Author Topic: Ventre -- the Lakers need to trade Kobe . . .  (Read 6866 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Ventre -- the Lakers need to trade Kobe . . .
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2005, 04:10:09 PM »
From ESPN news: Kobe and Chucky Atkins got into a fight

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Los Angeles, Cal. -- NBA superstar Kobe Bryant and teammate Chucky Atkins had to be separated after last nights game versus the Minnesota Timberwolves after Atkins jumped on Bryant. Bryant threw Atkins off him and began to kick him in the face.

Allegdly, Bryant told Atkins he was a 'bum' for missing four consecutive three point attempts late in the second quarter in yesterdays game.

Earlier this week Bryant and Atkins had a war of words in the media after Atkins referred to Bryant as 'the GM'.
*Looks at date*

A for effort...he didnt take 4 three point shots towards the end of the second quarter.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2005, 04:26:30 PM »
Okay - you want simple, here it is -

Shaq in LA does not work out, gets fat, demands more money while still leading the team to three championships, but he turns around his failings once traded to Miami.

Am I blaming his faults while in Los Angeles on Kobe? Am I declaring that his attitude improved once he was separated from Kobe and the Laker environment that was backing Kobe instead of him? Call it fiscal, or whatever, but Shaq acted like he had had enough of teaming with Bryant. LA was just where he played with him.

So maybe he recommits while in Miami because he has something to prove. Like he can win without Kobe and he was the main reason that LA was successful, not Bryant.

:huh:  :huh:  :huh:  :huh:

Sorry... but guys - isn't that the point I was trying to make? Am I not conveying exactly that thought? So Kobe is finally motivating Shaq to get in shape. Odd that he is doing it 3,000 miles away from him instead of along side of him. Kobe is really a genius at motivating (ex) teammates!!

I believe what I have been saying is that the reason the Lakers were able to play as effectively against other teams had to do with Shaq's presense on the Lakers, not Kobe's. I still can't understand how you keep missing that point. Who cares whether Shaq was on the bench while Kobe did his thing? The games were predicated on dealing with Shaq and (enter secondary support player's name here). Secondary support player puts up all star stats and gets on ESPN often as he breaks down opponents. Secondary support player talks magnanimously about how his teammates helped him get open and he couldn't have done it all on his own.

How come you guys only talk about when Kobe won those games instead of the equal number the Lakers may have won if he had passed the ball into the low post to Shaq instead of trying to be the hero every time. Kobe won his share on his own. I seem to remember him losing his share as well, and this during your hayday years.

Did I again forget to mention my sole point of this is that Kobe still thinks he is "THAT GUY", and he does not need the help of a teammate attracting most of the defensive attention? How do I keep forgetting to mention that Kobe was the beneficiary of playing along side Shaq, while Shaq seems able to create an all star player along side him, who may not really be as great as they think they are on their own? Penny Hardaway's all star slide, while injury induced, looked like it was on its way anyway. Wade is playing all star level ball now. Was he considered the equal of James or Anthony coming into the League? Uh....no, though he looked good his rookie year, this season he looks REAL good.

Kobe? He had no business being a starter on the all star team this year over Steve Nash. Maybe a back up to McGrady, but not as a starter. But he has been rewarded that designation since his undeserving placement on the team his rookie year.

However, all of this talk about his talent is totally irrelevant. I concede the fact the kid does have talent, okay. Can we at least agree that I know he can play basketball?

And that the Lakers will never improve dramatically until they trade him and start over without his baggage, isolation issues, talent for making disgruntled teammates, and maintaining a ridiculously loyal fan base who can not now, nor never will see how he is ruining your pride.
Okay - you want simple, here it is -

--Lets see if I came make it simple for you in this reply.  You havent seemed to get it or you are being hard headed on purpose.  Id say the later.

Shaq in LA does not work out, gets fat, demands more money while still leading the team to three championships, but he turns around his failings once traded to Miami.

--Shaq's dominating play started to go down hill after the first championship.  2nd season he was badly out of shape and took most of the season to get into playing shape for the playoffs.  Kobe's game improved greatly in the off-season and it showed.  Shaq didnt have to work as much because Kobe's game improved.   LA dumps him off in Miami, it bruises his ego, so he gets motivated because he wants to prove to all nba fans the Laker's management are idiots.  Simple enough right?

Am I blaming his faults while in Los Angeles on Kobe? Am I declaring that his attitude improved once he was separated from Kobe and the Laker environment that was backing Kobe instead of him? Call it fiscal, or whatever, but Shaq acted like he had had enough of teaming with Bryant. LA was just where he played with him.

--Let me point something out for the 10th time to people outside of LA...Shaq had a problem with Kobe from the get go.  He didnt develop a dislike for him over the years, he had it in for him since the kid first started.  Explain to me why Shaq, mr. big brother to all, got on Kobe from the minute he put on a Laker uniform?  Instead of helping him out realizing that 'this kid is 18 and will need some guidance'.  He does the opposite and treats him badly, talks bad about him to teammates, and is an asshole to him.  Any Laker fan can tell you Shaq got real jealous because of the media covering the new kid and not giving Shaq all the attention he wanted.

I believe what I have been saying is that the reason the Lakers were able to play as effectively against other teams had to do with Shaq's presense on the Lakers, not Kobe's. I still can't understand how you keep missing that point. Who cares whether Shaq was on the bench while Kobe did his thing? The games were predicated on dealing with Shaq and (enter secondary support player's name here). Secondary support player puts up all star stats and gets on ESPN often as he breaks down opponents. Secondary support player talks magnanimously about how his teammates helped him get open and he couldn't have done it all on his own.

--And I believe we are trying to explain to you that it took BOTH to get them to dominate the league.  You think its all Shaq and we are trying to point out that Kobe played a major role himself.  Did Shaq help out Kobe? Yes.  Quite a bit.  Did Kobe help out Shaq?  Very much so.  He dominated the perimeter those 3 years the Lakers handed the rest of the league a butt whooping.  If you dont think that gives Shaq more room to operate and makes his job easier I dont know what to say.

How come you guys only talk about when Kobe won those games instead of the equal number the Lakers may have won if he had passed the ball into the low post to Shaq instead of trying to be the hero every time. Kobe won his share on his own. I seem to remember him losing his share as well, and this during your hayday years.

--"being the hero everytime"  And this is where your bias comes in and keeps you from being able to argue your point without people rolling their eyes at some of the things you are posting.  I believe it was Kobe's non-selfish pass to Shaq that got the Lakers past the Blazers and into the finals against the Pacers.  Kobe had an open shot but chose to go for the iffy alley oop to Shaq who had someone right there.

Did I again forget to mention my sole point of this is that Kobe still thinks he is "THAT GUY", and he does not need the help of a teammate attracting most of the defensive attention? How do I keep forgetting to mention that Kobe was the beneficiary of playing along side Shaq, while Shaq seems able to create an all star player along side him, who may not really be as great as they think they are on their own? Penny Hardaway's all star slide, while injury induced, looked like it was on its way anyway. Wade is playing all star level ball now. Was he considered the equal of James or Anthony coming into the League? Uh....no, though he looked good his rookie year, this season he looks REAL good.

--He is THAT GUY.  Who else on the Lakers is THAT GUY?  If he doesnt think he needs help from his teammates why are his assists up this year even tho the team shooting pct is lower?  Why is he one of the league leaders in triple doubles and has 40% more assists than last year?  Shaq isnt with Kobe now and hes putting up great numbers.  So how does this fit your logic JoMaL?  Shouldnt Kobe not be playing as well now since Shaq is gone?  Was Wade considered equal to James or Anthony?  Not by the media.  Use the board search feature...I believe *I* said in a thread on this board that he played better ball than both LAST YEAR and should have got the ROY.  Wade is still playing his style of basketball but has matured, got larger, and knows the game better.  Does he benefit from Shaq? Yes.  What about when Shaq's on the bench?  He still plays VERY WELL.

Kobe had no business being on the all-star team as a starter?  LOL.  Again with the bias.  T-Mac did but Kobe didnt?  The guy who was averaging 28 points, almost 7 rebounds and 7 assists shouldnt have got a starting spot :lol: :lol:

JoMaL...yes teams gear what they are doing around Shaq or decide to stop everyone else but Shaq.  When teams play Miami they focus in on Wade too....and this may be REALLY hard for you to believe but when Shaq hits the bench or is having an off game coaches adjust their gameplan accordingly.  I know, imagine an NBA coach deciding that Wade needs to get more attention because hes about to drop 45 and Shaq is missing chip shots and freethrows.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 04:39:49 PM by westkoast »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2005, 04:32:59 PM »

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Los Angeles, Cal. -- NBA superstar Kobe Bryant and teammate Chucky Atkins had to be separated after last nights game versus the Minnesota Timberwolves after Atkins jumped on Bryant. Bryant threw Atkins off him and began to kick him in the face.

Allegdly, Bryant told Atkins he was a 'bum' for missing four consecutive three point attempts late in the second quarter in yesterdays game.

Earlier this week Bryant and Atkins had a war of words in the media after Atkins referred to Bryant as 'the GM'.
*Looks at date*

A for effort...he didnt take 4 three point shots towards the end of the second quarter.
Look at the DATE!!!!!

The statement that Kobe was winning the fight should have been enough to give it away... :D  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2005, 04:41:04 PM »

Quote:

*Looks at date*

Look at the DATE!!!!!

The statement that Kobe was winning the fight should have been enough to give it away... :D
LOL!

Chucky looks like a caveman so since there was no mention of a clubbing, I dont believe it.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2005, 07:42:45 PM »
What I believe is that Shaq was not motivated in LA primarily because of Kobe's attitude, whatever it was. What I believe is that his own lack of fitness was a result of him not liking the attention Kobe got from management instead of what he was doing. I think we agree on that one. The whole point being that, as you observed, Shaq did not care for Kobe.

But this quote by you,
Instead of helping him out realizing that 'this kid is 18 and will need some guidance'. He does the opposite and treats him badly, talks bad about him to teammates, and is an asshole to him. Any Laker fan can tell you Shaq got real jealous because of the media covering the new kid and not giving Shaq all the attention he wanted.
 does not sound altogether true. The main reason? From all you and I have heard about their personal issues, one of the main problems was that Kobe never listened to anyone – then or now. Knowing that, isn't it much more likely that O'Neal DID approach Kobe about giving guidance or whatever and Kobe told Shaq to mind his own business? That would have certainly lead to O'Neal's current attitude towards Kobe that has been evident from the beginning, as you pointed out. I am sure any Laker fan can also tell you that Kobe's 'me' attitude was evident from the beginning and maybe Shaq thought he should have been given his props from the new kid, because that also sounds about right. What I am telling you is that I side with O'Neal on that one – he deserved a little bit of Kobe's respect, and Kobe should have been polite and listened to him. It looks now like that would have been enough to at least get off on the right foot.

Oh, I understand how Shaq benefited by having someone else on the team to take some of the load off, but
….that it took BOTH to get them to dominate the league
is where I completely differ from you. Kobe benefited much more having Shaq on his team then Shaq benefited having Kobe. As I stated, I could see plenty of quality secondary players in the NBA who could have filled Bryant's role in those years. Nearly all of them would have been better teammates then Kobe, better listeners then Kobe, less isolated then Kobe, and willing to defer to the greater force of nature then Kobe did.

That Kobe often took over games is not a plus factor in his favor, by the way, even if he won some of those games. It was an indication that he wants the same recognition of greatness bestowed on Michael Jordan. Forget Shaq's attitude about his own self-worth, Kobe was way ahead of him. Kobe is running his personal MJ class way too often and not quite measuring up. His me-first game is being exposed more now that Shaq is gone. But his handling of all the off-court problems is where he never will measure up to Jordan, who had plenty of things going on in his life as a pro. But MJ was given a lifeline often by the media and others. Kobe is floundering, exposed and humiliated. It goes back to his own isolation. It is not good and he has no hope of recovering from it, not while he still is in Los Angeles.

--
"being the hero everytime" And this is where your bias comes in and keeps you from being able to argue your point without people rolling their eyes at some of the things you are posting. I believe it was Kobe's  - "non-selfish' -  pass to Shaq that got the Lakers past the Blazers and into the finals against the Pacers. Kobe had an open shot but chose to go for the iffy alley oop to Shaq who had someone right there.

Umm, WK, - how do I put this delicately. I think you need to think about how that sounds with the "non-selfish" wording there. You see, it is NOT a non-selfish pass. It is simply a pass. That you included the "non-selfish" part? It makes it sound like you have to defend Kobe's game against him looking selfish, which is his image, and that image was the first thing I thought about after seeing your wording.

And yeah, I did roll my eyes when I read that because I know that could not have been what you meant to imply, but that is how we evildoers who endure those of you who find it necessary to defend Kobe against such accusations understood it. Apparently you missed the memo about not adding to the imagery.

He is THAT GUY. Who else on the Lakers is THAT GUY? If he doesnt think he needs help from his teammates why are his assists up this year even tho the team shooting pct is lower? Why is he one of the league leaders in triple doubles and has 40% more assists than last year? Shaq isnt with Kobe now and hes putting up great numbers. So how does this fit your logic JoMaL? Shouldnt Kobe not be playing as well now since Shaq is gone? Was Wade considered equal to James or Anthony? Not by the media. Use the board search feature...I believe *I* said in a thread on this board that he played better ball than both LAST YEAR and should have got the ROY. Wade is still playing his style of basketball but has matured, got larger, and knows the game better. Does he benefit from Shaq? Yes. What about when Shaq's on the bench? He still plays VERY WELL.

As the implication goes, there is nothing quite like defending the stats of a ballhog.

I read an article today, doing some research I might add, and found a website that is completely stat oriented. It also does umpteen polls on various things. In one of their preseason polls, they had predicted that Kobe would win the MVP this year, after he leads the Lakers into the playoffs and proving to a disbelieving world that he actually could do it alone. It went on to declare the biggest failure in the race would be Shaq, as he bums out in Miami with a bunch of no-names.  A more recent article on the same webpage provided a poll on who should win the award now (it's Shaq, BTW), and who else might win it, like Nash or Stoudamire. And it talked about who is the LEAST deserving MVP candidate. Yeah, I am afraid they gave that honor to your guy. They came out and admitted they had misjudged what Bryant would be able to do. He lost out mainly on being a bad teammate, of all things. Personally, I thought it was a low blow after the preseason declaration. That was hitting below the belt.

But this stuff certainly fits with my logic  :D

had no business being on the all-star team as a starter? LOL. Again with the bias. T-Mac did but Kobe didnt? The guy who was averaging 28 points, almost 7 rebounds and 7 assists shouldnt have got a starting spot  

No, he shouldn't.

I always thought the guys who provided the best impact on their teams (positive, not negative) should be starters on the all star team. Nash and Bibby over Bryant and McGrady, for instance. Both are point guards, you say? So what, McGrady and Bryant are both shooting guards. So let's just pick one of each. I pick McGrady over Bryant, as he seems to find more use out of his teammates, and Nash over Bibby.

JoMaL...yes teams gear what they are doing around Shaq or decide to stop everyone else but Shaq. When teams play Miami they focus in on Wade too....and this may be REALLY hard for you to believe but when Shaq hits the bench or is having an off game coaches adjust their gameplan accordingly. I know, imagine an NBA coach deciding that Wade needs to get more attention because hes about to drop 45 and Shaq is missing chip shots and freethrows.

Westkoast, this is hardly worth arguing, you are so wrong on this. But here it goes. If Shaq gets hurt, or never plays for the Heat, Wade would be mentioned today as a great guard playing on a really lousy lottery team.

I believe that description applies accurately to Kobe Bryant this year.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2005, 07:50:42 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2005, 08:09:58 PM »
That Kobe won games against the Kings and others 'ON HIS OWN'!!

Now, gentlemen!! From that little snippet from the past, I have to assume that you are now admitting that Kobe is LOSING all these games on his own as well.

Thats my favorite one.

"Shaq would not be in shape this year either if he stayed in LA".
Assumes facts not in evidence.  I'm not so sure a 2005 Laker Shaq minus Kobe hyped to the nth degree by the media Krishnas would have motivated Shaq just as much as he is with the Heat.

Granted Shaq changing not only teams but conferences makes a more distinct line, but Kobadiah leaving also might have driven Shaq.  Esp if the Pampered One Bryant would have become a Clipper.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2005, 09:19:45 AM »
That Kobe won games against the Kings and others 'ON HIS OWN'!!

Now, gentlemen!! From that little snippet from the past, I have to assume that you are now admitting that Kobe is LOSING all these games on his own as well.

Thats my favorite one.

"Shaq would not be in shape this year either if he stayed in LA".
Assumes facts not in evidence.  I'm not so sure a 2005 Laker Shaq minus Kobe hyped to the nth degree by the media Krishnas would have motivated Shaq just as much as he is with the Heat.

Granted Shaq changing not only teams but conferences makes a more distinct line, but Kobadiah leaving also might have driven Shaq.  Esp if the Pampered One Bryant would have become a Clipper.
Okay, time for a "Reality" check.

YOU talk about making assumptions -- IF Kobe had left and Shaq had decided to get into shape (to make a point), take a look at our line-up.  We would have, umm, Gary Payton (yeah, he did a great job last year, didn't he?) and Slava Medvendenko, Kareem Rush, Devean George, and Luke Walton -- you REALLY think Shaq would take that squad to a championship?  Shoot, the opposition would have quadruple teamed him and the Lakers would have been totally unable to stop them from doing so because of an inability to spread the floor.  The Lakers wouldn't have been able to sign any quality FA's because Shaq would have eaten up half of the salary cap ALL BY HIMSELF!!!  He wanted an extension in the $22 mill a year range -- doesn't leave much room to sign somebody who is going to help spread the floor, huh?  And look at that defensive team, boy that is going to scare teams, isn't it?  Again, Shaq needed Kobe as much as Kobe needed Shaq -- they are BOTH such punks they can't admit they need anyone!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2005, 09:49:37 AM »
What I believe is that Shaq was not motivated in LA primarily because of Kobe's attitude, whatever it was. What I believe is that his own lack of fitness was a result of him not liking the attention Kobe got from management instead of what he was doing. I think we agree on that one. The whole point being that, as you observed, Shaq did not care for Kobe.

--He didnt care for Kobe from day one.  So your reasoning of his attitude and his ego being the main reason Shaq left this past year isnt true.  He didnt like Kobe before he even got to know him.  Ask ANYONE who has paid close attention to the Lakers since Kobe first got drafted.

does not sound altogether true. The main reason? From all you and I have heard about their personal issues, one of the main problems was that Kobe never listened to anyone – then or now. Knowing that, isn't it much more likely that O'Neal DID approach Kobe about giving guidance or whatever and Kobe told Shaq to mind his own business? That would have certainly lead to O'Neal's current attitude towards Kobe that has been evident from the beginning, as you pointed out. I am sure any Laker fan can also tell you that Kobe's 'me' attitude was evident from the beginning and maybe Shaq thought he should have been given his props from the new kid, because that also sounds about right. What I am telling you is that I side with O'Neal on that one – he deserved a little bit of Kobe's respect, and Kobe should have been polite and listened to him. It looks now like that would have been enough to at least get off on the right foot.

--Shaq had it in for Kobe at the begging of Kobe's first season.  He treated him like crap.  Do you take orders and listen to people who are that way to you?  Didnt think so.   Shaq approached him to help him out: :rofl: Are you serious?  Shaq already had a problem because the LA media was hyping Kobe up big time, Jerry West was in love with him, and us fans were buzzing about him.  Shaq would not put his ego aside to help him.....in fact he did the exact opposite because of his ego.  Us Laker fans have known this for a while, thats why its not hard for us to grasp.  This is ancient history now JoMaL.  Nothing you can say on this board is going to change that.  Kobe gave Shaq more than enough props but Shaq didnt like the fact the new kid was getting alot of attention.  No it wasnt the media's fault, it was Kobe's.

Oh, I understand how Shaq benefited by having someone else on the team to take some of the load off, but
….that it took BOTH to get them to dominate the league

is where I completely differ from you. Kobe benefited much more having Shaq on his team then Shaq benefited having Kobe. As I stated, I could see plenty of quality secondary players in the NBA who could have filled Bryant's role in those years. Nearly all of them would have been better teammates then Kobe, better listeners then Kobe, less isolated then Kobe, and willing to defer to the greater force of nature then Kobe did.

--This is JoMaL in what-ifs-ville.  You THINK so and so could have helped.   You THINK they would have been better listeners.  You THINK they would have been better teammates.   In order to dominate the league, 3 peat, and lose only one game in the playoffs everything has to be just about perfect.  Id love to hear your list of players who could score, play defense, and pick up on the triangle as quick as Kobe did.  Who isolated Kobe?  SHAQ and his age.  Two things he has no control over.  What do you not get about that?  Shaq takes a dump on and all the guys are going out to drink/goto strip clubs....both of which you are 3 years too young to do.

That Kobe often took over games is not a plus factor in his favor, by the way, even if he won some of those games. It was an indication that he wants the same recognition of greatness bestowed on Michael Jordan. Forget Shaq's attitude about his own self-worth, Kobe was way ahead of him. Kobe is running his personal MJ class way too often and not quite measuring up. His me-first game is being exposed more now that Shaq is gone. But his handling of all the off-court problems is where he never will measure up to Jordan, who had plenty of things going on in his life as a pro. But MJ was given a lifeline often by the media and others. Kobe is floundering, exposed and humiliated. It goes back to his own isolation. It is not good and he has no hope of recovering from it, not while he still is in Los Angeles.

--Or maybe its because quite frankly hes the best guard on the team to take the last second shot when its inbounded far out?  You know as oppose to trying to throw a lob to Shaq in traffic with a few seconds left....only to have him hacked and not get the call.  Believe me, ive seen ti plenty of times.  Me-first game?  Why are his assists up JoMaL?  Why was there better ball movement before the triangle was put into place?  Again...you are full of it and trying to bait for the sake of bordem.  Youve watched the Lakers a whoppin 4 times this year  :rolleyes:   When the Lakers lose Kobe should have shot more....if he shoots more and they lose he shot too much.   I believe they did a good job 2 of the nights against your team because of ball movement initiated by Mr. Bryant.
--

Umm, WK, - how do I put this delicately. I think you need to think about how that sounds with the "non-selfish" wording there. You see, it is NOT a non-selfish pass. It is simply a pass. That you included the "non-selfish" part? It makes it sound like you have to defend Kobe's game against him looking selfish, which is his image, and that image was the first thing I thought about after seeing your wording.

--Uhh I put 'non-selfish' there because of a direct response to what you said.  Obviously I thru it in with some sarcasm.   It was a pass, thats it.  Lets not try to twist words around here.  You know why I put that.  Let's save that trickery for our children shall we?

As the implication goes, there is nothing quite like defending the stats of a ballhog.

I read an article today, doing some research I might add, and found a website that is completely stat oriented. It also does umpteen polls on various things. In one of their preseason polls, they had predicted that Kobe would win the MVP this year, after he leads the Lakers into the playoffs and proving to a disbelieving world that he actually could do it alone. It went on to declare the biggest failure in the race would be Shaq, as he bums out in Miami with a bunch of no-names. A more recent article on the same webpage provided a poll on who should win the award now (it's Shaq, BTW), and who else might win it, like Nash or Stoudamire. And it talked about who is the LEAST deserving MVP candidate. Yeah, I am afraid they gave that honor to your guy. They came out and admitted they had misjudged what Bryant would be able to do. He lost out mainly on being a bad teammate, of all things. Personally, I thought it was a low blow after the preseason declaration. That was hitting below the belt.

--LOL...somenoe wasted their finger power with this one.  Who cares?  Being a bad teammate?  JoMaL which Laker player are you really? Slava?  Vlade?

had no business being on the all-star team as a starter? LOL. Again with the bias. T-Mac did but Kobe didnt? The guy who was averaging 28 points, almost 7 rebounds and 7 assists shouldnt have got a starting spot    

No, he shouldn't.

I always thought the guys who provided the best impact on their teams (positive, not negative) should be starters on the all star team. Nash and Bibby over Bryant and McGrady, for instance. Both are point guards, you say? So what, McGrady and Bryant are both shooting guards. So let's just pick one of each. I pick McGrady over Bryant, as he seems to find more use out of his teammates, and Nash over Bibby.

--Uhh again with the bias..the Rockers were doing very poorly the first half of the season.  While the Lakers were sitting in the 6th spot and had a better record until Kobe got injured.  Kobe had the better stats while not having a Yao Ming or the rest of the supporting players the Rockets have compared to the Lakers.  After this little part 'as he seems to find mroe use out of his teammates' I am done arguing with you.  My stomach hurts from laughing so hard with only coffee in my stomach.  This is you making things up again.  T-Mac didnt even know how to play with his new team for 80% of the first half of the season.  EVERYONE knows that.  You cant re-create the begging of the season LOL.

Westkoast, this is hardly worth arguing, you are so wrong on this. But here it goes. If Shaq gets hurt, or never plays for the Heat, Wade would be mentioned today as a great guard playing on a really lousy lottery team.

I believe that description applies accurately to Kobe Bryant this year.

--But see here is the difference to sum up everything......if that did happen to Wade you wouldnt be on his ass.  Wade hasnt consistantly torched your team in the playoffs.  Wade would be a great guard with management not putting the right players around him.  As oppose to Kobe being a horrible teammate, bad player, who cant make Mihm, Atkins, Slava, George, Tierre Brown, and Sasha Vauchic into great players.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 10:01:05 AM by westkoast »

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2005, 09:51:45 AM »
Attempted Reality check by Randolph:
Shoot, the opposition would have quadruple teamed him and the Lakers would have been totally unable to stop them from doing so because of an inability to spread the floor.  The Lakers wouldn't have been able to sign any quality FA's because Shaq would have eaten up half of the salary cap ALL BY HIMSELF!!!  He wanted an extension in the $22 mill a year range -- doesn't leave much room to sign somebody who is going to help spread the floor, huh?  And look at that defensive team, boy that is going to scare teams, isn't it?  Again, Shaq needed Kobe as much as Kobe needed Shaq -- they are BOTH such punks they can't admit they need anyone!

Some Reality:

An in shape Shaq would make all those players better.  Rush looked very good in the playoffs.  Even Slava had his moments.  Also a "team ball" Shaq, even if it is motivated by wanting to show up Kobadiah, is good as we are seeing in Miami.
Look at the rebirth of Chrissy Laetner.

I also think the MailCheap would have come back with Bryant gone/Shaq in.
They also certainly might have gotten an additional gift free agent looking to play with Shaq/Lakers and enjoy the perks that come with it.

You Lakers all scoffed at us and plugged your ears as usual when we suggested a sign n trade with Bryant last midseason.  Pampered Puss getting the near max with the Clippers? Spurs? altho we wouldnt give up GNob.  Granted Bryant probably would not have done a sign n trade, too selfish.   But who knows....  Where would the Flakers be now had they done a sign n trade last season.  Bobby Simmons Chris Kaman rookie Livingston?  In retro what a far superior move trading Kobe and getting players in return as opposed to what Buss did do jettisoning Shaq.  

Lakers would not have had to give an extension to Shaq.  Make him play with his existing contract.  He's doing it in Miami.  As Jomal stated it sounded more like a ploy to prove who the bigger Ape was, he or Bryant.  With all the media hype and energy, I think he would have played for his existing *only* 22 million.

They would win 50+ at least and also compete in the playoffs.  Toss in a mid season (last season) acquisition of ????? for Bryant and they are in the title hunt big time for at least this year and next.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 11:04:24 AM by Reality »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2005, 10:56:05 AM »
YOU talk about making assumptions -- IF Kobe had left and Shaq had decided to get into shape (to make a point), take a look at our line-up.  We would have, umm, Gary Payton (yeah, he did a great job last year, didn't he?) and Slava Medvendenko, Kareem Rush, Devean George, and Luke Walton -- you REALLY think Shaq would take that squad to a championship?  Shoot, the opposition would have quadruple teamed him and the Lakers would have been totally unable to stop them from doing so because of an inability to spread the floor.  The Lakers wouldn't have been able to sign any quality FA's because Shaq would have eaten up half of the salary cap ALL BY HIMSELF!!!  He wanted an extension in the $22 mill a year range -- doesn't leave much room to sign somebody who is going to help spread the floor, huh?  And look at that defensive team, boy that is going to scare teams, isn't it?  Again, Shaq needed Kobe as much as Kobe needed Shaq -- they are BOTH such punks they can't admit they need anyone!
Randy, if you want to play that "What if..." game, you should also play it out completely. I seriously doubt that Kobe would have been traded away for nothing. Let's not make out that the Laker management is completely idiotic, right? If they had kept Shaq, it is conceivable they would have gotten at least one good player in return to join Shaq and quite possibly get the Lakers in the playoffs.

Also, never patronize me like that again. To list out players who are not now on the team, nor unlikely to have stayed with the Lakers anyway (Payton, Rush), or  bench players, like Walton, to make your point is insulting and it weakens your arguement. If Bryant had been traded, there undoubtedly would have been at least one, viable starter in return, more likely two.

Use some damned logic!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2005, 11:14:36 AM »
Also, never patronize me like that again. To list out players who are not now on the team, nor unlikely to have stayed with the Lakers anyway (Payton, Rush), or bench players, like Walton, to make your point is insulting and it weakens your arguement. If Bryant had been traded, there undoubtedly would have been at least one, viable starter in return, more likely two.

Wow, someone got up on the wrong side of the state, huh?  

Umm, since I was directing my point to Reality, perhaps you could see that I wasn't actually "patronizing" you.  

Also, the Lakers WEREN'T going to sign Fish to another contract (esp. anything close to what he was getting in LA) and so they WOULD have kept Payton unless they could have gotten a strong young PG -- I don't see that happening.

The reason the Lakers traded Rush was due to the fact that with Kobe he isn't going to see any playing time.  Take Kobe out of that scenario and I don't see us trading Rush (umm, look what we got for him -- a 2nd round draft pick -- nope, the Lakers would have held on to him).

So, look at the line-up -- who did the Lakers have?  They stated pretty clearly that they weren't going to trade Kobe -- so if you let Kobe walk, what are you going to get for him?  

I think it's interesting that you don't want to play "what if" games but you are content to assume that Kobe would have been traded -- even though the Lakers stated clearly they would never trade him.

The one thing we DO know is that Shaq has let himself go for years -- ever since the first title -- that IS something we know -- I seriously doubt that trading Kobe and giving him the max of $22 mill would have changed that at all.  The fact is that Shaq and Kobe needed each other -- they just won't ever admit it!

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2005, 11:14:47 AM »
YOU talk about making assumptions -- IF Kobe had left and Shaq had decided to get into shape (to make a point), take a look at our line-up.  We would have, umm, Gary Payton (yeah, he did a great job last year, didn't he?) and Slava Medvendenko, Kareem Rush, Devean George, and Luke Walton -- you REALLY think Shaq would take that squad to a championship?  Shoot, the opposition would have quadruple teamed him and the Lakers would have been totally unable to stop them from doing so because of an inability to spread the floor.  The Lakers wouldn't have been able to sign any quality FA's because Shaq would have eaten up half of the salary cap ALL BY HIMSELF!!!  He wanted an extension in the $22 mill a year range -- doesn't leave much room to sign somebody who is going to help spread the floor, huh?  And look at that defensive team, boy that is going to scare teams, isn't it?  Again, Shaq needed Kobe as much as Kobe needed Shaq -- they are BOTH such punks they can't admit they need anyone!
Randy, if you want to play that "What if..." game, you should also play it out completely. I seriously doubt that Kobe would have been traded away for nothing. Let's not make out that the Laker management is completely idiotic, right? If they had kept Shaq, it is conceivable they would have gotten at least one good player in return to join Shaq and quite possibly get the Lakers in the playoffs.

Also, never patronize me like that again. To list out players who are not now on the team, nor unlikely to have stayed with the Lakers anyway (Payton, Rush), or  bench players, like Walton, to make your point is insulting and it weakens your arguement. If Bryant had been traded, there undoubtedly would have been at least one, viable starter in return, more likely two.

Use some damned logic!
Look what they got for Shaq

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2005, 12:01:49 PM »
What it tells me is that Shaq more likely was doing the rookie hazing ritual, conducted by every NBA team around. The Kings always give much grief to their rookies, as a way to indoctrinate them into the pros and making them belong. So don't tell me that Shaq's only thought was that  Kobe's media attention and status were being blown out of proportion on a kid who had not earned that right yet. He also would not have been the only Laker at the time who might have been bothered by that anyway. Knowing Kobe as we do now, he would not have thought he should be treated like any other rookie; being that he was Kobe Bryant.

Isolated, remember?? He has kept himself aloof from his teammates since then and has continued to this day. That has been his pattern. Yeah, being underaged at the time certainly would have played a factor in that. It should have been compensated for by Kobe working to be a part of the team in other ways.

But what does it have to do with the present? I mean, is he STILL underaged?

So telling me that Shaq despised him from the beginning, you have to do better then just saying Shaq hated Kobe for no other reason then the media attention he was getting. :laugh  There has to be something deeper then that, or Shaq would have hated everyone else in the NBA who has ever gotten a sports headline.  

Be serious.

About that learning curve regarding the triangle? Wasn't that a major problem regarding Kobe when Jackson coached the team, in that Kobe seemed at times to refuse to either learn it or work within its framework? Rewriting history again, there, westkoast?  As I recall, and I know you will correct me if I am wrong, wasn't a major complaint going around LA during the Laker's heyday, was about Kobe screwing up the offense at times by not playing the triangle when everyone else on the floor was? But once they bi**hslapped Kobe around the locker room a bit, he would comply, at least for a while, and the offense would run smoothly and fans like you would tout what a great team player Kobe was being. :laugh So excuse my logic in thinking there were a ton of good players in the NBA who would have jumped at the chance to be a "TEAM" player learning the triangle under Jackson who could have and would have done just as well or better , without the theatrics Bryant brought to the team.

It just seems to make sense to me that players who enjoy each other and the opportunity to play for a championship each year would gladly comply with a coach making it possible, instead of fighting against it all the time, which had been reported frequently about Kobe back then, and still today.

As for Kobe being the best option on those last second shots on your team? How the hell do you know if he is or not? When was the last Laker, other then Horry or Fisher, to dare attempt one when Bryant was on the court? That was a nice little swipe your current coach made recently regarding that missed last second shot Kobe took. Apparently, he had told Kobe to drive to the basket. Instead, he stopped and shot a jumper that missed. I saw that play on ESPN. The coach was correct in thinking the way to the basket was clear, so why did Bryant defy him?

And I will let you know if any of this is about how I feel regarding the Kings/Laker matchups. Westkoast, this is not the season to suggest a rivalry still exists between the Lakers and Kings. Vlade is now a Laker; Shaq is with Miami; and you might have missed it, but Kobe's current Laker team is only 1-1 versus the Kings this year, not 2-0. So until I actually mention I have all this jealous animosity built up, you can drop the references as not relevant. Until then, let's just assume it is about Kobe and the Lakers.

But to let you in on what I am thinking, it is this. Kobe has no right to be given a free ride on his problems, whether they are about his rape trial or his isolationism or his problems with coaching. If he is creating an aura of hostility within his team, he should be blamed for it, not complemented on being something of a stat hound, who runs the offense (so naturally will be getting plenty of those assists you are so proud of him getting). If the burden of playing in LA has become too much for him, let him try doing his thing elsewhere, away from the harsh media light available with the Lakers.

If his game is as great as you claim it is and he is so responsible for the success of the Lakers, let him achieve those goals elsewhere to confirm it. Because, and let me repeat for at least the fifth time, my point in all of this is that Kobe is hurting the Lakers in so many ways right now and into the foreseeable future, he and the team would both benefit by splitting up.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2005, 12:23:15 PM »
Umm, since I was directing my point to Reality, perhaps you could see that I wasn't actually "patronizing" you.

Reality was just continuing my earlier point regarding who the Lakers should have kept, so how is that not directed at me?

I have no comment on whether the Lakers would have kept Fisher or Rush or Payton at all. They are all pretty much irrelevant on any team they play for right now, though Payton can help any team that allows him to be helpful, which ruled out the Lakers.    

I think it's interesting that you don't want to play "what if" games but you are content to assume that Kobe would have been traded -- even though the Lakers stated clearly they would never trade him.

Noooooo, Randy, I am saying the Lakers SHOULD have traded Kobe instead, not would have. I am completely aware they committed to Kobe over Shaq. I mentioned that very thing in an earlier post. I also never said that I was not into playing the "What if" game. This is all about my playing the "What if" game.

Duh!!!!  :rolleyes:

What I am claiming is that I am playing this game with a more open mind then someone claiming that Shaq would have been leading a  Laker team with a disgruntled Payton (who would hardly be disgruntled removed from Bryant, don't you think?), Rush, Medva, Fisher and Walton, when we both know there could possibly be one or two other significant players brought to the Lakers in any trade made involving Kobe. The Laker management would not have let him walk, any more then they would let Shaq just walk.

This is the "reality", Randy. Kobe claims to make teammates better, but so far has failed to do so, while Shaq does not claim to make anyone better, but his teammates happen to benefit tremendously by having O'Neal as a teammate. It opens things up for them. So Rush, Walton, Medva......could they have been the Damon Jones',  Udonis Haslem's, or Eddie Jones this year instead?

We can't answer that, but I am sure those latter three would not want to participate in this game at all.  

The fact is that Shaq and Kobe needed each other -- they just won't ever admit it!

Shaq and Kobe did not need each other, they USED each other. Big difference.

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2005, 02:57:15 PM »
What it tells me is that Shaq more likely was doing the rookie hazing ritual, conducted by every NBA team around. The Kings always give much grief to their rookies, as a way to indoctrinate them into the pros and making them belong. So don't tell me that Shaq's only thought was that  Kobe's media attention and status were being blown out of proportion on a kid who had not earned that right yet. He also would not have been the only Laker at the time who might have been bothered by that anyway. Knowing Kobe as we do now, he would not have thought he should be treated like any other rookie; being that he was Kobe Bryant.

--LOL..I love people who make excuses for attention hogs.  Icing him out in practices, telling teammates bad things about him, etc is far from rookie hazing.  Rookie hazing is you carry my bags, you wash the jerseys, everyone skips out on a bill you have to pay.  This was something else...A+ for effort tho.  You tried to justify what Shaq was doing but not gonna happen.  You obviously dont know Shaq very well when it comes to people stealing his shine.  Ask Yao Ming about it.

Isolated, remember?? He has kept himself aloof from his teammates since then and has continued to this day. That has been his pattern. Yeah, being underaged at the time certainly would have played a factor in that. It should have been compensated for by Kobe working to be a part of the team in other ways.

--Yea of course he does...because thats what he is use to.  He played for years in the league this way.  Maybe going out to get drunk isnt his thing.  Ever think of that?  Kobe showing up to practice extra early, calling coaches and teammates in the off-season, and staying late in practice doesnt compensate for Kobe working to be apart of the team in other ways?

But what does it have to do with the present? I mean, is he STILL underaged?

--Imagine this JoMaL...someone so use to not going to strip clubs and going out to drink doesnt want to do that.

So telling me that Shaq despised him from the beginning, you have to do better then just saying Shaq hated Kobe for no other reason then the media attention he was getting. :laugh  There has to be something deeper then that, or Shaq would have hated everyone else in the NBA who has ever gotten a sports headline.  

--JoMaL...you live in Sac- town.  Ive live in LA or in OC my whole life.  Things ive seen, read, and heard are different than what you see, read, and hear.  Esp when it comes to the Lakers....that is LA's prized possesion.  Yao was getting alot of attention and Shaq took swipes at him.  Anyone else notice a patern or is JoMaL stealing Reality's lunch again?

About that learning curve regarding the triangle? Wasn't that a major problem regarding Kobe when Jackson coached the team, in that Kobe seemed at times to refuse to either learn it or work within its framework? Rewriting history again, there, westkoast?  As I recall, and I know you will correct me if I am wrong, wasn't a major complaint going around LA during the Laker's heyday, was about Kobe screwing up the offense at times by not playing the triangle when everyone else on the floor was? But once they bi**hslapped Kobe around the locker room a bit, he would comply, at least for a while, and the offense would run smoothly and fans like you would tout what a great team player Kobe was being. :laugh So excuse my logic in thinking there were a ton of good players in the NBA who would have jumped at the chance to be a "TEAM" player learning the triangle under Jackson who could have and would have done just as well or better , without the theatrics Bryant brought to the team.

--Uhh that was at the end of last season because the triangle was not working.  Good try again JoMaL.  Tex and Phil both said Kobe knew the triangle very well.  
Better than all the other players save a few.  And uhh no, you are making things up to help your point :rofl:  If Kobe didnt know the triangle then why did Phil put him in charge of the offense?

It just seems to make sense to me that players who enjoy each other and the opportunity to play for a championship each year would gladly comply with a coach making it possible, instead of fighting against it all the time, which had been reported frequently about Kobe back then, and still today.

--Did Phil Jackson not admit to riding Kobe hard in his book and blaming him for things he shouldnt be blamed for?  I believe he did.  He also commented on how good Kobe was.  

As for Kobe being the best option on those last second shots on your team? How the hell do you know if he is or not? When was the last Laker, other then Horry or Fisher, to dare attempt one when Bryant was on the court? That was a nice little swipe your current coach made recently regarding that missed last second shot Kobe took. Apparently, he had told Kobe to drive to the basket. Instead, he stopped and shot a jumper that missed. I saw that play on ESPN. The coach was correct in thinking the way to the basket was clear, so why did Bryant defy him?

--Wow.  Just wow JoMaL.  Did you know that Fish and Horry cannot create their own shot?  I guess Kobe NEVER passed the ball to Fish, Horry, or Fox for big shots.  Oh wait he did!  I do find it funny you comment so much on the Lakers but catch them only a few times a year.  Ive watched just about every game since I was a kid.  Again, you live in Sac-Town and I was born and raised in Southern California.  

I dunno JoMaL why did he?  Is it because he saw something in real time that made him change his mind.  You watched the replay :lol: ok...do you play basketball much? LOL

And I will let you know if any of this is about how I feel regarding the Kings/Laker matchups. Westkoast, this is not the season to suggest a rivalry still exists between the Lakers and Kings. Vlade is now a Laker; Shaq is with Miami; and you might have missed it, but Kobe's current Laker team is only 1-1 versus the Kings this year, not 2-0. So until I actually mention I have all this jealous animosity built up, you can drop the references as not relevant. Until then, let's just assume it is about Kobe and the Lakers.

--Obviously you do JoMaL and everyone else can see it.  Its just not me.  Yes the Lakers rivarly is over still doesnt take away the fact that the Lakers are the reason why you guys never won a championship or went to the finals.  All this talk about how poor the Lakers are and how they are rebuilding...what would you call Sac-Town?  A shell of their former self.  Much like the Lakers.

But to let you in on what I am thinking, it is this. Kobe has no right to be given a free ride on his problems, whether they are about his rape trial or his isolationism or his problems with coaching. If he is creating an aura of hostility within his team, he should be blamed for it, not complemented on being something of a stat hound, who runs the offense (so naturally will be getting plenty of those assists you are so proud of him getting). If the burden of playing in LA has become too much for him, let him try doing his thing elsewhere, away from the harsh media light available with the Lakers.

--Im so proud of him getting?  Again you make a comment and I respond.  Much like you talk about how much he ball hogs...so I point out his assists are up.  You say he never works with his team and I point out ball movement.  Im not happy and bragging...you say something and I reply.  What does his rape trial have to do with basketball?  Just curious....Also, who said the burden of playing in LA has become too much for him?  Is this more JoMaL insider info?

If his game is as great as you claim it is and he is so responsible for the success of the Lakers, let him achieve those goals elsewhere to confirm it. Because, and let me repeat for at least the fifth time, my point in all of this is that Kobe is hurting the Lakers in so many ways right now and into the foreseeable future, he and the team would both benefit by splitting up.

--He is?  Gosh I could have sworn it was a good number of things....you know like

Coach leaving mid-season
Change of offensive scheme
Wrong players to put together on a team
Team lacking size
poor bench

Kobe can improve also but obviously you have so much of a problem with him its all his fault