Author Topic: Spurs, would you want Phil Winters?  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Spurs, would you want Phil Winters?
« on: April 25, 2005, 08:20:40 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2046257

Phil Jackson is meeting Kobadiah Springfield later this week.  Purportedly to talk about their potential relationship should Phil accept the Lakers coaching position.

"The meeting could be seen as a step to Jackson possibly returning to coach the Lakers.  After all, in 2004, Jackson wrote a tell-all book called "The Last Season" about the 2003-04 season in which he characterized Bryant as being difficult to coach. In the book, Jackson wrote that he asked Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak to trade Bryant."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2046257

Whether or not Phil is just working the system for the best offer or if Stern and the NBA Marketing Machine have promised him Yao Ming on the Lakers or similiar remains to be seen.

However it begets the question, should the Spurs get punked by Denver or 2nd round or for that matter WCFs, with an obvious Offensive Meltdown (see last night)would you want Tex Winters controlling the 2005-6 Spurs offense along with Phil Jackson as head coach?  I can't picture Phil doing tacos on N. Flores St, however maybe 12 million a year and Tim Dunker healthy????? GNob and cast would entice Phil and Tex.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 07:50:52 AM »
From everything I've read, Winters is done -- even if (when and where) PJ comes back.  PJ talked Winters to returning to LA but I don't think Winters is going to do it again.  Of course, I never imagined that Kobe and PJ would sit in the same room and even DISCUSS resuming their relationship again.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 09:20:20 AM »
even if we got bounced in the first round as bad as that would be, Pop is in no hot water at this point in his career.  the Spurs would trust he could turn it around and would stick with him atleast another season before they would even consider firing him, PJ would not consider SA, he needs the bigger city to get his needs met.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 11:34:47 AM »
even if we got bounced in the first round as bad as that would be, Pop is in no hot water at this point in his career.  the Spurs would trust he could turn it around and would stick with him atleast another season before they would even consider firing him, PJ would not consider SA, he needs the bigger city to get his needs met.
Why fix something that isnt broken?  2 rings in 6 years? With Duncan still able to play quite a few seasons and young talent like Manu/Parker.  I dont see the plus side of any of this.  Pop knows the system and is the only other coach besides Brown and Phil to win in the last 6-7 years.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 11:58:32 AM »
even if we got bounced in the first round as bad as that would be, Pop is in no hot water at this point in his career.  the Spurs would trust he could turn it around and would stick with him atleast another season before they would even consider firing him, PJ would not consider SA, he needs the bigger city to get his needs met.
Question was not whether or not Pop was in hot water with SA or whether Phil/Tex would reject a SA offer.

Q was if Phil/Tex would do SAS, would you gladly accept them and jettison Pop?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 12:08:13 PM by Reality »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 11:58:39 AM »
Maybe this discussion should be whether the Lakers should be considering hiring Popovich.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

rickotreat

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 12:05:07 PM »
I don't see Phil rushing back to the Lakers, they're salary cap situation and the bad rep Kobe has acquired will make it difficult for them to attract enough talent to make Phil want to come back.

He'd be more likely to reunite with Shaq in Miami or head to another team that's getting ready for an immenent run, that is his MO after all.  And, I don't mean a team like Philly or Washington, that has potential.  I mean a team that's got the pieces and is ready to take it all, maybe Houston or Dallas.  

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 12:17:34 PM »
Maybe this discussion should be whether the Lakers should be considering hiring Popovich.
I'd love to have him as a GM but not as a coach.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 12:35:41 PM »
even if we got bounced in the first round as bad as that would be, Pop is in no hot water at this point in his career.  the Spurs would trust he could turn it around and would stick with him atleast another season before they would even consider firing him, PJ would not consider SA, he needs the bigger city to get his needs met.
Question was not whether or not Pop was in hot water with SA or whether Phil/Tex would reject a SA offer.

Q was if Phil/Tex would do SAS, would you gladly accept them and jettison Pop?
oh brother, reality, while Pop is HC for our team - NO it would be petty hard to accept PJ while Pop is still in office.

Would I chose to have PJ - HELL NO.  The man is a great coach and has accomplished much, but I dont know thatbthis guy will last that long as it is, he looks like death is knocking on his door as it is.  

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2005, 12:41:10 PM »
Tex O
Phil Head and D assistant
Pop D

Pop GM

Okay done.  I'll go with that for 2005-6 and if Phil-Tex can get Drs clearance then continuing thru 2006-7 at least.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 12:48:25 PM »
It was alluded to that Jackson would expect to be paid $10 million per season to be lured back to Los Angeles.

I don't know. To me, that money would be better spent on talent on the court. But this is where it gets tricky. Because of the O'Neal trade, the Lakers are tied up with some burgeoning salaries going to Brian Grant and Lamar Odom. While Odom has some worth, Grant does not. Jackson certainly would not want to be burdened with players that hinder his choices for roster spots. It means a rebuilding job of at least three years. At this stage, does he have any interest in waiting that long?

But if Buss is willing to pay his (future) son-in-law that much, maybe he will put Phil in his will also and you Lakers will get him as the future team owner as well.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 12:56:18 PM »
Now even you are turning threads into Laker threads.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 01:04:49 PM »
Now even you are turning threads into Laker threads.
No kidding.  Who's the moron who first brought up the Lakers in this thread anyway?   :rofl:  
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 01:22:06 PM »
I guess it was me trying to see about Phil-Tex becoming Spurs.

But the word "Laker" apparantly set mezmerize mode in Jomal.  Not a word about Spurs.

W.O.W. did you thank Jerry West this morning for making the sunrise?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 01:25:38 PM by Reality »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 01:57:48 PM »
Did I redirect this thread away from the Spurs? So sorry.

But then, contemplating Phil Jackson as the Spurs coach was too much for even my feeble mind to wrap around.