Author Topic: Uh oh....Duncan might be out for the playoffs too!  (Read 1828 times)

Offline NYCdog

• View Profile
    • Email
Uh oh....Duncan might be out for the playoffs too!
« on: March 27, 2005, 08:54:35 PM »
By Ron Tillery

March 27, 2005

Credible people close to the San Antonio Spurs believe that Tim Duncan's ankle injury is more serious than the team is reporting. Duncan, they say, will be out until next season.

Memphis Commercial Appeal

And here in my neck of the woods.....the New York Daily News woke us up to this in the morning back pages.....

Tim & none

That's what Spurs' chances for title are if Duncan's out

From Seattle to Phoenix to Dallas, and in every Western Conference playoff town in between, team executives, players and coaches are on a Tim Duncan watch.

A week ago, Duncan severely sprained his right ankle and could be out for the rest of the regular season with ligament damage that may not fully heal until next season. His status for the playoffs, and how effective he can be in the postseason, is the most significant development in the West since the Lakers broke up their mini-dynasty last summer by trading Shaquille O'Neal to the Heat.

"The entire West changed dramatically with Shaq leaving the Lakers," said Seattle GM Rick Sund this past week. "If Duncan is not 100% when the playoffs start, it changes things in our conference in a big way. I've always felt that Phoenix was the best team out here, anyway, even before Duncan went down. But he is the most dominant player in the West . . . If he's not his normal self for the playoffs, then that gives everybody a legitimate shot to get to the Finals."

The loss of Duncan could be a huge break for the Sonics, who could finish with the No. 2 seed, even with Vladimir Radmanovic, their third-most important player, out for the rest of the regular season with a leg injury.

But the biggest winner could be Phoenix, which is looking at its first No. 1 seed since posting the best record overall in 1993. That would cap a remarkable turnaround. The Suns finished in the lottery last season after winning only 29 games.

"Tim is an obvious impact player and his absence could certainly affect the Western Conference playoff picture," said Bryan Colangelo, the Suns' GM. "The No. 1 seed has been our goal all along, and we have competed neck-and-neck with the Spurs all season. What we need to worry about, however, is that we stay sharp and focused and compete each night as if nothing has changed."

There hasn't been a Western Conference champion outside of the Lakers or San Antonio since Utah won the conference in 1998. Since then, the Lakers and Spurs have won five of the last six NBA championships, with Detroit finally ending the West's domination last June.

"I can't worry about how this will impact us for the playoffs, because I really don't know at this time," said Spurs executive VP-coach Gregg Popovich. "Tim's disappointed because he was starting to get on his roll. But he knows that is over with and he's got to start over. So he's got to start to change gears and has gotten into rehab mode."

The West could well come down to how Duncan's recovery goes between now and the start of the playoffs on April 23.

"The Spurs are one of the few exceptions in that if they have Duncan, it doesn't matter if they have the homecourt advantage," said Boston coach Doc Rivers. "They've got veterans, they've been together and they've won. But without Duncan, you might see a team like Houston go to the Finals. They've got two stars - Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming, one inside and one outside - and a ton of veterans who can shoot. I wouldn't be shocked to see them go far. Because without Duncan, the West now is actually a small conference and a speed conference."

And suddenly, a conference up for grabs.

Offline NYCdog

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 09:14:20 PM »
One more thing.....I found this part to be interesting....

But without Duncan, you might see a team like Houston go to the Finals.

....Particularly because Houston is my dark horse. I went as far as to wager on them to win it all in Vegas in the beginning of the year. I knew they were in it to win it the moment the made the McGrady deal. And despite the slow start, they made deals to better the team and get rid of wasted salary cap space (See Mo Taylor...fuckin stupid-a$s Isiah  :nonono: ). Now I believe they do indeed have what it takes to go all they way. Defensive intensity will always be a staple of the Rockets play becuase of a certain glum-faced nerd roaming the sidelines, ready to chew your head off. And now this team has the offensive weapons in Sura, James, Barry, and Wesley to surround the 1-2 of T-mac and Yao.

Even though they didnt show up today against SA, one cant ignore the 20 point ass-whoopin they gave Phoenix (healthy...that is) before there bewildered sun-baked fans at AWA. Nor can you ignore what they have done recently to Seattle, Miami, Dallas, and Sacramento.

I think the only thing stopping this team is not having a healthy Juwan Howard....(Icant believe I just said that). But its ture....he rebounds on the defensive end and when his shots are actulally falling, which happens to be more often now, his presence stretches the defense to play man to man. This was why Houston has gotten so red hot. And I feel this is why they've cooled off lately.  

However, come playoff time, I still feel my Vegas bet will finally payoff for once....(and its about freakin time)

Why?

Cause come playoff time, T-Mac will come up huge....just so he can "stick it" to his former boss in Orlando, GM John Wesibrod. Add a hungry-to-win superstar to this equation and you have a contender. Want examples.....see KG of last year, hugnry to get out of the first round and finally make a playoff run.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 09:22:09 PM »
Quote from: NYCdog,Mar 28 2005, 01:54 AM
Credible people close to the San Antonio Spurs believe that Tim Duncan's ankle injury is more serious than the team is reporting. Duncan, they say, will be out until next season.

A week ago, Duncan severely sprained his right ankle and could be out for the rest of the regular season with ligament damage that may not fully heal until next season. [/QUOTE]
Noooooooooooooooooo!
(Seymore Skinner style)

The Miami Heat are on crack for playing Shraq and DWade vs the Bobcats, the night after they pounded Phx.  It showed, esp with Wade.  Will the NBA never learn.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 09:43:10 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 11:58:53 PM »
Congradulations to Shaq, Wade, and the rest of the Miami Heat for winning the 2005 championship
« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 11:59:28 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 12:40:52 AM »
By Ron Tillery

March 27, 2005

Memphis Commercial Appeal

And here in my neck of the woods.....the New York Daily News woke us up to this in the morning back pages.....

Tim & none

That's what Spurs' chances for title are if Duncan's out

From Seattle to Phoenix to Dallas, and in every Western Conference playoff town in between, team executives, players and coaches are on a Tim Duncan watch.

A week ago, Duncan severely sprained his right ankle and could be out for the rest of the regular season with ligament damage that may not fully heal until next season. His status for the playoffs, and how effective he can be in the postseason, is the most significant development in the West since the Lakers broke up their mini-dynasty last summer by trading Shaquille O'Neal to the Heat.

"The entire West changed dramatically with Shaq leaving the Lakers," said Seattle GM Rick Sund this past week. "If Duncan is not 100% when the playoffs start, it changes things in our conference in a big way. I've always felt that Phoenix was the best team out here, anyway, even before Duncan went down. But he is the most dominant player in the West . . . If he's not his normal self for the playoffs, then that gives everybody a legitimate shot to get to the Finals."

The loss of Duncan could be a huge break for the Sonics, who could finish with the No. 2 seed, even with Vladimir Radmanovic, their third-most important player, out for the rest of the regular season with a leg injury.

But the biggest winner could be Phoenix, which is looking at its first No. 1 seed since posting the best record overall in 1993. That would cap a remarkable turnaround. The Suns finished in the lottery last season after winning only 29 games.

"Tim is an obvious impact player and his absence could certainly affect the Western Conference playoff picture," said Bryan Colangelo, the Suns' GM. "The No. 1 seed has been our goal all along, and we have competed neck-and-neck with the Spurs all season. What we need to worry about, however, is that we stay sharp and focused and compete each night as if nothing has changed."

There hasn't been a Western Conference champion outside of the Lakers or San Antonio since Utah won the conference in 1998. Since then, the Lakers and Spurs have won five of the last six NBA championships, with Detroit finally ending the West's domination last June.

"I can't worry about how this will impact us for the playoffs, because I really don't know at this time," said Spurs executive VP-coach Gregg Popovich. "Tim's disappointed because he was starting to get on his roll. But he knows that is over with and he's got to start over. So he's got to start to change gears and has gotten into rehab mode."

The West could well come down to how Duncan's recovery goes between now and the start of the playoffs on April 23.

"The Spurs are one of the few exceptions in that if they have Duncan, it doesn't matter if they have the homecourt advantage," said Boston coach Doc Rivers. "They've got veterans, they've been together and they've won. But without Duncan, you might see a team like Houston go to the Finals. They've got two stars - Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming, one inside and one outside - and a ton of veterans who can shoot. I wouldn't be shocked to see them go far. Because without Duncan, the West now is actually a small conference and a speed conference."

And suddenly, a conference up for grabs.
I would probably believe that if Tim was NOT able to stand on his own without the use of a cruch.  he is able to stand on it and walk on it, which is a good sign.  devon brown IMHO has more chance of missing the playoffs with his irration in his lower discs in his back.  Tim will sit the rest of the season and maybe a game or two in the playoffs -(which I dont see at this point - and i hope it stays that way) but he will be on the playoff roster, and come back to play.  I dont see Tim missing out of the playoffs this year.  I think this is more HOPE on the part of every other team out there that thinks this will give thema real chance to win, it comes down tow just a few teams as it is.  SA, Phoenix,Miami,and detroit.  even with a healthy tim, phoenix has the ability to beat us as does miami as does detroit.. outside of that, I think every other teams chance at winning is a pipe dream at this point.  but hey, to think that because OUR star player is injured it stirs this much drama in the ENTIRE league is freaking amazing.  I mean LA has won more titles  than we have in the past few years, but THIS, all this stuff about "tims down!  we gotta chance now!!"  thats like if jordan, in the buls reign, went down how other teams would react.  that's insane!  I am just saying that Tim, I believe will ba back, you can see him jump up during the games when one of our guys does some nice play (like Manu's dunk, barry 3 point to tie the game, etc...)  there is still plenty of time for him to heal up and decide for himself if he will pay or not.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 08:58:27 AM »
like i said, the report is mostly HOPE by other teams...lol.

Duncan Return Targeted
Wire and Staff Reports
Monday, March 28, 2005

A report in Monday's edititons of the San Antonio Express-News indicates that the Spurs are aiming to get Tim Duncan back for the final week of the regular season.

Duncan, the Spurs' leading scorer, rebounder and shot blocker, crumpled to the floor after coming down on Rasheed Wallace's foot in the opening minutes of the 110-101 loss to Detroit two Sunday's ago.

San Antonio placed the two-time MVP on the injured list the following day, saying he could miss as many as four weeks. Management said that a worst-case scenario involved Duncan missing 12 of the Spurs' final 14 games.

"He feels a little less pain every day and he walks a little bit straighter every day," coach Gregg Popovich told the Express-News. "But he's still a ways out."

According to the report, Duncan is walking with a slight limp, but is expected to begin doing some light treadmill work this week.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 09:45:07 PM »
I don't believe for a moment Duncan won't be back for the playoffs, I too believe this to be fantasizing by teams whos only chance is if the Spurs are Duncanless in the playoffs. And I COMPLETELY disagree with Seattle GM Rick Sund that Phoenix is the better team of the 2, hogwash!!!! Grnated, Phoenix is a great little team but no way they are better over 7 games than the Spurs!!

The one point here that can be made, and I think it is funny how certain fans  seem to be OK with it when it comes to San Antonio, is that Duncan going down appears to make them rather one-dimensional, when LA lost Shaq everybody pointed out how truly one-dimensional they were but San Antonio doesn't get the same knock. I daresay the same point would be made and dismissed if Nash went down in Phoenix, just an observation.

And really boys and girls, Duncan or not, does anyone here want to be foolish and overlook what the Heat are doing? This team is a serious, VERY SERIOUS, threat to walk away with it all. The big "It's all about me" is bent on proving to Kobe and Jerry Buss that it was his team all along and if he gets to the Finals, I doubt even a Spurs team firing on all 8 cylinders can stop these boys, the only WC team they have struggled against is Seattle and they've split with both the Suns and the Spurs, so with or without Duncan, the title is not the Spurs to lose, I think they are hands down the best team in the Western Conference, but finally there is a team out of the East that can rise to the challenge, and that team is Miami, Pat Riley's genius once again is a factor in the NBA.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 09:45:38 PM by Laker Fan »
Dan

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 10:33:42 PM »
I don't believe for a moment Duncan won't be back for the playoffs, I too believe this to be fantasizing by teams whos only chance is if the Spurs are Duncanless in the playoffs. And I COMPLETELY disagree with Seattle GM Rick Sund that Phoenix is the better team of the 2, hogwash!!!! Grnated, Phoenix is a great little team but no way they are better over 7 games than the Spurs!!

The one point here that can be made, and I think it is funny how certain fans  seem to be OK with it when it comes to San Antonio, is that Duncan going down appears to make them rather one-dimensional, when LA lost Shaq everybody pointed out how truly one-dimensional they were but San Antonio doesn't get the same knock. I daresay the same point would be made and dismissed if Nash went down in Phoenix, just an observation.

And really boys and girls, Duncan or not, does anyone here want to be foolish and overlook what the Heat are doing? This team is a serious, VERY SERIOUS, threat to walk away with it all. The big "It's all about me" is bent on proving to Kobe and Jerry Buss that it was his team all along and if he gets to the Finals, I doubt even a Spurs team firing on all 8 cylinders can stop these boys, the only WC team they have struggled against is Seattle and they've split with both the Suns and the Spurs, so with or without Duncan, the title is not the Spurs to lose, I think they are hands down the best team in the Western Conference, but finally there is a team out of the East that can rise to the challenge, and that team is Miami, Pat Riley's genius once again is a factor in the NBA.
I have to agree with that LF.  Miami DOES look scary, I see SA vs MIAMI in the finals...at that point, its a toss up.