Author Topic: Looks like no lockout  (Read 1924 times)

rickortreat

Looks like no lockout
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 08:40:04 AM »
Lots of good stuff in that agreement.  Sort of highlights the difference between a smart comissioner like Stern and the bozo's who run Hockey.

I don't think the age restriction really means much.  A prospect is not going to gain that much maturity or understanding in a year, anyway.  It will, however, force these kids into either a minor b-ball league or college for a year, which is a good thing.

I'd like to see them lower ticket prices, however.   I wonder how much money the league can get in their next TV contract.   :rolleyes:

The nice thing is that Donald Sterling won't get so much of a reward for being such a cheap bastard.  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Looks like no lockout
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 11:06:52 AM »
I would have liked for more (1 more year of college, 1 less year of guaranteed contracts).  But at this point, those were minor, and I wasn't willing to give up one ounce of even training camp to get those additions.

Nice compromise.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Looks like no lockout
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 11:18:23 AM »
Teams would pick up an extra option year on rookie contracts. Currently, first-round picks are tied into a league salary scale. When a first-round pick signs a contract, the first three years are guaranteed, with a team option for the fourth year. Players are paid a set amount based on where they were selected in the draft. Under the new proposed rules, first-round picks would get the first two years of their contract guaranteed. The third and fourth years of the contract would be team options."

So teams no longer will be stuck paying a Kwame Brown as someone who went #1 for that 3rd season if hes a bust??  Not that rooks make that much anyways but sounds like a good idea.

" No super luxury tax. Owners had been pushing for a "super tax" for teams who exceed the salary cap by more than a certain percentage. They would be penalized $2 for every dollar they were over the tax threshold. However, the owners dropped their demand for a super tax under the newest proposal. "

Any idea why this was dropped???

Im slow today guys im on 500 mg vicodin because of my hand hehe
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 11:19:45 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Looks like no lockout
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 11:25:01 AM »
Teams would pick up an extra option year on rookie contracts. Currently, first-round picks are tied into a league salary scale. When a first-round pick signs a contract, the first three years are guaranteed, with a team option for the fourth year. Players are paid a set amount based on where they were selected in the draft. Under the new proposed rules, first-round picks would get the first two years of their contract guaranteed. The third and fourth years of the contract would be team options."

So teams no longer will be stuck paying a Kwame Brown as someone who went #1 for that 3rd season if hes a bust??  Not that rooks make that much anyways but sounds like a good idea.

" No super luxury tax. Owners had been pushing for a "super tax" for teams who exceed the salary cap by more than a certain percentage. They would be penalized $2 for every dollar they were over the tax threshold. However, the owners dropped their demand for a super tax under the newest proposal. "

Im slow today guys im on 500 mg vicodin because of my hand hehe
probably because of the amount top name players would get in a shorter contract and higher salary cap, you probably have more chances of going OVER the cap with this new agreement and hard nose agents.  Thats the only thing I can see about this whole thing, the teams save money on unproven talent, but the value on proven talent can go higher with shorter contracts and new cap.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looks like no lockout
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 12:37:21 PM »

More penalty for giving bigger contracts means less big contracts get given out.  It's a concession to the players.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Looks like no lockout
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 11:20:44 AM »
Actually, most of these 'concessions' made by both the union and the League were made to save pro basketball.

The ratings for the finals this year are way down, especially for the 18-49 age group, which the NY Times reported was 40 percent of what they were from last year.

That, along with Congress poking pro sports to better monitor the drug usage among its players, the weight of NBA licensing and television partners, who have grown weary of work stoppages and the high cost of airing games, and the dangerous ripple affect that a work stopage would have on people who work directly for NBA franchises as well as businesses who profit from the proximity of a sports franchise (implying that cities like San Antonio and Sacramento would be greatly harmed from such an action moreso then New York or Chicago), I think we can assume the NBA sides of this battle did not dare go the route of the NHL.

I am positive that neither side felt they did justice to the people they represent, but they had no choice but to concede for the sake of the game. Otherwise, we would never see such 'concessions' occur.

Sad that doing the right thing was only influenced by losing the whole business rather then just doing the right thing.

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looks like no lockout
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 12:06:10 PM »
Some other big changes:
- A TRUE minor league (NBDL) in which teams can send first and 2nd year players down to and call up at any time.  Players still get paid, but get to play (and learn) rather than being darko'd.
- Active Rosters expanded from 12 to 14.
- Raises dropped from 10% to 8% (for signing new players) and 12.5% to 10.5% (for re-signing your own player).
- Maximum years dropped from 7 to 6 (for re-signing your own player) and from 6 to 5 (for signing a new player).
- Salary cap increased

Can't wait to see the entire CBA.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Looks like no lockout
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 01:46:53 PM »
I have to be honest;  I thought that there was absolutely, positively no possible way to avoid a lockout, and I've thought that since the beginning of the season prior to this one.  Props to the NBA and NBAPA for getting a deal done.

My take:  bigger winner in this deal:  THE PLAYERS.  Not as big as the Owners win the last time around, but definitely, on the plus side.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looks like no lockout
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 01:52:23 PM »
I have to be honest;  I thought that there was absolutely, positively no possible way to avoid a lockout, and I've thought that since the beginning of the season prior to this one.  Props to the NBA and NBAPA for getting a deal done.

My take:  bigger winner in this deal:  THE PLAYERS.  Not as big as the Owners win the last time around, but definitely, on the plus side.
Been gone for a week, so just now catching up with the new agreement.

I guess I would disagree with you Joe.  I think again the owners won.

For a player signing a $10,000,000 contract with their same team, they will get $75,000,000, while in the old contract they could have received $96,250,000.  This applies to sign and trade players as well.  From an owners perspective you reduce your risk by one year, and save over $21,000,000.

For a FA signing with a new team, at $10,000,000 they will get $58,000,000 instead of $75,000,000.  From an owners perspective you reduce your risk by one year, and save $17,000,000.

For a player signing a $6,000,000 contract with their same team, they will get $45,000,000, while in the old contract they could have received $58,000,000.  This applies to sign and trade players as well.  From an owners perspective you reduce your risk by one year, and save $13,000,000.

For a FA signing with a new team, at $6,000,000 they will get $35,000,000 instead of $45,000,000.  From an owners perspective you reduce your risk by one year, and save $10,000,000.

The owners get one less year on rookie deals, which in reality doesn't mean much.  They will reup for the 3rd year 95% of the time, but they do save on that 5%.  Players don't get anything there.

Increase to the salary cap.  Almost all the teams are over the cap anyway, and the vast majority will be over the new cap.  If they are over the new cap they will not be able to sign FA's.  I don't see a lot of additional money going to the players.

Escrow???  I don't know how much money the players paid into escrow anyway.  If they didn't pay much then this really is a non issue.  If they did pay, then dropping the % and increasing the point at which it kicks in will put money in the players pocket, but they are only going from 10% to 8%.  The owners didn't give up much to save all the other money they saved.

Age limit???  I don't know if this really was good or bad for either side.

The think the owners won, and won big.  This was also a set up for the next negotiation where they reduce contracts by one more year.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil