention everyone else -- I hope that everyone finds a way to be involved).  

MIAMI -- Sweat dripping from his head as he worked in the midday South Florida sun, Shaquille O'Neal loaded the last item into a cavernous 18-wheel trailer and pointed to the generous stranger.
"Give the man a hug," he urged his children, who quickly obliged. "Tell him thank you."
For the last week, O'Neal and his wife have coordinated efforts to help those in Louisiana and Mississippi whose lives were ripped apart by Hurricane Katrina. And Saturday, O'Neal was on the front line, personally accepting medical items, toiletries, clothes and other items from those inclined to help.
The tractor-trailers hired by the O'Neal family are expected to begin rolling Tuesday toward Baton Rouge, La. -- where O'Neal, the Miami Heat center, attended LSU.
"I commend everybody who's helping out in some way," O'Neal said. "Whether it's monetarily or going to the stores and buying cases of water, bundles of ice ... there's a lot of people chipping in, and my hat goes off to every American and non-American that's helping."
O'Neal spent two days in Louisiana shortly after the storm struck, returning home deeply moved by what he saw. And donating money, he said, simply wouldn't be enough.
So for several days, he and his wife Shaunie have teamed with the El Dorado furniture stores in South Florida and urged people to give whatever was possible. The response, Shaunie O'Neal said, has been overwhelming.
A warehouse commandeered to store the donations is nearly filled to capacity. There's 10,000 gallons of water, piles of diapers, peroxide, personal items and clothing, plus even some donations of refrigerators and beds -- which will be used to help furnish 400 apartments the O'Neals' plan to rent for refugees in Dallas and other areas.
"The refrigerators and beds weren't expected," Shaunie O'Neal said. "But they definitely can be used. They'll definitely come in handy."
The O'Neals are unclear what will exactly happen once the trucks leave South Florida. They're finding that the process of distributing items throughout the ravaged region is perhaps the most difficult part of the plan.

Shaunie O'Neal said she's been told that the trucks, when they arrive in Louisiana, will be emptied for inspection and the items will be sent to various locations -- depending on what is needed where, and logistics in place for the distribution. She fears it could be a lengthy process.
"It's just frustrating," Shaunie O'Neal said. "All you're trying to do is help and get help to people in need and you see these people on TV just begging for help and whoever, I'm not going to point any fingers, but ... it's very, very, very difficult."
While the 12-time All-Star was manning the dropoff location, Edesio Biffoni, a Swiss man who works in finance and now lives in the Miami suburb of Coconut Grove, came with his sports-utility vehicle loaded with car seats, baby strollers, clothing, toys and other items.
Other citizens -- all unknowing they were about to meet O'Neal -- brought cases of soap and deodorant, plus toothbrushes, toothpaste, baby wipes and numerous other items.
"Everybody should be helping out. ... There's people who need these things more now," Biffoni said, moments after O'Neal gave the man a firm handshake and whispered appreciative words.
O'Neal said the damage he saw during his visit to Louisiana was unimaginable. So he returned home "to devise a plan," he said, and urged his friends and corporations he works with to provide immediate help.
"I'm just doing what I've been taught by my parents to do," O'Neal said. "This is the right thing to do, and I'm trying to urge other people to do it."

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Props to Shaq . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 09:42:31 AM »
well....last week reports were that LeBron helped load two semis with food/water/etc that he purchased at a local store.

Thing is a lot of players do a lot of things....most of them don't go out of their way to make sure the media reports it.

But I will still give Shaq his props...because there are still a lot of players who don't do anything.  But I would be much more impressed if he did it in a low key manor.....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 09:42:51 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

guest-koast

Props to Shaq . . .
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 09:50:40 AM »
well....last week reports were that LeBron helped load two semis with food/water/etc that he purchased at a local store.

Thing is a lot of players do a lot of things....most of them don't go out of their way to make sure the media reports it.

But I will still give Shaq his props...because there are still a lot of players who don't do anything.  But I would be much more impressed if he did it in a low key manor.....
Well Lurker this wasnt exactly a press confrence.  If Shaq is out somewhere doing anything the local newspapers will be there to cover it.  You cannot be low key when you are 7'2 330+ pound pro basketball player out in the public eye loading up trucks and rallying the community to help out.  SOMEONE is going to cover it as it makes for an intresting read.

However, there are alot of people doing this same thing.  Maybe not renting out 400 apartments but they are doing what they can.  I know Jay-z personally called up Lebron James to help out with what he was trying to do to provide relief.

Guest_Randy

Props to Shaq . . .
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 10:14:32 AM »

Lurker,

Shaq didn't WANT to do this low-key -- he was asking for people to bring items to help the victims of Katrina.  You don't think that it encouraged people to bring items to take it when the average Joe can see Shaq in person?  This HAD to have encouraged people to get out and bring needed items to help victims.  Because of that, Shaq WANTS everyone to know that he will be there -- not just show up because he wants to encourage everyone to do there part.

Props to LeBron too -- I hadn't read that but I LOVE seeing people who don't just give money but get personally involved.  IMO, Shaq does this better than anyone else in the NBA -- not saying that others don't do it at all, simply saying that Shaq gives more time than anyone else in the NBA (to charities, etc.).  Most guys in the NBA are required to do promo work -- I remember reading about the Blazers doing their required work -- Sheed talking on his cell phone the entire time, telling one kid he only gives an autograph with a Sharpee marker.  Everyone is required to do some promo work -- but I love those who do it because they want to and it's the right thing to do rather than just being required to do it.  

As for money, this gets a lot less of my attention -- most guys are simply looking for a tax write-off.  They need it.  But there are many who go far beyond the tax write-off and give of themselves AND their money.  Those are the guys who deserve to be propped -- and if you find an article on them, I'd love to read it!

By-the-way, I don't want to pick on Portland (although they were probably the epitome of the selfish NBA player team for a while).  When I was on MSNBC, I used to prop Brian Grant for his unselfish work in Portland.  He used to make regular ongoing visits to the children in hospitals -- just because he cared.  I truly like these kind of NBA citizens.

rickortreat

Props to Shaq . . .
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 11:04:32 AM »
Considering all the money these guys make playing a game, its the least they could do to help out those in need.

But at least they are doing the right thing, which is a lot more than I could say about FEMA, The federal government and the state and local officials.

I just want to point out that a lot of the suffering could have and should have been avoided.  Is it really too much to expect that the authorities would have a plan in place to evacuate the gulf coast when a cat 5 hurricane is headed that way?  They could have done it, but obviously don't care enough about the people they serve to do that.  

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Props to Shaq . . .
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 01:02:16 PM »
Without getting into the political partisanship of this thing Rick, there WAS an evacuation plan in place, there has been one for years. The problem was that the, shall we say, less than descerning mayor of New Orleans, NEVER executed it. There are picures all over the news of literally hundreds and hundreds of city and school buses sitting half submerged or even alomost completely submerged in flood waters that were never used, never ordered to be used, and never made available even though they were an integral part of the the evacuation plan that the shall we say, not very smart mayor of New Orleans never ordered enacted until the rising waters made the evacuation plan impossible.

The American Red Cross, the Salvation Army, AND FEMA, all had prestaged supplies including food, water, cots kitchens and so on and so forth and the American Red Cross and the Salvation Army made REPEATED requests to be allowed to go in prior to the full impact of the hurricane and begin helping. The, shall we say, somewhat stupid mayor of New Orleans REFUSED to allow them in, stating that the local government DID NOT NEED ANY HELP, all the while never ordering the evacuation of his city until it was too late.

Federal law requires that the state or local government has SOLE responsibility to ask for federal help, and FEMA and the rest of the federal government could not by law go in and just start doing their job unless the, shall we say, completely idiotic mayor of New Orleans asked for help, which he did not do until AFTER the transportation infrastructure of New Orleans was destroyed or underwater thus making realistic rapid response impossible.

Only the, shall we say, equally stupid and completely incompetent governor of Louisiana could order the state National Guard or additional National Guard form other states to go in to restore order, she did not do so until AFTER the transportation infrastructure of New Orleans was destroyed or underwater thus making realistic rapid response impossible.

The president of the United States, no bright bulb himself, at least had sense enough to know this could be very very bad and called the, shall we say, brain dead moron mayor of New Orleans and URGED him to request federal help, (Bush had ALREADY declared a state of emergency, thereby enabling immediate funding and response, which COULD NOT BE ENACTED unless requested by local officals), URGED him to evacuate the city, URGED him to take action, HE DID NOTHING!!!! He crowded tens of thousands in the Superdome with no food, no water, no security, no plan, no anything, essentially dooming them to what we all saw on television, gangs of armed thugs roaming the stadium raping and pillaging, filth beyond comprehension, a stadium surrounded by water making rapid response impossible. Mind you, the city's official evacuation plan DID NOT INCLUDE crowding people into the Superdome or the Convention Center, rather, it included using the hundreds and hundreds of city and school buses at their disposal to get people to higher ground outside of the city. Instead, those buses NEVER MOVED from their parking lots. Absolutely none of the federal response was possible without the local city government officially requesting it, which the, shall we say, criminally negligent, completely clueless mayor of New Orleans did not request until well AFTER it was too late to rapidly respond to the disaster, the damage had been done, lives were being lost.

I am no fan of any government, indeed, I am politically neutral, but no way this can be laid at the feet of FEMA or the Federal goverment, this was failure at the state and local level that defies imagination, failure that killed people, failure that is inexcusable, failure that IMO makes the mayor of New Orleans and the governor of Louisiana almost criminally negligent. Whether the levee's were unable to handle what Katrina threw at them or not is not the point, if the city evacuation plan had been followed let alone even ordred enacted in a timely manner, which it was not, this would not have been anywhere near a fraction as bad as it wound up being, and THAT my friends, was the the mayor's fault, nobody elses.

All you have to do is look at the reponse and recovery of Alabama and Mississippi to this huricane, they followed protocol, they requested federal help, they allowed NGO's to come in and set up relief centers, and as a result, we are not seeing or hearing about this kind of thing from these states, just like we never hear about them from the huricane capital of the world, Florida. I realize the floodwaters change the dynamic, but we are not talking about the floodwaters other than it made the evacuation impossible, but the point is, the evacuation should have been carried out LONG BEFORE the floodwaters even became an issue.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 01:06:54 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
Props to Shaq . . .
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 02:34:16 PM »
Dan, excellent post, one that I agree with 100%.  Everyone's quick to blame and bash Bush and FEMA, but the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the state and local government here.  The Federal government can take its share of the blame for the response times once called, but the slow, inefficient response (or lack thereof) of the state and local governments was the origin of this logistical disaster.  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Props to Shaq . . .
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 03:01:30 PM »
I agree that the one to blame the most was the mayor of NO.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Props to Shaq . . .
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 04:43:57 PM »
When asked on CNN who should be blamed for not using those city buses, the good Mayor of New Orleans stated that this was not the time to point the finger of blame.

He is right. That time is in the next mayorial election of whatever town New Orleans will have then, where his opponents are going to benefit greatly from the finger exercises they currently are doing.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Props to Shaq . . .
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 06:02:32 PM »
This cat is an idiot beyond definition, his diatribes on television and on the radio when his city was drowning because of his inaction and incompetence where he finally asked for help would have been downright laughable were it not for the fact that his aforementioned inaction and incompetence cost hundreds, maybe thousands of lives. And the way he demanded help was insulting to everyone who had offered help and been turned down by this ignorant fool, cursing and swearing at people and demanding they get off their @&#$ and get some buses down to New Orleans and help!!!! Why didn't he and his corrupt city government help? They are the first line of defense against such a tragedy! "Go to the Superdome, bring enough food and water for 3 days", this is what this shameful idiot told these people, and they get there and he strands them there and provides NOTHING by way of food, water, police protection and security, no cots, not blankets, no plan, no clue what he was doing. Never mind those hundreds of buses he never used, never mind the city evacuation plan he never implemented, never mind all the NGO help he turned down prior to the levee's breaking, never mind the federal (read that FEMA) help he did not ask for for 3 days, despite urgent request to do so, never mind his finger pointing when it was far, far too late to initiate any rapid response whatsoever, never mind that he is in no small measure, right alongside his stupid fool governor probably responsible for the loss of hundreds of lives. I wonder if anyone could criminally prosecute this moron???

Sorry guys, sensless loss of life that could have been prevented gets me rather riled up, no one deserves to die or suffer like these people have, and I do not count among the people my heart aches for the looters, rapists and thugs that took advantage of a horrendous situation to prey on their fellow man, too bad the hurricane didn't just sweep those pieces of scum out to sea and allow us to be quit fo some very useless trash. Pity how while a tragedy like this brings out the most honorable and noble best in many people, it also brings out the absolute worst in the cockroaches of society as well.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 06:04:37 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Props to Shaq . . .
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 11:59:58 AM »
This cat is an idiot beyond definition, his diatribes on television and on the radio when his city was drowning because of his inaction and incompetence where he finally asked for help would have been downright laughable were it not for the fact that his aforementioned inaction and incompetence cost hundreds, maybe thousands of lives. And the way he demanded help was insulting to everyone who had offered help and been turned down by this ignorant fool, cursing and swearing at people and demanding they get off their @&#$ and get some buses down to New Orleans and help!!!! Why didn't he and his corrupt city government help? They are the first line of defense against such a tragedy! "Go to the Superdome, bring enough food and water for 3 days", this is what this shameful idiot told these people, and they get there and he strands them there and provides NOTHING by way of food, water, police protection and security, no cots, not blankets, no plan, no clue what he was doing. Never mind those hundreds of buses he never used, never mind the city evacuation plan he never implemented, never mind all the NGO help he turned down prior to the levee's breaking, never mind the federal (read that FEMA) help he did not ask for for 3 days, despite urgent request to do so, never mind his finger pointing when it was far, far too late to initiate any rapid response whatsoever, never mind that he is in no small measure, right alongside his stupid fool governor probably responsible for the loss of hundreds of lives. I wonder if anyone could criminally prosecute this moron???

Sorry guys, sensless loss of life that could have been prevented gets me rather riled up, no one deserves to die or suffer like these people have, and I do not count among the people my heart aches for the looters, rapists and thugs that took advantage of a horrendous situation to prey on their fellow man, too bad the hurricane didn't just sweep those pieces of scum out to sea and allow us to be quit fo some very useless trash. Pity how while a tragedy like this brings out the most honorable and noble best in many people, it also brings out the absolute worst in the cockroaches of society as well.
Id love to point all the fingers at him but for Bush to take full blame for it and it not be at least partially the governments fault would be well, the first sign of the end of the world  :D  

The worst part of all of this is that the local mayor wanted to try to fix everything himself so he and the rest of the local government would look like big time heros.  So pathetic that a political career and praise is more important than human life.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

Props to Shaq . . .
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 12:40:12 PM »
Hey, I give props to Bush for taking the blame -- I had posted that I thought this was exactly what he should do but I never thought he would do it.  

As for the Mayor of New York -- did anyone catch him on Good Morning America today?   Charlie Gibson came out and stated something to this effect:  You pointed a great deal of the blame onto FEMA and the Federal Government but didn't the city of NO have a evacuation plan for the local government to carry out?  

At which point the Mayor tried to dodge the question and talk about the need to rebuild.

Charlie came back and asked him about the plan for all the school buses to evacuate the city of NO and only about a 3rd of the city was evacuated.  Why was that.  (mentioned school buses that were to have transported people sent out too late and are now mired in water).

It was quite interesting.  

I'm quite suprised that Bush took the blame (there is DEFINATELY enough of this to go around).  

The local government is the first line of protection for NO -- they failed to get people out of town.  They failed to ask for help BEFORE the hurricane hit (and FEMA and the federal government can't help until after it is requested).

The state government is the second line of protection and the governor HAS to request troops to help with disaster clean-up and keeping order.  She also failed to do this.  She also should have had her own state guard on standby ready to move in as well as requesting help from surrounding states (for extra police, firemen, city workers, medical personell, etc.).  

I don't care whether the mayor or governor asks for the help or not -- FEMA (and the federal government) should have been on alert and begun the process of readying themselves to move in as soon as the request was made.  There really is very little excuse for not being ready to move after it was all over.

Personally, I don't think that there is ANY way to properly prepare for this kind of catastophe -- you simply can't comprehend something like this before it happens.  However, you SHOULD be ready to put your plans into place for what you WERE prepared for -- you can add to your existing infrastructure as you need to but go ahead with the plan as it was.  

This was a tragedy -- no way to avoid that.  And you still can't totally take away the personal responsibility of those who purposely stayed behind (notice that this does not include those who couldn't get away for medical or transportation reasons).  It still would have been a tremendous tragedy had everyone taken responsibility (individuals, city, state and federal government) and carried out an effective plan.  There is simply no way to avoid this being a tremendous tragedy -- but they manage to make it far worse by failing to be prepared as soon as the storm subsided.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Props to Shaq . . .
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 01:03:36 PM »
Randy my thoughts exactly.  While it certainly wasnt ALL Bush and our government's fault they certainly weren't moving towards the target area while they were waiting for Mayor Jackass to finally give the official word.  He gave the word and our federal government still took a few days to get down there.  No excuse for that, they knew that they eventually would be called.  

Maybe we can finally get Bush to admit that the WMDs never existed!!  He took full blame for something that wasn't all his fault.....now its time to take blame for things that were fully his fault :D
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

Props to Shaq . . .
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 01:39:11 PM »
Personally, I never thought this war was about WMD.

IMO, the UN SHOULD have taken military action when Saddam snubbed his nose the third time -- much less the 487th time.  The only people that the sanctions were affecting were the common people in Iraq (you know, the ones that Saddam liked to have killed anyway).  

There's not much point in making a threat (if you do this, we are going to do this) if you aren't going to go through with it.  Saddam should have been dealt with by the UN a long time ago -- but the UN are a bunch of pansies and will struggle to follow through on anything -- ever!  

I thought we did the right thing by going in -- however, we bungled it in sooo many ways, it's hard to see anything positive happening longterm.  I think another civil war is inevitable in Iraq and democracy is a pipedream, at least IMO (as much as I wish it weren't so).  You can't walk into another country and try and duplicate yourself -- and while the majority of Iraqi's want democracy -- there are still enough radical muslim cell groups to ensure that it will never happen.  It's quite sad.

One thing I will say about Bush -- he's too proud (okay, not much different than most of the other presidents) and I think we are still over there because he can't admit defeat.  However, I never thought he would take the blame for the poor reaction by the federal government to Katrina as well and pull the FEMA director out (that WAS the right thing to do).  I think admitting to the WMD, is the least of Bush's problem.  Was there a chance that Saddam had WMD?  I don't think many people thought he had nuclear weapons but the ability to build a dirty bomb is VERY scary -- and I'm not convinced that Saddam didn't have some plutonium -- if he did, they are probably in Syria now (that country as about as bad as they come when it comes to supporting terrorism).  

I don't feel bad about going in and taking out Saddam -- he was enjoying his power and thumbing his nose at the sanctions, UN, US, etc.  And this guy did as MUCH to support terrorism as Al Qaeda has done.  Saddam actually sent each $25,000 to families who sent their sons and daughters on suicide bombing missions into Israel.  

Of course, the fact that the US help this guy gain power and military prowess should cause us to hang our heads.  This is the problem with the CIA's motto "the end justifies the means."  That motto just keeps coming back to bite us no matter WHO the President is!

jn

Props to Shaq . . .
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 03:48:23 PM »
Let me see if I have this straight.  

The Bush admin has gone too war in Iraq without a formal declaration, which only Congress can give.  It has tortured prisoners in direct violation of longstanding treaties and derided them as quaint.  It holds people incommunicado without filing charges in direct violation of the Constitution.  It sent John Ashcroft around to file Federal, CAPITAL charges against accused criminals after various states had declined to seek the death penalty.  It has interfered with state decisions in order to prevent terminally ill patients from using marijuana.  After years of reasoned debate among legal and medical experts and a numerous state level decisions Bush and company suddenly decide to try and "save" a woman who has been dead for years.  These last two come in the context of the supposed "States Rights" and "Strict Constructionist" philosphies supposedly espoused by this admin and it's supporters.  

Now, suddenly, in the face of a monstrous, horrific crisis that threatens to take the lives of tens of thousands American citizens the adminsitration is suddenly confounded by a bureaucratic TECHNICALITY?  

Ray Nagin and company screwed up royally and thousands payed the price.  He should be called to account for it.  However, the Bush admins excuse that they had to be asked to come in simply another in a long line instances of the Bush admin invoking rules only when it suits their purpose in a particular case.