Author Topic: Lakers hire Kareem as a special assistant coach .  (Read 2507 times)

Guest_Randy

Lakers hire Kareem as a special assistant coach .
« on: September 03, 2005, 04:04:01 PM »
his focus will be helping LA's young big men develop.  Still makes no promises for these young players but I find it encouraging!

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. - Former Los Angeles Lakers star Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, a six-time NBA MVP and the leading career scorer in league history, has been hired by the team as a special assistant coach.

The 58-year-old Abdul-Jabbar played in the NBA for 20 seasons -- six with the Milwaukee Bucks and 14 with the Lakers. He scored 38,387 points before retiring in 1989.

"We are pleased to welcome Kareem back to the organization." general manager Mitch Kupchak said in a statement issued Friday. "Kareem was one of the best centers to ever play the game. His skills and talent on the court were truly remarkable and we look forward to having Kareem help our big men develop these skills and tutor them on what it takes to be a successful player in this league."

The Lakers picked 17-year-old high school center Andrew Bynum with the 10th overall pick in the NBA draft two months ago.

Abdul-Jabbar, who led the John Wooden-coached UCLA Bruins to three NCAA championships, was the first overall selection in the 1969 draft by the Bucks and was a 19-time NBA All-Star.

The Lakers said Abdul-Jabbar will begin work immediately. He will accompany the team to Hawaii for training camp and work with the players at all home practices.
Abdul-Jabbar led the Bucks to the NBA championship in 1971, and was a member of five championship teams with the Lakers during the 1980s.

rickortreat

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 05:41:02 PM »
This is long overdue, giving Kareem the chance to coach in the NBA.  Frankly, I was hoping he'd have been given a better opportunity than this.  He's well deserving, a very intelligent, talented individual.  And a pretty funny actor!

B)  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 06:03:54 PM »
Actually, as a head coach, Kareem hasn't fared well -- but I like him in development.  He definately understands how to play the game and has a lot to teach young big men -- but I don't think that carries over to coaching an entire team.

rickortreat

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 09:24:21 PM »
Where has he been a head coach, where he's had decent players to work with?

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 07:34:35 PM »
I think that Kareem has had a chance at high school and college level -- seems like he might have had a short stint with the WNBA too somewhere.  I don't think he did much anywhere he went although I don't know that he had all that much to work with.

Chris Mihm

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 01:45:20 PM »
*TRIES TO HIGH FIVE Vlade*

*misses*

I can't wait to add the sky hook to my list of moves that includes the jump hook and the foul.

*shines Kobe's shoes*

Vlade Divac

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 09:21:53 AM »
"Enough trying to high five, Chrees, I'm getting weended."

"Hey is it break time, yet, I have not had ceegarette!"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 10:57:28 AM »
According to this link [ http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/rssclick/...?section=si_nba ], Kareem is recommending Olowokandi.

OUCH!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 11:24:50 AM »
I wouldn't hire Kareem to assess talent -- I would hire Kareem to work with talent.  

As for Olowokandi, talent isn't his problem -- it's doing anything with the talent.  Perhaps if he had been drafted by somebody (anybody) other than the Clips?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 11:35:47 AM »
I wouldn't hire Kareem to assess talent -- I would hire Kareem to work with talent.  

As for Olowokandi, talent isn't his problem -- it's doing anything with the talent.  Perhaps if he had been drafted by somebody (anybody) other than the Clips?
Not the Clippers fault he lacks motivation to improve his own game.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 11:49:53 AM »
I don't think you can blame the Clips for everything -- Kandi needs to take responsibility for himself but you can't deny that there seems to be something in the Clips water that seems to poison it's players!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 11:51:12 AM »
I don't think you can blame the Clips for everything -- Kandi needs to take responsibility for himself but you can't deny that there seems to be something in the Clips water that seems to poison it's players!
Uhmm...yea....Brand and Magette looked really sick from all that poison.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 01:13:18 PM »
And the poison Miles got seemed to magically surface when he got to Portland.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 01:36:21 PM »
Brand wasn't drafted by the Clips -- he played (and proved himself) in Chicago.  As for Maggette, it really depends on who you talk to -- there are those (actually on the Clippers team) who say that he doesn't like to share the ball.  

Which one is easier -- listing the players who have been poisoned by the Clips or the ones who have actually succeeded?

Q

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 03:21:43 PM »
Brand wasn't drafted by the Clips -- he played (and proved himself) in Chicago.  As for Maggette, it really depends on who you talk to -- there are those (actually on the Clippers team) who say that he doesn't like to share the ball.  

Which one is easier -- listing the players who have been poisoned by the Clips or the ones who have actually succeeded?
*Calls Darius on the phone*

*Says 'peace out' while his fists are pounding his skull*

What's good Randy?  I'm a player that moved onto better things after my Clipper life.