Author Topic: OT: Best Album cover EVER  (Read 5697 times)

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
OT: Best Album cover EVER
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2004, 03:49:49 PM »
This is a cool subject, Stevie Ray is and always will be my favorite, but I grew up listening to the likes of Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, John Mayal, and John Lee Hooker.

I am a big fan of Delta Blues and the stuff that came out of Chicago in the 30's and 40's. Have you guys ever listened to Chris Thomas King? This kid is bad!! His CD Me, My Guitar, and the Blues, is great, but it is not traditional Delta Blues, he's from New Orleans and hi style is more Mayal than Hooker but unique, he does a lot of accoustic stuff. Another good one is Solomon Burke, pretty traditional Chicago's blues, but a real clean style.

Also, there is a CD called Jimi Hendrix plays the blues that will floor you, didn't know he could do it that way, his version of Red House is incredible

I also dig Bonnie Raitt, her older stuff is the best.

What is your favorite blues guitar? I think blues sound best on a Stratocaster, That's all Stevie played, his favorite was a beat up old '57 Strat that he used when he did his version of Hendrix' "Little Wing"
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 03:50:30 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

jn

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2004, 04:11:28 PM »
Here's an article about Koerner, Ray and Glover that came out after Dave Ray died a couple years ago.  I highly recommend their very first album "Blues, Rags and Hollers."  Also Tony Glover wrote the definitive book on how to play blues harp.

Koerner, Ray and Glover's proof of influence
Chris Riemenschneider

Published December 8, 2002 KRGBAR

Musical influence is a hard line to draw, but not when you have specific examples such as these famous performers who have crossed paths with Koerner, Ray and Glover.

Bob Dylan: While hanging around the University of Minnesota from 1959 to 1961, young Bobby Zimmerman traveled in the same Dinkytown-drawn music circles as KR&G. He listened to records at Dave Ray's house and hung with Tony Glover to New York. He and Glover visited Woody Guthrie in the hospital together in 1963. Glover also witnessed some of Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited" sessions in 1965.

Dylan invited Ray and Glover to open a 1992 Orpheum concert. In 1996, he wrote these words for KR&G's "One Foot in the Groove" album: "Exactly like you'd think it would be, stunning. KR&G haven't lost a step. Every time they play the lights shine."

Tony Glover joined the Doors onstage in 1968.Mike BarichFileJohn Lennon: For a 1964 "day in the life of" article in British magazine Melody Maker, the Beatle pulled out a copy of KR&G's "Blues, Rags & Hollers" and declared it a favorite.

Rolling Stones: After a book signing by Bill Wyman in the Twin Cities last year, the original Stones bassist told Glover, "We listened to you guys a lot."

The Doors: Signed to Elektra Records four years after KR&G, the band was rumored to have taken its "Love Me Two Times" riff from the trio. Guitarist Robby Krieger confirmed this in 1968 when Glover interviewed the band before a concert at the Minneapolis Auditorium. "He said, 'How'd you like the song we copped from you?' " recalled Glover, who also joined the band on stage.

Bonnie Raitt: A lover of Koerner's 1969 album with Willie Murphy, "Running, Jumping, Standing Still," the blues-folk starlet enlisted Murphy and Ray to record her 1971 debut for Warner Bros. at a studio Ray set up at a boys' camp on Lake Minnetonka. She cut Koerner's now-signature song "I Ain't Blue" for the album.

"From the first time I heard their albums, I've loved KR&G," Raitt is quoted as saying on Glover's Web site. "Their ultra-cool look, funky rhythm, their wicked sense of humor and passion is what got me then, and still gets me now."

Beck: The "Loser" hitmaker's acoustic albums show KR&G's influence, so it's not surprising now that he asked Ray and Glover to open his first big First Avenue concert in 1994. But it was a surprise back then. Said Ray, "He came out beforehand and told the kids, 'I'm a big fan of these guys,' so they didn't just say, 'Where the [expletive] is Beck?"

Talking to Star Tribune music critic Jon Bream in 1997, Beck said of the trio: "They seemed to be one of the only people from that folk-revival period who would just completely play their music with abandon. A lot of the music from that period is very respectful and almost too tasteful. It was almost quaint. They were just so raucous."

jn

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2004, 04:31:56 PM »
ziggy how could I forget Blind Lemon Jefferson?  You know his most famous song, "See That My Grave is Kept Clean"?  I actually did!!  My bro and I stopped by his gravesite in some podunk Texas town and I kicked all the dirt and weeds of the grave marker.  Ended up with a bunch of fireants swarming up my leg.  :blink:

We took sheets of paper and made pencil rubbings of the inscription on the headstone itself.  So I used to have that hanging up until it faded.  

Some other old stuff you might want to check out would be Mississippi John Hurt, (highly recommended) Sonny Boy Williamson, and Leadbelly.  Those are all fairly big names so maybe you already have some.

Dan a Strat is great, particularly for twang but for a bigger sound it's hard to beat the Gibson/Epiphone ES semi-hollows.  I have a Danelectro U2 reissue with lipstick pickups.  The guitar itself is junk, (I only paid 175 for it new) but those pickups are just incredible for an old school sound.    

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2004, 04:38:23 PM »
A couple of newer names to look for in blues are Taj Mahal and Jeff Golub.  Both are extremely good guitar players with Taj Mahal being more like the traditional blues.  Golub has a little more jazz influence.

As far as Stevie Ray...I suggest looking for the "Blues at Sunrise" CD.  Has some of his best known hits as well as some just flat out great blues.

And I have some good Billie Holiday & Ella Fitzgerald albums (true vinyl) that put most female vocalists today to shame.  And then no true blues afficiando doesn't have at least one Janis cd.....
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2004, 05:11:46 PM »
Sorry BBF, I am a true afficianado, and I detest Janis Joplin! Anybody get get drunk and get on stage and rasp out some drunken blues and sound as good or better than that overrated thing.

I have seen Stevie several times and own just about anything that has ever been released by him, remember exactly where I was when I heard the news about his death, cut down whe he was just beginning to tap his potential.

I am real partial to John Lee Hooker, big influence on today's artists and huge in Stevie's life although he took his style and made it more a Texas blues thing unique unto itself, Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top plays that style really well, although you never hear it except in pieces like Blue Jeans Blues.

I really do recomend Chris Thomas King if you get the chance.

I drove semi's cross country for about 15 years before my current career and whenever I had the chance, whatever town I was in, I would find some old blues bar and go in and order a burger and a beer and just soak up the local blues scene, you'd be amazed at the level of talent out there. Best ever was getting laid over in St. Louis over the Blues Festival weekend, nothing but St. Louis BBQ and blues, it was unbelievable!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 05:12:17 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2004, 06:41:22 PM »
JN  -  yes I have a Mississippi John Hurt album.  I had forgot about him.  He was another great blues man.
Sonny Boy Williamson, Elmore James (how could I have forgot him), Junior Wells, Buddy Guy.
I need to break out some of my collection, it has been awhile since I listen to alot of this stuff.  Thank you for reminding me.

Dan, on Stevie Ray Vaughn, he was the best modern classic bluesman.  I remember playing a buddy of mine one of his early albums, before Stevie Ray became big.  I asked him afterwords what he thought, and his reponse was "he is pretty good on the guitar, but I don't know about his voice".  Made me think of the King in Amadeus and his response to Mozart's symphony with to many notes.  It was like jeez man you just don't get it.  This of course was a dude who liked to take power bongs hits and listen to Uriah Heep, or Nantucket Sleighride  by Mountain over and over and over.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2004, 06:53:48 PM »
If you want to hear a good young guitarist in the vein of Stevie Ray, Robin Trower or Hendrix then check out a guy named J. D. Simo.  He is from the Phoenix area and plays a lot in the Phoenix, Tucson & SoCal areas.  His web site is jdsimo.com and it lists where he is playing at.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2004, 07:29:57 PM »
Holy Smokes how could I have forgotten Buddy Guy!! And Elmore James! And what about Albert King boys and girls?!

I agree with you, Stevie was the best of the best modern blues guitarist, but his style was pure early delta blues with a hint of Texas mixed in. I saw an interview with Buddy Guy shortly after Stevie's death, who played on a few songs with Stevie (Sweet Home Chicago was the best) where he said in his opinion his ability was not only clearly superior to anyone he had ever heard, himself included, he said he took what they had done and elevated it to a level beyond what any of the blues great could ever had attained, their only claim to fame compared to him was that they influenced what he became, and that he died before he even really got as good as he could have been. I've never heard anyone pour praise on a fellow artist quite like that.

As far as your buddy is concerned, he must be on drugs, Stevie had the PERFECT blues voice, soulful and twangy and raspy all at the same time. Besides, anyone who would choose Nantucket Sleighride over Mississippi Queen needs their head examined.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2004, 07:36:15 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2004, 08:14:18 PM »
Dan,
Stevie Ray's voice was part of the whole package.  Same with Howling Wolf, Hound Dog Taylor, all of the bluesmen.  If you want a song bird listen to Christine McVie (don't get me wrong Christine McVie had made some great music, Fleetwood Mac prior to 1980, and as Christine Perfect, and with Chicken Shack).  I mean it's not as if the lead singer of Uriah Heep had such a great voice.  He just didn't get it, which I figured was his loss.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2004, 09:48:23 PM »
Stevie Ray is a GOD here in Texas.
Paul