Poll

While we are on the music kick here, Zepplin or The Who

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Led Zepplin or The Who  (Read 2063 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Led Zepplin or The Who
« on: March 02, 2004, 08:17:34 PM »
Since we are on this music kick, which band did you prefer, Led Zepplin or the Who?
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Led Zepplin or The Who
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 01:27:10 AM »
I like them both but I voted for 'The Who' because somehow their music always ends up in the stereo or on my playlist.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
Led Zepplin or The Who
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 09:52:36 AM »
IMO they are very close to equal in terms of my appreciation of their music....I have several cds of each.  Zepplin was much more heavy metal and The Who was rock with a touch of pop.  But if it came down to being able to see one or the other in concert (impossible I know) I would choose Zepplin over The Who.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Led Zepplin or The Who
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 11:32:53 AM »
Led Zepplin, though my wife's vote would cancel it out.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Led Zepplin or The Who
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 01:54:00 PM »
I agree with BBF, this is really apples and oranges; Metal verses Rock, 2 bands very divergent in their style, lyrically and musically.

Musically, the Zep is a vastly more talented band, Page, Bonham, and Jones did more with 3 pieces than the Who ever could, and they relied on one lead vocalist, unlike the Who, who had the luxury of 2, and my preference was always Pete Townshend over Roger Daltry, in fact I prefer Pete Townshend’s solo career over the Who as a band.

If Led Zeppelin had a weakness, it was their penchant for doing covers, not that that is a bad thing, but Daltry and Townshend were better songwriters, some of their stuff was just flat brilliant, even if the band lacked the Zep’s musical talent. That was the same knock for years on Pink Floyd, average musical talent, unbelievable songwriters, it wasn’t until Sid Barrett went totally nuts and they replaced him with David Gilmour, an extremely talented guitarist, that they started to be recognized as a musically talented band to complement their ensemble songwriting (mostly Gilmour and Waters) which IMHO is absolutely the best the world has ever seen outside of Lennon and McCartney.
Dan