Author Topic: OT: Bush's New TV Ads depict WTC clips  (Read 8801 times)

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
OT: Bush's New TV Ads depict WTC clips
« on: March 04, 2004, 09:25:41 AM »
[size=8]Read below: For me, that depends, I guess it depends on WHICH image they show. I can see how a victims family would be tramatized by seeing this in a presidential campaign ad.  Your thoughts?[/size]

Bush Campaign Defends Ads That Some Families of Sept. 11 Victims Say Are in Poor Taste
The Associated Press

NEW YORK March 4 — President Bush's re-election campaign on Thursday defended commercials using images from the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, including wreckage of the World Trade Center, as appropriate for an election about public policy and the war on terror.

Some families of the victims of the attacks are angry with Bush for airing the spots, which they called in poor taste and for the president's political gain.

"With all due respect, I just completely disagree, and I believe the vast majority of the American people will as well," Karen Hughes, a Bush campaign adviser, told "The Early Show" on CBS. "September 11th was not just a distant tragedy. It's a defining event for the future of our country. ... Obviously, all of us mourn and grieve for the victims of that terrible day, but September 11 fundamentally changed our public policy in many important ways, and I think it's vital that the next president recognize that."

The first three ads, unveiled Wednesday at campaign headquarters in suburban Washington, will run on broadcast channels in about 80 markets in 18 states, most of which are expected to be critical to the election, and nationwide on select cable networks.

"It's a slap in the face of the murders of 3,000 people," Monica Gabrielle, whose husband died in the twin towers, told the New York Daily News for its Thursday editions. "It is unconscionable."

Two of the spots show the destruction at the World Trade Center and include an American flag flying amid the debris. They also feature images of firefighters working through the wreckage.

"It's as sick as people who stole things out of the place," said Firefighter Tommy Fee of Queens Rescue Squad 270. "The image of firefighters at ground zero should not be used for this stuff, for politics."

The ads do not mention Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, focusing instead on improving Bush's image after criticism by Democrats in recent months.

"I would be less offended if he showed a picture of himself in front of the Statue of Liberty," said Tom Roger, whose daughter perished on American Airlines Flight 11. "But to show the horror of 9/11 in the background, that's just some advertising agency's attempt to grab people by the throat."

Hughes said the ads are a tasteful reminder of what the country has been through the last three years.

"I can understand why some Democrats might not want the American people to remember the great leadership and strength the president and first lady Laura Bush brought to our country in the aftermath of that," she said.

Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 10:37:40 AM »
What a disgrace.

I'm sure Ted will find the silver lining in this POS cloud.

The Bush camp should be ashamed of themselves.

And here I thought Bush couldn't possibly outdisgrace himself after that draft dodger put on a uniform for the camera's.

What a POS!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 10:46:04 AM »
I think your right. If my wife or daughter had perished on that terrible day, and if I were to see some political ad showing a smoldering, burning wreckage, having to relive that, just knowing that my daughter was trapped somewhere in that mess, it would eat me up alive.  Totally innapropriate.   :unsure:  :(

Paul

jn

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 10:49:02 AM »
Why do you guys hate America?    :blink:  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 10:55:01 AM »
Because THEY STOLE THE LAND FROM MY PEOPLE!!!!!!!   Now, if you will excuse me, I need to go to McDonalds to get a Happy Meal. SUPERSIZED...  Can I call the order in on my new cel phone...  Damn, don't want to drive, my Jag is low on gas.... :lol:  :lol:  
Paul

jn

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 11:06:35 AM »
A JAG???? You dirty tea sipping Limey Lover!  If you don't by a Hummer you might as well be selling weapons to Osama!!!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 11:08:26 AM »
Ahh...I see....
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 11:09:21 AM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 11:14:07 AM »
A JAG???? You dirty tea sipping Limey Lover!  If you don't by a Hummer you might as well be selling weapons to Osama!!!
I bet his cell phone is from some Jap company as well.  Not to mention the beef sold in McDonald's is from a country founded by convicted criminals, Australia!

Foreighner lover!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 11:28:51 AM »
OK, I'll fess up. I drive a SATURN!!  And the car buried deep in my garage is a 66 Mustang, so THERE!  :angry:  
Paul

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 12:49:45 PM »
http://www.georgewbush.com/tvads/

Here the ads. I don't think the ads are as bad as people made em out to be.
Paul

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 01:09:58 PM »
http://www.georgewbush.com/tvads/

Here the ads. I don't think the ads are as bad as people made em out to be.
I don't think what is depicted in the add is bad just question why it's being used at all.

The most amazing thing is that the first commercial makes Bush look like an intelligent coherent human being.  That type of cinematography and special effects puts the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy to shame.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 01:10:23 PM by WayOutWest »
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2004, 01:55:43 PM »
Reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw:

BUSH IS SAURON
SAVE THE SHIRE!
Paul

Offline gaither

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2004, 10:59:53 PM »
Like most political ads, they're 99% BS. The last one is a play on Reagan's old "ain't things just grand" theme. This just shows how of touch and clueless, you really are, Bush. As for the first one, if you know what you need to do to make this country strong, then why aren't you doing it?! I guess you think if you call yourself a strong leader often enough, people might start to believe it. Who knows, it could work? They say repetition is a key in advertising.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2004, 11:01:03 PM »
For the record.

I think it was a stupid move. The ads weren't that inflammatory, but Bush's people should have been sensitive enough to know that those images bring back a lot hell to a lot of people. There are better ways to emphasize Bush's leadership after 9/11.

Now WoW, are you satisfied? If you're not, I know a good proctologist who can extract that two by four from your pinched, left-wing, tree-hugging, America-hating, white-bashing, Christian-loathing, homophobic, liberal arse-hole.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2004, 09:44:03 AM »
There is no doubt that Bush is set in his convictions, and he is a strong leader.  He's out of touch with the average American though.  Sure, the average person is concerned with terror and gay marriage, but I don't think that is their priority.  People are worried about  finding a job, putting food on their table, deficits, big government (that used to be just a demo thing remember, not anymore), bankruptchy, big brother, loss of rights, outsourcing of jobs, and tax cuts, etc...

I think in his own mind, he's doing the right thing. But every soundbite I hear coming from Bush, its just so well rehearsed, like an unfunny comedian reading from a cue card.  I saw that when he was Texas governor too, he's not the brightest bulb in the bunch, its almost like everything he does is spoonfed to him by Karl Rove.

AND WHERE THE HELL IS DICK CHENEY? Living under a cave?
Paul