Author Topic: Phil Jackson scheduled to meet with Kobe . . .  (Read 1616 times)

Guest_Randy

Phil Jackson scheduled to meet with Kobe . . .
« on: April 25, 2005, 07:55:09 PM »
:eek3:  :eek3:  :eek3:  :eek3:  :eek3:

Hmm, forget about global warming, I think hell just froze over!!!

PJ has already met with Buss -- I'm not saying that PJ will be back as the coach of the Lakers -- but hey, I NEVER thought that PJ and Kobe would sit in the same room together, much less that they both WANT to meet together and have a serious conversation.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 11:35:21 PM »
Where did you hear this Randy?  Im sure when I get to work tommorow ill have 10 emails about it from friends and co-workers.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 07:44:35 AM »
Check it out at espn.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 11:56:29 AM »
Jackson also had a confirmed meeting with Isiah Thomas of the Knicks this week. Both the Knicks and the Lakers are very interested in talking to Larry Brown, who is Kobe's choice to be the next Laker coach, though Jackson probably is the front runner to go back to LA after the new CBA is in place.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2005, 09:57:11 AM »
Jackson also had a confirmed meeting with Isiah Thomas of the Knicks this week.
Dont try to turn this into a Knicks thread.  Youve been warned about bringing up a related team but staying on topic before.  Dont do it again.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2005, 10:31:58 AM »
Jackson also had a confirmed meeting with Isiah Thomas of the Knicks this week.
Dont try to turn this into a Knicks thread.  Youve been warned about bringing up a related team but staying on topic before.  Dont do it again.
Nice catch wk!  

That cowpie-kristna is trying to go psycho Mrs. Christie and insanely control this thread with his big market NY Knickmadia ho talk.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2005, 10:43:25 AM »
Okay, who here REALLY believes that PJ wants to coach for a team that has Zeke as it's GM?  Esp. with the wizardry of his recent "moves" (moving their only center for yet ANOTHER undersized PF), etc., etc., etc.

Now, don't misunderstand my dismissal of PJ in NY as any kind of support or reasoning for PJ back in LA -- I'm STILL trying to understand why they would do that.  And I'm still VERY surprised that PJ and Kobe even DESIRE to get in the same room together after all they have said about each other!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2005, 10:45:46 AM »
Only way Phil comes to LA is if...

1) the check is really good...like mid level player salary good

2)He gets cut off from loving from his girlfriend
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 10:46:01 AM by westkoast »

Guest_Randy

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2005, 10:51:04 AM »
wk

Ever think that the reason that PJ WANTS to come back to LA is because Miss Busty, I mean, Bussy is too far away?  While I'm not sure I would want to listen to her -- she definately is easy on the eyes!  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 11:29:56 AM »
KNICKS; KNICKS' KNICKS; KNICKS
 :bs:  :rambo:  :moon:  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 11:48:23 AM »
wk

Ever think that the reason that PJ WANTS to come back to LA is because Miss Busty, I mean, Bussy is too far away?  While I'm not sure I would want to listen to her -- she definately is easy on the eyes!
PJ lives in LA Randy...hes been out here even after he left the Lakers.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2005, 12:49:48 PM »
Hmm, so he sold his ranch in Montana?  I knew he had a home in LA but I didn't realize that he sold his ranch -- the one where he loved to fish for trout in?

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 12:53:45 PM »
Hmm, so he sold his ranch in Montana?  I knew he had a home in LA but I didn't realize that he sold his ranch -- the one where he loved to fish for trout in?
I dont know if he sold it but hes spent quite a bit of time out here in LA even after he left the Lakers.  Obviously because Miss Buss is still very much apart of the Laker franchise.

A co-worker of mine has been to his house out here (he know his son) and said all Phil likes to do is play guitar :lol:

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2005, 01:32:33 PM »
I think the lap trout in L.A. is much more inticing than the stuff out in Montana.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2005, 08:26:41 AM »
Jackson's agent increases odds of PJ's return
Story Tools:    Print   Email  
JOHN NADEL / Associated Press
Posted: 6 hours ago    

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The odds that Phil Jackson will return to coaching next season apparently have increased a bit.

Jackson's agent, Todd Musburger, said some time ago it was 50-50 that his client would be back on the bench next fall after taking this season off.
"I'll move the needle to 51-49 in favor of coaching," Musburger said Wednesday.

Several teams are interested, including the Los Angeles Lakers and New York Knicks. Musburger wouldn't identify other possibilities, but Cleveland, Portland and Minnesota are logical suitors. And Musburger wouldn't say whether Jackson has been offered a job.

The 59-year-old Jackson guided the Lakers to three championships in five years before he and the team went their separate ways last June - three days after the Lakers lost to the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals.

One thing seems certain - a final decision won't be made for some time.

"Phil is engaged in a process of talking about his coaching future with various NBA clubs and he will take whatever time is necessary to make some important decisions," Musburger said by telephone from Chicago. "There is no timetable. There are no ultimatums and there are no dates in which something has to occur.

"I think everyone we have spoken to understands that a return to coaching is a big decision and should not be taken lightly. He'll be very careful before he says yes."

Phil Jackson finished a five-year, $30 million deal with the Lakers last season. (Andrew D. Bernstein / Getty Images)

Musburger confirmed that he and Jackson met Monday night with New York Knicks president Isiah Thomas in Los Angeles.

Musburger called the meeting "an enjoyable and informative session," and said others would follow. Musburger returned to Chicago on Tuesday, and Jackson and Lakers owner Jerry Buss reportedly got together Tuesday night.

"I know they were planning on having dinner," Lakers spokesman John Black said Wednesday. "It was informal and casual, a social dinner."

Jackson accompanied Buss to a game at Staples Center earlier this month, and has visited the team's headquarters in nearby El Segundo several times to have lunch with Buss' daughter, Jeanie, his longtime girlfriend.

Jackson also spoke at length recently with general manager Mitch Kupchak.

The Lakers, coming off one of the worst seasons in franchise history, have an opening because Rudy Tomjanovich resigned Feb. 2, citing health concerns. Tomjanovich signed a five-year, $30 million contract last summer as Jackson's successor.

Assistant Frank Hamblen took over when Tomjanovich left and the Lakers, hampered by injuries, lost 19 of their last 21 games to finish 34-48 and out of the playoffs for just the second time since 1976.

Kupchak said when Tomjanovich quit that there was an interest in Jackson. He confirmed that last week, the day after the season ended.

Jackson, who finished a five-year, $30 million contract last season, is expected to command a significant increase per year should he return to coaching. He has coached a record-tying nine NBA championship teams - six in Chicago and three in Los Angeles. Red Auerbach coached the Boston Celtics to nine titles.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"