Author Topic: Reports say Yao Ming signed extension  (Read 6663 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Reports say Yao Ming signed extension
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2005, 02:57:56 PM »

Next time try to understand what is actually written instead of what you THINK the other poster wrote.
Lurker, if you don't stop perpetuating this recourse for insanity, I will lose all respect for you.

A lack of reading comprehension has become the driving force of dabods board.
And to think I gave all this refreshing banter up for a few months.  No wonder my little remaining sanity was quickly fading.......
If text on a message board really effects your life like that maybe you need to join D-Rob in the old folks retirement home?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2005, 02:57:57 PM »
I'll try and type slowly for you, Lurker, perhaps that will help.

My whole post was to help you remember that I NEVER stated that Walker was going to be anything (other than a bum) just because he donned purple and gold.
And

I

never

stated

you

did.

So

slow

is

better

for

you.

I

never

claimed

Walker

would

be

better

because

he

became

a

Spur.

I

stated

that

as

a

lottery

pick

that

I

hoped

a

change

in

teams

would

help.

I

would

say

the

same

for

almost

any

lottery

pick

who

struggles

with

his

first

team.

(now to speed up a little).  For example...even though he isn't changing teams...I beleive that Milicic will show much quicker improvement since he will be in a new system.  Same concept, different player.  A change in team or coaching system can mean a great difference in a player who has been in the league for only a couple years.  I felt that Walker had that potential...which of course in hindsight he didn't....but it had nothing to do with him joining the Spurs.  

But of course Randy your contempt for anything Spurs (insert assorted denials - i.e. I LOVE Tim Duncan's game) stops you from actually reading a Spurs-related post and trying to understand what is actually being typed.  And then on top of it YOU attribute your twisted since of remembering what others wrote 5 years ago as gospel (also known as revisionist history).  But if you insist on playing the game that way I'm sure that I can "remember" some things that you wrote, INSERT A FEW CAPITALS to give it weight and post it as FACT.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2005, 03:19:41 PM »
Lurker,

Just nut up and admit you are the one that buys into a player JUST for joining your team instead of trying to attribute that trait to Laker fans.  It's so obvious it's not worth debating.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2005, 03:35:27 PM »
Man, Randy, now you've riled Lurker up.......you seem to be having this affect on people, recently...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, on the subject of Yao Ming.  I'm torn, I really am.  I mean his numbers are pretty good.  He has had breakout games.  He standeth a full 7 foot 6 inches and is not awkward in stature.  

I think that his rebounding numbers are unimpressive.  This guy should be getting 10 rebounds at the very least.  I think that his stamina and conditioning could improve.  This guy should be getting more than 31 minutes for his career.  I think that his defensive awareness should improve.  This guy should not be in the top 5 players in fouls committed.  His passing is outright horrendous.  This guy should average more than 1.3 assists with the double teams he draws.  

Now Lurker has astutely pointed out that Yao plays essentially ALL year long with his commitments to the Chinese Basketball Team, so maybe his minutes will climb this year.  

Now to the meat of the subject, is Yao worth the money??  I reluctantly say yes.  And not just for the obvious "He's a center who doesn't suck" reason, but Yao actually has a nice offensive touch.  I like his form AND his free throw shooting.  If he were to ever figure out how to use those skills to truly impose his will on defenders.  I'm talking about the mentality: "YOU CAN'T STOP ME FROM SCORING!".  Hack-a-Yao won't work and he might finally realize his potential.      
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2005, 04:25:48 PM »
Got to check in on the feud here.

I remember Lurker being one of the skeptics when Samaki Walker went to the Lakers.  I remember him taking a lot of abuse from Laker posters at the time.  And in the end, Lurker was right - Samaki Walker was a flop.  And part of the reason he took more abuse than I did is because Walker came from the Spurs to the Lakers.

The problem is that I don't remember exactly WHO was giving BBF all the trouble.  

As for Parks - I do remember that SOMEBODY defended him as a Spurs pick-up.  I don't believe it was BBF, though.

The problem is that all of this history is part of the old past of MSNBC.  But I do remember Spurs fans defending the pick-up of Parks and Laker fans applauding the pick-up of Walker.  And I specifically remember BBF cautioning folks on flaunting Walker.

The problem is that between here and FanHome and MSNBC, my mind is struggling to keep it all straight.  Too many boards and too many messages.

Lurker has been one of the more reasonable folks over the years, as I've recalled.  On MSNBC, I tended to find myself agreeing with him and with Randy moreso than I agreed with most other Spur or Laker fans.

I have to say that I find it amusing that here, I tend to agree LESS with either of them than I remember doing on MSNBC.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2005, 04:42:31 PM »
Hey.....Joe if you can't toss fuel on the fire then stay out of our argument.   :nonono:

Basically...at least from my point of view and in some regard I beleive Randy's also....we accuse each other of the same thing over & over.  And we both like to argue for arguement's sake.  I definately don't take it personally and I hope he doesn't either.  And the whole enchilada (after all I am in Texas) started with our "feud" over Avery Johnson.

His side:  I claimed Avery was an all-star.

My side:  He claimed Avery should have never left the CBA.

Truth:  Definately somewhere in the middle.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 04:43:34 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2005, 04:43:31 PM »
Joe,

Your mind is wasting away, smoking too much baby seal crack.  They guy the Laker fans were defending was Horace Grant.  I remember someone posting a pic of Grant blocking on of TD's shots at the rim.  Laker fans were being told we had an old damaged Grant that had been playing the 5 in Seattle and he would be a useless POS that would be abused by Rasheed.  Turned out to be the best FA pick of the Shaq/Kobe era, Malone excluded.

It was particularly hot between the Portland and Laker faithfull since the Spurs were still having to deal with the * argument before they could chime in on the Lakers PF situation.  I cannot remember any SINGLE poster defending Samaki as a Laker PF since Samaki was the post MSNBC days.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2005, 04:50:26 PM »
Joe,

Your mind is wasting away, smoking too much baby seal crack.  They guy the Laker fans were defending was Horace Grant.  I remember someone posting a pic of Grant blocking on of TD's shots at the rim.  Laker fans were being told we had an old damaged Grant that had been playing the 5 in Seattle and he would be a useless POS that would be abused by Rasheed.  Turned out to be the best FA pick of the Shaq/Kobe era, Malone excluded.

It was particularly hot between the Portland and Laker faithfull since the Spurs were still having to deal with the * argument before they could chime in on the Lakers PF situation.  I cannot remember any SINGLE poster defending Samaki as a Laker PF since Samaki was the post MSNBC days.
I agree that the Samaki/Laker crap happened right as the transition occurred from the old MSNBC board to the nomad days then was basically done by the time this board popped up.

And I NEVER accused any Laker fan of supporting Samaki.  And I don't beleive any did.  My position was that after two teams gave up on him it was foolish for any other team to take him on.  And it is always fun to call the Lakers (and I beleive West was still there) foolish.  That was riled up the Laker fans (and I know I'm being very general) the most.

Also if we still had access to those old posts I think you would see my reasoning for thinking that Samaki would work for the Spurs was two-fold.  First, he was a lottery pick (# 7 or 8 I beleive) and still just entering his 3rd year in the league after leaving Kentucky early.  Second was some of the skills he showed while in college....it gave hope that a new team & system would work for him.  It wasn't just because he became a Spur.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2005, 04:51:41 PM »
You know, WOW, I DO remember a few Laker fans responding (probably with more dreams than true hope) positively when Samaki came aboard.  I do remember the discussions about Horace and they were certainly more lively than the ones with Samaki (and we know who was right, huh?).

As for "riling" up folks here -- the only person that I have actually intended to rile up here is Reality.  Mainly, because while I can disagree with Lurker (and at times TRY to torque him off), Reality is the only one who comes onto this board calling names, etc.  I really don't enjoy that and have tried to be civil, requesting that he stop but to no avail.

Actually, about 90% of what I wrote to JoMal was all bs -- just having a little fun!  I have come to enjoy the sour grapes that JoMal brings to our table!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2005, 04:55:50 PM »
Joe,

Your mind is wasting away, smoking too much baby seal crack.  They guy the Laker fans were defending was Horace Grant.  I remember someone posting a pic of Grant blocking on of TD's shots at the rim.  Laker fans were being told we had an old damaged Grant that had been playing the 5 in Seattle and he would be a useless POS that would be abused by Rasheed.  Turned out to be the best FA pick of the Shaq/Kobe era, Malone excluded.

It was particularly hot between the Portland and Laker faithfull since the Spurs were still having to deal with the * argument before they could chime in on the Lakers PF situation.  I cannot remember any SINGLE poster defending Samaki as a Laker PF since Samaki was the post MSNBC days.
Samaki was MSNBC days -- he was gone from the Lakers before we MSNBC closed down, I believe.

Oh, and Lurker -- I remember who I was talking about Anthony Carter (hmm, remember that name Joey V.?) -- I get he and Avery Johnson mixed up a lot -- about the same playing skills, huh?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2005, 05:02:05 PM »
Oh, and Lurker -- I remember who I was talking about Anthony Carter (hmm, remember that name Joey V.?) -- I get he and Avery Johnson mixed up a lot -- about the same playing skills, huh?
And I summarized our "discussion" very succinctly; don''t you think.  Or should we start all over again.    :crazy:  
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2005, 05:03:03 PM »
I remember Anthony Carter.  *I* was the one defending him in MIAMI the one year.  

Anthony Carter - to this day - remains the WORST case of me being ABSOLUTELY WRONG - whether good or bad - about a point guard.  I thought the guy was going to work out BEAUTIFULLY for Miami.  Turns out, everyone else was right - he was a bum.

I can name lots of players who I've been just completely off-base with, but the only one that I'm truly ashamed of at point guard is Anthony Carter.  Otherwise, I'm reasonably happy with my picks at point.  (I've got some absolute DOOZIES at other positions, and for any - *ANY* - big man, I wouldn't listen to A THING I have to say about young ones.)

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2005, 05:08:49 PM »

Actually, about 90% of what I wrote to JoMal was all bs -- just having a little fun!  I have come to enjoy the sour grapes that JoMal brings to our table!
90% BS!!!!!!

YOU TURD!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

THERE I WAS, CRYING  :cry: MYSELF TO SLEEP FOR NIGHTS ON END AND IT WAS ALL FOR JUST MY SOUR GRAPES?????

Randy, how did you even allow 10% of real commentary enter into a 100% bogus thread?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 05:09:11 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2005, 05:21:35 PM »
The 10% of the thread had to do with my opinion of the politics of California!   :D  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2005, 05:22:26 PM »
And I summarized our "discussion" very succinctly; don''t you think.  Or should we start all over again.    :crazy:
Lurker,

It might be fun to start over again but let's just end with my stating that I'm a whole lot closer to the truth on my end of the pendulum swing than you are!!! :rofl: