Author Topic: Spurs sign Van Exel without cutting into Finley of  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs sign Van Exel without cutting into Finley of
« on: August 29, 2005, 07:07:45 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2146285

Tony Parker won't have to carry as much of the Spurs' load next season. San Antonio announced Monday that is has signed veteran guard Nick Van Exel.

"We are very happy to have Nick as a part of our team," coach Gregg Popovich said in a statement. "His leadership and skills will be assets at both ends of the floor."

The team did not disclose terms of the contract, but ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported that the Spurs were able to sign Van Exel without cutting into the estimated $2.5 million they have offered free-agent swingman Michael Finley for next season.

Finley is expected to decide early this week whether to sign with the Spurs, Suns, Heat or Timberwolves

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 07:20:51 PM »
I'm happy for Nicky and the Spurs.  Nick was always one of my favorite Lakers from what I affectionately refer to as "the Eldon Campbell years".  Granted, he had some maturing to do when he came in to the league, no one on the court wanted to win more than Nick the Quick.  He played with fire and passion every night and wore his emotions on his sleeve ... which at times could be strength and a weakness.  I'm happy that he will now have a championship ring to add to his career.   Congrats Nick and to the Spurs for a great pick up.  Darn, I wish the Lakers would have picked him up   :huh:  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 10:55:30 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2146285

Tony Parker won't have to carry as much of the Spurs' load next season. San Antonio announced Monday that is has signed veteran guard Nick Van Exel.

"We are very happy to have Nick as a part of our team," coach Gregg Popovich said in a statement. "His leadership and skills will be assets at both ends of the floor."

The team did not disclose terms of the contract, but ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported that the Spurs were able to sign Van Exel without cutting into the estimated $2.5 million they have offered free-agent swingman Michael Finley for next season.

Finley is expected to decide early this week whether to sign with the Spurs, Suns, Heat or Timberwolves
were nick and finley close?  wonder if this will help pull finley in....
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 11:02:46 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, this is a poor pick-up.

The only thing the NVE signing does is mean that Brent Barry and Beno Udrih are going to get less on-court time.  At the current stage of NVE's career, Barry is a better player, and Udrih needs on-court time to develop.  So why pick up NVE?

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 11:41:44 AM »

The only thing the NVE signing does is mean that Brent Barry and Beno Udrih are going to get less on-court time.  At the current stage of NVE's career, Barry is a better player, and Udrih needs on-court time to develop.  So why pick up NVE?
Barry would back up manu rather than tony Joe - it shouldnt affect him too much IMO - however I also see it a security blanket - Barry was not exactly the three poitn threat we wanted him to be last year - part of which is due to his nervousnes in giving the Spurs what they signed him to do.  NVE should be a solid leader off the bench when tony is out and Beno is crakcing under the pressure (finals) as well as a good backup for Barry when his touch is not there.  I am more concerned about NVE attitude, hopefully he won't complain while he is with us and it will be a smoothe integration for him.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 12:24:59 PM »
So why pick up NVE?

PO-tential!!

If the Spurs get a Nick Van Exel that's a 15 points on the bench just waiting to happen (much like he was with Dallas), that's firepower on the bench for the Spurs.  A team that struggled mightily when the bench had to keep up with the other team offensively.  Plus he will most likely use up Devin Brown's minutes, not Udrih's or Barry's.  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 01:28:44 PM »

I disagree.  I think NVE is still better than Barry is at this point.  He has a killer instinct and a drive to win that I have yet to see from Barry.  His competitiveness alone makes him the better player.

Besides, Nick can slash and isnt bad posting up.  Barry is a little bit more one dimensional.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 03:54:50 PM »
So why pick up NVE?

PO-tential!!

If the Spurs get a Nick Van Exel that's a 15 points on the bench just waiting to happen (much like he was with Dallas), that's firepower on the bench for the Spurs.  A team that struggled mightily when the bench had to keep up with the other team offensively.  Plus he will most likely use up Devin Brown's minutes, not Udrih's or Barry's.
Exactly Skandery.  

George Karl once called Nick "a 12-point bomb waiting to explode".  That always stuck with me as one of the most accurate, astute descriptions of a player I've heard.  

If you want to pick the negative to this signing ... I think you have to focus on the fact Nick was never much of a defender and with his recent knee troubles ... his D is non-existent.  Not really a natural fit on a team known to stress and practice good D.  

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 10:07:27 PM »
The negative of this signing is picking up an aging point guard when you've got two young ones that you need to be bringing along.  San An needs to be developing Beno Udrih and Tony Parker.  Van Exel merely serves as a distraction to that purpose.

Yes, you may get an opportunity to win a game at some point because instead of sending in Udrih, you can send in Van Exel.  For a single game, that's not a bad thing...until you consider that in 3 years, you'll need Udrih, and Van Exel will be headed out into the sunset.

Joe

-----------

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 01:26:02 AM »
Not sure how this will turn out but its a great situation to have.
Parker needs rest, NVE could be the perfect answer.  
Beno may or may not turn out.  If Nick can help bring another title to SA in 2006, hasta la vista Beno.  Worry about 2008 when it gets here.  

Barry and Manu were on the floor together quite a bit in the Finals Xs3.  I don't want to see Barry lose a lot of minutes.  But again it allows Pop to go with the hot hand.  Barry did great in the Finals.

Backup for Parker :wub:
backup for GNob :wub:
Backup for Timmy Dunker :wub:

Sing it out together.

It's an all Spurs World
It's an all Spurs World, un huh

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 08:57:14 AM »
**sigh**

Apparently, everyone seems to think the way to build a lasting dynasty is to snag up a few veterans at the end of their careers, rather than build up the young talent that can carry you through to your next set of championships.

Right now, only two teams - San An and Detroit - have the ability to build a "dynasty".  Both teams are teams with young talent.  NOW ADD TO THE YOUNG TALENT WITH MORE YOUNG TALENT!  

Imagine if Boston had said, "No, we need to pick up an aging veteran to compliment our team rather than giving John Havlicek major minutes.  After all - we're competing for a championship."  Think Boston would have still been in the mix in 1974 and 1976 without Havlicek?

You bring in the crusty vet in a CRISIS situation - not as standard fare.

Joe

-----------

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 09:32:30 AM »
**sigh**

Apparently, everyone seems to think the way to build a lasting dynasty is to snag up a few veterans at the end of their careers, rather than build up the young talent that can carry you through to your next set of championships.

Right now, only two teams - San An and Detroit - have the ability to build a "dynasty".  Both teams are teams with young talent.  NOW ADD TO THE YOUNG TALENT WITH MORE YOUNG TALENT! 

Imagine if Boston had said, "No, we need to pick up an aging veteran to compliment our team rather than giving John Havlicek major minutes.  After all - we're competing for a championship."  Think Boston would have still been in the mix in 1974 and 1976 without Havlicek?

Uhhh...Joe, what do you call Manu, Parker, and Devin Brown?  Certainly not old vets who are at the end of their careers?  I think they would fall under the young talent to develop category dont you think?  You cannot have the whole team be young talent.  IMO Pop has brought a strong mix of young talent and older vets who can still do damage.

Ask the Spurs organization and their fans if it was a bad idea to pick up an aging vet who happend to play the power forward position.  Did Horry not help continue the success the Spurs have had in the last few years?

I dont see how Van Exel is a distraction when he can play both the point and sg.  On top of that he is going to be getting a whopping 15 minutes per game.  Give or take depending on how well he plays.  If the Jason Kidd courting didnt hurt Parker I dont see how making the bench deeper will.  Frankly the Spurs do not have clutch shooters outside of Horry.  Van Exel can and will hit that big shot if Horry cannot.  .
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 09:35:46 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 09:41:56 AM »
**sigh**

Right now, only two teams - San An and Detroit - have the ability to build a "dynasty". Both teams are teams with young talent. NOW ADD TO THE YOUNG TALENT WITH MORE YOUNG TALENT!

Imagine if Boston had said, "No, we need to pick up an aging veteran to compliment our team rather than giving John Havlicek major minutes. After all - we're competing for a championship." Think Boston would have still been in the mix in 1974 and 1976 without Havlicek?

This from the guy who was berating teams for having a "youth" movement, I just don't get it...j/k  :D

Ask the Spurs organization and their fans if it was a bad idea to pick up an aging vet who happend to play the power forward position. Did Horry not help continue the success the Spurs have had in the last few years?

Preach that gospel, Westkoast!

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline Joe Vancil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 10:56:30 AM »
westkoast,

I call Devin Brown "a waste of a roster spot."  And I call a talented young point guard - Udrih - that is going to have his minutes cut a guy who needs to go elsewhere.

If you've got a young point guard on your roster, and you're not developing him, you've got a real problem.  Point is the toughest position to play, and it pretty much takes EVERYONE time to settle in to it.  It's one of the most coveted positions, and the talent pool here is more shallow than at the 2-3-4 spots.

Therefore, if you've GOT one of these guys, you want to feed the guy minutes.

I'd be less worried if this were a 2-guard or a 3 or a 4.  And centers are in such short demand that you pretty much grab up all of them that you can.  But bringing in Van Exel while trying to develop a young point guard sounds like an extremely bad idea.

Joe

-----------

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 11:18:46 AM »
**sigh**

Right now, only two teams - San An and Detroit - have the ability to build a "dynasty".  Both teams are teams with young talent.  NOW ADD TO THE YOUNG TALENT WITH MORE YOUNG TALENT!  

Imagine if Boston had said, "No, we need to pick up an aging veteran to compliment our team rather than giving John Havlicek major minutes.  After all - we're competing for a championship."  Think Boston would have still been in the mix in 1974 and 1976 without Havlicek?

Joe, signing NVE does not mean Udrih will not develop, the kid showed he has got game, but hwe also showed he needs to grow a little bit.  having a vet like NVE this season can really help Beno grow IMO.  I dont see his development stalling because of this.  Having three gaurds should be a good thing, tony cant always be on the floor to lead, Beno cant be counted on at this point in his career to keep a cool head on the floor, nve would be a great asset on the floor to hold it down for a few minutes.  I dont think Pop is expecting this guy to play major minutes, he is a vet that will do what most vets we pick up do, stand in and try to hold the fort down for the younger crew.  

Now I WILL be worried if the signing of NVE somehow means beno being traded away with Rasho or not.  There have been rumors of trying to pass rasho off with with Beno.  which would be a horrible mistake IMO.

Two other good things about signing NVE, 1.) he might help recruit Finley. not expecting him to, but he helps our situation. 2) his contract is ONLY for 1 year, no big deal, when he is done he is done and off the books.  The Spurs are already going to be over the cap.  which means they need relief, if they can still claim an amnesty player, I think they are getting ready to dump Rasho.  Yes we keep his salary on the books , but isn't that salary not added to the luxury tax?  seems like the most likely thing to do.  I may be wrong about the whole CBA but I think that is how it's suppossed to work.  

I just hope this signing doesnt mean trading away Beno.  that would be the only downside that I could see coming our way.