Author Topic: Other disgusting/vile acts by mascots  (Read 1267 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Other disgusting/vile acts by mascots
« on: March 18, 2005, 09:42:05 AM »
All-Time Best: mascot altercations
Web Posted: 03/18/2005 12:00 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

The Spurs' Coyote isn't the only sports mascot to be involved in a memorable altercation. Here are some others through the years:

April 1974: After Chicago coach Dick Motta is ejected, Benny the Bull makes gestures behind referee Earl Strom's back, riling up the crowd. Strom to Bull: "If you feel so damn strong about it, why don't you join Dick Motta in the locker room?"

April 1996: At the NCAA women's basketball championship, Tennessee's Smokey is booted after ripping up a toy Georgia Bulldog, sending stuffing onto the court. It took a cleaning crew 15 minutes to sweep up the mess, delaying tipoff. "I'm very ashamed," the mascot, Tim Patnode, said. "I've been ejected from a volleyball game before but never a basketball game."

Aug. 1998: Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda exchanges fisticuffs with the Philly Phanatic after it does a routine using a Lasorda doll as a punching bag.

Feb. 2001: North Carolina's Ram is tossed for pretending like he was going to kick a ref. "I might have to give him a raise," jokes North Carolina basketball coach Matt Doherty.

Dec. 2001: Temple's Hooter the Owl is ejected at a basketball game for gesturing at the referee following a technical foul. Coach John Chaney said Hooter's actions were out of character: "Usually our mascot is soft."

Jan. 2003: Edmonton coach Craig MacTavish rips out Harvey the Hound's tongue and throws it into the crowd after the mascot pesters his team. "(Harvey) was in a place he shouldn't have been," a Calgary spokesman said.

March 2003: Utah's Swoop accidentally rips off the Oregon mascot's head during a men's basketball game. They later make peace, hugging at center court to a standing ovation.

July 2003: Pittsburgh's Randall Simon becomes Public Enemy No. 1 in Bratwurst nation when he strikes one of Milwaukee's sausage-race mascots with a bat as it rounds third base.

Jan. 2004: UTEP's Burrito Bomber slaps a ref on the backside — twice. "You can't touch the officials," UTEP AD Bob Stull said. "And you especially can't swat him on the rear end as hard as you can ... twice."

Feb. 2004: It takes five shots with a stun gun to bring down a fan who puts Orlando's Stuff the Magic Dragon in a headlock. The dragon had hit a woman in the stands with its tail by accident.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 10:31:05 AM »
His mascot name is really STUFF the magic dragon?  Maybe he should get his real name back and be traded to Portland for their mascot.  Puff the magic dragon sounds much more believable as a Blazers mascot.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 12:06:48 PM »
About 10 or 15 years ago, the San Francisco Giants tried to get on the mascot bandwagon with a guy dressed up as a  (I kid you not) dungeness crab. He was essentially treated by the SF Candlestick Park crowd like he had the plague. Spit on, thrown at, and insulted at every turn, he would be seen in the stands, sitting forlornly in an empty section with nary a soul near him, as they would all get up and leave.

They finally fired the guy after bat day at the park. I don't think I need to add the gory details.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 12:15:26 PM »
I thought this was a joke but here it is, JoMal - this has to top all of them!!  LMAO!

notice, Doba was even tackeled by a Padres player and later sued for injuries!! ROTFLMAO!!! :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

1984: Love that Crazy Crab

The '70s may have brought us bell bottoms and disco, but they also saw the beginnings of the mascot craze in professional baseball. In 1984, the Giants decided to try their hand at the mascot game, but with their own special twist: They created an "anti-mascot."

The creature they unleashed was the now-legendary (and infamous) Crazy Crab. The idea was to poke fun at traditional mascots, and television commercials depicted manager Frank Robinson having to be restrained from attacking the poor crustacean. Fans were encouraged to boo and hiss the phony mascot, who was portrayed by actor Wayne Doba.

The prodding worked all too well. With a 96-loss season soothing no souls, Crazy Crab became the object of hatred and abuse. The crowd would hurl all sorts of things at the beast, both verbally and literally, and even players got into the act, dumping drinks and other things into the suit.

Broadcasters Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper, both players during the year of Crazy Crab, were asked in an online chat if they ever had trouble with him. Their response: "No, we used to drill him with the resin bag daily, so he was scared of us."

Catcher Steve Nicosia once donned the suit while he trashed the volatile Jeffrey Leonard's locker. While playing the Crab, Doba was even tackled by a San Diego Padres player and ended up filing a lawsuit against the team for back injuries.

On the final day of the 1984 season, as he stood on the field in the suit before the game, Doba reportedly told a Giants executive, "I hope there's nobody up there with a gun."

The nightmare for the bug-eyed object of foam derision ended after just one season. The Giants would not attempt another mascot, "anti" or real, until 1997, when Lou Seal made his cautious debut. But no mascot will likely ever again as sharply define the term "love-hate" as the vaunted Crazy Crab.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.