Author Topic: Van Gundy to penalize Rockets  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
Van Gundy to penalize Rockets
« on: March 11, 2005, 11:57:06 PM »
Yao Haters take that.

(AP)
Ignoring coach Jeff Van Grunteds orders to play grunt ball, the Houston Rockets scored 41 points in the 4th Qtr en route to their highest point total of the year in 127-107 win on the road at Phx.  The Rockets trailed the Phx Suns by 14 points in late in the 3rd qtr.

"I'm furious, I don't want to see that happen again" said a flustered Jeff Van Gundy after the game.   Van Gundy could be seen waving his hands wildly ordering his team to slow it down each possession.  The Rockets ignored his request, TMac and Yao Ming both having great 4th qtrs.  

Van Gundy said he will reinsert and impose his "Veg Offense", beginning by taking away Yao Mings complimentary PF Changs restraunt passes for the next 48 hours.  Van Gundy stated that he has seen the movie "Coach Carter".  I plan to implement some discipline to this team.  I will ask TMac, "Mr McGrady, Sir!.  Give me 100 suicides and 500 pushups for that 4th qtr perfomance. " adding that the pushups should "take the starch out of McGradys arms to feel like hoisting up shots."  

He will also implement a 9 p.m. curfew, upon which he wants the entire Rockets team to study more defensive game plans.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 01:45:44 PM by Reality »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 09:16:30 AM »
He will also implement a 9 p.m. curfew, upon which he wants the entire Rockets team to study more defensive game plans.
I hope he is going to be hitting the new offense books himself :lol:

Reality...ok so Yao had a good game.  Thats great but this guy is suppose to be the next dominating center and has been everything but that for most of the season.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

rickortreat

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 10:00:55 AM »
Can someone explain to me why Van Gundy, doesn't wan't them to play that way?

1. They play VG's was and are loosing.
2. They play a wide-opne game and blow out the Suns.

I thought the idea was to win.  I thought the idea was to enteratain the fans while winning.

I'm sorry.  I just don't get it.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 08:19:51 PM »

Reality...ok so Yao had a good game.  Thats great but this guy is suppose to be the next dominating center and has been everything but that for most of the season.
Besides seeing rts post, I'll put this in Lakereze form.

How did the Lakers do the immediate year and years before Tex jackson became the offensive coordinator?

How did the Lakers do the very 1st year and years following with Tex Winters as the offensive coordinator?

Was the Laker lineup about exactly the same from the end of Non Tex to the start of Texs' Offense?  :nod:

Could it be that under the right system, TMac, Yao and the entire Rockets team would flourish offensively?

rickortreat

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 09:27:22 PM »
Ya know,

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about re BAD COACHES.

Van Gundy makes all kinds of money, has recognition, respect, credibility in the NBA as a coach.

Why?  What has he done as a coach that has enabled him to stay in the business and pull down big bucks?  Why is he still working in the league as a coach?

Are the owners and GM's so stupid that they hire someone based on there name?  His apprenticeship with Pat Riley, who showed that he couldn't win or put togther a team for years and years in NY?  

Every year, top line players are missed and drafted well below where they should be.  Every year, coaches are hired based on their holding jobs in the past, when they accomplished nothing.  It seems that very few people who've made this their lives work can recognize talent in either the players or the coaches.  

IMO, the good ones are few and far between, but even in the US there are good coaches and people who understand the game who never get a shot.  There has to be at least 100 potential NBA coaches who could do a better job than half the ones who have jobs.  

Crap, some of the people on this board would be better than Van Gundy!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 10:07:29 PM »
Rick,

JVG isn't a BAD coach -- he's just a HORRIBLE offensive coach.  He isn't a bad defensive coach (in fact, he's a good defensive coach) -- he just isn't getting the Rockets to buy into his defense at this point -- the problem is that he is such a HORRIBLE offensive coach that he KILLS his teams by insisting on his offense.  IF he would get a decent offensive coach to work with him (check out what PJ did getting Tex Winters), JVG would suddenly look like a VERY good coach.  The problem is that it seems his ego won't allow it!

rickortreat

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 10:29:19 AM »
Randy, that is exactly what makes him a bad coach- he's not complete in his view of how a basketball team should be run, and his overblown ego prevents him from getting the help he needs.

I suppose the same could be said about any underperforming coach in the NBA.  No one is perfect in any field of endeavor, but by finding people who compliment our weaknesses, together we can accomplish great things.

Except perhaps for Jim O'Brien, who really doesn't have a good workeable defensive concept, and is also unwilling to devise ways to get the most out of his players on the offensive end.

Since I only watch the Sixers on a regular basis, I can't necessarilly identify the weaknesses in other coaches, but I'm sure everyone here has ideas about how their team could become better, with the players they already have.

Offline NYCdog

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 04:30:32 PM »
Pss....Let me let you in on a little secret as to why his Rockets are all of a sudden a high scoring output machine.....

It all starts with defense. The man is not just a good defensive coach. He's a great defensive coach. T-Mac has apparently bought into this and he for one, is not getting burned half-assing it like he did last year in Orlando. I can vaguely remember one instance where he got burned repeatedly by Jamal Crawford last year when his them Magic squad got blown away by the Bulls....ESPN had a field day on T-mac with this. This year, that is not happening. Also, has anyone seen the play of Dikembe Mutombo of late. Under JVG, the guy looks like he's 20 all of a sudden, snatching rebounds and thwoing elbows. (Just Ask Lebron about that broken nose) This is the best I've seen Dikembe play in a long while. So dont give me this "players arent buying into JVG system" bull_.....cause they are.

The whole point of this is.......defense creates offense. When Housotn blew out Phoenix by 20 Friday night, they held the Suns to 17 points in the 4th. Yao's defense shut down Amare. These stops led to easy fast break points, which led to a 41 point 4th quarter for the Rockets. Want better....on Wednesday, the Rockets held the Sonics to an all-time low point figure in a quarter enroute to a huge win in Seattle. See what's going on here.....Defense is creating ofense.

And remember.....Defense wins championships.  

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 01:49:04 PM »

The whole point of this is.......defense creates offense. When Housotn blew out Phoenix by 20 Friday night, they held the Suns to 17 points in the 4th. Yao's defense shut down Amare. These stops led to easy fast break points, which led to a 41 point 4th quarter for the Rockets. Want better....on Wednesday, the Rockets held the Sonics to an all-time low point figure in a quarter enroute to a huge win in Seattle. See what's going on here.....Defense is creating ofense.

And remember.....Defense wins championships.
Dog,

Are you seriously going to tell me it was the Hornets D that was the sole reason for a 76-73 win over the Rock-ettes?  A game the Rockets lead by 18 late third.  Only to revert to Gruntball in a 17 point 4th qtr.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=250401010

We concur that Mt. Deke is revitalized and playing killer D for the Rockets.
And that team D will be a key in the playoffs.
However,
Defense and offense wins championships.

Just as defense sets up your offense, so your offense sets up your defense.

Okay lets see what the Rockets have today vs Phx.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 01:52:20 PM by Reality »