Author Topic: Congratulations to the Spurs  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Skandery

• MSN Messenger - skandery27@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Congratulations to the Spurs
« on: June 23, 2005, 11:03:11 PM »
What a move by Popovich to place Bowen on Billups, knowing Billups was going to take it upon himself to try and win the game.  Does Billups make that mental adjustment or not, and he did NOT??

For those keeping score on Mr. Hall of Famer, a great three pointer in the fourth quarter, a VERY IMPORTANT offensive rebound in the last two minutes, an ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL MOMENTUM CHANGING OFFENSIVE FOUL DRAWN (aren't you Spurs fans happy he didn't take Vancil's advice and go up for the block), and two free throws made in the last seconds.  I still believe his 5th game three pointer allowed this championship to happen for the Spurs.

Duncan, what a great game.  An awesome 5 for 6 from the three point line.  Both crucial assists to Bowen and Ginobili's threes in the fourth.

WOW, I love this freakin' game.  

My pick for MVP, MANU GINOBILI.  

Congratulations to every Spurs fans out there.  And congratulations to Pistons fans for putting up such a great fight.  I feel honored to be an NBA fan thanks to the best Finals series I've ever seen.    
"But guys like us, we don't pay attention to the polls. We know that polls are just a collection of statistics that reflect what people are thinking in 'reality'. And reality has a well-known liberal bias."

rickortreat

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 11:31:29 PM »
This game was called as well as could be by the officials.  It was as clean a game as I've seen in a long time.

The game was very even for a long time, with neither team really in contol.

Finally in the third quarter, San Antonio began to build a lead that they managed to hold for a while.  Even though Detroit came back, they ran out of gas towards the end of the fourth and San Antonio was able to pour it on, thanks to Genobli, DunKan making his freethrows, and a great block by Bruce Bowen.

San Antonio prooved they were the better team, but Detroit has nothing to be ashamed of, they had a great run and earned their title, just as the Spurs did tonight.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 02:02:29 AM »
What a move by Popovich to place Bowen on Billups, knowing Billups was going to take it upon himself to try and win the game.  Does Billups make that mental adjustment or not, and he did NOT??

For those keeping score on Mr. Hall of Famer, a great three pointer in the fourth quarter, a VERY IMPORTANT offensive rebound in the last two minutes, an ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL MOMENTUM CHANGING OFFENSIVE FOUL DRAWN (aren't you Spurs fans happy he didn't take Vancil's advice and go up for the block), and two free throws made in the last seconds.  I still believe his 5th game three pointer allowed this championship to happen for the Spurs.

Duncan, what a great game.  An awesome 5 for 6 from the three point line.  Both crucial assists to Bowen and Ginobili's threes in the fourth.

WOW, I love this freakin' game.  

My pick for MVP, MANU GINOBILI.  

Congratulations to every Spurs fans out there.  And congratulations to Pistons fans for putting up such a great fight.  I feel honored to be an NBA fan thanks to the best Finals series I've ever seen.
 :hail: Horry
 :hail:  GNob (did not see this post until after i posted, we agree MVP)

concur on Duncans FTs.  Huge, as well as his assists.  I say his assists were GNob inspired after GNob took the compleletly busted play (Duncan holding ball for 18 seconds, gives back to GNob at top of key)  Gnob shakes, bakes, drives n draws D then hits Duncan who nails the outside jumper.

:hail:  Brent Barrys Horrylike game also.  Intangibles, 3 pters, running short jumper, couple sweet assists, great D, he is so long he had a much better time then Parker.  Altho Parker got burned by Grandpa Salvatore a couple times. :rolleyes:

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 02:36:40 AM »
Duuncan shut me up real quick.  He was making excellent moves to the basket in the second half and did exactly what I thought he should be doing....using his superior bball skills to take it at the Pisyons defense.  He also showed some emotion!!!!!  The rest of the team played well and Barry/Horry really gave a lift off the bench.  Gotta love how well they all executed down the stretch.

Very boring slug fest at first but a very very enjoyable 2nd half as the teams sensed the urgency.  I thought the Pistons really played a good game but cannot beat a team like the Spurs when they are playing this well with one another.

Congrads Spurs fans your guys deserved to win it all.  They define team basketball what more can I say?  Bowen came up HUGE, Horry played very well, Duncan played like everyone knows he can, and Manu was really showing his maturity down the stretch.  From top to bottom everyone played their role and got the job done.  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 02:38:33 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 08:43:44 AM »
Congrats, very good game and a great 3 game series.

Manu was my choice for MVP.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 09:36:06 AM »
Perhaps, w/o Bowen though, this team would have been beaten in 5.
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 10:37:45 AM »
OHHHHHHH MAN!!!  You talk a hell of a series, that was AWESOME!.  I heard they were already showing games 5&6 on ESPN classic.

I know you guys dont think Horry is hall of fame material- but the guy HAS THE MOST THREES IN THE PLAYOFFS - OVER JORDAN.  AND NOW IS ONLY THE SECOND PERSON TO EVER GET A TITLE ON THREE DIFFERENT TEAMS.  His name will be around the NBA well after he is gone.

I was worried there for a bit, down by seven, before Tim through a DIVE for the ball!!!   TIMMY TIMMY TIMMY!  the team took note and got the job done after that!

Man I partied all night it was insane, freeways were packed people trying to go party, cruise and honk horns running in stand still traffic with spurs flags.  i even saw some nice flashes last night from some hot looking girls...and that was on the freeway on my way to go party with some more of my friends!  it was crazy!

just woke up, got my menudo---man this stuff works wonders---and i am enjoying the post game coverage.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 12:01:18 PM »
Well, congratulations again for a well-deserved win. My MVP would have been Horry simply because there WAS no game seven without him.  :cheers:

Nice to hear how San Antonio celebrates championships. About as close as I will ever get, I am afraid.  :cry:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2005, 12:29:08 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 02:19:18 PM »
I agree, Horry = game 7 and a championship. Everyone else contributed in the games 1 & 2 blowouts, everyone took the lumps in the games 3 & 4 pastings, but in the pivotal absolutely must win or don't even bother playing the last 2 game 5, Horry, and ONLY Horry, elevated his game, strapped the Spurs on his back and willed them to victory, for that matter, they were dead meat in game 7 if Horry and hadn't stepped up big in the first half, it would have been a runaway if he hadn't kept the Spurs close in the first and second quarters.

No question he should be the MVP, in fact IMHO, Ginobili, not Duncan, was a better choice if they weren't going to give it to Big Shot Rob. Duncan may have stepped up in this game and silenced (for now) some critics who accuse him of being soft, but his disappearing act in the 3 losses and the game 5 win disqualify him as far as I am concerned.
Dan

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 02:38:38 PM »
One more thing, Joe, you made some valid points regarding the HOF, and while Robert Horry has nowhere near the numbers during the regular season, he has had not just a direct impact on 6 of the last 12 NBA Finals, he has had an impact on many playoff games as well, and his presense in this Finals is absolutely the only reason the Spurs are celebrating today, his little steals, his blocks, his long arms disrupting shots, all the little intangibles when it really, really, counts, is why he is HOF material. I would have even agreed with you before this post season that he doesn't belong in the HOF, I posted this topic some months ago and as I recall, the same basic arguments you make now were made then, and then I even agreed, but not anymore, his impact when everything is on the line simply cannot be ignored, the NBA's or your criteria notwithstanding, sometimes a player transcends such mundane things as numbers, Horry is such player.
Dan