Author Topic: What would happen to the NBA if.....  (Read 1234 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
What would happen to the NBA if.....
« on: February 18, 2005, 11:13:35 AM »
they go through the same scenario as the NHL?

Talk around the sports community is that the NHL will not survive.  It's already considered a "fringe" sport in the US.  L.A., and most of the country, could care less because nobody was talking or writting about the possible NHL lock-out until it actually happened.

The NBA has seen much better days, the recent Piston/Pacers disaster and all the negative media coverage of NBA players really has left a sour taste in even the most die-hard NBA fans if viewership and merchandise sales are an indication.

I would start to follow the NCAA like I used to back in the 80's and pretty much give up regular season b-ball and only watch the playoffs the same way I do with baseball.

So what would be your reaction?  
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 11:56:44 AM »
At the moment I am very down on the NBA.

Lately, if you haven't heard, the Kings have gone through a particularly bad stretch of games where the referees help to influence the outcomes. Three late game calls, or non-calls,  that all went against the Kings. Now, the Kings played poorly in those games at the end, missing free throws and easy layups and such, but the other teams did not need the added bonus of the refs backing them up either.

Now, as annoying as the poor officiating has been for Sacramento, the reaction of the refs and the League regarding them is what I am upset about. The refs actually told Adelman that they conferred over a charging foul on Brad Miller to make sure they "got the call right" before making their decision. Since the defensive player was inside the circle under the basket, the right call was a blocking foul and a three point play. Instead they conferred and decided it was a charge on Miller. How could they decide it was a charge when their own rules dictate what to call in that situation?

That was nearly as bad as the goaltending non-call in the Dallas game that would have guaranteed overtime. Same thing. The rule book dictates what the refs HAVE to call in that situation. For the League to back the refs and then fine the players for suggesting they made a mistake is so hypocritical that I now could care less what the NBA does.

I am not bothering with the NBA-sanctioned All Star game at all, and will not be supporting the League in any way. If they follow the NHL in their labor negotiations, which is likely, I am really not in the mood to care.

Frankly, they can shove their image problems and labor problems and biased little pissant referees up their collective asses.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 11:56:59 AM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

guest-koast

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 12:04:59 PM »
JoMaL....how about Refs changing the course of a championship series?  A foul called every minute and a half?  As bad as some of these calls have been for your team, they make mistakes all the time.  It happens to everyone.  Lets just hope they dont continue this trend against Sac in the playoffs.  The more the players and staff complain the more BS they are going to call.

One thing im discusted with is this isnt the all-star game or all-star weekend.  Its the Lebron game/weekend.  How is it the whole west all-star team vs Lebron?  Why are all the commercials all about Lebron?  I love James to death and hes becomming one of my favorite players to watch but come on....this weekend is for all the hard working, talented players in this league.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 12:52:36 PM »
One thing im discusted with is this isnt the all-star game or all-star weekend.
I'm disgusted with your 5th grade spelling teacher.  :D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 12:54:21 PM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 01:28:46 PM »
Why? At least MY fifth grade teacher could spell disgusted.

As for the Kings and complaining, I am fully behind your point of view on it. Enough is enough, and they are getting a bad rep about it. Even if the complaining has merit, it is not making them look very professional and they might as well cool it. Even Petrie came out recently to comment on his players' overreaction, and it takes some doing for him to face a camera (unlike his extroverted wife!)

But what I don't understand is the League's attitude about the calls. They are essentially telling the NBA fan base, "Look, you stupid morons, we the GOD-sanctioned NBA who's-its, know what a foul is, what goal-tending is, and what a charge is. We know that when a player, other then Kobe Bryant, pokes the eye out of an opponent, it will be a foul on that player, but if Kobe does it, then the other guy deliberately stuck his eye into the finger of Bryant, you dumb assholes!"

The sanctimonious reaction of these idiots apparently does not faze them one bit when everyone looks at them as NBA perverts. They just don't get how making these decisions and backing them up dilutes their precious League by making them look totally biased and not caring about it.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 02:19:36 PM »
LOL @ me not catching it.......discustya is a popular slang word used on a hip hop board I post on alot.  Often I switch between this board and that board when I get in the posting mood aka nothing to do at work mood.

JoMaL...any star player gets special treatment.  Just like the fans the refs watch these guys alot closer. I really dont believe they are bias or want one team or another to win at the end.  This is comming from a big fan of a team who got whistled for a foul every minute and a half in just 5 games.  However, I do think a number of them just plain do a bad job and some let their emotions effect calls made.  That is a problem.  Another problem is these guys complaining more and more.  That was a problem in the playoffs a few years back and it seems like its becomming a problem again.  Whether the players are right or wrong it pisses the refs off even more.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 02:30:48 PM »
W.O.W you arent getting all worked up with Vic the Brick and Michelle Thompsons every 15 minutes "Phils going to coach the Lakers again" mantra??

NBA Fundamentals are at an all time low.

My bet is Stern and Co are laying out the dollar bills to get Phil back.  I concur that NYC is a spot Phil likes, but not with the Knicks rather the Manhattan Nets.

Still also wonder if Phildo would do Texas/Yao/Rockets.

All the pro leagues greed is just too much.  Then MLB commish Peter whats him name on the would be MLB strike of '84 suggested play the season, put all the money into an account and argue about splitting the pot later.  Its just utter simple logic and why these arseholes (past and present) instead opt for zero is so greedy....

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 03:18:17 PM »
LOL @ me not catching it.......discustya is a popular slang word used on a hip hop board I post on alot.  Often I switch between this board and that board when I get in the posting mood aka nothing to do at work mood.

JoMaL...any star player gets special treatment.  Just like the fans the refs watch these guys alot closer. I really dont believe they are bias or want one team or another to win at the end.  This is comming from a big fan of a team who got whistled for a foul every minute and a half in just 5 games.  However, I do think a number of them just plain do a bad job and some let their emotions effect calls made.  That is a problem.  Another problem is these guys complaining more and more.  That was a problem in the playoffs a few years back and it seems like its becomming a problem again.  Whether the players are right or wrong it pisses the refs off even more.
Getting star treatment from the refs is one thing, but the mindnumbing indifference to League rules as they apply to a standard basketball game has no excuse. Apparently, the rules apply only as they see fit at the moment. Tomorrow, or even next quarter, the "other" League sanctioned rules go into affect. To the players and coaches, don't expect us to tell you which ones apply at any give time.

Makes for such a comfort zone, I just can't stand it.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 05:29:44 PM »
Getting star treatment from the refs is one thing, but the mindnumbing indifference to League rules as they apply to a standard basketball game has no excuse. Apparently, the rules apply only as they see fit at the moment. Tomorrow, or even next quarter, the "other" League sanctioned rules go into affect. To the players and coaches, don't expect us to tell you which ones apply at any give time.

Makes for such a comfort zone, I just can't stand it.
I have to agree with Jomal here.  Bad calls happen, and that is life.  My issue is that the NBA is making no overt effort to address the incompetence of many of it's officals.  Star treatment is wrong, no ifs, ands, or buts.  Lack of consistency is abysmal.  Refs with an attitude can get away with almost anything, referring to Steve Javie as a great example.  There are times when I really just prefer not to watch, because it is so pathetic.
The change in the NBA for most of the 90's to being a defensive scrum, was based solely upon how officals called games.  Now they are calling more hand checks outside the key and now scoring is going up.  They didn't change any rules, just how they were interpreted, and the league is becoming totally different.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil