Author Topic: Nash Wins MVP  (Read 7706 times)

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Nash Wins MVP
« on: May 06, 2005, 04:21:36 PM »
So says Stein at least.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005...marc&id=2054677

Would like to see what the final votes look like.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Nash Wins MVP
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 04:24:33 PM »
So says Stein at least.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005...marc&id=2054677

Would like to see what the final votes look like.
Im on the fence about this one....

On one hand he def made a huge impact to leading the Suns to a hell of a year.  Great stats, excellent leader, etc

On the other hand I just dont think players who play such poor defense should be considered MVPs.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

Nash Wins MVP
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 10:36:07 PM »
Good point, wk, a point that does make me say "hmmmm."  However, in it's strictest evalation, the MVP award is about how important a player is to their team -- and how effective that team has been because of the play of that player.  While I don't disagree that Nash is an offensive player rather than a defensive one, it IS obvious what happens to the Suns when he leaves the court.  What Nash is missing defensively, he makes up for in the intangibles of leadership (something that Shaq doesn't bring to the court, IMO).

Guest_spursfan101

Nash Wins MVP
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 09:43:18 AM »
And once again, the most dominant player to ever play the game loses it again. Travesty that Shaq has only been awarded the one just ONE time.
 :angry:

And Kobe  doesen't even get a mention???? :eek2:  :drunk:  :puke:  :moon:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Nash Wins MVP
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 11:04:30 AM »
And once again, the most dominant player to ever play the game loses it again. Travesty that Shaq has only been awarded the one just ONE time.
 :angry:

And Kobe  doesen't even get a mention???? :eek2:  :drunk:  :puke:  :moon:
Regardless of all the problems the Lakers had aside from Kobe (like changing to a difficult offense mid-season when they were playing barely over .500 ball anyways) still reflect onto Kobe as the leader.  Much like Stoudamire really comming into his own, Q, Marion, and the likes really stepping up their own games makes Nash look even better because hes the leader/all-star of the team.

I dont see how Shaq could get the nod and Wade be nowhere to be found on the ballot.  Wade also made Shaq look much better too.  Without Wade he would have did his numbers but I do not think the Heat would have tore up the league like they did.  

Guest_spursfan101

Nash Wins MVP
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 02:35:41 PM »
The MVP is going to be an irrelevent topic in a few weeks. Just like David Robinson and Kevin Garnett winning it in the past, Nash's Suns will NOT make it out of the West, either San Antonio or Houston will.

But the Sun will rise out of the East as the MVP-less Heat(and a fully motivated Shaq) will capture the East and give a run to whoever ends up in the Finals.  

Congrats to Nash, deserved in a sense, man plays no D, I wouldn't have given him the Nod.

rickortreat

Nash Wins MVP
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 11:07:14 AM »
Shaq was my MVP.  Goes to another team and puts them on the map in one season, reminds me of when Lew Alcindor first came into the league.

Nash is a very good player on a very good team, but MVP?  Iverson had a better year, and played at a higher level, not only outscoring Nash, but also a league leader in steals.  Yes, Nash has many more assists, but he also has better players around him to pass to.

With the season the Sixers had, there was no way AI would win it, but this was his best season as a player, by far.  Better than the season he won the MVP award.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
Nash Wins MVP
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 10:02:46 AM »
That's interesting Rick, stating Shaq put Miami on the map in one season, because Nash did basically the same thing, took a 29 win joke of a team and led them to the best record in the NBA, and he did it in a MUCH tougher division in a MUCH tougher conference.

Not sure Nash was the best choice , but I am so ticked at Shaq for playing like a fat lazy sullen spoiled crybaby punk slob his last 3 years in LA and then showing up ready to play and in shape in Miami, I'm glad he was dissed again. Showing up svelt and in shape in Miami only proves he is not a committed winner, he is only committed to himself, you get the kind of bank he gets you show up in shape and ready to play EVERY SINGLE STINKIN' GAME, EVERY SINGLE STINKIN' PRACTICE!!!!!!!. Nash may not be the best defender in the world, but he is committed to winning regardless of the color of his uniform.

Props to the little white boy for punking "The Big Ego", I hope whether it's Phoenix or San Anonio (starting to jump on phoenix' bandwagon, although I don't think they can beat San Antonio in a 7 game series), they dismantle Miami.
Dan

rickortreat

Nash Wins MVP
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 10:43:19 AM »
Well I think the Suns were an up and comming team anyway, all  they needed was a good point to distibute the ball.  Nash was a great fit for them, but lets see how he does against the good teams.

If I was an LA fan, I'd be pissed at Shaq too, but his ego is another matter.  This year he came back in shape and on a mission.  He's got good support from Wade and that should get them to the finals and a win.  MVP is different from proffessional, you can be the best player for a season and still be a weasel.

Besides, the West has no status as being the tough conference anymore.  The defending champs are an e-coast team and I think it likely that this years winner will be too.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Nash Wins MVP
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 11:14:03 AM »
As for the literal MVP award, to keep it in perspective, it's chosen by sportwriters.

P.J. Brown recieved a vote.

Now as to a Nash-Shaq discussion, it will be interesting to see how far each team gets.  Nash has more help IMO.  Take Stoudamire away from Phx, where are they?  Take Wade away from Miami, it seriously hurts, but they still do well with Shaq vs the EC centers.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Nash Wins MVP
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 11:27:37 AM »
The fact is, Nash was the difference-maker in Phoenix and it really showed when he had to sit out games due to injury and the Suns could barely get the ball across the midcourt line without looking like they all were wearing Nike clown shoes.

Our sportswriters decided to count heavily on that instead of the TWO teams that were affected by Shaq's trade from the Lakers to the Heat. The Lakers crashed as a result; the Heat may win the NBA championship.

But this is just as significant. The MVP is awarded to the player who made the biggest difference for his team during the REGULAR season, which doesn't necessarily favor a guy like Shaq, who, shall we say, extends his committment as he sees fit during those semi-meaningless months, as perceived by him.

But when the games truly count, we see a much more focused player and his teams seems to reflect that, now and during his time in LA.

If the Suns make it out of the West (unlikely), they no doubt will face the Heat, because the Pistons shamed Shaq last year. He will want to return the favor. The Suns lose to the Heat in that series because they don't play enough defense and the Heat, with Shaq, will simply neutralize Nash's effectiveness. Nash can have the regular season MVP, but his game does not translate the same into the post season against teams that have someone like Shaq on them.    
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

Nash Wins MVP
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 11:35:28 AM »
Rick,

Besides, the West has no status as being the tough conference anymore. The defending champs are an e-coast team and I think it likely that this years winner will be too.

Come on, how can you make this statement?  Just because the EC has two strong teams doesn't mean that they even come CLOSE to being as tough a conference as the WC.  

Let's shed a little real light on this, okay?

Of the 8 EC playoff teams, here were their records against the WC:
Detroit - 19-11
Miami - 18-12
Washington - 17-13
Boston - 15-15
Chicago - 15-15
Indiana - 15-15
New Jersey - 11-19
Philadelphia - 10-20

There were only THREE EC playoff teams with a winning record against the entire WC.  Hmm, sounds like that doesn't bode well for the WC not being stronger than the EC, huh?

Two teams in the EC had a record above .600 ball:
Miami at .720
Detroit at .659

Of the 8 WC playoff teams, here were their records against the EC:
Phoenix - 24-6
San Antonio - 23-7
Dallas - 23-7
Sacramento - 22-8
Seattle - 21-9
Denver - 21-9
Houston - 18-12
Memphis - 18-12

Six teams in the WC had a record above .600 ball:
Phoenix at .756
San Antonio at .720
Dallas at .707
Seattle at .634
Houston at .622
Sacramento at .610

ALL EIGHT WC playoff teams had a winning record against the EC.  All EIGHT of them!!!  IN fact, Detroit was the ONLY team who had a better record against the WC than ALL of the playoff teams in the EC.  I'd say that's pretty substantial, wouldn't you?  

Miami and Detroit are teams that are viable playoff teams in the WC but they are the ONLY teams.  If Indy was healthy and Artest wasn't suspended, I'd add them to that list as well but as it is now, only Miami and Detroit would have made the playoffs in the WC -- and the WC is still FAR stronger and tougher than the EC.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Nash Wins MVP
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 11:38:57 AM »
Randy -

All you need is ONE eastern conference team to beat the western entry in the championship round to completely negate all those nice stats you put out there.

Detriot has proven they can beat a Lakers team supposedly in its prime. The Heat undoubtedly could be the favorite to do the same against even the Spurs.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 11:39:59 AM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Nash Wins MVP
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 11:42:55 AM »
Randy -

All you need is ONE eastern conference team to beat the western entry in the championship round to completely negate all those nice stats you put out there.

Detriot has proven they can beat a Lakers team supposedly in its prime. The Heat undoubtedly could be the favorite to do the same against even the Spurs.
As long as SA gets whistled for a foul every minute and 20 seconds then Miami will have a cake walk.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Nash Wins MVP
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 11:58:54 AM »
The fact is, Nash was the difference-maker in Phoenix and it really showed when he had to sit out games due to injury and the Suns could barely get the ball across the midcourt line without looking like they all were wearing Nike clown shoes.

See it all depends on your definition of MVP.  The MVP is most valuable player to his team.  Not necessarily the best basketball player.

So, while steve is always a valuable guy, his value is increased exponentionally because Phx doesn't have a legitimate backup pg on the roster.  Nobody on the team can capably run an nba team outside of steve nash.  So his value to his team was not only what he contributed, but the huge disparity between what he had and what the next guy brought to the table.

If Phx had a competent backup pg, Steve might not have won the award.  But they don't, so his value is increased.

BTW Randy, I disagree with your assessment of th eastern conference.  IMO the East has 3 very good teams, the pacers just aren't at that level right now because their best player is gimpy and 2nd best player suspended.  But when assessing the conference for next year, they have to be in the discussion.