Author Topic: bunny hop  (Read 748 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
bunny hop
« on: April 21, 2005, 11:25:36 AM »
Traveling?

Player dribbles.  Picks up dribble and stops.  Hops into the air.  Lands on either
a.) both feet
b.) one foot then immediately the other.
Subsequently he shoots 99.9% of the time.

I thought this was indeed being called traveling starting last year.
It being allowed big time again.  Whats the deal?

rickortreat

bunny hop
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 11:43:27 AM »
you are allowed one and a half steps after stopping to dribble.  But the refs do a terrible job of calling travelling.  

IMO, it's not travelling when you loose control of the ball because someone bumped you.  That's a foul.  I see it so many times when a team is breaking down the floor, and a defender takes a swipe, hit's the player, and the ball goes out of bounds.

It seems to have a lot to do with WHO the player is.  Some players get away with murder on the court with no penalty. Other players get called for travelling even when they didn't.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
bunny hop
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 11:46:17 AM »
bunny hop in the pea patch?  Chickism baby!

There is such a thing as a "jump stop" in the NBA.  Otis Thorpe was the master abuser of that rule.  I think you're confusing a legit jump stop with traveling.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

jn

bunny hop
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 01:22:13 PM »
A good jumps stop is a vital, fundamental move.  However the bunny hop did start to get abused very badly.  

If I were to point out one guy as the example of a I guy who would crossed over from a two footed jump stop to a guy who just flat out jumped and travelled it would be Isaiah Rider.   It always seemed, IMHO, that there was some sort of unwritten rule that the jump stop was acceptable if your feet were close to or actually grazing the floor but it would be travelling if you actually jumped way up out.