Author Topic: NBA first?  (Read 2041 times)

Guest_spursfan101

NBA first?
« on: March 17, 2005, 12:45:07 AM »
Not  sure if it made the national news, but Referee Jess Kersey angrily ejected The Coyote, San Antonio's mascot, in the third quarter for being on the court during play.

:rambo:

Wish I had video of it, wonder if this is the first time an official has had to do this :crazy:  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA first?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 12:51:50 AM »
I noticed earlier in the game the dumbarse would be on the floor during play.  Wondered how long that would last.

How is the longtime Coyote who became ill last year?  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA first?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 08:46:44 AM »
Spurs notebook: Official doesn't feel any love for Coyote
Web Posted: 03/17/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

The Coyote, the Spurs' furry and supposedly lovable mascot, was ejected after Wednesday's third quarter.

"That," Tim Duncan said, "is the greatest thing I've ever heard."

After Wally Szczerbiak cracked Spurs guard Beno Udrih with a hard foul at the Spurs' basket, the Coyote pretended like he was going to run at the Minnesota guard. It was a skit the mascot has used frequently, but one veteran official Jess Kersey apparently didn't find too funny.

Kersey, who didn't like how close the Coyote was to the court, walked over to the scorer's table and told Don Costante, the team's director of game operations and promotions he was ejecting the mascot.

"I want the wolf out of here!" Kersey said. "He's gone! Now!"

The Coyote never returned.

It's unclear whether the Coyote will be subjected to the $1,000 fine, or whether he even has a bank account.

"You can't get mad at the Coyote for doing that," Spurs forward Robert Horry said. "He was just trying to get the crowd hyped.

"That was another bad call."

Overheard: In light of Latrell Sprewell's "I need to feed my family" comments early this season, one Spurs fan apparently thinks the Minnesota forward is trying to supplement his $14.6 million salary.

After Spurs coach Gregg Popovich hugged Sprewell at midcourt in the second quarter, a fan seated behind the scorer's table yelled, "Hey Pop, check for your wallet!"

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA first?
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 08:49:42 AM »
Not  sure if it made the national news, but Referee Jess Kersey angrily ejected The Coyote, San Antonio's mascot, in the third quarter for being on the court during play.

:rambo:

Wish I had video of it, wonder if this is the first time an official has had to do this :crazy:
There is supposedly video of the ejection, the coyote being on the court is not big deal, thats EVERY game, he IS part of the team and not interfering in game play - thats every mascot in the league.  This ref just jumped the gun because apperantly they felt the mascot would start a freaking roit by taking on Wally.... :crazy:

just wait until they eject the entire arena for being to biased for the home team.... :rofl:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
NBA first?
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 12:05:42 PM »
From what I have heard from Grant Napear, the King's TV play-by-play announcer and drive home sports talking head,  Jess Kersey is one referee you just don't mess with, no matter who you are. Very defensive guy. Isn't he the same ref who T-d up Rasheed Wallace a few years back because he was "anticipating" that Wallace was going to say something after a play? Wallace was walking away from him at the time.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA first?
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 02:34:33 PM »
I'm still fuming that he called the Coyote a Wolf....

:nonono:  :nonono:  :nonono:  :bs:  

jn

NBA first?
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 03:03:30 PM »
"I'm still fuming that he called the Coyote a Wolf...."

Exactly.  Crunch the Timberwolf would never run out on the court after an opposing player.  Receiving sexual favors from a female fan in a Target Center bathroom while wearing the wolf costume yes, but menacing another player, no.  

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA first?
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 03:25:24 PM »
"I'm still fuming that he called the Coyote a Wolf...."

Exactly.  Crunch the Timberwolf would never run out on the court after an opposing player.  Receiving sexual favors from a female fan in a Target Center bathroom while wearing the wolf costume yes, but menacing another player, no.
Stupid Sexy Crunch and his sexy groupies!!

:moon:  

jn

NBA first?
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 03:51:42 PM »
P.S.

I'd offer you congrats on the win but really, did anyone think it would turn out otherwise?  This was the first time in years where I have made no effort to watch a Spurs/Wolves matchup.  After playing Dallas the night before there was the Wolves could stay close.  

Guest_Randy

NBA first?
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 06:39:55 PM »
I'm having a hard time believing that you Spur fans are supporting a mascot running onto the floor at a player during a game.  Where I come from, they would have done the right thing and shot that fool creature!!!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA first?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 07:08:41 PM »
I'm having a hard time believing that you Spur fans are supporting a mascot running onto the floor at a player during a game.  Where I come from, they would have done the right thing and shot that fool creature!!!
Speaking of mascots.....when will the Lakers put ole Jack in rehab...?   :rofl:  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
NBA first?
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 07:54:44 PM »
>Speaking of mascots.....when will the Lakers put ole Jack in rehab...?

Oh if only that were true.
Seeing Nicholson get pelted with rubber bullets when he goes on to the court.
Priceless.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
NBA first?
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 12:57:56 AM »
From what I have heard from Grant Napear, the King's TV play-by-play announcer and drive home sports talking head,  Jess Kersey is one referee you just don't mess with, no matter who you are. Very defensive guy. Isn't he the same ref who T-d up Rasheed Wallace a few years back because he was "anticipating" that Wallace was going to say something after a play? Wallace was walking away from him at the time.
Actually it was Ronnie Garretson that T'd Sheed for trying to intimidate him by looking at him.  If that is what you are referring to.

Also the Blazers radio color guy Mike Rice was tossed by Steve Javie, for throwing his arms up in disgust over a Javie call.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Guest_Randy

NBA first?
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 10:56:42 AM »
From what I have heard from Grant Napear, the King's TV play-by-play announcer and drive home sports talking head,  Jess Kersey is one referee you just don't mess with, no matter who you are. Very defensive guy. Isn't he the same ref who T-d up Rasheed Wallace a few years back because he was "anticipating" that Wallace was going to say something after a play? Wallace was walking away from him at the time.
Actually it was Ronnie Garretson that T'd Sheed for trying to intimidate him by looking at him.  If that is what you are referring to.

Also the Blazers radio color guy Mike Rice was tossed by Steve Javie, for throwing his arms up in disgust over a Javie call.
Please, Sheed was stalking Garretson around the floor "staring" at him -- one of the most childish displays that we have ever seen on the court.  And lets not forget that Garretson went over to Portland's coach (Adelmann at the time, I believe) and specifically TOLD him to get his player under control and to stop him from trying to "intimidate" him.  

Also, let's remember that both Malone and GP have both been called for this same type of staring -- GP has had it called on him twice.  Malone is probably the best (or worse depending on your view) in the business when it came to intimidating refs with his stare.  He got away with it -- Sheed never did.

Is anyone else amazed at how much more "under control" that Sheed is in Detroit than he was in Portland?  Is that Brown?  Big Ben?  Wonder what made the difference?  Maybe it was just getting away from the Blazer's water!

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
NBA first?
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 11:58:08 AM »
From what I have heard from Grant Napear, the King's TV play-by-play announcer and drive home sports talking head,  Jess Kersey is one referee you just don't mess with, no matter who you are. Very defensive guy. Isn't he the same ref who T-d up Rasheed Wallace a few years back because he was "anticipating" that Wallace was going to say something after a play? Wallace was walking away from him at the time.

What I recall is a game several years ago where Wallace got called for an offensive foul, turned his back to the ref and just dropped the ball so it rolled the same way he was going, but it certainly did not look like he said anything.

Anyway, he got T-d up and it looked like for no other reason except he did not return the ball properly to the referee.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."