Author Topic: Would a REAL fan chew out thier own team?  (Read 2928 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Would a REAL fan chew out thier own team?
« on: March 30, 2005, 10:48:41 PM »
Sent an email to the spurs when they lost three straight, I am sure I am not the only one.  I am sure they got A LOT of email on how bad they were playing.   Since then they have responded...WITHOUT TIM!  The gam is in the fourth, there is still A LOT of time left to lose, but the Spurs are playing STRONG!  AGAIN, WITHOUT TIM.  Is this what I expected...hell no, but i like it!  I LOVE IT!!  I know they are working hard, very hard, so i hope nobody gets hurt from playing so hard.  I like what I see in the guys right now, they have courage and heart, they dont have that look like they had to bury somebody.  Even if we do end up losing, this is NOT the same team I saw that I called "Pathetic" in my email to the organization.  nice to see them play this hard.  I am really impressed and this is MUCH more than I expected from them.  hope to see this continue while Tim is out.  Maybe it will gain them some respect from the crackhead sportswriters who said we were done, who said it is wide open now because Tim is hurt, who said tim would not be back, I hope they let thier actions speak for them on the court.   :D  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 09:02:30 AM »
I would argue that a real fan is one that wouldn't chew out his team.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 09:02:54 AM »
oops, that was me

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 09:30:33 AM »
I would argue that a real fan is one that wouldn't chew out his team.
I thougt about that too D, before I sent the email, but I was looking at the team and the way THEY looked - sad depressed faces - acting like they couldnt play without Tim out on the IL.  I was soo ticked off that I decided, "you know what, I got to say something!"  it may, or may not, have made it to them.  But I have seen them play better than what they played in those 3 losses, I knew they COULD play better, they just had to compete - and they didnt.  Anyway, they were talking to Bowen last night about what the difference was between the last couple of games and the three losses - he said they looked at themselves on the tapes and didnt want to look like that again, they realized they had to compete each game no matter if Tim is there or not.  nice.  I think they got denver next, so i hope they can keep the attitude going, Karl will get in the nuggets heads that Tim is out and to keep coming at us.  In any case, it's one thing to be supportive of someone when they are really down, the Spurs were not really down, they were just playing scared - they way i figured it, it's like being in your boxers corner, you can try to get in his head to relax and work out there for so long before you just start trygin to light a fire under them to go out and finally knock thier opponent out.
I figured the Spurs are probably getting A LOT of email syaing the same thing, so I sent it.   :unsure:   Again, I hope if it did reach them, they got the point and that it helped them look inside themselves and figure out they needed to fight for each win from here on out.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 09:34:54 AM by SPURSX3 »
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 09:32:30 AM »
I totally agree!

I don't think that being a "true" fan means blinded loyalty!  Sure, being a true fan will make us less than objective when it comes to "our" teams but it doesn't require blindly accepting everything they do.  It's the reason why I LOVED listening to Chick Hearns -- the guy said it straight -- when they were playing great, he said it, when they were playing horrible, he said that too.  And that didn't just go for the bench warmers -- it went for superstars like Magic, Kareem, Shaq, Kobe, etc.  He simply said it the way it was -- BOY do I miss those days!  I NEVER listen to LA Laker radio these days -- EVER!  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 10:51:03 AM »
If anything a real fan WOULD send emails.  Shows you care about the team alot.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 10:51:15 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 11:15:35 AM »
d'oh d'oh d'oh.

Being from philly you should know that was a typo.

It should have been:
I would argue that a fan isn't a real fan if he won't chew out his team.

Mornings are not good to me.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 12:02:20 PM »
If anything a real fan WOULD send emails.
I agree...oh wait, you said "faN".  Uhmmm....nevermind.  
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 12:19:01 PM »
Actually X3...you need to throw beer on the other team's best player in order to show how much you really care for your team.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 12:59:22 PM »
If the team deserved it, of course they should.  Too bad when you chew out your government you get branded a traitor instead!  Even worse the rest of the people (seemingly) believe that.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 01:17:53 PM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with "chewing out the government" -- and I don't think that means you get branded a "traitor" either.  I disagree with some on their takes -- and I also disagree with the way some have "protested" -- but to stand up and disagree is a right that people have died in order to provide for us.  I respect both the right (even though I also use the right given to disagree) and those who paid that kind of price for me to be able to use it!

Of course, the BEST right is the right to vote!  I REALLY have a problem with people who sit around and gripe about the government but don't vote (of course, they have they don't have too -- those people died for that right as well as much as I disagree with it).

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 03:34:29 PM »
If the team deserved it, of course they should.  Too bad when you chew out your government you get branded a traitor instead!  Even worse the rest of the people (seemingly) believe that.
rick, do you turn every bit of conversation into your own little protest?  man i think the "robots" post in GD ended in a blast against our government from you...lol.

i can already see Christmas like this, "want to unwrap your present rick?"

"sure, then i can be like our government and unwrap our right to privacy, free speech and individuality..."  <everyone in the room is speechless, as rick rips our government a new one.>   :rofl:

I am just kidding of course.  It just seemed like we had a more mellow rick a few weeks ago.  hope all is well on your end.  stressed?  

:D  :cheers:  

rickortreat

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 04:04:49 PM »
Well, I'm just a little more peeved than usual.  Being unemployed for as long as I have been is getting annoying.

As for the government, I've made my feelings well known, but the Shiavo thing was really beyond the pale, as far as I was concerned.

There is another issue before congress now that we should all be concerned about.  The weasels in the banking industry want to change the bankruptsy laws.  Of course the new changes have nothing to do with a corporation going under, but if for any reason you go under, basically they'd own you!

This more than sucks, but the media isn't even covering it with all the stuff about Shiavo and the Presidents plan for Social Security, which doens't even address the solvency issue.  

So let me ask you, isn't this new law something we should be concerned about, and shouldn't it be getting more coverage in the media?  Especially since every company out there continues to send me applications for new credit cards.  Yeah, they're really being responsible, sending out applications to the unemployed and then wanting the government to bail them out by changing the bankruptsy rules!

But it is what it is.  Thanks for asking.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 04:28:48 PM »
Well, I'm just a little more peeved than usual.  Being unemployed for as long as I have been is getting annoying.

As for the government, I've made my feelings well known, but the Shiavo thing was really beyond the pale, as far as I was concerned.

There is another issue before congress now that we should all be concerned about.  The weasels in the banking industry want to change the bankruptsy laws.  Of course the new changes have nothing to do with a corporation going under, but if for any reason you go under, basically they'd own you!

This more than sucks, but the media isn't even covering it with all the stuff about Shiavo and the Presidents plan for Social Security, which doens't even address the solvency issue.  

So let me ask you, isn't this new law something we should be concerned about, and shouldn't it be getting more coverage in the media?  Especially since every company out there continues to send me applications for new credit cards.  Yeah, they're really being responsible, sending out applications to the unemployed and then wanting the government to bail them out by changing the bankruptsy rules!

Actually, Rick, I already have a problem with bankruptcy laws -- both individual AND corporate!  I have seen FAR too many businesses fail and declare bankruptcy only to turn around and open again under a new name!  I have ZERO idea how they manage to do that!  I don't have a problem with remanaging debt because you are still being responsible for what you have incurred but this whole idea of walking away from the debt you have accrued so that you can reestablish yourself is just another way of not making people responsible for their own actions.  

Now, I know of some people who have accrued debt by having poor health insurance and having a major medical catastrophe -- I'd be ALL for using my tax money to help them -- but that's not the majority of people who are abusing the bankruptcy laws -- and there are a TON of people doing that these days (umm, that's the reason why there are so many "bankruptcy" lawyers paying prime money for television ads because it's the "cure" for being in debt!).  I don't know much about the bill that you refer to and would like more information about it but this is an area that NEEDS tightened up, IMO.

Point-in-case, I knew of a contractor who was to build a pool for my brother (granted, my brother used a builder who wasn't bonded which was dumb, IMO, but he said he couldn't find a bonded builder) and he barely started the process before he declared bankruptcy (which means he STOLE, IMO, the 50% my brother had already put up on the pool) -- he then, turned around, and opened another company under a different name!  I STILL don't understand the loophole that allows this!!!  My brother had to pay someone to come in and fix some things that this contractor did and then pay someone else to install the pool resulting in a $40,000 pool (a pool that was originally going to cost $18,000).  Now, I think my brother made some stupid decisions here but it doesn't negate the fact that this contractor was able to file for bankruptcy and then reopen his doors without having to pay back the money that he had bilked from customers (my brother wasn't the only one).  

There are a LOT of problems with both commercial and individual bankruptcy and I'd like to see both of them addressed.

And I won't get you started on Social Security however I will say that I don't like what Bush is doing but I haven't liked what anyone else is proposing either.  I can't see how Social Security is EVER going to be solvent -- what was once meant as a "retirement stipend" is now total retirement for too many people -- and the retirement issue ISN'T the biggest part of that -- it's Medicare!  SS is NEVER going to be able to keep up with rising Medicare/Prescription costs -- people are living longer, medical technology is higher than ever, lawsuits against doctors (and therefore malpractice insurance) not to mention the incredible amount of money that is being raked in by pharmetics companies.  SS CAN'T remain solvent while trying to pay the Medicare bill for our present seniors.  Granted, rather than investing SS in the past, congress has spent it all creating some of our current problem.  I don't like Bush's plan -- but I don't like any of the other plans I have heard either!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 05:10:18 PM »

rick, i know what you mean, i have look up this new information myself, and yes it IS much harder for individuals to recover now. I think the little guy needs protectioni from the credit card monsters IMO.  they hit you up as soon as you get to college, what a way to hook and make debt happen, sign up kids who will spend liek crazy on plastic...