Author Topic: Bob Horry thread  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Bob Horry thread
« on: June 19, 2005, 11:40:10 PM »
:hail:  :hail:
If you did not see the game, it is not even just the last 3pter either.  He had like 5 plays that were simply clutch.

:hail: The left handed dunk.  That is as of here and now all time Finals highlight stuff.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 11:46:10 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Bob Horry thread
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 11:53:36 PM »
Rob Horry the best game 5 player in recent history?  :hail:

All his points in the last 12 minutes and 2 seconds??  We still love Rob out here and love to see him do what he did for us for so long.   Ill root for them to win just to see Rob go out like the champion he is.

Duncan  :puke:  what a choke job down the stretch and he def did foul Billups on that last Pistons possesion before OT.  What a great no call  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 11:55:17 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Bob Horry thread
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 11:58:05 PM »
Guess we are glad not to have gotten rid of Rob over Malik Reality??  lol j/k.

Tim started out on fire and played with fire, but he sputtered out at the end, still he gave us the push we needed to carry it out at the end.  hopefully homecrowd will help us win the series...fingers are crossed..
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Bob Horry thread
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 12:54:11 AM »
Guess we are glad not to have gotten rid of Rob over Malik Reality??  lol j/k.

Tim started out on fire and played with fire, but he sputtered out at the end, still he gave us the push we needed to carry it out at the end.  hopefully homecrowd will help us win the series...fingers are crossed..
:rofl:  :D   I don't care if the Heat offer Shaq for Horry and the Lakers offer Kobe/Odom/their present and future 1st rd picks.  I want Robt Horry retiring as a Spur. :nod:

Yeah its celebration time but its not over for sure.  You know what?  Props to 'Sheed for hitting a couple big turnaround jumpers.

With the Pistons recent history of other teams having key players get injured right before/during playoff series lets see....Duncan and Gnob will twist ankles? :eek2:  

Naw Detroit is very hard to take down without a major effort.  Esp at The Palace.
Concur hope the AlamoDome crowd energizes the Spurs.  Glad to hear them in postgame comments say it and mean it that Detroit is going to be tough in Gm6.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 12:55:55 AM by Reality »

rickortreat

Bob Horry thread
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 07:59:49 AM »
Balls of Steel.  The guy just makes great plays out there, has fun and wins.  Has five championship rings, and will get No. 6 with the Spurs next win.

Nothing fazes him.  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Bob Horry thread
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 09:46:15 AM »
Robert Horry question.

Hall of Fame player???

Yes or No.

I say hell yes.
Paul

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Bob Horry thread
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 09:48:45 AM »
Absotively Posolutely.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Bob Horry thread
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 10:06:05 AM »
He was HOF material before last night IMHO, he saved the Lakers in the Sacramento series, he saved the Spurs in this series, he saved the Rockets a couple of times as I recall, he is the deadliest, most effective, most clutch journeyman player the game has ever seen, last night wrote his legend in stone.

Name me any other player of his caliber who has no problem coming off the bench, doesn't demand the rock, quietly contributes during the regular season, paces himself to stay healthy and primed for the postseason run, and than if not needed during the postseason merely contributes where necessary, and when called upon, can just as cool and unrattled as any, and I do mean ANY superstar, past or present, reach into the opponents chest, pull out their collective heart, and eat it in front of them?

Big Shot Rob doesn't do this cat justice, he is class on and off the court and he has, from what I can see, no ego whatsoever, I will love seeing him get his 6th ring, I can think of no one more deserving.

BTW, crunch time chokers? Feel free to add Tim Duncan to that list alongside Ewing and Malone.
Dan

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Bob Horry thread
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 10:25:49 AM »
He was HOF material before last night IMHO, he saved the Lakers in the Sacramento series, he saved the Spurs in this series, he saved the Rockets a couple of times as I recall, he is the deadliest, most effective, most clutch journeyman player the game has ever seen, last night wrote his legend in stone.

Name me any other player of his caliber who has no problem coming off the bench, doesn't demand the rock, quietly contributes during the regular season, paces himself to stay healthy and primed for the postseason run, and than if not needed during the postseason merely contributes where necessary, and when called upon, can just as cool and unrattled as any, and I do mean ANY superstar, past or present, reach into the opponents chest, pull out their collective heart, and eat it in front of them?

Big Shot Rob doesn't do this cat justice, he is class on and off the court and he has, from what I can see, no ego whatsoever, I will love seeing him get his 6th ring, I can think of no one more deserving.

BTW, crunch time chokers? Feel free to add Tim Duncan to that list alongside Ewing and Malone.
Duncan did choke up at the end there, I hope he can learn from Horry when it comes to cool confidence, Horry despite the pressure, still says, "Hey, it's a game, have fun." and goes out there and leaves it all on the court.  Tim as good as he is still spends way too much time beating himself up when ONE thing goes wrong - like free throws, everyone know by now that if he misses the first couple of shots, IT'S GOING TO BE A BAD NIGHT FROM THE LINE.  Tim did get hammered in the end of the game also, but his last three games in detroit have been just horrible in general.  his performance at the end of this game and missing an easy pass just washed away his 26 point 19 rebound performance.  This guy still needs to learn i which unlike the two other players LF mentioned - Tim is one player how CAN still learn and get better as time goes on.  I think he will redeem himself somewhere down the line in his career.  Still though, he CAN learn a lot from a player like Horry.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 10:26:25 AM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Bob Horry thread
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 10:43:22 AM »
Duncan can seriously be considered a crunch time choker at times, but in the history books, choker will be long forgoten, the man has potentially won 3 rings. That's all the peeps remember.
Paul

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Bob Horry thread
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 11:06:54 AM »
It may be all that fans remember 101, but if not for Big Shot Rob last night, the Spurs are in a 2-3 hole and Duncan's choke reaches legendary status. The problem is, and don't get me wrong, I like Duncan a lot, class act all the way, but this is not the first time the "leader" of the Spurs has blown a big game, and it will probably not be the last, and the next time there may not be an Horry or a Kerr there to bail him out, that is NOT, IMO, the recipe for the becoming the greatest PF of all time, his disappearances cost them against LA a couple of times and nearly cost them last night, the cat is not clutch, he may one day become clutch, but at this point, your superstar is a journeyman role player who only surfaces when a real man is needed to take the last shot, his name is Robert Horry.
Dan

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Bob Horry thread
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 01:22:42 PM »
You dont need to be a star to get into the HOF.  You need to make an impact.  Lets look at what Rob has

--Member of the back to back Rockets championship squad.  A high flyer making a big impact.

--Member of the Lakers 3-peat squad and playoff team with best record in playoff history (big contributor).

--Soon to be member of Spurs championship team  :nod:

--Shot against Sacremento is going down in NBA history as one of the biggest shots of all time PERIOD

--Shot last night one of the biggest shots in recent Finals history being that it ripped the heart out of the underdogs chances.

--All time 3 point playoff leader

These arent even counting the sheer number of playoff games he changed just by doing the small things.  If he isnt a HOF caliber player then I think some people need to be removed or not get in.

In hip hop there is a rule called rule #4080....record companies are shady.  In the NBA there should be a rule called rule #741 Horry shoots it your done.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 01:25:24 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

Bob Horry thread
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 02:17:37 PM »
Hall of Famer, or regular season underachiever?

Best clutch player in a long time, but when did he ever make all-star in the NBA?  If he's so valuable, why do teams trade him so much?

Where are the stats to justify his HOF status?  No scoring titles, rebound titles, assists, 6th man awards, nothing.  

Seems to me a player who can do what he does in the playoffs, should be more than just an afterthought during the regular season.  I can understand him not getting a lot of minutes now that he's getting older, but what about his younger days?

Timmy has a psych problem with free-throws.  He appears to be level headed, and rational, but maybe thats just an act.  It should be embarrassing that a player of his callibur can't shoot free throws.  Not just to him, but Popovich and the other players.  He shouldn't be able to leave practice until he makes 10 free throws in a row.  

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Bob Horry thread
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 02:37:11 PM »
I'm sure Houston, Los Angeles, and San Antonio figure he can be an underachiever all he wants during the regular season, but if the squad he is on, such as the 3 aformentioned teams, is good enough to make the playoffs without him significantly contributing during the regular season, they know that more than likely he will singlehandedly win them a game with his uber-clutch shooting, he is not the reason Houston made it to the playoffs 2 years running, but he is a huge reason they won back to back titles, he is not the reason LA made the playoffs, but they absolutely, no question in the world would not have won 3 titles without him, San Antonio did not make the playoffs because of him, but they would no question have lost the pivotal game last night without him, and IMO, they lose last night, they probably would lose the series.

Big regular season numbers? No, barely average journeyman level numbers. Significant contributor during the regular season? No, paces himself and takes whole games off. Meaningless player on whichever squad he is signed with? Try telling that to the Pistons or the Kings, or any of his other numerous post season victims, I daresay they would all tell you they wouldn't mind having this little snake in the grass on their team just waiting to rise up and deliver the venom only he is capable of delivering, he is an intangible you cannot take for granted, a deadly threat that simply must be respected, feared, and taken into account on every play where you have to defend him. Even if it is only in the post season, I can think of 3 teams that would not have all those rings without him. THAT, is HOF to me, his impact on 6 Finals with 3 different teams is to obvious to be ignored.
Dan

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Bob Horry thread
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 02:54:11 PM »
Hall of Famer, or regular season underachiever?

Best clutch player in a long time, but when did he ever make all-star in the NBA?  If he's so valuable, why do teams trade him so much?

Where are the stats to justify his HOF status?  No scoring titles, rebound titles, assists, 6th man awards, nothing.  

Seems to me a player who can do what he does in the playoffs, should be more than just an afterthought during the regular season.  I can understand him not getting a lot of minutes now that he's getting older, but what about his younger days?

Timmy has a psych problem with free-throws.  He appears to be level headed, and rational, but maybe thats just an act.  It should be embarrassing that a player of his callibur can't shoot free throws.  Not just to him, but Popovich and the other players.  He shouldn't be able to leave practice until he makes 10 free throws in a row.
Horry has always been a dagger - the man has cemented his "legend" status IMO no matter if we win or not.  the guys name will be around for a very long time, one stat to make that happen is that he passed Jordan for all-time 3 pointers in the playoffs.  Rick if he keeps this up and we win the series, the MVP will come down to Horry and Manu, right now I would be leaning towards horry for bailing us out.  but Manu would probably get it for his overall play throug out the playoffs. Thats just my opinion.

As for Timmeeeee, he has a degree in psychology!!  I think his problem is he over does it when he tries to figure himself out.