Author Topic: Lakers trade Caron Butler?  (Read 2988 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Lakers trade Caron Butler?
« on: June 27, 2005, 01:16:03 PM »
Heard on Sports Talk that the Lakers traded Caron Butler and the number 10 pick to Portland for the number 3 pick in the draft.

I really liked Butler and think it's a bad trade BUT I don't know enough about the draft this year to say for sure if this is a bad trade.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 01:20:39 PM »
From the Draft ramblings, with the #3 pick, the Lakers have no chance at either Andrew Bogut or Marvin Williams.  But the likes of Gerald Green, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and Raymond Felton will still be there.    
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 01:44:25 PM »
I don't belive it is a done deal, I think it is one of many offer that Portland has got.  I would be surprised if they make a deal until the actual draft happens, but I do believe they will make a deal.  The 3rd and 4th best players in this draft are PG, and Portland has a greater need at shootong guard than at PG.
They need a defender first an foremost, but someone who can create his own shot, and hit a 3.  They will not trade for a SF, as they have lots of SF already.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 02:43:20 PM »
You are correct Ziqqy, the "done deal" has now cooled off to a "probable trade" at this hour's update.

Skandery, you must be as nutty as Joe V with your following of b-ball.  I'm a Laker fan and didn't even have a clue that Deron Williams is at the top of the Lakers wish list.  Do you guys lap from the same watering hole or something?
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 02:49:58 PM »
Deron Williams has jumped up to #3 on most people's draft board.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 03:08:13 PM »
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Hope the trade gets shot down!  PJ has gone on record saying he likes Butler's play.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 03:08:40 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 04:10:35 PM »
Will the Lakers draft for need? They need a point guard, and trading up to the top five would get them a chance at the only decent ones in this draft. If they hold on to the pick, then they go to the second alternative and draft the best guy available, such as May, Graham, Villanueva, or some comparable guy to do some low post scoring and rebounding.

The pickin's in this draft for anyone looking for immediate help taper off after about eight or nine, so just a thought but any team picking in those spots would wait for a somewhat desparate team to come calling with the best offer.

If the Lakers made the offer, Portland could wait to see if something better comes along prior to making any rash decision this far before they draft.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 04:28:51 PM »
Although I'm always happy to take credit for being a basketball god of knowledge, B)  it was just an educated guess that made sense.  

The Lakers need a point guard, Deron Williams is projected at point guard.  Using my master powers of deduction, I inferred that they might use the #3 pick (should they get it) on Williams.  

Actually my personal opinion is that both Williamses have been massively over-rated.  They say Marvin is the next KG, I'm going to have to see that to believe it.  And Deron, I love the guy's defense and size, but his decision-making, running the offense, and lack of speed have me worried.  Plus the fact that he played SG/SF for Illinois more than he played PG.      

"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 04:52:40 PM »
Deron Williams would be the Lakers' pick.  Why?  Phil Jackson wants the following out of his point guard:  SIZE, DEFENSE, and a decent outside shot.  Williams is a perfect fit to the triangle - moreso than he'd be to most other teams.

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 06:55:31 PM »
Although I'm always happy to take credit for being a basketball god of knowledge, B)  it was just an educated guess that made sense.  

The Lakers need a point guard, Deron Williams is projected at point guard.  Using my master powers of deduction, I inferred that they might use the #3 pick (should they get it) on Williams.  

Actually my personal opinion is that both Williamses have been massively over-rated.  They say Marvin is the next KG, I'm going to have to see that to believe it.  And Deron, I love the guy's defense and size, but his decision-making, running the offense, and lack of speed have me worried.  Plus the fact that he played SG/SF for Illinois more than he played PG.
What Illinois team did you watch?  Williams got most of the time at PG for the Illini.  Dee Brown played a little, but mostly stayed at SG.  They've already said he'll get most of the work at PG this coming season now that Williams is gone.  And Head started at SF.  If you watched the games, Williams ran the point most of the time.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 11:05:29 PM »
Dont the Lakers need a better big man in the middle?  Do you think they will trade for someone?  I dont see any real bigs worth a squat from what I have read, but I would imagina Phil will want someone who can move faster than a rock to help with the triangle..

what about your salary cap?  since it has been upped does that help the lakers out at all now?
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 02:35:42 PM »
What Illinois team did you watch? Williams got most of the time at PG for the Illini. Dee Brown played a little, but mostly stayed at SG. They've already said he'll get most of the work at PG this coming season now that Williams is gone. And Head started at SF. If you watched the games, Williams ran the point most of the time.

Illinois technically played a 3G, 2F starting 5.  Williams, Brown, and Head were all Guards.  The offense that I saw ran (and everyone else who saw the championship) was Williams coming off screens (much like a shooting guard) and slashing to the basket from the wings (much like a small forward).  Dee Brown brought the ball up the court most of the time.  Hence my statement he played more SG/SF than PG.  Limited though that may be, being just one game.  

Now I would think that throughout the season it really didn't matter who was playing what, as the first person to get a rebound was probably a good enough dribbler to run up the court for Illinois to get layup after layup.  From the highlights I saw, my opinion is that Dee Brown ran the break better than Deron Williams.  And Luther Head was a more explosive perimeter scorer.  Now if you want a big defender who is a capable shooter at the PG, Deron is your guy.  

jn

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 03:06:07 PM »
Slight disagreement Skandery.  Being a Big 10 fan I saw plenty of Illinois and you are correct that they ran a three guard set.   Williams was definitely the main ballhandler, though Brown, and to a lesser extent, Head did a fair amount of ball handling.  Conventional wisdom had it that Brown was speedier end to end than Williams so that may account for why he looked better on the break.  I have to think that individual workouts must have altered that perception as Williams is certainly a hot commodity right now.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 04:07:22 PM »
BTW, the #3 pick was traded to the Jazz for 6 and 27.

Offline Skandery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 04:14:07 PM »
That doesn't change anything, as I understand, the Jazz absolutely love Deron Williams.  B)