Author Topic: Bulls sign Chandler  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Bulls sign Chandler
« on: September 01, 2005, 09:15:57 PM »
I like Chandler, a lot.  But that's extremely overpaid.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/bask...er.r/index.html

CHICAGO (Ticker) -- Seven-footer Tyson Chandler, a huge part of the Chicago Bulls' resurgence last season, will be a huge part of their future as well.

Chandler signed a six-year contract worth a reported $75 million Thursday, ending a long and curious free agency period.

The Bulls did not disclose terms, but Chandler revealed that the deal is for six years and ESPN 1000 Radio reported its value.

Chandler, 23, was a restricted free agent, which meant the Bulls could match any offer he received from another team. Despite his 7-1 size, length, youth and upside, he drew very little interest.

Meanwhile, the Bulls spent the offseason showing very little urgency in re-signing Chandler or fellow big man Eddy Curry, both of whom helped the team reach the playoffs for the first time in seven years last season.

"In this business, things don't always happen at the pace you would like, but I knew from the onset that we would make this happen and Jeff Schwartz played a key role in the negotiations," Bulls vice president John Paxson said.

"This is the outcome we were working towards," Schwartz said. "Chicago is a great city and John is taking the team in the right direction. I am thrilled for Tyson to begin the next chapter of his career with the Bulls."

The first chapter had its ups and downs. Taken directly out of high school with Curry four years ago, Chandler struggled with injuries and inconsistency during his first three seasons.

Last season, he emerged as a force beneath both baskets, finishing ninth in the NBA with 9.7 rebounds per game and 13th in blocks at 1.76 per contest. He played in a career-high 80 games -- primarily as a reserve -- and averaged 8.0 points on 49 percent shooting.

After seven straight losing seasons since the departure of Michael Jordan, the Bulls turned it around last season, going 47-35 and advancing to the postseason for the first time since their last NBA title in 1998. They won the first two games of their first-round series with Washington before dropping four in a row.

"I'm ecstatic that this contract is done," Chandler said. "To know that I will be in Chicago for the next six years is definitely a dream."

In 261 games, Chandler has averaged 7.6 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks. He was a teammate of Detroit Pistons forward Tayshaun Prince at Dominguez High School in Los Angeles.

The Bulls have yet to sign Curry, another restricted free agent who was diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat at the end of last season. Otherwise they have been quiet, re-signing free agents Chris Duhon and Othella Harrington.

© 2005 SportsTicker Enterprises, LP

Bulls sign Chandler
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 09:16:49 PM »
:huh:

75 million?  Hes a good rebounder but jesus christ, lets not act like rebounding isnt something plenty of players do well.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Bulls sign Chandler
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 08:50:00 AM »
Bulls caved in.  They were offering less but gave Chandler his asking price.

But then this is half of what Yao just got and I would say Chandler is worth about half of Yao.   :rofl:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Bulls sign Chandler
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 09:33:03 AM »
Bulls caved in.  They were offering less but gave Chandler his asking price.

But then this is half of what Yao just got and I would say Chandler is worth about half of Yao.   :rofl:
What was the original figure do you know?

Dominquez High School always seems to get the top quality sports talent.  As far as I know they are a public school too.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Bulls sign Chandler
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 09:55:04 AM »
I think the Bulls were offering around $60 mil for the 6 years.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 09:55:19 AM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Bulls sign Chandler
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 10:54:52 AM »
But even that is  :crazy:

10 a year for Tyson Chandler??!?!?!?  You know by the time im 50-60 years old Shawn Bradley's will be making 30 million a year.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Bulls sign Chandler
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005, 11:31:37 AM »

10 a year for Tyson Chandler??!?!?!?
I agree....but then some of it has to do with the same arguments for giving Yao all the money.  Shortage of big men.  If you don't someone else will. Etc, blah,  :bs:  
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Bulls sign Chandler
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2005, 11:59:33 AM »

10 a year for Tyson Chandler??!?!?!?
I agree....but then some of it has to do with the same arguments for giving Yao all the money.  Shortage of big men.  If you don't someone else will. Etc, blah,  :bs:
I think we both can agree that Yao is a better player than Tyson in every aspect except for rebounding.

Plus Yao Ming fills seats.  People are not exactly linning up to see Tyson Chandler suit up.

Guest_Randy

Bulls sign Chandler
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2005, 12:11:42 PM »
Is Chandler the actual starting center for the Bulls?  

I'm not sure why the Bulls gave Chandler $10 mill a year -- NOBODY was giving this kid any offers -- why do the Bulls suddenly pony up for $2-3 more mill a year than he is actually worth?  

The Bulls seem to be content with Center by Committee -- but you are paying Chandler as if he IS the Bulls center.  That's crazy, IMO, esp. when nobody else seems to be interested in him -- period!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bulls sign Chandler
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 01:07:01 PM »
No explanation for it except that Dalembert set the market value.

Disgusting.  :nonono:  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Bulls sign Chandler
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 01:55:34 PM »
Chandler came off the bench last year, although with Curry now possibly not back (or at least who he was), he'll start.

I actually like chandler.  a lot.  definitely more than dalembert.

but they're both ridiculously overpaid.

rickortreat

Bulls sign Chandler
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 02:34:39 PM »
What do you see in Chandler that you don't in Dalembert?  IMO Chandlers's more of a risk because of the injuries.

In addition, Dalembert hung tough against the Pistons in the playoffs last season, demonstrating that he can play.  

The only thing about Sammy is that he hasn't learned how to stay out of foul trouble, and he doesn't seem to be that smart.  But he is coachable and has all the physical skills. Considering his background, you'd expect him to catch on slow.  I hope he's watching a lot of Kevin McHale's post up moves and practicing.

I expect to see great improvement in him this year, with Cheeks as head coach.  He'll figure out a way to get more out of him than Job.

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bulls sign Chandler
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 05:09:58 PM »
Ha.

From what you guys are saying, this seems a lot like the Magglio Ordonez/Detroit Tigers situation from this past offseason.

Ordonez had a bum knee, which had been surgically repaired, and NO ONE was going to give him the money he wanted, sans those big ol' fluffy cats.  The Cubs had a very small interest in him, but didn't trust his knee and lauged at the amount it would take to pay him (according to his agent extraordinaire, Scott Boras).  So the Tigers, being the Tigers, decided to up the bidding and give in to his agent's demands.  They signed him for a rediculous amount (something like 7 years, 80 million or so, if memory serves me correct).  Not saying Mags isn't worth it, but he has to be healthy in order to produce, obviously (which he hasn't been for the entire year thus far, playing in only 56 games).  The fact that practically no one else wanted him for that money is just a riot when you consider the Tigers' line of thinking must've gone something like this:

"Oh no!  Somebody's upped the price for Ordonez!  Quick, let Boras know we'll go to 80 million plus over seven years.  That'll show the rest of 'em!"

Later:

"Oh crap, I forgot!  WE were the ones who upped the price!"   :bash:  
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bulls sign Chandler
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 06:41:32 PM »
Ha.

From what you guys are saying, this seems a lot like the Magglio Ordonez/Detroit Tigers situation from this past offseason.

Ordonez had a bum knee, which had been surgically repaired, and NO ONE was going to give him the money he wanted, sans those big ol' fluffy cats.  The Cubs had a very small interest in him, but didn't trust his knee and lauged at the amount it would take to pay him (according to his agent extraordinaire, Scott Boras).  So the Tigers, being the Tigers, decided to up the bidding and give in to his agent's demands.  They signed him for a rediculous amount (something like 7 years, 80 million or so, if memory serves me correct).  Not saying Mags isn't worth it, but he has to be healthy in order to produce, obviously (which he hasn't been for the entire year thus far, playing in only 56 games).  The fact that practically no one else wanted him for that money is just a riot when you consider the Tigers' line of thinking must've gone something like this:

"Oh no!  Somebody's upped the price for Ordonez!  Quick, let Boras know we'll go to 80 million plus over seven years.  That'll show the rest of 'em!"

Later:

"Oh crap, I forgot!  WE were the ones who upped the price!"   :bash:
Lets leave the Tigers out of this, they have pooped in their cage enough, no need for you to be throwing it at them.

BTW wasn't it you who popped a heart valve when I traded Sean Casey for Mags?   :bash:
I was accused of all sorts of nefarious deeds, in trading the Mayor for a player of such unbelievable talent. :moon:

While we are on baseball, how about we swap pitching staffs.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bulls sign Chandler
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 10:21:46 PM »
Yeah, you're probably right.  I'm sure, knowing myself the way I do, a hissy fit was thrown over that trade.  However, in defense of my whining session, Mags' offensive talent is leaps and bounds ahead of the Mayor's [who knew Fred Hoiberg played baseball?  :) ].  I should've taken into account the condition of Ordonez's knee though.

Oh well.  

At least I didn't count on Edgar Renteria for 20-30 SBs ("a virtual lock," someone said) and 25 HRs from Dallas McPherson!  But again, I thought I had the best offense after the results of the draft.  Who knew my pitching staff would carry me?  I should've known better, because usually, when it all shakes out, my pitching ends up trumping my offense.  Probably the fact I can evaluate pitchers better (being that I was a catcher and then a pitcher through high school) and have an eye for talent there.  I did, after all, see Carpenter as the last true "ace" left on the board in the seventh round.  Who else could've said that?

But enough patting myself on the back.  Kev and I are in a dogfight for second, as Carl is wiping the floor with us all.

And now back to your regularly scheduled topic...
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41