Author Topic: Philly what happend?  (Read 2913 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Philly what happend?
« on: April 25, 2005, 12:03:00 PM »
First I wanna say that I was listening to the game via a stream from KWTI (i think thats the name) in Philly.  Db, Rick......how you guys listen to him (the main loud guy)?  He sounds like he was picked up from a monster car rally.  I wasnt sure if Andre dunked the ball or if Bigfoot smashed some old cutlass supreme in the middle oft he stadium.

I listened to the first half then had to run errands and to me it seemed like Philly was forcing turnovers, making some exciting plays, AI was being a true court general, Webber sounded like he was playing solid..........then I get home and they lost by 20 after stomping Detroit in the first quarter and playing well in the second.  Can someone fill me in on what happend?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 12:03:18 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Philly what happend?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 12:08:11 PM »
No transition opportunities.  I don't believe we got a transition point after the first quarter.  We won't beat detroit in a halfcourt game.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Philly what happend?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 12:12:36 PM »
First I wanna say that I was listening to the game via a stream from KWTI (i think thats the name) in Philly.  Db, Rick......how you guys listen to him (the main loud guy)?  He sounds like he was picked up from a monster car rally.  I wasnt sure if Andre dunked the ball or if Bigfoot smashed some old cutlass supreme in the middle oft he stadium.

I listened to the first half then had to run errands and to me it seemed like Philly was forcing turnovers, making some exciting plays, AI was being a true court general, Webber sounded like he was playing solid..........then I get home and they lost by 20 after stomping Detroit in the first quarter and playing well in the second.  Can someone fill me in on what happend?
Defense.

One team has it, the other doesn't.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jn

Philly what happend?
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 12:20:55 PM »
"sounds he was picked him up at a monster truck rally"

:rofl:  :rofl:

One night only!!! Were turning the Palace into a giant mud pit!!!!!!! It's A!! I!!! vs the Under!! Taker!!! Watch as the league's leading scorer takes on three tons on bone crushing steel, steel, steel!! It will be loud, loud LOUD!!!!!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Philly what happend?
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 12:27:13 PM »
"sounds he was picked him up at a monster truck rally"

:rofl:  :rofl:

One night only!!! Were turning the Palace into a giant mud pit!!!!!!! It's A!! I!!! vs the Under!! Taker!!! Watch as the league's leading scorer takes on three tons on bone crushing steel, steel, steel!! It will be loud, loud LOUD!!!!!
Im tellin ya Jn...if I didnt know Andre's last name I would have thought it was the first name of TruckZilla out in Philly.

Philly played defense in the first half.  Pistons were stone cold in that first quarter and a number of times AI and Andre forced turnovers into easy points.  Did the Pistons just wake up?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 12:28:12 PM by westkoast »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Philly what happend?
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 12:32:32 PM »
Pistons just didn't make as many mistakes.  No turnovers + No stops = no transition opportunities.

Guest_Randy

Philly what happend?
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 01:15:08 PM »
Well, one thing is definately certain -- Brown wasn't outcoached by O'Brien!

Detroit played great Defense and Rasheed Wallace showed why SacTown traded Webber.  Korver isn't going to get a chance to shoot well -- Detroit has Hamilton and Prince to make sure that doesn't happen.  Detroit did an outstanding job and limiting AI's drive to the basket -- and when he did drive Big Ben was there (SEVEN blocked shots) to send it back.  The Pistons want AI to jack it up from outside and unless the Sixers can outrebound the Pistons (which isn't going to happen) the Sixers can't shoot a higher percentage than Detroit can (even though Detroit is "offensively challenged" -- right, Rick?).

rickortreat

Philly what happend?
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 01:41:51 PM »
It's very simple.  Philly didn't continue to do what it did to have success in the first quarter.

Detroit's play had a lot to do with at, as their bench had no problem hitting outside shots, while philly's bench was unable to provide any offensive help at all.

Philly depends on a transition game, forceing turnovers and stopping second chance shots.  Once Detroit started operating successfully in it's half-court sets, Philly (Iverson) lost patience in breaking down Detroits defense.  Once your up byt 16 points all you have to do to win is trade baskets, but this Sixers stopped scoring.

The Sixers can play in a half-court game with Detroit, only if they execute properly- meaning Iverson penetrating and dishing, or letting other players handle the ball.  AI tries to do too much by himself, and didn't pass out of double-teams quickly enough.  The other thing they have to do is defend Detroit adequately.  Detroit shot uncharacteristically well, and it is unlikely they will be able to continue to.  McDyess shouldn't be able to come off the bench and hit 4 out of 5 shots in a row.

Dalembert played great, but he was all alone out there. Webber and Jackson were a step slow getting over on every play.  No one kept Prince from driving the lane.  Hamilton was kept under control, but his scoring wasn't needed.  AI and Webber scored plenty, but didn't get enough help from the bench, Korver and Igoudala to overcome Detroit's scoring.

It all comes down to Philly executing in the half-court when they have to.  They cannot rush shots, or rely on Iverson.  They should run a two man game with Igoudala and Webber, or Korver and Webber to let Iverson run off screens without the ball.  They should put Dalembert at the top of the key and run the offense through him.  Provided the Sixers keep the lane open, and prevent the Detroit defenders from clogging it, they should be able to create plenty of opportunities.  As it was,  Saturday, Korver didn't even get the ball passed to him- when Detroit is double-teaming and clogging the lane, those shots are open, and Philly has to make Detroit pay, if they're going to win.

They should also press Detroit to prevent them from getting into their offense quickly on the other end.  Philly has to increase the pressure on Detoit in their half-court sets,  forceing them to pass the ball more and take more time before getting a decent shot.

Unless the Sixers box out and prevent Detroit from getting second chance shots, they won't get any easy transition baskets. No running game, and they're chances are greatly diminished.  The pressure is on philly's defense and half-court offence to perform better.  They can do it, but Detroit clearly impossed it's will over the weekend.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Philly what happend?
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 05:59:14 PM »
They can rely on Iverson...as long as hes going to the rack each and everytime.  If he is going to sit and jack up 20-25 foot off balanced shots then Detroit is going to get long rebounds with an easy outlet to a big man who is not going to be caught by the Sixers front court.

I didnt want to make DB, yourself mad by asking.  I was just curious about the adjustment made by Larry Brown or if Detroit just got out of their funk or both.

rickortreat

Philly what happend?
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 06:15:18 PM »
I'm not angry, although watching from the second quarter on put me in a bad mood!

Detroit was the better team by far.  They kept their poise, started making shots and got back in the game easilly.  O'Brien tried calling timeouts, but that didn't enable them to find a way to disrupt Detroit's offense.

The Sixers played as well as they could in the first quarter, and clearly outclassed the Pistons, who looked shell-shocked.  But once Detroit started makeing shots, and forced Philly to work for theirs, the momentum shifted completly to Detroit's side.

Iverson shot 9-22, which isn't great, but certainly not abnormal.  CWebb shot 11-20 which is pretty good.  If someone told me before the game that these two did that, I would have thought the victory was a lock.  

Dalembert and Igoudala had 10 pts apiece, but Korver had only 4 shots.  Jackson, McKie and Rogers were 0-10.  That's not going to get it done, especially when your opponent is shooting .519!

O'Brien didn't outcoach Brown that game.  It will be interesting to see what adjustments he can make for the next one.  This type of play has been a problem for the Sixers all year.  Iverson gets into this mode where he's the only player on the court.  If the officials cooperate and let him get to the line alot, it's an approach that can work.  He went to the line 8 times and didn't miss a shot. It wasn't enough.  Iverson is the point, and he determines how the Sixers play.  If he distributes the ball, and gets the rest of the team involved, they can win.  If he doesn't, Detroit is too good a team for the Sixers to beat.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Philly what happend?
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 06:21:57 PM »
I'm not angry, although watching from the second quarter on put me in a bad mood!

Detroit was the better team by far.  They kept their poise, started making shots and got back in the game easilly.  O'Brien tried calling timeouts, but that didn't enable them to find a way to disrupt Detroit's offense.

The Sixers played as well as they could in the first quarter, and clearly outclassed the Pistons, who looked shell-shocked.  But once Detroit started makeing shots, and forced Philly to work for theirs, the momentum shifted completly to Detroit's side.

Iverson shot 9-22, which isn't great, but certainly not abnormal.  CWebb shot 11-20 which is pretty good.  If someone told me before the game that these two did that, I would have thought the victory was a lock.  

Dalembert and Igoudala had 10 pts apiece, but Korver had only 4 shots.  Jackson, McKie and Rogers were 0-10.  That's not going to get it done, especially when your opponent is shooting .519!

O'Brien didn't outcoach Brown that game.  It will be interesting to see what adjustments he can make for the next one.  This type of play has been a problem for the Sixers all year.  Iverson gets into this mode where he's the only player on the court.  If the officials cooperate and let him get to the line alot, it's an approach that can work.  He went to the line 8 times and didn't miss a shot. It wasn't enough.  Iverson is the point, and he determines how the Sixers play.  If he distributes the ball, and gets the rest of the team involved, they can win.  If he doesn't, Detroit is too good a team for the Sixers to beat.
Didnt check the box score but Andre only ended up with 10?  Didnt he have 4 or 6 in the first quarter?  He should be able to score on Rip or whomever else they put on him.  Not with ease or anything but based on the fact hes more athletic and should be able to get to spots he wants.

Rick do you know the guy on KWTI (or whatever the station is) that I was reffering to?  Mr. Monster Truck sportscaster?  It was so funny to hear him yell like that and then hear the other very quiet guy poke in with some stats and thats it.

rickortreat

Philly what happend?
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 08:08:20 PM »
No, I usually listen to the announcers on Comcast, which has the rights to the Sixers broadcasts, and is a part owner of the team along with Ed Snyder who owns the Flyers, Sixers and Comcast Spectacor which owns the building.  (How's that for vertical integration!?)

The radio announcers are Todd MacCullough, who's pretty funny, but a very low key guy, and his partner is the play by play guy, his name escapes me for the moment.  Neither one of them usually gets that excited.  Are you sure these were local (Philly broadcast) guys?

Igoudala just didn't get the ball much.  No-one did except for Iverson and Webber.  

The best game the Sixers played all year, Iverson and Webber didn't even play.  Willie Green ran the point, and the team played great ball, passing to the open man, working hard on every possesion.  Can't remember who it was against, but the opponents were a playoff team.  Good sign for the Sixers future, but for the present, they need to play like that with Iverson and Webber on the floor, it only worked that way for one quarter last Saturday.  Hope they find a way to do that for four quarters tomorrow.  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Philly what happend?
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 09:45:28 PM »
His name is Tom McGinnis.  When you get used to him, he's great.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Philly what happend?
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 08:52:24 PM »
We just can't keep our composer.  I don't know if it's the youth, the addition of Webber, the tension of the coach earlier the year, playing the defending champion pistons on the road, or a combination, but when things go bad, it snowballs.  We went from up almost the entire half, then within 3 with 5 minutes left in the third, to blown out in a matter of minutes.

When things go wrong, we haven't been responding.

Guest_Randy

Philly what happend?
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 09:29:05 PM »
Umm, not sure what you are referring to dbods -- I believe the Sixers were down by 6 at the half.  Detroit just ISN'T going to allow Philly to have success with their gameplan.  If Philly can't outrebound the opponent, they just don't have much of a chance in winning.  For all of Rick's rhetoric about Detroit being a poor offensive team, Philly is sure making them look pretty good -- they are shooting 50% from the field in the two games so far -- and the entire team (outside of Big Ben) is in double figures.  

I thought that Philly might win a game but it's beginning to look like a sweep.  I will say that Webber has to manage to get more than 4 rebounds in a playoff game.  I know that Sheed is pulling him away from the key but still -- FOUR rebounds?  That just isn't going to cut it!