Author Topic: Ziggy, about trading Randolph . . .  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
Ziggy, about trading Randolph . . .
« on: March 01, 2004, 06:26:36 PM »
I can't see teams giving up a player like Pierce for Randolph -- I'm not sure that I see the Sonics giving up Allen for Randolph alone.  Why?  Again, Randolph's attitude is already pretty well known out there -- and I was unaware of some of his problems before being drafted by Portland.  I think that the Blazers are going to have to do one of two things:  put another person into the mix to make teams take a gamble (and it IS a gamble when you take a player with these kind of problems for a proven superstar like Pierce or Allen) or take on a contract (see Jerome James) in return along with Allen.  I think that Seattle would make a deal like this:  Damon and Randolf for Allen and James.  They would like to get rid of Jerome James but his contract makes him undesirable (like Damon's does for him).  

Also, while you might think that you can get more for Randolph, I don't seriously believe that either the Sonics or the Celtics were seriously going to give Allen or Pierce up for Randolph alone.  Randolph hasn't shown that he can be a superstar -- he has shown great numbers but you also want someone to fill the stands -- can Randolph do that?  I don't think Lewis is anything to sneeze at -- if you want more, consider asking for Lewis and Brent Barry (one of the most underrated guards in the league -- a great defender, excellent passer, great shooter, etc.).  Lewis is a star 3 (not a superstar) and he IS a three -- one of Portland's present problems.  

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ziggy, about trading Randolph . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 08:09:22 PM »
Randy, sorry if I made that implication.  Just on salaries alone it would have to be Zach and DA at least, and probably more to make both deals work.  Zach is in the range of $1.5 to $2 million and DA is at about $7 million, and both Allen and Pierce are at $12 + or -.  Portland would have to add another 1 to 2 million in salary on top of Zach and DA to make it work.

On talent if I was Seattle or Boston I would want at least Zach and DA, and then however it works on the remaining roster fodder.  Zach has lots of potential, but I wouldn't trade a star like either of those 2 straight up for Zach.  Zach has to prove himself some more, and he needs to improve some more before a 1 for 1 would be in the cards.  Zach is finishing his 3rd year, and he has one more year left on his rookie contract.  After next year he would be able to get a deal like Elton Brands deal with Miami that the Clips matched.  If he has another year like this and improves then a one for one might be in order, but again salaries wouldn't match.  If Portland got either Allen or Pierce they wouldn't have any need for DA, so I would expect him to move on.

As far as Lewis, I like him, and if Portland got him that would be great.  My only point is that at 6-9 and 255, and being a power player, those are highly desirable skills.  There are more players similar to Lewis than are similar to Randolph.  Right now Lewis is a better player, but in 2 years I think Zachs upside potential is such that you should get more to take that risk.  This goes back to Jermaine.  We gave up to quickly on him, and didn't get anywhere near the value we should have for him.  He is a big guy, with lots of upside, and there just aren't very many of those around.
Lewis and Brent Barry would be good as well, though I am a little concerned with getting Barry at 31.  I love watching Seattle play with those 2, plus Allen and Radmanovic.   Lewis and Barry for Zach and DA would cuase me to do some serious pondering.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil