Author Topic: Why are there only 4 Slam dunk contestants?  (Read 2434 times)

rickortreat

Why are there only 4 Slam dunk contestants?
« on: February 17, 2005, 04:22:01 PM »
The Slam Dunk contest used to be the most exciting thing to watch at All-Star weekend, but it just doesn't have the cache it used to.  But they could be doing things to make it more interesting.

Why aren't big name your players like LeBron and Carmello in the contest?  Why aren't young players with some real ups automatically in the contest based on their play?  Andre Igoudala should definitly be in, based on what he does in games.  I'm sure there are a number of other players you'd like to see in the Slam Dunk -off.

So who would you like to see competing, or do you care at all?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 04:33:36 PM »
It's lost it's appeal to fans because it's lost it's appeal to the players.  If players like LeBron, Kobe, VC and T-Mac would compete along side the lesser known players then you would get more support.  As it stands now you have 2nd/3rd tier players competing for the prize.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

guest-koast

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 04:41:30 PM »
I want to see guys who thrown down thunderous dunks.  I wanna see Lebron.  I wanna see Amare.   I wanna see Jason Richardson.   I wanna see those kinds of dunkers.  The ones that make your couch shake when you are watching the game.

The dunk contest has been blah to me since a few years back when they had the players try to re-create dunks already done before.  Aside from J-Rich's between the legs ala Vince Carter with a remixed touched (doing the dunk opposite of what VC did) there hasnt been much intrest from me.  I see much better dunks in the middle of games than I have in the contest the last few years.

rickortreat

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 05:30:29 PM »
The thing is, it was based on creativity and, lets face it, there are only so many ways you can dunk a basketball, and everything has pretty much been done.

Maybe they need to change the contest, so that the best dunker is the one who can do the most difficult dunks the best.

For the finals, one of them should be how far away from the basket can you be to dunk the ball, with the foul line being the gold standard.  Maybe the players now can't do that, but I'd like to see where they have to take off from.

WOW you're right about the players.  I wonder why Lebron doesn't WANT to be in it.  I would think that it would become a big marketing thing.  A car company of some other buisness should sponsor the event and sign the winner to a contract.  I would say shoe company, but I think they probably have deals already.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 06:14:53 PM »
I think the slam dunk contest has lost it's luster although because that's the highlights that SportsCenter continues to show, it will take a great deal of time to reach it's final demise.

Rick, I don't think you can make the long dunk (from ft line) the crowning event -- it simply gives longer, more athletic participants an advantage.  I think there are quite a few who can do it but there are some tremendous dunkers who are shorter and this event would penalize them.  Tall players with long legs and strides would have a tremendous advantage (for example, see Dr. J).  MJ did it but I'm not sure how many other SG's 6'6" or under could pull it off -- Kobe, TMac and LeBron all have the length, long-wing span and athleticism -- I'm not even sure VC could do it anymore.

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 08:47:15 PM »
The NBA is missing it with this I think.  I would love to see Travis Outlaw be in the dunk contest.  This guy can touch the top of the backboard.  He would add a little to the event, and would give Portland fans a reason to watch.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 10:23:23 PM »
It's an absolute travesty that Andre Iguodala isn't in the dunk contest.  Him and Josh Smith would be 2 guys that certainly are NOT in the 2nd tier of dunkers.  For any doubters watch highlights from yesterdays sixers game and his reverse windmill.  Breathtaking.  Or one of his nearly daily oops from Iverson.

Chris Anderson?  Are you kidding me?

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 11:42:22 PM »
It's an absolute travesty that Andre Iguodala isn't in the dunk contest.  Him and Josh Smith would be 2 guys that certainly are NOT in the 2nd tier of dunkers.  For any doubters watch highlights from yesterdays sixers game and his reverse windmill.  Breathtaking.  Or one of his nearly daily oops from Iverson.

Chris Anderson?  Are you kidding me?
I was not referring to 2nd tier dunkers, I was referring to 2nd tier players.  Back in the day you had some of the best PLAYERS and not just dunkers competing.  That's what's missing, Kobe, T-Mac, Lebron and VC are all big name players who are more than just dunkers but don't seem to want to compete.

I don't think big men like Amare fair too well, their spectacular dunks are done because they are dunking on someone or in traffic, can't do that in the contest.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

rickortreat

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 01:06:30 AM »
Big men can win the slam dunk, but they really have to show off their power to do it.  Larry Nance comes to mind as a guy who did really spectacular dunks, jumping so his shoulders were as high as the backet, and windmilling the ball into the hoop.

Even though it's a simple dunk, it has a certain emotional quality, especially when you hear the bang.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 12:05:13 PM »
I am hoping that one of these dunkers breaks his leg trying to do a Vince Carter move, ruining the rest of his season and the playoff chances of his team in the process for this year and several to come.

I am hoping that during the rookie game, a promising young player gets gouged in the eye and has to retire.

I am hoping a mega-star player roaches himself so severely in the All Star game that mothers of young children have to cover the eyes of their kids to avoid the hideous sight of a huge man screaming like a little girl in the middle of the court.

But I certainly will not be viewing any of this live, as the League and its sanctioned ego-fest annual seasonal flake show can take their hypocritical little mental midget butt-lickers to another planet, for all I care.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 12:55:52 PM »
I am hoping that one of these dunkers breaks his leg trying to do a Vince Carter move, ruining the rest of his season and the playoff chances of his team in the process for this year and several to come.

I am hoping that during the rookie game, a promising young player gets gouged in the eye and has to retire.

I am hoping a mega-star player roaches himself so severely in the All Star game that mothers of young children have to cover the eyes of their kids to avoid the hideous sight of a huge man screaming like a little girl in the middle of the court.

But I certainly will not be viewing any of this live, as the League and its sanctioned ego-fest annual seasonal flake show can take their hypocritical little mental midget butt-lickers to another planet, for all I care.
roaches?

Seriously...roaches?  :huh:  
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 01:19:42 PM »
Sorry....it's what we used to call it in grade school. Maybe I am dating myself.  
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

rickortreat

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 03:01:47 PM »
JoMal, that is awful and mean-spirited.

Besides, it's for the fans, a chance to honor the best of the best in the game they love.  It's good for the players, since many of them end up playing on teams that have no chance to win anything, and this gives them something to shoot for.

It incentivises good play, as do the statistics.  It's one thing to think you're the best, it's another to prove it through established metrics.

This should be one of the "feel good" moments in basketball, a celebration of the game, the history, the players and the fans, who get to choose which ones deserve to go.

I don't ever want to see anyone hurt playing basketball.  

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2005, 03:23:55 PM »
JoMal, that is awful and mean-spirited.

Besides, it's for the fans, a chance to honor the best of the best in the game they love.  It's good for the players, since many of them end up playing on teams that have no chance to win anything, and this gives them something to shoot for.

It incentivises good play, as do the statistics.  It's one thing to think you're the best, it's another to prove it through established metrics.

This should be one of the "feel good" moments in basketball, a celebration of the game, the history, the players and the fans, who get to choose which ones deserve to go.

I don't ever want to see anyone hurt playing basketball.
Yes, it is mean-spirited.

But the All Star game supposedly shows off what a great League the NBA is, and I just don't have any desire at the moment for any good image showcase to make them look as good as they think they do.

Maybe I would be satisfied if David Stern and Stu Jackson were caught in a compromising embrace prior to the half-time show that makes the Janet Jackson Super Bowl fiasco look like a Sesame Street episode.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 08:09:46 PM »
Tell me this guy shouldn't be in the dunk contest:
http://www.phillyarena.net/files/Andre_Igu...heed_Wallace.rm