Author Topic: Nuggets  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Nuggets
« on: April 15, 2005, 11:07:44 PM »
The Nuggets are now 31-6 with Karl, including being on a 24-2 and 10 straight streak.

Now its at Hou and at Phx.

The Nuggs not only will probably get the 6th seed, they are in a position to get the 3rd seed.  I don't care if they don't get it.  17-25 to a shot at the 3rd seed is great.

COY irregardless of what comes down these last three games.

I'm hoping the Spurs can take out Memph on Sat & Mon.
The Clips are tied with the Suns as we speak.  91-91 4 minutes left.  Please overcome Dumbleavy!!

Guest_Randy

Nuggets
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 11:53:45 AM »
Couldn't disagree more!

First, I don't think you can have a COY who hasn't been with the same team all year long.  Karl looks even better because the Nuggets were underachieving -- sure, Karl changed all of that but we haven't even SEEN what his team can do against playoff contenders.  Denver is about in the same spot they were last year -- I don't think you give Karl COY for bring them back from their underachieving.  

Second, how can you deny what D'Antoni has done in Phoenix -- when you take a team and lead them to the best in the league (and NOBODY picked this team to be this good preseason), IMO, you HAVE to give him COY.  He deserves it more than anyone else, IMO.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Nuggets
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 01:50:57 PM »

First, I don't think you can have a COY who hasn't been with the same team all year long.  Karl looks even better because the Nuggets were underachieving -- sure, Karl changed all of that but we haven't even SEEN what his team can do against playoff contenders.  Denver is about in the same spot they were last year -- I don't think you give Karl COY for bring them back from their underachieving. 

Second, how can you deny what D'Antoni has done in Phoenix -- when you take a team and lead them to the best in the league (and NOBODY picked this team to be this good preseason), IMO, you HAVE to give him COY.  He deserves it more than anyone else, IMO.
Randolph,

That the award only goes for reg season is not my choice.  I would make C.O.Y. award after the playoffs.  Any doubt Larry Brown was C.O.Y. last year, in spite of the other East Favorites getting bitten by the injury bug?  However since it is based on reg season only, Karl didn't just "bring them back from underachieving" and "get them to the same spot as they were last year."  20-13 2003-4 start to 41-38.  Thats a 21-25 slide compared to Karls coma 31-6 with a current 24-2 roll.  Flippin 48-31 today!

Phx has had a very good season for sure, but I would pose the same thing to you.  Lets see what they can do in the playoffs.  Another Dallas?  Plus the changes and additions made in the offseason/midseason for Phx:

Nash
Q Richardson (overated gunner but still very effective in his Suns role)
Jimmy Jackson
Walter McCarty even he is providing some rest defense while dropping in a 3 bomb a game at 40% rate in 13 off bench minutes.

Ballhog Marbury out.

Those are subtantial changes.  Props to D'Antoni & Phx.  I don't say Karl in a lanslide.  Ditto Nate Mcmillian, Scott Skiles, Rick Carlisle.

We will find out even more tonight as Nuggets at Hou.  Then Phx Monday.  Hopefully the Phx game will still matter to Phx seedingwise.  I still have Karl in right now.  If he sweeps those two and it matter(ed) to Phx......ballgame.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 10:42:39 PM by Reality »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Nuggets
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 10:46:28 PM »
Update.  Well after leading by 14 in the 1st qtr.......
they got their arses ran off by 20.  
Camby out make that big a difference?  Maybe as Yao/Deke centers obliterated  Nene/Francisco Elson   24/23 to 13/6.
Mello reverted to sulking punk, KMart also was pouting.  Deke looked mean.  I saw about 1/2.

Please Nuggets rebound vs Phx.  SAC looks like they are going to wimp out twice vs Phx.  Spurs homecourt thru out?  Would take a Phx meltdown at this point.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 11:02:14 PM by Reality »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Nuggets
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 09:12:18 AM »
Personally, I've got McMillan for COY.  He worked his miracles in Seattle by picking up Danny Fortson.  DANNY FORTSON!  Allen and Lewis look better than they've ever looked, and Luke Ridnour, who couldn't "guard the chair I'm sitting in" as an announcer said on draft day, has turned into a solid point guard.  The Seattle reserve core looks solid - and cohesive - as well.  The fact that this team has accomplished anything makes McMillan my COY vote.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Nuggets
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 09:41:14 AM »
Well the Nuggets bubble sure popped the last two games.  With an improvement from #7 seed to #5 seed on the line also.  Maybe Camby being out makes a difference, altho Hou and Phx rocked.

In fact in their 24-4 incredirun they lost to Phx 3Xs, Houston once and only a Popavitch Offensive meltdown gave them a 90-87 sqeaker over the Spurs after trailing 87-80.

Still, the turnaround season was enough for me.  I'll stick with Karl.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 09:52:39 AM by Reality »

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Nuggets
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 11:15:05 AM »
IMO the COTY is hands down Rick Carlisle.  Hands down.  I don't think COTY automatically has to go to one of the people with the best records.

When the year ends Artest will have missed 75 games.  Jermaine O'neal 38.  Stephen Jackson 33.  And Jamaal Tinsley 42.  Their 4 best players combining to miss 189 games, over half the season each on average.  And yet, currently, they're 5 games above .500, running on the coattails of Fred Jones, Anthony Johnson and Austin Croshere.

Huh?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 11:16:04 AM by dbodner »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Nuggets
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 11:26:27 AM »
I must admit that in Karl choice i do have some sentiment because I loved the Sonics with a healthy Kemp, Payton, Nate McMillan and co.

Lets see what other teams coaches could do under the same circumstances as Carlisle?  What he did with the Pacers this year may indeed be the best.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Nuggets
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 01:23:21 PM »
Oh, I'm a big George Karl fan.  I'm a big Rick Carlisle fan.  Either of those guys would be great COY candidates.

But one coach improved the team with essentially the team he had last year.  And that was McMillan.

Carlisle would be good as a second choice.  And Karl would be more palatable if he had coached the entire season.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

Nuggets
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 02:06:11 PM »
Joe, while you do have a point, I think that success STILL factors in and that's why I go with D'Antoni at Phoenix.  Actually, both teams have a lot of similarities -- both retained much of their core, both started their seasons scorching hot, both added a player that helped turn the squad around and both faultered a bit later in the season due to injuries.  While I respect what McMillan has done in Seattle without a true superstar (sorry, I like Ray Allen but I don't feel he's a true superstar) I still give the nod to Phoenix.  

Actually, while someone else will win the 6th Man of the Year Award, I would say Danny Fortson is more important to Seattle's success than any other 6th man to his team in the league.  You look at it -- Fortson is out, the Sonics lose.  Fortson has given Seattle what they have needed the most -- tough, hard-nosed interior defense and rebounding -- and it has inspired the rest of the Sonics.  In fact, Danny Fortson is Seattle's MVP -- Rashard and Ray would tie for second.

MVP - IMO, Steve Nash hands down -- this guy IS why Phoenix is doing so well -- his passing is incredible but just his presence on the floor gives Stoudamire and the Suns sharpshooters that extra boost of confidence they need.  If Nash goes down, this team goes out in the first round -- easy!  Definately MVP, IMO (although Shaq DOES come in a close second).

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Nuggets
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 05:28:43 PM »
Joe, while you do have a point, I think that success STILL factors in and that's why I go with D'Antoni at Phoenix.  Actually, both teams have a lot of similarities -- both retained much of their core, both started their seasons scorching hot, both added a player that helped turn the squad around and both faultered a bit later in the season due to injuries.  While I respect what McMillan has done in Seattle without a true superstar (sorry, I like Ray Allen but I don't feel he's a true superstar) I still give the nod to Phoenix.  

Actually, while someone else will win the 6th Man of the Year Award, I would say Danny Fortson is more important to Seattle's success than any other 6th man to his team in the league.  You look at it -- Fortson is out, the Sonics lose.  Fortson has given Seattle what they have needed the most -- tough, hard-nosed interior defense and rebounding -- and it has inspired the rest of the Sonics.  In fact, Danny Fortson is Seattle's MVP -- Rashard and Ray would tie for second.

MVP - IMO, Steve Nash hands down -- this guy IS why Phoenix is doing so well -- his passing is incredible but just his presence on the floor gives Stoudamire and the Suns sharpshooters that extra boost of confidence they need.  If Nash goes down, this team goes out in the first round -- easy!  Definately MVP, IMO (although Shaq DOES come in a close second).
D'Antoni should be coach of the year IMO, the suns REALLY turned it around this year to becoming a real major player in the league.  You got to give them props on the record they earned this season.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.