Author Topic: Spurs, this can't be happening  (Read 3930 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs, this can't be happening
« on: March 02, 2004, 02:30:01 AM »
117 points the night before.

80 points tonight.
1 basket in the last 9+ minutes.

While these things will happen, what did Zit do, tell them an offensive outburst like that better not ever happen again?

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 09:11:28 AM »
Pop TORE INTO Tony Parker after the game. Rightfully so, with the game on the line and the final seconds ticking down, Tony receives a beautiful pass from Manu, and what does he do?  He holds it, then decides to take it back out.  GAME...OVER...  Read Pop's tirade:

"I didn't see much of anything from Tony," Popovich said. "We need consistency at the point position. We can't have one night when Tony plays like a hero and the next night play like he doesn't exist. It's happened too often. He's going to have to understand as a point and as somebody who wants to be a leader of this team he has to be more prepared mentally to play when he comes into the game, when he comes back into the game. It's very important for our team.

"We can't do anything close to what we did last year if he's going to be that inconsistent."  :angry:

You tell him Pop! HE won't be with the team next year.

Paul

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 11:04:09 AM »
Yes but I'd love to also know what Zit said in the huddle after they went up 74-63 with a Turkey 3 bomb.   "Ok guys, were going to win this game with defense defense defense" ad nauseum?

Giving a still young and impressionable Parker a paranoid attitude towards horking up shots.  Not the final one he blew but the whole last 9 minutes why did the team go into offensive funk mode and had a ton of bad passes?

How 'bout telling your team "We're up 11, Turkey Mano Parker Horry everyone lets just turn this into a track meet.  Trade baskets if you want to.  We'l win 100-94 or whatever.  Pour on the O, we can't lose.  Now they are all relaxed and they win by 20 instead.  

Inquiring minds wanna know what he says in the huddles.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 11:15:30 AM »
Is it Parker's fault or is it Pop's inability to put together a good offensive scheme?  I didn't catch the game so I dont know.

Parker has been inconsistant......but (not to make excuses for the guy) with Pop's comments as of late and the teams super shopping of his replacement in the offseason that has to do something to a young players mind.  Mature for his age or not.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 12:44:42 PM »
Is it Parker's fault or is it Pop's inability to put together a good offensive scheme?  I didn't catch the game so I dont know.

Parker has been inconsistant......but (not to make excuses for the guy) with Pop's comments as of late and the teams super shopping of his replacement in the offseason that has to do something to a young players mind.  Mature for his age or not.
I've made this comment several times but it appears to fall on deaf ears to Spurs fans.  What Pop did to Parker was irreprehensible -- bball is all about confidence and what Pop did last summer broke whatever confidence Tony had.

To the rest of the world:  "Umm, yeah, we love Parker and what he brings to our team but we need to go and bring the best point guard in the league to our team and we are going to do everything we can to make that happen -- no matter what it does to Tony."

To Tony:  "Hey, Tony, don't worry about it, we will have you start at the two guard position.  Now don't worry that you can't defend anyone in the league at the 2 spot and that we already have Manu Ginobili, a much faster rising star than you, at the 2 spot -- you just trust me because I have my, I mean your, best interest at heart."

And people wonder why Parker got upset -- he is just SOOO selfish.  Yeah, Pop was REALLY going to start Parker at the two spot if JKidd came to town.   :lol:  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 02:14:54 PM »
Is it Parker's fault or is it Pop's inability to put together a good offensive scheme?  I didn't catch the game so I dont know.

Parker has been inconsistant......but (not to make excuses for the guy) with Pop's comments as of late and the teams super shopping of his replacement in the offseason that has to do something to a young players mind.  Mature for his age or not.
I've made this comment several times but it appears to fall on deaf ears to Spurs fans.  What Pop did to Parker was irreprehensible -- bball is all about confidence and what Pop did last summer broke whatever confidence Tony had.

To the rest of the world:  "Umm, yeah, we love Parker and what he brings to our team but we need to go and bring the best point guard in the league to our team and we are going to do everything we can to make that happen -- no matter what it does to Tony."

To Tony:  "Hey, Tony, don't worry about it, we will have you start at the two guard position.  Now don't worry that you can't defend anyone in the league at the 2 spot and that we already have Manu Ginobili, a much faster rising star than you, at the 2 spot -- you just trust me because I have my, I mean your, best interest at heart."

And people wonder why Parker got upset -- he is just SOOO selfish.  Yeah, Pop was REALLY going to start Parker at the two spot if JKidd came to town.   :lol:
And I am sure the Seattle papers carried SOOOOO much more than the local papers about this issue.  Can't help but agree with everything someone across the country sees & knows.  :rolleyes:

:ph34r:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 02:22:52 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 03:35:40 PM »
Is it Parker's fault or is it Pop's inability to put together a good offensive scheme?  I didn't catch the game so I dont know.

Parker has been inconsistant......but (not to make excuses for the guy) with Pop's comments as of late and the teams super shopping of his replacement in the offseason that has to do something to a young players mind.  Mature for his age or not.

And I am sure the Seattle papers carried SOOOOO much more than the local papers about this issue.  Can't help but agree with everything someone across the country sees & knows.  :rolleyes:

:ph34r:
So you dont believe that the Spurs heavy shopping of Kidd did not effect a young 20 year old players mind?

Also...alot of us get our information from articles posted on the Internet that other board members come here and pin up.  So alot of us do read the same sources.  I believe alot of our information (us outside of SA) got our information from Spurs fans here and various online spots.  Some of which were online version of SA papers.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 03:45:24 PM »
So you dont believe that the Spurs heavy shopping of Kidd did not effect a young 20 year old players mind?

Also...alot of us get our information from articles posted on the Internet that other board members come here and pin up.  So alot of us do read the same sources.  I believe alot of our information (us outside of SA) got our information from Spurs fans here and various online spots.  Some of which were online version of SA papers.
Don't hold your breath for an answer.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 04:41:00 PM »
Then you just plain choose to ignore the fact that Pop consulted with parker all along during the free agency period.  In fact Pop started talking to him before free agency even started.  But of course just because Parker was kept informed and didn't voice any objections until the final hour shouldn't sway your deep bred hatred of all things Spurs should it Randy?
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 05:39:48 PM »
Then you just plain choose to ignore the fact that Pop consulted with parker all along during the free agency period.  In fact Pop started talking to him before free agency even started.  But of course just because Parker was kept informed and didn't voice any objections until the final hour shouldn't sway your deep bred hatred of all things Spurs should it Randy?
Ah, Mr. Lurker, you do continue to berate the poster instead of addressing the facts.  Sure, Pop kept Parker informed (at the beginning, he certainly wasn't calling Parker every day to keep him informed during the summer) but I think Parker had some time to actually think for himself -- and here is what he began to think:

1.  Hmm, they are going to sign Jason Kidd but Pop has promised me that I will continue to get my starting job but at SG, not PG.

2.  Hmm, do I have what it takes to be a SG?  Umm, how in the world am I going to guard Kobe Bryant, TMac, etc., etc., etc.  I'm too short to guard SG's -- and so is JKidd.

3.  Oh, wow, do you see what Manu is doing in the Olympic trials?  Wait, do I really think that I'm a better SG than Manu?  But Pop told me I was going to start -- he is loyal to me, isn't he?  

So, let's actually think about what was going through his mind rather than just be indoctrinated by the great and might Popovich.  It's no big surprise that Parker began to have doubts -- he saw the writing on the wall and it didn't match what was coming out of Pop's mouth.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2004, 06:02:52 PM »
And you all great and knowing one actually believe you know went on inside the mind of a 20 year old?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2004, 06:14:12 PM »
And you all great and knowing one actually believe you know went on inside the mind of a 20 year old?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
I don't know about you guys, but what I know/read came from Parker's own words.
What I know is that Parker had problems with the way things were handled regarding Kidd to the point he felt he'd be better off on some other team amoung other things.

Ignoring Parker's own words while pushing some alternate reality? Give me a break.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2004, 06:41:40 PM »
And you all great and knowing one actually believe you know went on inside the mind of a 20 year old?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
I don't know about you guys, but what I know/read came from Parker's own words.
What I know is that Parker had problems with the way things were handled regarding Kidd to the point he felt he'd be better off on some other team amoung other things.

Ignoring Parker's own words while pushing some alternate reality? Give me a break.
Parker also was quoted many times that he had spoke with Pop and was on board with Kidd joining the Spurs.  It was only the final few days before it looked like Kidd was actually going to sign that he came out and said otherwise.  So which quotes of Parker's are more accurate?

Just ask Randy he knows what Tony was thinking.
-Moody Blues

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2004, 07:04:57 PM »
So which quotes of Parker's are more accurate?

IMO you answered your own question.

It was only the final few days before it looked like Kidd was actually going to sign that he came out and said otherwise.

"actually going to sign"
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2004, 07:14:16 PM »
It was only the final few days before it looked like Kidd was actually going to sign that he came out and said otherwise.

"actually going to sign"
Yes, he was going to sign.  Both he & his wife (& Thorn) have admitted it.  Then Mrs. Kidd called Zo and asked him to convince Jason to stay in New Jersey because Zo was going to sign there.
-Moody Blues