Author Topic: Suns/Kings game controversy, as...  (Read 1577 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Suns/Kings game controversy, as...
« on: February 09, 2005, 02:58:02 PM »
Well, that was an entertaining game, but the post game hi-jinxs were so much better.

First, the Kings try out a new method of giving away Kings' gear, with players tossing headbands, armbands, and other parts of their used uniforms into the awaiting arms of their adoring fans still booing the outcome in the stands. Not to be outdone, megastar Chris Webber dropkicks the game ball almost into the second tier. (Boy, who out there is not envious of the lucky fan who caught THAT highflyer?)

High priced basketball paraphernalia indeed!!   Not if you were at Arco Arena last night!!

Then the expansive tirade by newcomer Cutino Mobley, who prefaced his comments with, "I don't care if I get fined...." (uh oh)  before landing squarely in the crosshairs of the League office by ripping (or maybe he was implying - 'finally providing' ) a new a**-hole for the referees of the Suns/Kings' game. -

"Should refs get fined for messing games up?" Mobley asked. "I mean, the top offices protect them to the fullest. You know what I'm saying? You'll fine us to the fullest. If we do something to (the officials), they'll go cry to (Commissioner) David Stern or somebody.

"If I get fined for this, so what? I don't care. I know I'm not a bad guy. I know I'm not a bad kid or whatever you call it. But (the officials) go unscathed. I mean, it's blatant. You don't even look at your other refs. Shawn Marion, first he grabbed (Miller), and then it's a goaltend, (which they don't call). Then you don't even go to the table to look at the (replay)."  (BTW, they could not do that anyway, as referees can only use replay to determine game-clock issues.)

Mobley continued, -

"They won't get punished for the cost of a game. That cost us the game right there. Sometimes I look at how some refs talk to people, and you can't even talk to some of them. Some of them are either too young or too old to talk to.

"I think they should get punished also. They were rushing off the floor like somebody was going to beat them up. Nobody was going to touch you. They get protected like…..the government. Where were (they) going, this late at night?"

Real fun stuff.

Many at Arco certainly looked like they might beat up the refs and perhaps follow them to a late-night Denny's to jack them up a bit over not calling that "blatant" goaltending, but I have not heard a thing about anyone finding a bloody, homeless-looking person in a stripped shirt somewhere in the county. At least not yet.

Wonder if anyone on the Kings thought about discussing the missed free throws by Mike Bibby, or the missed layup on a three-on-one by Miller a bit earlier, or Webber's short hook shot?

Or giving up a 16 point lead they held in the third quarter?

That "alleged" blocked shot alone accounted for 18 points. Whew!!!!

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 03:10:05 PM »
i saw that on espn last night, tough break Jomal...so close, and i was cheering for the kings too.  damn that Amare and his shot block :cry:  :cry: ...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 04:23:50 PM »
so what did happen?
Espn claims replays show no way was it a goaltend.  What about Marrion grabbing Miller?

What these guys go thru just to feed their families.  :cry:  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 10:55:24 AM »
so what did happen?
Espn claims replays show no way was it a goaltend.  What about Marrion grabbing Miller?

What these guys go thru just to feed their families.  :cry:
Reality its very tough making tens of thousands (or in some cases hundreds of thousands) of dollars per game.  I dont think you understand how hard it is to make in one game what people make in 3 years.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 11:53:52 AM »
Well, one goal-tending non-call that could have affected the outcome of a game in a season could be a problem. But having two in one week, both affecting the outcome of games in the last minute, both that go against the same team, and both on that team's home-court?

All I can say is, the credibility of the NBA League is shot to hell. This now has the looks of an extremely corrupt response to the griping of players because instead of taking the high road on this, they chose to make a statement that shows just how in control they are, and if anyone slightly wondered if the refs actually make their calls based on who is playing the games to ensure the outcome, the Dallas/Kings game cemented that sentiment.

There can BE no arguement on the second noncall on goaltending that went against the Kings and kept them from an overtime game. The rule book puts it in black and white and there is no room for interpretation. If the ball bounces off the backboard first, no player on either team can touch it above the rim, period.

This time the Kings' players took it and walked off the court without a complaint or a word. The League has spoken; the outcome was in the books and would not be reversed.

And if the League thinks they came out of it showing they had control and the players could just shut up about it, apparently they did not think about the public image the NBA just tarnished by doing it. They just proved that they are biased, and that certain teams will never be challenged, if the League prefers them to win.

I have lost all confidence in the integrity of the NBA. They can take their biased referees and just go to hell themselves.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 12:08:28 PM »
Did you see shades of Mike Bibby getting his jaw in the way of Kobme yesterday?

Lebron was guarding and Kobme did the near exact same elbow swing.  Foul called on Lebron for getting his jaw in the way of The Pampered One.

How clear was Goaltend #1?  I saw #2 the no-doubter.  Ruined what was a great back n forth game.   I will say Jomal they are viewing in realtime.  I'm all for replay on stuff like this.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 12:46:48 PM »
Did you see shades of Mike Bibby getting his jaw in the way of Kobme yesterday?

Lebron was guarding and Kobme did the near exact same elbow swing.  Foul called on Lebron for getting his jaw in the way of The Pampered One.

How clear was Goaltend #1?  I saw #2 the no-doubter.  Ruined what was a great back n forth game.   I will say Jomal they are viewing in realtime.  I'm all for replay on stuff like this.
The first goaltending call was debatable, but I thought it was above the rim and in the cylinder, making it a goaltend. The second one cannot be debated, and it was pretty clear initially. All the replay did was confirm it was goaltending.  

No, the Kings are not a preferred team by the NBA, no question. The series of playoff loses to the Lakers underlines that clearly, and did so on more then one occasion. But these little things tend to add up to a preference by the League. Where the League clearly shows its intend regarding the Kings has been late in close games, lately and in the playoffs. The Kings have yet to be the team that has benefitted from a questionable call that affects the outcome. The Lakers had no worries when playing the Kings for that reason, but against the Spurs, the refs had some issues, as they also have to favor San Antonio to a degree.

While saying on the one hand that the Kings' style of play is much preferred by the NBA (HA!), they then make extra sure it does not flourish. Makes no sense, but there it is. Which is why I can safely predict the Suns will be going home in the second round this year, maybe the Western finals.

But no way an up and running, exciting offensive team gets to the finals. The NBA flat out will NOT allow that to happen. Just don't ask me why.

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 01:12:15 PM »
The Vince Carter ejection vs Spurs was lame.
He had lit them up for 40+ with plenty of time left in the 4th.  Definite game changer.