Author Topic: Who is Sid Hartman, jn????  (Read 1482 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Who is Sid Hartman, jn????
« on: May 06, 2005, 01:05:31 PM »
From a Sid Hartman column in the Minneapolis Star Tribune:

The word in Sacramento is that if the owners of the Kings decide to fire coach Rick Adelman -- and that is possible if the Kings play poorly in the playoffs -- Flip Saunders will be offered the job.

While this has been mentioned locally by the sports talk radio guys, the Sacramento Bee has been focusing on the possibility the Maloofs have been in contact with Phil Jackson, who they think would be more then willing to come to coach the Kings. They are more concerned with the health of Geoff Petrie at the moment, however. Geoff just had an angioplasty performed on Wednesday. Before discussing the possibility with the media, the Maloofs have been uncharacteristically terse with reporters over the rumor until they have that chance because they rely so much on Petrie's input. So we will just have to wait and see.

Back to this Hartman guy. I know he is older then dirt, and longs to be under it, but his attitude about an innocuous inquiry by our favorite factfinder on KHTK Sports Talk, named Little Joe (he just gets things done and no one knows how) was borderline 'death threat is imminent'.

Three times this morning, Little Joe called the recalcitrant Hartman to ask about this little blurb that appeared in his May 2 column in the Star Tribune regarding the Kings considering Saunders for their next coach. Three times, Old Sid hung up on him, the last time after Little Joe asked politely that he not do so, but if he would just tell him he was declining to talk, that would be fine. Hartman never even stayed on the line long enough to find out who Joe was or what he wanted anyway.

So, Sid let me share my own feelings about you -  :bash:  :moon:  :angry:  :puke:

jn, could you possibly pass this on if you are in the area? But DON'T call him.

Oh, and I think you could gather from these inferences that the Maloofs were not too pleased with the way the Kings performed in the first round against the Sonics, though Adelman has yet to get THE PHONE CALL from them yet.

You see, Petrie has been hospitalized for the last few days and the Maloofs have not talked any business with him, and won't until he is feeling better.......
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 01:40:09 PM »
Now THIS would be funny, wouldn't it?  PJ coaching the cow bells?  I'm sure THAT would go over well in SacTown!!!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 01:58:12 PM »
New Orleans Hornets have offered Phil an unlimited supply of some of the areas best hooch, both of the grain alchohol and herbal variety.  Phil agent says a 70's retro feeling may be just what Phil wants.....

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 02:07:46 PM »
Now THIS would be funny, wouldn't it?  PJ coaching the cow bells?  I'm sure THAT would go over well in SacTown!!!
Phil no doubt would love to hear those cow bells, as a metaphysical,  extraterrestrial tryst between the forces of good and evil competing at Arco.

To make the metamorphous complete, I plan on expanding my mobile home to accommodate the addition of zen tomes and cases of JB to ease the transition.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

jn

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 02:25:40 PM »
:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Oh JoMal, it only gets worse.  Way back in the day, Sid, through a near hijacking, convinced a gentlemen to bring pro basketball to Mpls.  And that team became.......The Lakers!  Sid was the teams GM during their first years.

In addition he is an arrogant old curmedgeon, he kisses the assess and acts as apologist for other jerks (most notably George Steinbrenner, Bobby Knight and Twins owner Carl Pohlad) in exchange for conversations, he is a slumlord, he is a cheapskate, a deluded optimist over certain sports, (U of MN football,) and most important, is now typically a day late and dollar short when it comes to real sports reporting.  It's insane to see how many ridiculous mistakes he makes these days.  For example, lately he has had a problem with reporting that local high school basketball players are looking at several colleges a week after the player in question has already announced where he is going.

The hanging up part is not suprising.  He has a call in radio show with another local hack.  Sid is always cutting off callers and ranting semi-coherently, usually sarcastically calling anyone who disagrees with him a "genius" and explaing that because he knows everything because he's been around Mikan, Tarkenton, and Killebrew.   His catchphrase is "my close personal friend."

Sorry for the length of this but Sid has been around so long and is just that aggravating.  Pissed off by Sid? Welcome to my world!!

Guest_JoMal

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 03:39:46 PM »
jn, I am sooo pleased to hear that Sid is a local icon to those of us who we really care to know someone, at least, is close, personal friends with people who were once famous, but we can't remember why.

At least Little Joe is not alone, feeling betrayed by his own anonymity when faced with phoning such an ambassador for bombastic journalism and self-importance. If only a bit of his own 'genius' could leak out of those elephantitus-sized ears and drip its waxy contents on the rest of us so we also benefit from such a build-up.