Author Topic: Katrina  (Read 3013 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Katrina
« on: September 06, 2005, 11:28:35 AM »
Sorry D,  

I just want to make sure everyone sees this on the board.  I gave some stuf this weekend, up close, it's shocking.  food, daipers, etc whatever you can.  please check and see that the best way is to help out.  

Thanks
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Katrina
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 11:36:44 AM »
Spursx3 I hope you guys are gearing up for helping your own community.  I read a report saying that 250,000 people are migrating to Texas and hundreds of thousands are expected to stay because they have nothing to return to.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Katrina
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 12:05:34 PM »
Spursx3 I hope you guys are gearing up for helping your own community.  I read a report saying that 250,000 people are migrating to Texas and hundreds of thousands are expected to stay because they have nothing to return to.
Wk, yeah, it's rough, I expect a large chunk of these people to stay here in SA, as I expect some to stay in Houston and Dallas as well.  a lot say they want to go home, some will but I know it will be a huge strain on others and may stay because of the better market in San Antonio - never thought I would say that about our job market here, but atleastd here they get to start over, and the cost of living is STILL cheap.  they will stay.

Gov Rick Perry is also starting to airlift to other states that have offered up space and shelter, no sure exactly how many will leave SA to somewhere else or not.  trying to locate family and all is tough.  I tell you the more I think about the situation the more horrifying it gets, I COULD NOT put myself in their shoes.  but make no mistake, SA is one of - if not THE - most welcoming cities in Texas.  we will make these people feel at home as much as possible.  I am tryin to organize several things here at work to help out, volunteering, even bar-b-queing, getting some music for them, taking applications,  maybe even volunterring rides for those that need it, whatever we can, anything helps really, these people dont knnow anybody here for the most part I am sure it will help them out some.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Katrina
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 09:34:50 AM »
I went to go help a buddy of mine build some showers for some of the refugees. It was hard work but it felt good helping out.  On the flipside, a police officer here who is patrolling KellyUSA said lots of drugs and weapons were confiscated, and some have been seen looking to buy drugs around the area. A Houston police officer also told me there have been a rash burglaries of vehicles in apartments in close proximity to the Astrodome. Can't pin this on them, but I think its pretty obvious one can make an assumption. Many of these people are longtime welfare recipients and some are career thugs. And while I feel 95% of these people are probably good, hardworking people,  part of me can't help but feel that the wealthy New Orleanians are going to be glad to see these low-end people go. :huh:

Major props to the Governor of Texas though. :up:  Although I despise the job he has done, I must say that he's done a tremendous job in helping these folks out. San Antonians are stepping up big too, glad to see us as a city show our generosity to these folks. It's going to be a long tough road though.  
Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Katrina
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 10:06:08 AM »
This administration is really starting to show it's stupiditiy.

Heard on the radio that Cuba has offered 1,100 field doctors to assists in releif effort.  This is by FAR the most generous offer we've recieved.  These guys are trained to deal with this exact type of scenario.  Cuba has offered to send them over and pick up the tab for everything these guys need.  Since they are field doctors they will be used to living and working in these types of conditions.  They are picture perfect to assists in this tragedy.

Yet our stupid administration refuses to deal with Cuba.  This from a country that has diplomatic/social/economic/etc.. relationships with countries like Japan, N. Korea, Vietnam, China and GERMANY.  COME ON!!!  F this stupid group of war mongering profit seeking chicken hawks!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

guest-koast

Katrina
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 10:26:16 AM »

Heard on the radio that Cuba has offered 1,100 field doctors to assists in releif effort.  This is by FAR the most generous offer we've recieved.  These guys are trained to deal with this exact type of scenario.  Cuba has offered to send them over and pick up the tab for everything these guys need.  Since they are field doctors they will be used to living and working in these types of conditions.  They are picture perfect to assists in this tragedy.

Yet our stupid administration refuses to deal with Cuba.  This from a country that has diplomatic/social/economic/etc.. relationships with countries like Japan, N. Korea, Vietnam, China and GERMANY.  COME ON!!!  F this stupid group of war mongering profit seeking chicken hawks!
I saw this too and was like  :huh:  :huh:

Are we still mad at Cuba?  Jesus!  How long has it been?  Talk about holding a grudge.  Fidel obviously isnt still bitter we almost killed him maybe its time for us to get over it?  

Ive heard one too many stories about our Gov or the National Guard turning down help for that area.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Katrina
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 10:28:14 AM »

Heard on the radio that Cuba has offered 1,100 field doctors to assists in releif effort. This is by FAR the most generous offer we've recieved. These guys are trained to deal with this exact type of scenario. Cuba has offered to send them over and pick up the tab for everything these guys need. Since they are field doctors they will be used to living and working in these types of conditions. They are picture perfect to assists in this tragedy.

Yet our stupid administration refuses to deal with Cuba. This from a country that has diplomatic/social/economic/etc.. relationships with countries like Japan, N. Korea, Vietnam, China and GERMANY. COME ON!!! F this stupid group of war mongering profit seeking chicken hawks!

AMEN!
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Katrina
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2005, 04:56:10 PM »

unbelievable...get over it already, talk to castro, take his help...atleast he reached out to us.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Katrina
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2005, 05:14:19 PM »

Heard on the radio that Cuba has offered 1,100 field doctors to assists in releif effort.  This is by FAR the most generous offer we've recieved.  These guys are trained to deal with this exact type of scenario.  Cuba has offered to send them over and pick up the tab for everything these guys need.  Since they are field doctors they will be used to living and working in these types of conditions.  They are picture perfect to assists in this tragedy.

Yet our stupid administration refuses to deal with Cuba.  This from a country that has diplomatic/social/economic/etc.. relationships with countries like Japan, N. Korea, Vietnam, China and GERMANY.  COME ON!!!  F this stupid group of war mongering profit seeking chicken hawks!
unbelievable...get over it already, talk to castro, take his help...atleast he reached out to us.
Not to mention Castro is taking a HUGE risk, those guys may never go back to Cuba.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Katrina
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2005, 05:21:54 PM »
I went to go help a buddy of mine build some showers for some of the refugees. It was hard work but it felt good helping out.  On the flipside, a police officer here who is patrolling KellyUSA said lots of drugs and weapons were confiscated, and some have been seen looking to buy drugs around the area. A Houston police officer also told me there have been a rash burglaries of vehicles in apartments in close proximity to the Astrodome. Can't pin this on them, but I think its pretty obvious one can make an assumption. Many of these people are longtime welfare recipients and some are career thugs. And while I feel 95% of these people are probably good, hardworking people,  part of me can't help but feel that the wealthy New Orleanians are going to be glad to see these low-end people go. :huh:

Major props to the Governor of Texas though. :up:  Although I despise the job he has done, I must say that he's done a tremendous job in helping these folks out. San Antonians are stepping up big too, glad to see us as a city show our generosity to these folks. It's going to be a long tough road though.
you gotta wonder about the crime situation here, hope that these knuckleheads that think they will act the same way they did in NO are smart enough to realize they have a chance right now.  there was amnesty given to a lot of people to drop guns and drugs without police presence into a bin when they got processed in here.  you expect some crime to take place. but SA police IMO are qualified to take on the challenge of rounding these guys up.  

I think it will be a bit f culture shock...but thing should go back to normal before long.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
Katrina
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 01:38:27 PM »

Heard on the radio that Cuba has offered 1,100 field doctors to assists in releif effort.  This is by FAR the most generous offer we've recieved.  These guys are trained to deal with this exact type of scenario.  Cuba has offered to send them over and pick up the tab for everything these guys need.  Since they are field doctors they will be used to living and working in these types of conditions.  They are picture perfect to assists in this tragedy.

Yet our stupid administration refuses to deal with Cuba.  This from a country that has diplomatic/social/economic/etc.. relationships with countries like Japan, N. Korea, Vietnam, China and GERMANY.  COME ON!!!  F this stupid group of war mongering profit seeking chicken hawks!
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT?!?

Didn't any of you watch Red Dawn?!?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Katrina
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 03:28:31 PM »
I went to go help a buddy of mine build some showers for some of the refugees. It was hard work but it felt good helping out.  On the flipside, a police officer here who is patrolling KellyUSA said lots of drugs and weapons were confiscated, and some have been seen looking to buy drugs around the area. A Houston police officer also told me there have been a rash burglaries of vehicles in apartments in close proximity to the Astrodome. Can't pin this on them, but I think its pretty obvious one can make an assumption. Many of these people are longtime welfare recipients and some are career thugs. And while I feel 95% of these people are probably good, hardworking people,  part of me can't help but feel that the wealthy New Orleanians are going to be glad to see these low-end people go. :huh:

Major props to the Governor of Texas though. :up:  Although I despise the job he has done, I must say that he's done a tremendous job in helping these folks out. San Antonians are stepping up big too, glad to see us as a city show our generosity to these folks. It's going to be a long tough road though.
you gotta wonder about the crime situation here, hope that these knuckleheads that think they will act the same way they did in NO are smart enough to realize they have a chance right now.  there was amnesty given to a lot of people to drop guns and drugs without police presence into a bin when they got processed in here.  you expect some crime to take place. but SA police IMO are qualified to take on the challenge of rounding these guys up.  

I think it will be a bit f culture shock...but thing should go back to normal before long.
Well...its not always about being smart or not smart.  Dont take this as me defending them but when you have no job, no money, and no place to go it leaves little for you to do.  When your hungry now you cant wait a week or 2 for someone to call you back about an application.

They dont have anymore of a chance in TX as they did in NO.  They are even more poor now than before.  At least out there they had a roof, now they dont even have that.  As far as I know there isnt dozens of housing projects in Texas for these people to move into ASAP.  They were in projects because they couldnt afford homes/apartments in other areas.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Katrina
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 04:11:03 PM »
I went to go help a buddy of mine build some showers for some of the refugees. It was hard work but it felt good helping out.  On the flipside, a police officer here who is patrolling KellyUSA said lots of drugs and weapons were confiscated, and some have been seen looking to buy drugs around the area. A Houston police officer also told me there have been a rash burglaries of vehicles in apartments in close proximity to the Astrodome. Can't pin this on them, but I think its pretty obvious one can make an assumption. Many of these people are longtime welfare recipients and some are career thugs. And while I feel 95% of these people are probably good, hardworking people,  part of me can't help but feel that the wealthy New Orleanians are going to be glad to see these low-end people go. :huh:

Major props to the Governor of Texas though. :up:  Although I despise the job he has done, I must say that he's done a tremendous job in helping these folks out. San Antonians are stepping up big too, glad to see us as a city show our generosity to these folks. It's going to be a long tough road though.

Well...its not always about being smart or not smart.  Dont take this as me defending them but when you have no job, no money, and no place to go it leaves little for you to do.  When your hungry now you cant wait a week or 2 for someone to call you back about an application.

They dont have anymore of a chance in TX as they did in NO.  They are even more poor now than before.  At least out there they had a roof, now they dont even have that.  As far as I know there isnt dozens of housing projects in Texas for these people to move into ASAP.  They were in projects because they couldnt afford homes/apartments in other areas.
actually, I read that there is about 7% availability in our city wide houseing thourhg various properties and apartments, the SA housing Assoication is saying that they can get stipends or voucher quickly to get these people into hiomes if they want to stay here.  as far as long term welfare, well thats a different story, we have plenty of jobs in the city - mind you not high paying wages - but we have something to get them started on their way back.  things should be ok, we will all settle in together.  They actually do have a chance here in SA wk.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Katrina
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 06:29:05 PM »

actually, I read that there is about 7% availability in our city wide houseing thourhg various properties and apartments, the SA housing Assoication is saying that they can get stipends or voucher quickly to get these people into hiomes if they want to stay here.  as far as long term welfare, well thats a different story, we have plenty of jobs in the city - mind you not high paying wages - but we have something to get them started on their way back.  things should be ok, we will all settle in together.  They actually do have a chance here in SA wk.
Not to be a negative nancy or anything but I highly doubt, even with what you mentioned, that this city can handle the 250k reported to be migrating in that direction.  Plus, some of these people are not very well educated because of the areas they live in.  Quality schools in areas where the Caliope and Magnolia project housing are...well they dont exist.  Also you may have alot of housing...but alot of these people were in low-income housing projects built by the government.

NO is one of the worst areas as far as crime goes.  Right up there with the Gary , Indianas, NY, LAs, etc etc etc

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Katrina
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 06:41:34 PM »

Not to be a negative nancy or anything but I highly doubt, even with what you mentioned, that this city can handle the 250k reported to be migrating in that direction.  Plus, some of these people are not very well educated because of the areas they live in.  Quality schools in areas where the Caliope and Magnolia project housing are...well they dont exist.  Also you may have alot of housing...but alot of these people were in low-income housing projects built by the government.

NO is one of the worst areas as far as crime goes.  Right up there with the Gary , Indianas, NY, LAs, etc etc etc
I am not sure about the 250k right now, but they have stated that the numbers in shelters has dropped dramatically, a lot of folks have found relatives and have gone off to live with them.  we still got a good number of people in shelters here, other scattered about the area with family etc.  I am not tryiong to make it sound like a cake walk or anything like that, but we are doing pretty well considering.  You can only hope for the best and so far things are looking pretty good in our neck of the woods...cant say the same for houston, dallas, etc.