Author Topic: interesting info on Finley situation  (Read 1547 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
interesting info on Finley situation
« on: August 26, 2005, 09:18:03 AM »
Finley weighing sales pitch by Spurs
Web Posted: 08/26/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Mike Finger
Express-News Staff Writer

Having completed their pilgrimage to Michael Finley's home turf, officially joining the list of championship contenders vying for the coveted free agent's services, the Spurs head into yet another weekend ready to resume a familiar pastime.

Waiting.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich met with Finley in Chicago on Thursday, but a conclusion to the courtship isn't considered imminent. Finley, the 32-year-old swingman waived by Dallas earlier this month, will entertain representatives from Minnesota today. He then is expected to spend the next several days considering his options, which also include Miami and Phoenix.

"He's going to take the weekend to compare and contrast everything he heard, then figure out which situation will be the best for him," said Henry Thomas, Finley's agent. "I think the Spurs are right in there."

While the Spurs remain serious competitors in the Finley sweepstakes, they aren't the favorites. The Heat still own that designation, due mainly to their offer of a full $5million salary-cap exception. The Spurs have $2.5million available, while the Suns have just $1.1million.

But Thomas reiterated Thursday that Finley's decision won't be based on financial considerations alone, as his client still has $51.8million owed to him by the Mavericks. Thomas said Finley is more concerned with finding a team that meets other criteria, and the Spurs apparently have scored well in those areas.

"They've got a lot of things going for them," Thomas said. "The most obvious being that they just won a championship."

The Spurs are set to bring back most of the team responsible for winning that title — their only offseason addition thus far has been Argentine center Fabricio Oberto — but they would like to add a shooting guard or small forward to come off the bench.

Finley, who has had knee problems but shot 41 percent from 3-point range last season, would appear to be a perfect fit for that role. But if he elects to go to a team that can offer him more money or a higher-profile role, the Spurs won't have to look too far for a backup plan.

Devin Brown, the Spurs' restricted free agent, has yet to sign an offer sheet even though his agent insists he's generating interest from several teams. Utah met with Brown earlier this month, but the Spurs have the inside track to retain him because they have seven days to match any outside offer he receives.

Brown's agent, Darrick Powell, has maintained Brown wants to stay with the Spurs and hasn't grown impatient by the team's flirtation with Finley.

"Devin understands the situation. He understands the process," Powell said. "He's fine with it. We still have a decent amount of teams calling. We hope when this Michael Finley thing goes down, things will start moving."

Also Thursday, the Spurs officially unveiled their plans to move this year's training camp to the U.S. Virgin Islands, the homeland of Tim Duncan. The team will train for a week at the University of the Virgin Islands in St. Thomas beginning Oct.4.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 11:11:02 AM »
While the Spurs remain serious competitors in the Finley sweepstakes, they aren't the favorites. The Heat still own that designation, due mainly to their offer of a full $5million salary-cap exception. The Spurs have $2.5million available, while the Suns have just $1.1million.

But Thomas reiterated Thursday that Finley's decision won't be based on financial considerations alone, as his client still has $51.8million owed to him by the Mavericks. Thomas said Finley is more concerned with finding a team that meets other criteria, and the Spurs apparently have scored well in those areas.

Lurker you need to post the link that states whether or not Finey and other Amnesties will make any more by siging with new teams.

Agent says money wont matter (liar IMO but suprise me), article writer says money makes Heat the favorite.  We'll see in a week or so.

Xs3 if Finley is in does this mean Brown is out?

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 11:25:13 AM »
It's not JUST money that makes the Heat the leading contenders for Finley -- look at everything:

1)  Heat (Phoenix and Minnesota) all have a starting position to offer Finley.

2)  Look at the courtship of different teams:
       Phoenix -- Nash, Amare, Coach -- 6 reps go to court Finley.
       Heat -- I don't think they sent more than a couple but several players have contacted Finley personally.
       Minnesota -- not sure who is going from the TWolves.
       Spurs - Pop (that's it) -- not even a mention of other players contacting Finley.

3)  THEN you add the money into it -- it's obvious from the courtship that Phoenix DESPARATELY wants Finley to join them.  The Heat have also launched a full court press for Finley -- I don't see the Spurs doing that.  And when you add the money into the pot along with starting position, playing time and the money, it frankly makes sense for Miami to be the preference (Phoenix would be next -- mainly because I think that Miami has a better shot at a title than Phoenix).  

I don't know WHY Finley would sign with the Spurs -- sure, with the Spurs he has, perhaps, the best shot at a title but the Spurs don't need him -- they simply would like him.  Both Miami and Phoenix need him (and the Suns need him badly).

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 11:35:50 AM »
I am *SO* lost on this money situation.

The terms of the CBA do NOT allow for double-dipping.  So why is money a question?

Can someone PLEASE clear this up?

How much money will Finley make, both long term and short term, if he signs with another team for:

1)  1.1 million
2)  2.5 million
3)  5 million

My understanding is:

1)  1.1 million from new team, 4.08 million from Dallas
2)  2.5 million from new team, 2.68 million from Dallas
3)  5 million from new team, .18 million from Dallas

Unless Finley signs a deal for more than 3 years, it doesn't MATTER what they offer him.  And if he's signing for at least 3 years, he'll get Bird rights.  Why would any team offer Finley anything other than a 3-year, 1.1 million dollar contract?

Help me out here!

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 12:17:40 PM »
I don't know about the money either and I think it's going to be interesting to see how this rule is going to be applied to Finley.

The PURPOSE of the rule was to keep players from "double-dipping" (i.e. adding money to the salary they were already being paid).  Finley's "salary" was to be over $10 mill a year this year.  However, he isn't being PAID a salary any more -- he is being paid installment payments -- this SHOULD change everything.

IMO, this "double dip" shouldn't apply to Finley UNLESS it means that he is going to make more than he would have THIS season.  Otherwise, he is being penalized TWICE for being part of the amnesty clause.  

Now, whatever amount he is paid by whatever team he signs with SHOULD be taken from his installment payments -- but that money should be spread out over time -- just like his salary is being spread out over years.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005, 02:35:08 PM »
I gave up trying to figure out salaries, salary caps, salary rules, salary cap rules, rule exceptions, amnesty, amnesty exceptions, amnesty salary cap rule exceptions governed by the first full moon after the spring equinox but only in a leap year a long, long, time ago, I find I understand a good glass of Black Bush with a splash much better thank you very much!
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 03:08:44 PM »
I gave up trying to figure out salaries, salary caps, salary rules, salary cap rules, rule exceptions, amnesty, amnesty exceptions, amnesty salary cap rule exceptions governed by the first full moon after the spring equinox but only in a leap year a long, long, time ago, I find I understand a good glass of Black Bush with a splash much better thank you very much!
Irish whiskey!!! Pah!!!!

Saddle up to an Islay single malt like Bunnahabhain Whisky straight, and you will find your nirvana.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 03:10:56 PM »
I don't know about the money either and I think it's going to be interesting to see how this rule is going to be applied to Finley.

The PURPOSE of the rule was to keep players from "double-dipping" (i.e. adding money to the salary they were already being paid).  Finley's "salary" was to be over $10 mill a year this year.  However, he isn't being PAID a salary any more -- he is being paid installment payments -- this SHOULD change everything.

IMO, this "double dip" shouldn't apply to Finley UNLESS it means that he is going to make more than he would have THIS season.  Otherwise, he is being penalized TWICE for being part of the amnesty clause.  

Now, whatever amount he is paid by whatever team he signs with SHOULD be taken from his installment payments -- but that money should be spread out over time -- just like his salary is being spread out over years.
I really think the point is that these guys are all under contract already, so they can pick and chose which team they prefer to play on and not have to factor in money at all, if they chose not to.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2005, 03:37:41 PM »
I really think the point is that these guys are all under contract already, so they can pick and chose which team they prefer to play on and not have to factor in money at all, if they chose not to.
Then why is every talking head internet or otherwise ESPN CNN YahooSports S.I. all talking about the $$ differences the Heat Suns Spurs TWolves can offer them?

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 08:48:49 AM »
Reality,

That's why I'm asking.  I want to understand the difference.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 11:03:32 AM »
My original statement was based off articles I read when the new agreement came out but can no longer access.  I spent a little time reading the actual CBA (from the NBAPA site...don't have exact addy here at work) and there is an offset provision but it is complicated.  It first off depends on if the signing team is over the salary cap (all of the ones mentioned are) and then adjusts the amount Finley will receive from Dallas but for less than a $ for $ amount.  And no, Randy, it doesn't say whether it all comes in one year or is spread out over the remaining contract.

Based on this it appears that Finley would make slightly more...maybe $1-2 mil...with the Miami deal.  But IMO that isn't enough $$$ to make it a major factor in his decision.

As far as Pop being the only one to go visit Finley...that just fits the Spurs style of staying as low key as possible.  I'm sure if Finley wanted to talk to the entire roster of the Spurs that phone numbers and/or flights could be arranged.   :bash:  :crazy:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 11:11:36 AM »

Based on this it appears that Finley would make slightly more...maybe $1-2 mil...with the Miami deal.  But IMO that isn't enough $$$ to make it a major factor in his decision.

As far as Pop being the only one to go visit Finley...that just fits the Spurs style of staying as low key as possible.  I'm sure if Finley wanted to talk to the entire roster of the Spurs that phone numbers and/or flights could be arranged.   :bash:  :crazy:
Right on.  If he wants to be part of a t-e-a-m and play winning ball, fine welcome to the Spurs (or any of the others Finley would want to contribute to).

If he is looking to be pampered and play for stats only, get and stay out of SA.  Your application has been rejected.  I look for big things from Barry so if he signs with SA great.  If not great.