Author Topic: George Mikan  (Read 639 times)

jn

George Mikan
« on: June 03, 2005, 12:45:33 PM »
:hail:  :hail:  To the man who put the NBA on the map.  The man who's dominance led to the goaltending rule, the widening of the lane, 3 second calls and the 24 second shot clock and the famous marquee at Madison Square Garden "Tonight: Mikan vs Knicks."  Let's not forget that Mikan brought the red, white and blue ball to the ABA.  I think it's fair to say that no other player has had a greater impact on how the game is played.  

It's funny to here talk about how physical the game is today and hear praise for people gutting it out on a tweaked ankle, then read about Mikan having played through ten broken bones during his career.  Plus he led the league in fouls.  I guess they hadn't thought of a star system where a bruiser like Moses Malone can go a decade without fouling out.  

Props to guys like Shaq and KG for knowing and appreciating what he did for the game.

P.S.  I still use the Mikan drill to warm up.

rickortreat

George Mikan
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 05:01:54 PM »
A Great Basketball Legend and one of the true Pioneers of the game.  Before our time, but the first great Big Man of the game.

:hail:  :hail:  :hail:  :hail:  :hail:  :hail:  :hail:  :hail:  :hail:  :hail:  :hail:  :hail:  :hail: