Author Topic: Sixers sign Steven Hunter  (Read 2695 times)

rickortreat

Sixers sign Steven Hunter
« on: August 12, 2005, 08:05:01 PM »
Glad to see the Sixers got some help at the 4 and 5 spot.  I wonder how good he really is.  He didn't get a whole lot of minutes in Phoenix, but considering he was playing behind Amare that's not surprising.

Is anyone out there familliar with his game?  Sixers fans want to know.

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 04:23:50 PM »
I know that Steven Hunter is athletic and can run the floor.  What he lacks in ability he tries to make up for in work ethic.  From what little I've seen of him in Orlando and Phoenix, he doesn't have much of an offensive games.  Though he'll make the most of his opportunites: offensive rebounds, PG penetration and dish to baseline, etc.  On the defensive end, he's a good man to man defender who won't shy away from physical play and will meet penetrators (gets blocks).  While fast up and down the court is not overly quick (doesn't get steals).  As a rebounder, he'll happily pound the offensive  glass but over-zealousness on meeting cutters makes him a below-average defensive rebounder.  A horrible free throw shooter, but stays within his limited offensive game to put up a respectable FG percentage.  

I know that the Mavs wanted this kid, bad.  Whatever that's worth.    

Bottom Line:  hasn't gotten sustained minutes to really evaluate what he is capable of, but shows promise as a top-notch defender and his work ethic is encouraging.        
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 04:39:17 PM »
Skandery,

I agree with some of your assessment:

He's a tough hard-nosed player who will give 150% on the floor and is willing to leave body parts on the floor rather than shy from contact.  He will work tirelessly and is a decent man-to-man defender.  I don't think he is going to be much better than a Mark Madsen -- don't get me wrong, those guys are invaluable role players on great teams but he isn't anything more than that.  I don't think he is going to be an excellent defender and nothing more than an adequate rebounder.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 04:43:06 PM »
My take on Steven Hunter is:  came into the league because Orlando desperately needed a center.  Since that time, Olrando has *STILL* needed a center, and he's not there any more.  Do the math.

The guy is a hustle player without the talent of a Jerome Williams or a Bo Outlaw.  A good fit for a high octane offense that just needs a warm body at center that isn't afraid of contact.  Perfect for Phoenix or Dallas - a liability for Philadelphia...unless you're looking for someone to make you appreciate the offensive skills of Samuel Dalembert.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 06:08:41 PM »
He's a hustle player with one caveat.  Great weakside shotblocking.  Which makes him a great backup to Dalembert.  Whereas samuel is actually much better at getting blocks against his own man (and actually a poor rotational shotblocker), Hunter excels in this area.

Everything else is a work in progress.  No offensive game, other than easy opportunities (which is all we'll ask him to do, with Allen, iguodala and chris creating opportunities).  Can't shoot a free throw.  And fundamentally doesn't know the game very well.  But he'll work hard and, for 15-20 minutes/night, he'll allow our defense not to break apart and allow us to funnel drives into him.  Which will make him a good backup / role player.

rickortreat

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 07:34:56 PM »
Sounds good to me.  I wasn't expecting a great player, but he sounds like someone who will help back up Dalembert.  Given that Sam is a little foul prone, it was a must for us to get someone to back him up.

Fortunately, were not a team that needs a lot out of the Center postion.  Just play defense, get rebounds, blocks and the odd open easy basket or two.

Sounds like less of an offensive player that Marc Jackson, but a better player on defense and the boards.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 11:06:47 AM »
He is a "Causwell" player, named after Duane Causwell.

A seven footer with no NBA basketball game whatsoever, these players are often called "athletic shotblockers" who can rebound a bit, but have never understood how to fit into the offensive side of the game.

These are NOT players you should ever label as having 'potential', or even 'underachieving'.  They have no potential to reach and will never achieve any more then what they had when originally brought into the League.

These are guys who really have no interest in basketball itself, but grew very tall and everyone else expected them to automatically like the game because of that.

And who really just could not ignore getting so much money for just being seven feet tall.

BTW, the Kings signed 6'11" Jamal Sampson, Ralph's cousin, this summer, so it will look like the Kings have addressed their front line size issue in the team photo.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 12:41:23 PM »
Ostertag fits that description JoMal:

"These are guys who really have no interest in basketball itself, but grew very tall and everyone else expected them to automatically like the game because of that."

The difference is, at least the aforementioned players had some defensive skills, Ostertag has no talent on either side of the court, and flat out said he plays ball because he is tall and the money is good, this was BEFORE Larry Miller gave away the bank to this clown after he had ONE decent year.
Dan

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 01:02:36 PM »
You also can include Kwame Brown on that assessment. More skilled then the others, he clearly is not that interested in the game of basketball itself and is unlikely to become interested in it any time soon.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

rickortreat

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 01:48:33 PM »
Wait a minute the ultimate name for a stiff who could not play is Uwe Blap.  I was in Dallas at the time and went down to see a practice.

Derek Harper was teaching them all a dribling drill.  Stand with the feet apart and drible the ball in a figure eight pattern around your legs.  Ewe kept loosing the ball,  completly uncoordinated.  Barely even got into the games even when during garbage time.

Ostertag looks like an all star by comparison!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 02:14:01 PM »
Ostertag, is a fair rebounder and a pretty decent defender (when he was motivated -- which I believe was his previous contract year -- he hasn't done anything since then).  He certainly doesn't rate in the Hunter category, IMO, Hunter (see Mark Madsen as well) have ZERO talent but the DO work hard and hustle night in and night out -- on every play.  They don't give up and cop attitudes -- that's why neither Ostertag nor Kwame Brown belong on that list, IMO.  Both have at least a LITTLE potential -- Hunter doesn't have any, IMO.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 03:29:10 PM »
Well, this is lots of fun.

Name the seven foot tall (or more) greatest stiffs to ever play in the NBA, who clearly were only in the League because they could touch the rim flatfooted.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 03:37:50 PM »
Georghe Muresan -- wow, not only a tall incredibly uncoordinated individual but a tremendously ugly guy!

rickotreat

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 03:51:13 PM »
Manute Bol.

Yeah, Gheorge was the ugliest player ever in the NBA!

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 04:01:44 PM »
"Do you want to smell like me?"

That was an awesome commercial for Muresan, though.  

And Georghe wasn't that uncoordinated, the guy was good enough to average 21 points and 9 rebounds in France.  Something this year's French draftees (Ian Mahinmi, Johan Petro, and Gibala) couldn't do.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Worthless in all aspects of the game and lead to the downfall of my beloved team.

:fire:  :fire: Jim McIlvaine.   :fire:  :fire:  
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."