Author Topic: Reports say Yao Ming signed extension  (Read 6664 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Reports say Yao Ming signed extension
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2005, 11:36:02 AM »
"Jazz locked up AK47 for the same reason. Is he really worth it?"

Uhh YES!!!!  There are very few players in the league that bring that brand of defense each night for 48 minutes.  I believe an anchor of the defense, who plays like AK, is worth the money he got.  Not all players need to be superstars to get huge contracts.  If they have something other players in the league dont have, you should snatch them up.  AK has that with his tiredless attack on the opposing teams offense.  Yao has his size.

As for Yao....Lurker thats great he has good numbers and hes better than most centers (lets not even talk about how undersized most of the league is and how that factors in).  The problem is that hes not a leader and he does not put the team on his back.  He just doesn't have that kind of personality.  That makes a HUGE difference.  The thing is though, he doesnt have to be because they have T-Mac and he WILL take the big shot.  So, while alone it would be a problem, he has someone on his squad who wlil fill that role.  Dont underestimate the importance of having a player who will put a team on his back.  I believe Yao is worth a max contract but at the same time have to agree with Randy with his assestment.  Yao is not as good as he was expected to be and I feel its because of what Randy/I were saying.

As for Kobe...he did it plenty of times.  I can name quite a few off my head real quick.  Game 6 against the Pacers in the finals when Shaq left the bench, Game 4 (or maybe 5) against the Wolves 2 years ago, 2 years ago in the finals against Detroit in one of the first few games, WCF against Portland game 7, the year they swept Sac and SA he strapped the team on his back on the road in both series,   Shall I continue???  Lurker, how many games has Yao done this for his team in the playoffs let alone the regular season?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 11:41:22 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2005, 12:05:38 PM »
But, koast, the fact that the NBA is so watered down at the center position is what increases the value of Ming.  It's sort of a supply & demand thing.  If he is the best center available then teams are going to bid high to sign him....if he is a dime a dozen then the price goes down.  And although he doesn't show the fire (somehow this was said about Duncan for years) doesn't prove that he is incapable of being an above average (relatively speaking) NBA center.

IMO to determine if a player is worth max dollars you have to look at more than just their game.  But I also think that many of you are downgrading Yao's game because you expect him to put up Shaq like numbers.

And the most ironic thing is that if the Lakers were to have signed him in 2007 (not possible now I know) then his abilities would have grown greatly in the eyes of Laker fans.

I'll await the customary denials.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2005, 12:18:59 PM »
But, koast, the fact that the NBA is so watered down at the center position is what increases the value of Ming.  It's sort of a supply & demand thing.  If he is the best center available then teams are going to bid high to sign him....if he is a dime a dozen then the price goes down.  And although he doesn't show the fire (somehow this was said about Duncan for years) doesn't prove that he is incapable of being an above average (relatively speaking) NBA center.

IMO to determine if a player is worth max dollars you have to look at more than just their game.  But I also think that many of you are downgrading Yao's game because you expect him to put up Shaq like numbers.

And the most ironic thing is that if the Lakers were to have signed him in 2007 (not possible now I know) then his abilities would have grown greatly in the eyes of Laker fans.

I'll await the customary denials.
Lurker...I believe he is worth a max contract for the same reasons you state.  He has something that all the other players dont have, which is height.  Just like I believe AK is worth what he is being paid because his defensive ability is something no other player has.  Not even Bruce Bown.  He is better than most centers in the league, while thats not saying much cuz its watered down, he still is better than most centers in the league.

I dont expect him to put up Shaq numbers.  That isnt even what I was commenting on.  I agreed his numbers are good but thats not what I think is a problem.  Just dont see him having the personality to demand the ball and no I dont just mean yell with your hand up in the post......I mean TELL the players and the coach GIMMIE THE BALL NOW.  Then proceed to take it straight to the rim over and over and over.  Not sit back and shoot fall away 10-15 foot jumpers.  Take it at the defense.  Ive never seen him do this in a close game for a real length of time.  Hes a nice, passive guy so you cant force him to be something hes not.  With that said, its still a major hole in his game.  Especially if hes to wear the title of most dominating.

Funny thing is your talking out of your ass because we already talked about this and his heart came into question when talking about him comming to the Lakers.  Would we be glad to have him? Yes.  Would he all the sudden have heart and be an aggressive player? No.

Ill expect the customary bs reply from you.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 12:20:46 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2005, 12:25:25 PM »

My, my, my, how our memory fades!  

Let's see if we can remember this well enough:

1)  Who thought Samaki Walker was going to suddenly become a GREAT player simply because he changed into a Spurs uniform.  I certainly never thought that he was going to be a great player simply because he changed into a Lakers uniform, did I?

2)  What about these players as well:  Cherokee Parks, Anthony Johnson -- hmm, ring any bells, Lurker?

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me!  Does that help jog your memory a bit?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2005, 01:33:42 PM »

My, my, my, how our memory fades!  

Let's see if we can remember this well enough:

1)  Who thought Samaki Walker was going to suddenly become a GREAT player simply because he changed into a Spurs uniform.  I certainly never thought that he was going to be a great player simply because he changed into a Lakers uniform, did I?

2)  What about these players as well:  Cherokee Parks, Anthony Johnson -- hmm, ring any bells, Lurker?

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me!  Does that help jog your memory a bit?
First...I never claimed Walker would be a GREAT player.  I just stated that he could meet his potential on a new team.  His SECOND team.  Happens a lot....player doesn't make it in one system but finds another and does well.  When he hit the Lakers he had already been bombed by two teams....pretty much a sign that he is a bust.  But hey keep trying to write revisionist history as usual.

I would NEVER EVER claim Parks was even an average player.  I wouldn't play down his signing because all teams need practice dummies (i.e. Marks from New Zealand on Spurs roster past two years).  And in that sense Parks played a decent role of the 5th big man on the roster (Duncan, D-Rob, Rose, Willis, Parks).

Anthony Johnson?????   I know it is difficult to keep track of opponent with your purple & gold glasses on but if you just check out nba.com and look under players you would see that this person never played in SA.  So I can't see how I ever pimped him to be good.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2005, 01:33:56 PM »
oops, computer error....double post.

:D  
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 01:34:38 PM by Lurker »
-Moody Blues

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2005, 01:35:39 PM »
Ill expect the customary bs reply from you.
 :bs:

Saves a lot of typing.   :rofl:  
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2005, 01:39:42 PM »
Umm, go back and find a post ANYWHERE where I claimed ANYTHING good about Samaki Walker -- I told you when the Spurs signed him that he didn't have anything and my stance never changed when LA signed him.

You seem to have a HUGE memory problem (probably because your memory is eclipsed by your ego) since you can't remember my posts disparaging the Lakers for signing Walker.

I am definately amazed -- your memory seems to be as spotty as you want it to be!!!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2005, 01:47:07 PM »
Along the same logical train of thought, I honestly feel that Bonzi Wells, now that he is a King and we all know that alone changes swine into pearls, will become the stellar citizen we all expected him to be with Portland...er, l mean Memphis...and all those nasty innuendos and accusations, which never were adequately proven to be true, were all a bunch of hooey.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2005, 01:50:31 PM »
Exactly, JoMal, when he flipped fans off in Portland -- I bet it was ALL photoshopped in!  Although, that technology really amazes me -- I mean, it's easy to understand how they do it for tv and pictures but how did they manage to trick the fans at the game?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2005, 02:10:58 PM »
Umm, go back and find a post ANYWHERE where I claimed ANYTHING good about Samaki Walker -- I told you when the Spurs signed him that he didn't have anything and my stance never changed when LA signed him.

You seem to have a HUGE memory problem (probably because your memory is eclipsed by your ego) since you can't remember my posts disparaging the Lakers for signing Walker.

I am definately amazed -- your memory seems to be as spotty as you want it to be!!!
As well as revising history your reading comprehension is still very lacking.  I reread my post 10 times and couldn't find where I stated that you posted anything positive about Walker.  Maybe it was in the invisible print that only shows up on your screen.   :eek2:  :huh:

What I did say was that a player CAN improve when he moves to his second team is something that happens regularly in the NBA.  To EXPECT this to happen for the team you root for is just human nature.  When a player is given up on by TWO teams in 4 years THEN you begin to question his ability to make it in the NBA.  

I make the same challenge....go back and find a post where I said that you claimed Samaki was going to be a star in LA.  I never did.

Next time try to understand what is actually written instead of what you THINK the other poster wrote.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2005, 02:24:49 PM »

Next time try to understand what is actually written instead of what you THINK the other poster wrote.
Lurker, if you don't stop perpetuating this recourse for insanity, I will lose all respect for you.

A lack of reading comprehension has become the driving force of dabods board.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2005, 02:27:24 PM »
Exactly, JoMal, when he flipped fans off in Portland -- I bet it was ALL photoshopped in!  Although, that technology really amazes me -- I mean, it's easy to understand how they do it for tv and pictures but how did they manage to trick the fans at the game?
They used a stand-in "finger".

If you will refer to the TV images from that alledged episode, you might notice that the finger in question was clearly the property of a female midget with ricketts.  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2005, 02:36:17 PM »

Lurker, if you don't stop perpetuating this recourse for insanity, I will lose all respect for you.

A lack of reading comprehension has become the driving force of dabods board.
And to think I gave all this refreshing banter up for a few months.  No wonder my little remaining sanity was quickly fading.......
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2005, 02:44:25 PM »
I'll try and type slowly for you, Lurker, perhaps that will help.

My whole post was to help you remember that I NEVER stated that Walker was going to be anything (other than a bum) just because he donned purple and gold.  My response wasn't due to the fact that you stated that I said anything positive about Walker -- simply in response to your load of crap that if Yao had donned purple and gold that I (we Laker fans) would be saying what a great player he was.  Your comments about "revisionist history."  I'm not the one who states that a player is going to be a BETTER player simply because he switches to a different uniform -- I believe that label is best worn by YOU!  

Everyone has been wrong about players before -- I don't have a problem with that -- and I really don't have a problem with the fact that you think a player (and I did use Samaki as an example) is going to get better simply because he dons a Spurs uniform -- however, if you are going to do that, don't come in with a bunch of crap about Laker fans doing that!  Because you are still the pot calling the kettle black!