Author Topic: allen still being whiny  (Read 2191 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
allen still being whiny
« on: May 09, 2005, 10:58:32 AM »
"Same old Bruce," Allen said. "I got caught on his foot and it just turned. He's good for that. He's done that before."

Like it's Bruce's fault that Ray landed on him!  Freaking cry baby!!

Sonics

Hobbled and humbled: Allen, Radmanovic hurt in rout

By Percy Allen

Seattle Times staff reporter

SAN ANTONIO — Ray Allen walked gingerly in front of the Sonics' bench, testing his tender right ankle. He grimaced as he leaned on teammates for support and shifted his weight from side to side.

At about the same time, attendants pushed Vladimir Radmanovic's wheelchair through the corridors of the SBC Center. He received treatment for a severely sprained right ankle in the locker room.

Hobbled and humbled early in their Western Conference semifinal opener, the Sonics were embarrassingly exposed as the San Antonio Spurs claimed a 103-81 win last night. It was the team's worst playoff defeat since a 23-point loss to San Antonio in 2002.

The lopsided defeat, which gave San Antonio a 1-0 lead in the best-of-seven series, the Sonics can handle. Losing Allen and Radmanovic for a long stretch, however, would likely mean an early end to the series.

When asked afterward what the Sonics are like without Allen, San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich smiled as he stretched his arms wide.

"Maybe from one end of the spectrum to the other," he said. "He means to them what Tim [Duncan] means to us or Steve Nash means to Phoenix or Kevin Garnett means to Minnesota. He's huge. He makes your whole team more confident."

Without two of their top three scorers from the regular season, the Sonics were overwhelmed and undermanned against a debilitating Spurs defense that handcuffed Luke Ridnour and frustrated Rashard Lewis to the point where all he could do was bicker with officials and plead for fouls that were never called.

Missing Allen, who left the game with 7:59 remaining in the second quarter and never returned, meant losing not only their leading scorer, but the one player who gave the Sonics hope against the playoff-tested Spurs.

"They don't need me to win, we can still beat this team, but I know that I've got to come back as soon as I can," Allen said last night while walking slowly to the team bus. "It's stiff right now. [Today] I've got to just stay off of it and see what that does."

Allen took control offensively early and scored eight of Seattle's first 14 points, while eluding his nemesis, San Antonio forward Bruce Bowen. Bowen's sticky defense helped create a collision beneath the basket that left Allen hobbling.

Several minutes after the game, the Sonics guard was still seething about the events that led to his injury.

"Same old Bruce," Allen said. "I got caught on his foot and it just turned. He's good for that. He's done that before."

Bowen's take on the pivotal play: "I knew he was coming down full speed. He tried to draw the foul. I was trying to get out of the way. ... I'm not disappointed when somebody goes out. The game doesn't stop. You still have to play."

Allen, who finished with eight points on 4-for-7 shooting, received X-rays, which didn't reveal any serious damage. He jogged outside the locker room at halftime, but trainers advised him not to return.

His status for Game 2 tomorrow is questionable.

Radmanovic, however, isn't likely to play tomorrow and may not play again, depending on how long the series lasts. He left the locker room on crutches and didn't speak to reporters.

"Vlade's injury is very serious," Allen said. "I think he might be out the next game. I don't know what my status is, but a day will do me good. I've always snapped back pretty quick. It's the playoffs, so I'm not looking to sit out unless I absolutely have to."

The injury occurred near the three-point line at the Spurs' end of the floor as he defended Brent Barry. The Spurs guard shifted quickly to his left, and as Radmanovic ran and tried to stop in position, his ankle buckled 8:26 before halftime.

He writhed on the court for several seconds, clutching his ankle, before Jerome James and Danny Fortson carried him to the locker room.

Twenty-seven seconds later, the Sonics lost Allen. A few minutes after that, they lost their composure, as McMillan was accessed a technical with 3:05 left in the quarter. Then they lost their hope, as they fell behind 58-28 just before halftime.

"Seeing them go out like that messed up the mental flow for us," Fortson said. "Those guys are very important, especially Ray. And not to have him out there was pretty tough for us to recover from."

The flurry of misfortune buried the Sonics, who finished the game with several deep reserves making their 2005 playoff debuts. The unorthodox lineup, led by Lewis' 19 points and Antonio Daniels' 15, was unable to stop San Antonio's Tony Parker and Duncan, who combined for almost half of the Spurs' points.

Parker blew past Ridnour whenever he wanted, and Daniels also failed to slow the Spurs guard, who finished with 29 points on 11-for-18 shooting.

Spurs reserve Glenn Robinson added 16 points, Barry had 11 and Manu Ginobili 10.

Duncan wasn't as dominant as in years past while recovering from a late-season ankle injury, but he finished with 22 points, nine rebounds and five assists.

The second half was a blur of fast-break dunks for the Spurs, who shot 50.7 percent from the field and dominated the boards 46-31. Chants of "overrated" and "sweep" echoed through the building.

"It's a seven-game series," Daniels said. "A series is never won after one game, regardless of how bad you played or how well they played. We still have to come back here [tomorrow] and play. And they still have to come to Seattle and play."

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
allen still being whiny
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 11:22:32 AM »
Bowen really seems like the kind of guy and player who would want to purposely injured the best player on the other team to make sure they win the series :rolleyes:  Cuz we all know the Spurs dont have the better team, more expierence, and a better coach.

If Allen only drove the lane as frequently as he whined....he'd probably be a super star.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 11:22:57 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
allen still being whiny
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 11:33:49 AM »
Figures.

The Kings accused the Sonics of being overly aggressive during their playoff series and even sent video to the League to support their cause. (Instead of retaliating like a "normal" NBA team would do, I might add). So now the Sonics face the one team other then the Pistons who put a hurt on their opponents and what do I see? Constant arguing with officials from McMillan, Lewis, and a post game tirade by Allen over the "unfairness" of calls because the refs allow the Spurs to play rough with the Sonics.

I don't know what I find more disgusting: The hypocrisy of the Sonics or the fact that the Kings really ARE looking like the biggest patsies of the NBA.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
allen still being whiny
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 11:44:38 AM »
Figures.

The Kings accused the Sonics of being overly aggressive during their playoff series and even sent video to the League to support their cause. (Instead of retaliating like a "normal" NBA team would do, I might add). So now the Sonics face the one team other then the Pistons who put a hurt on their opponents and what do I see? Constant arguing with officials from McMillan, Lewis, and a post game tirade by Allen over the "unfairness" of calls because the refs allow the Spurs to play rough with the Sonics.

I don't know what I find more disgusting: The hypocrisy of the Sonics or the fact that the Kings really ARE looking like the biggest patsies of the NBA.
I want to know when playoff basketball got so soft....I hardly call last nights tough defense 'manhandling' in that sense.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
allen still being whiny
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 11:59:04 AM »
Figures.

I was expecting as much from them JoMal, they cant beat us in this series so now they want to slow it down to a foul EVERY time. game to will probably be horrible like when Karl cried about the fouls...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
allen still being whiny
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 12:05:01 PM »
Just wait, in 3 more games Allen will be back to talking about a conspiracy.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
allen still being whiny
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 10:40:13 AM »
and even more of Rays whine.....I would be pissed if i was a sonics fan.  Just shut up and play Ray!:

"Hands Off," Says Allen to Bowen
Wire Reports - Comtex AP
Tuesday, May 10, 2005

SAN ANTONIO - Ray Allen thinks Bruce Bowen uses his hands too much on defense and the Seattle guard doesn't appreciate the way his San Antonio counterpart jostles him on the way up the court. "We've all seen what he does out there on the basketball floor," Allen said Monday.

Allen will be a game-time decision for Game 2 of Seattle's Western Conference playoff series against San Antonio tonight after spraining his ankle in the Spurs' 103-81 win in Game 1. And while Allen wouldn't come out and directly blame Bowen for the injury, his frustration with the physical style of play was apparent.

"It's the way he rides me the whole way down the floor. It's possible that's the reason (for the injury)," Allen said. "That was the second time I went to the hole and both times he was grabbing me . . . The second time, I twisted my ankle."

Asked why he thinks Bowen plays the way he does, Allen said he didn't know.

"It would be like me asking Shaq why he dunks all the time," he said. "I guess somebody likes it."

Allen didn't accuse Bowen of tripping him or shoving him as he drove to the basket. In fact, he told reporters Monday that he hadn't yet seen video of the play.

Spurs spokesman Tom James said the team would not respond to Allen's comments about Bowen, who was the runner-up to Detroit's Ben Wallace for the defensive player of the year.

Allen wasn't the only player hobbled in the first game.

Seattle coach Nate McMillan said Vladimir Radmanovic would likely miss the rest of the series after spraining his right ankle less than a minute before Allen got hurt.

Radmanovic, a good perimeter shooter, rolled his ankle while defending Brent Barry and had to be carried from the court by teammates.

Radmanovic had a stress fracture in his lower right leg in March and missed the final 19 games of the regular season. He played in all five first-round games against the Sacramento Kings, averaging 6.4 points and 3.6 rebounds.

San Antonio led by 15 when Allen fell to the floor while driving to the basket with about eight minutes left in the first half. The Spurs then went on a 17-2 run to build their lead to 58-28 before the break.

Allen, who on Monday wore an elastic bandage around the ankle, said he wanted to stay in the game.

"My idea was to get taped and get back on the floor," he said. "I guess my ankle had other plans."

McMillan said Allen was to have therapy on the injured ankle Monday and today. Allen called the swelling "very minor," but walked with a slight limp.

"I'm going to try to proceed as if I'm going to play," Allen said. "If (the ankle) tells me otherwise, I have to listen to it."

Not having Allen would be a serious blow to the Sonics. The Spurs have won five straight playoff games after losing to Denver in its first-round opener.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
allen still being whiny
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 10:52:19 AM »
Funny how the aggressive teams never seem to get any significant playoff injuries, but the teams they play suddenly find themselves without a key player or two.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

allen still being whiny
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 11:42:26 AM »
Bowen plays VERY physical defense -- and he plays up so close to players, at times, that his feet are right underneath his opponent when they go up for a shot.  While Bowen's defense is solid and allowed presently by the NBA, I don't like the fact that he tends to roll his opponents feet by placing his feet underneath them.  I don't believe he is doing it on purpose -- but it seems to happen enough that he certainly doesn't look like he is trying NOT to do it!!!

I don't mind tough defense -- it is a shame when that tough defense results in the opposing team losing a player.  I don't like that at all.  Sure, it makes the Spurs job easier -- but it robs us of watching a great series of basketball!

This is the old story -- goes back to Malone, Mutombo, etc.  When a player hurts sooo many other players in the course of a season, the league SHOULD find ways to institute penalties.  Once, it's an obvious mistake; twice, is excusable but when it starts happening to the same player (Bowen) numerous times, one SHOULD stop and question!!!

I don't think that Allen needs to be whining about Bowen grabbing, etc. -- it's HIS job to make the refs see that rather than just whining about it.  The rolled ankle is a whole different issue, IMO -- and it's an issue where Allen has a point, IMO.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
allen still being whiny
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 12:08:53 PM »
Bowen plays VERY physical defense -- and he plays up so close to players, at times, that his feet are right underneath his opponent when they go up for a shot.  While Bowen's defense is solid and allowed presently by the NBA, I don't like the fact that he tends to roll his opponents feet by placing his feet underneath them.  I don't believe he is doing it on purpose -- but it seems to happen enough that he certainly doesn't look like he is trying NOT to do it!!!

I don't mind tough defense -- it is a shame when that tough defense results in the opposing team losing a player.  I don't like that at all.  Sure, it makes the Spurs job easier -- but it robs us of watching a great series of basketball!

This is the old story -- goes back to Malone, Mutombo, etc.  When a player hurts sooo many other players in the course of a season, the league SHOULD find ways to institute penalties.  Once, it's an obvious mistake; twice, is excusable but when it starts happening to the same player (Bowen) numerous times, one SHOULD stop and question!!!

I don't think that Allen needs to be whining about Bowen grabbing, etc. -- it's HIS job to make the refs see that rather than just whining about it.  The rolled ankle is a whole different issue, IMO -- and it's an issue where Allen has a point, IMO.
I dont think that is is a valid case, because his feet end up under another player means they should corect what exactly??  chop some inches of of Bowens feet?  make a new rule that says you have to play defense 2 feet away from the opposing player?  come on, accidents happen.  Bruce is tenacious on defense, the fact that he gets blamed for this many injuries is not because his feet end up there constantly, it's because he constantly plays defense.  Tim was not crying to the media on his ankle sprain, neither was Manu - that stuff happens.  You find a way to adjust and play around it.  Seattle is no cake walk, but what ruins a great basketball series is when stars start crying foul and the refs slown the game to a stand still - that IMO -is what slows games down.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
allen still being whiny
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 12:14:05 PM »
Bowen plays VERY physical defense -- and he plays up so close to players, at times, that his feet are right underneath his opponent when they go up for a shot.  While Bowen's defense is solid and allowed presently by the NBA, I don't like the fact that he tends to roll his opponents feet by placing his feet underneath them.  I don't believe he is doing it on purpose -- but it seems to happen enough that he certainly doesn't look like he is trying NOT to do it!!!

I don't mind tough defense -- it is a shame when that tough defense results in the opposing team losing a player.  I don't like that at all.  Sure, it makes the Spurs job easier -- but it robs us of watching a great series of basketball!

This is the old story -- goes back to Malone, Mutombo, etc.  When a player hurts sooo many other players in the course of a season, the league SHOULD find ways to institute penalties.  Once, it's an obvious mistake; twice, is excusable but when it starts happening to the same player (Bowen) numerous times, one SHOULD stop and question!!!

I don't think that Allen needs to be whining about Bowen grabbing, etc. -- it's HIS job to make the refs see that rather than just whining about it.  The rolled ankle is a whole different issue, IMO -- and it's an issue where Allen has a point, IMO.
Randy...thats a two way street though.  Ray Allen and Reggie Miller are both shooters who love to jump up at an angle to draw contact.  You dont think with Allen being as frustrated as he was that he wasnt trying to lean into Bowen a bit to get them to call a foul??

I hardly call rolling his ankle the way he did all Bowen's fault.  That is an injury that happens all the time.  Happend to me a few weeks back and I was stuck on crutches for a while.  Its almost impossible to play defense on someone that quick and give the jump shooter enough room to where you know he has no chance of landing on your foot.  Ray Allen needs less than a split second to get his shot off so if Bowen is woried about taking a half step back then Allen has all the advantage in the world.  What Bowen is doing is not illegal at all and not something he has very much control over.  Bowen is VERY physical and does get away with some grabbing...but so what.  Good slashers get away with traveling at times, Shaq gets away with clearing out, Duncan gets away with pushing off for rebounds.  Funny how T-Mac, Kobe, Vince, and them dont complain about Bruce and yet Allen has cried more in one game.

As for bumping down the floor.......... :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:   Hes a frickin man playing in a pro sport making millions.  Deal with it ya powder puff.  AI doesnt whine and hes half as small and takes 5x as much beating.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 12:16:41 PM by westkoast »

jn

allen still being whiny
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 01:00:51 PM »
Uuuhhh.... Vince did rant about Bowen.  Namely, for rolling Vince's ankle by stick his foot out underneath Vince as he took a three pointer.

Can we get that footage of Bowen going Jet Li on Wally back on here?  :cheers:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
allen still being whiny
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 01:47:48 PM »
Uuuhhh.... Vince did rant about Bowen.  Namely, for rolling Vince's ankle by stick his foot out underneath Vince as he took a three pointer.

D'Oh! So much for my example I guess.  Although I do have to say VC is vice prez of the NBA players powderpuff club.  Ray Allen is president seeing as VC actually tries to goto the rim with some aggression (at least at times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
allen still being whiny
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 04:34:25 PM »

Frankly, I thinks it's just prejudice against people with "clown feet." stupid, "footcists"....or "pedcists"...or is it "feetcists"???

:nonono:  :nonono:  :nonono:

Skander

allen still being whiny
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 05:21:45 PM »
I'm the kind of player whose light and lanky and whenever I drive, I get the absolute crap beat out of me, mostly because it doesn't take much to knock me way off.  And boy do I hate it, because it hurts!!!!

But I have to agree that people should be allowed to play as physical a defense as allowed by the rules of the game.  Ray is just whining, and Bowen is just a really good (albeit physical) defender.  Stronger than my wish that people weren't so physical, is my belief that you can't just sit back and have a player make you look like a fool.  So, I respect Bowen, cause he'll be damned if he'll let Ray Allen or anyone else light him up, especially in a playoff game!