Author Topic: Home court  (Read 1862 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Home court
« on: March 24, 2005, 11:33:10 AM »
Since the demise of the Lakers I was certain the Spurs would roll to another title.  I don't expect Detriot to get lucky two years in a row with their opponents having key injuries come playoff time so I didn't expect Detriot to be a factor.  Figured it would be Indy comming out of the east.  Things sure have changed.  Miami is now the Beast from the East, Indy is done for the this year and Detriot is not gelling.

I expect Miami to rep the east at this point barring any key injuries to Shaq or Wade.

The West has been pretty dramatic.  I expect Miny and SA to face off in the West with the Spurs pulling it out and going all the way.  So far Miny will not even contend and Dallas and Sactown are doing their usual bridesmaid but never the bride act again.  The surprise have been the Suns, don't expect flukes like Seattle to do anything in the playoffs.  The Suns represent the only real obstacle to the Spurs in the West.  I figured the Spurs to get by the Suns in a seven game series.  The only way I can see the Suns beating the Spurs in a seven game series is if the Suns have homecourt.  Looks like that might be the case wether or not TD had gone down for the remainder of the season.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this season and I'm rooting for the Big Daddy to bring one home for Miami.  Can't beleive he's not a Laker, I miss that big ANIMAL in the Purple and Gold.

"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Home court
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 11:51:31 AM »
I expect Miami to rep the east at this point barring any key injuries to Shaq or Wade.

On that front, and maybe this could be another thread, why is it that teams insist on playing their mealticket players (Shaq, Dunker) 40 minutes per game for almost the entire season.

What would be so bad, would it rather be a good smart prudent thing, to rest your Shraq/Dunker types for a game or two MANY times during the season.  Or like now three.  Or 4.  Or chop him down to 20 minutes a game for a while.  Sprained ankles can definitely linger.  Just because Duncan could play, does not mean he should have played.  I feel the same way with Shraq, esp now with Miami having 1st basically locked up.  Even Wade, so he is only 23 or so.  Big deal.  Rest him up a bit for the playoffs.

Noneother then Tragic Johnson himself when a discussion was had on how it's really only the last part of the 4th qtr of many reg season games that the players go all out.  The 82 game season could be 50-55.  He said absolutely, you cant bust for all 82.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 12:19:07 PM by Reality »

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Home court
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 11:54:16 AM »
If Shaq leads the Heat to a title, it will cement  the Big Bazooka's place in NBA lore, and ensure his position as the most dominant player of his era, like that was even in question.

After watching him play over the years, I have noticed a particular phenomenon occur with any opponents to the teams he plays on. They look less sure of themselves running their offenses. Shots they normally make against lesser teams are just a bit off. They can't quite finish their drives in the lane. They will think twice about passing the ball into the middle. It is just enough to give Shaq's team an overwhelming confidence in doing their own thing.

Over the course of a season and especially into the playoffs, what is surprising is when an opponent like the Pistons last year can impose their own will against a Shaq-led team. He really is the most dominant player in the game today.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Home court
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 12:00:49 PM »
If Shaq leads the Heat to a title, it will cement  the Big Bazooka's place in NBA lore, and ensure his position as the most dominant player of his era, like that was even in question.

Over the course of a season and especially into the playoffs, what is surprising is when an opponent like the Pistons last year can impose their own will against a Shaq-led team. He really is the most dominant player in the game today.
How about in '03 when the Spurs and Dunker took him out?

To me if Duncan and the Spurs can overcome Popavitch and title again it hardly makes Shraq the most Dominant of era "without question".  Especially if the Spurs beat Shraq and the Heat to win it!  Some could then pick Shaq, some Dunkan but its not a lock either way.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 12:18:00 PM by Reality »

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Home court
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 12:21:51 PM »
If Shaq leads the Heat to a title, it will cement  the Big Bazooka's place in NBA lore, and ensure his position as the most dominant player of his era, like that was even in question.

How about in '03 when the Spurs and Dunker took him out?

To me if Duncan and the Spurs can overcome Popavitch and title again it hardly makes Shraq the most Dominant of era "without question".  Some can pick Shaq, some Dunkan but its not a lock either way.
I can't put TD in Shaq's "dominant" league yet.  TD to Shaq is more like Kareem was to Wilt IMO.  In 03 Shaq was at his fattest yet offensively he killed TD, I think TD being the MVP that year put a little extra fire in Shaq's big belly in 03.

Let's see how TD does vs Shaq now that Big Dave is not around to take the lumps.  You can't call TD dominant when he doesn't even gaurd Shaq, when Kareem and Wilt battled they went at each other.  TD is one of the best, if not the best, defender against Shaq but you can't put TD on Shaq for a whole game because Shaq is too dominant and Shaq loves nothing better than to guard TD when the game is on the line.  Some of that is Pop's fault but a dominant player will impose his will.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Home court
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 12:29:16 PM »
Duncan doesnt have the size and strength to be considered more dominat than Shaq.  I think we all see really how good Shaq is when the guy really puts his mind to it.  When the Big Fella has something to prove he is a force and a half.  That teamed up with the fact that Wade is killing the perimeter.  IMO I dont think Shaq would be doing as well if Wade wasnt just abusing perimeter defenders each and every night.

There is no way the Suns beat the Spurs in a 7 game series with TD on the court.  Home court or not.  The Suns can get away with the run and gun style during the regular season but as the fouls get harder and the game slows down in the playoffs they wont be able to get over the top.  Nash in the open court is deadly, Amare running the floor is deadly, Marion running the floor is deadly.  Put those 3 guys in a game that is 90% half court sets and you will see a much different team.  Amare is going to really get some playoff expierence under his belt being guarded by Timmy during the series.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Home court
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 12:33:48 PM »
My point is, Shaq would be leading two completely different teams with different coaching philosophies, to become champions.

Duncan, for one, certainly cannot claim to have done that.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 12:34:02 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Home court
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 12:35:30 PM »
My point is, Shaq would be leading two completely different teams with different coaching philosophies, to become champions.

Duncan, for one, certainly cannot claim to have done that.
Very good point.  The Heat would be the 3rd team he could possibly take to the finals tho!

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Home court
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 04:25:23 PM »

Let's see how TD does vs Shaq now that Big Dave is not around to take the lumps.  You can't call TD dominant when he doesn't even gaurd Shaq, when Kareem and Wilt battled they went at each other.
I've followed this closely for years.  Dunker has stood up at center and played Shaq, and that includes the year you would call Milk Money and i would call Shamefest.  The 4-0 skunking or 4-1 beatdown of the QuitSpurs.  Dunker laid a 38 and 15 on Shraq when Dave was out of the entire game.

Last years .4 win kept Duncan from moving up.  I'm sure you would agree that had Dunker won that series thus ousted Shraq 2 years in a row it would have tilted the scales even more.  He didn't.  Maybe Detroit would have pounded the Spurs also.  Its over.  Shaq over Duncan last year.  

To the point I say that's why if Dunker and Shraq can meet in the finals, should Dunkan prevail you Krishnas are gonna have to start breathing TD in the same breath as Shraq, careerwise.  To me 3 titles spread out over 8 years with an Offensive offensive coach is (will be) impressive.

No comments on the injury/rest factor ?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 04:26:45 PM by Reality »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Home court
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 04:33:39 PM »
WOW - I feel that shaq and the Heat can actually beat us in a short series.  so I am not looking forward to meeting them to be honest.  thats if we make it at all.  you see I dont see the biggest challenge as being the suns, yes they have the beast record now, but the playoffs is about matchups, and seattle is the one that screws us over because of fortson in the middle and allen not being so limited by bowen now.  the suns are more even to us as they have a great PF, in amare, and a great PG in nash, which get countered out by Tim and Parker.  we have deon well against them this season.  the one loss was without TWO starters and the suns had to really work to beat our bench.  so we will see.  first and fore most the spurs need to grow up and step up, this is the first time all season they have lost 3 in a row - but you can see it in thier demeanor, they need to step up and play ball, not hide because Tim is on IL.  I am pretty ticked at them right now, I dont expect to get the best record now, but I do expect them to play real ball.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

rickortreat

Home court
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2005, 04:56:29 PM »
Resting players.

The objective is to win a championship, not get the best regular season record.  If you're happy playing on the road, your record matters very little.

Home court advantage seems to be a big factor in the NBA.  Typically the better teams are the ones playing the best ball at the end of the year, when teams are fighting for playoff spots.  

Few teams have the luxury of resting their star players, for fear of loosing their seedings and their continuity of play.  IMO, if you CAN afford to rest them, you should.

If I was Miami, I'd rest Shaq, even if it meant loosing some games.  As long as he's in shape and playing sharp, I'd even cut down on his minutes.  What was the point of getting Alonzo, if you're not going to play him?

The only times I'd insist on Shaq being in there, is when the Heat are playing a team they'll be meeting down the road.  Those teams get the full treatment- you want them to believe that if they get you in the postseason, you're going down.

That was what O'Brien said during last night's game with Detroit.  That was why he didn't pull A.I. when it was clear the game was over.  He wanted Detroit to remember this game, and worry that they couldn't beat Philly in a series.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Home court
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2005, 05:05:40 PM »
Resting players.

The objective is to win a championship, not get the best regular season record.  If you're happy playing on the road, your record matters very little.

Home court advantage seems to be a big factor in the NBA.  Typically the better teams are the ones playing the best ball at the end of the year, when teams are fighting for playoff spots. 

Few teams have the luxury of resting their star players, for fear of loosing their seedings and their continuity of play.  IMO, if you CAN afford to rest them, you should.

Exactly.  Whats the point of chasing the best record if it's simply going to result in your best player(s) getting hurt and essentially ending your playoffs?  The Heat are up 9 games.  Rest Shraq!  :up:

I'd like to see the stats on where NBA champs finished in the reg season.

Also how many times what all appearances of becoming the eventual champ (subjective i know) were derailed by injury?  Just a for instance, Tim Dunker and Shaun Elliot going down in 2000.   For you old schoolers Corny Maxwell going down in 1985.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2005, 07:04:43 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Home court
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 05:46:31 PM »
Resting players.

The objective is to win a championship, not get the best regular season record.  If you're happy playing on the road, your record matters very little.

Home court advantage seems to be a big factor in the NBA.  Typically the better teams are the ones playing the best ball at the end of the year, when teams are fighting for playoff spots. 

Few teams have the luxury of resting their star players, for fear of loosing their seedings and their continuity of play.  IMO, if you CAN afford to rest them, you should.

Exactly.  Whats the point of chasing the best record if it's simply going to result in your best player(s) getting hurt and essentially ending your playoffs?  The Heat are up 9 games.  Rest Shraq!  :up:

I'd like to see the stats on where NBA champs finished in the reg season.

Also how many times what all appearances of becoming the eventual champ (subjective i know) were derailed by injury?  Just a for instance, Tim Dunker and Shaun Elliot going down in 2000.   For you old schoolers Corny Maxwell going down in 1985.
They dont rest players for a simple reason....they dont want their team to get out of what has been successfull for them.  If they are playing well and its the last stretch of the season they (the coaches) want the team together to make sure everything is running smoothly.  Make sure they are sticking to exactly what works for them and things of that nature.

Pop is not happy right now I can tell you that.  They were playing great team ball for most of the season and now the team has to switch up what they were doing for 4 weeks until Duncan gets back.  Only to turn around and switch up what they were doing while he was gone.