Author Topic: Malone to decide on Spurs by end of week  (Read 2606 times)

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
Malone to decide on Spurs by end of week
« on: February 07, 2005, 12:26:24 PM »

Updated: Feb. 7, 2005, 11:46 AM ET

ESPN.com news services

Karl Malone talked to the San Antonio Spurs on Saturday and could have a decision for the team by the end of the week.

Malone

The forward stopped in San Antonio to meet with Tim Duncan and coach Gregg Popovich, The San Antonio Express-News reported in Sunday's editions.

Malone was en route to his home in California from his Arkansas Ranch.

The Spurs would like a decision before the All-Star Game on Feb. 20, although Malone made no commitment, the paper reported.

Malone told The Riverside Press-Enterprise on Sunday that the San Antonio is the only team he'll consider.

"Me and my wife [Kay] will meet [Sunday] and have a decision by the end of the week," Malone told the Press-Enterprise. "It was a good meeting with Tim and Gregg and it's exactly what I thought it would be. There was no fakeness. I got straight-up answers."

Malone has not played since having surgery on his right knee, which he re-injured during the Lakers playoff run.

Malone's agent, Dwight Manley, told the Los Angeles Times almost two weeks ago that Malone is leaning toward retirement.

On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 12:31:31 PM »
Will the Spurs move TD to Center and start Malone at PF?  It seems to be the obvious decision -- we all know how happy the Spurs are with the Rasho experiment -- DRob could STILL play better ball than Rasho even WITH a bad back and a cane!  I didn't think he would go to SA because the Spurs just didn't need him -- but with the lacking play of Rasho, Malone's presence helps the Spurs even more (although I prefer to see TD playing PF rather than Center).

I'd love to see Malone get a ring -- just based on his play with the Lakers last year.  

ontheroad-koast

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 12:43:21 PM »
This would be excellent for the Spurs to pick up Karl for a number of reasons...

1) TD can play center

2) TD will have another big body in the middle to actually bang away against other post players.  Plus if anyone roughs up Duncan he has someone to get his back.

3) The offense will become even more fluid as Karl Malone is an excellent and very unselfish passer

4) The double team on Duncan that has worked in the pass is going to become almost ineffective with the shooters on the Spurs teamed up with the fact that the other big man on the court CANNOT leave Malone to double.  

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 02:00:39 PM »
Despite Randy's delusions the Spurs are extremely happy with Rasho.  If anyone would take the time to look they would see that he consistantly gives a solid defensive effort every night.  Pop has gone as far to say that Rasho is the best team defender on the Spurs...that he understands the rotations and is in proper position more often than anyone.   He gives the Spurs EXACTLY what they want from the center position.

Karl has been told by Pop that he will not get guaranteed minutes...part of that straight up honest communication.  Malone will not start for the Spurs.  What he will do is take away Horry & Rose's minutes as the first big man off the bench.  Also I would fully expect Malone to be on the floor at the end of games instead of Rasho.  The other combo I would expect to see at times is Malone/Horry at the c/pf spots.  The whole c/pf position argument is a bunch of horse manure when determing the roles on the court for the Spurs.  Even at the end of DRob's career he played more of the pf position on offense and center on defense.  Malone can handle the same duties.  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 02:47:38 PM »
Despite Randy's delusions the Spurs are extremely happy with Rasho.  If anyone would take the time to look they would see that he consistantly gives a solid defensive effort every night.  Pop has gone as far to say that Rasho is the best team defender on the Spurs...that he understands the rotations and is in proper position more often than anyone.   He gives the Spurs EXACTLY what they want from the center position.

Karl has been told by Pop that he will not get guaranteed minutes...part of that straight up honest communication.  Malone will not start for the Spurs.  What he will do is take away Horry & Rose's minutes as the first big man off the bench.  Also I would fully expect Malone to be on the floor at the end of games instead of Rasho.  The other combo I would expect to see at times is Malone/Horry at the c/pf spots.  The whole c/pf position argument is a bunch of horse manure when determing the roles on the court for the Spurs.  Even at the end of DRob's career he played more of the pf position on offense and center on defense.  Malone can handle the same duties.
Rasho's a stiff who gets by because of the extra attention that TD requires on EVERY play -- you need to take off your Spurs blinders, cause you obviously can't see!

Just a few facts before you read someone ELSE who believes the same thing:

1) Rasho averages 25 mpg -- that's HARDLY even starters minutes.  IF Rasho was this awesome defensive player, wouldn't he get MORE than 25 minutes a game?  Yep, thought so!

2)  He is shooting 43% FG% -- and that's WITH the incredibly wide open looks he is getting because teams are doubling on TD.

3)  He is shooting 45% FT% -- gosh that makes even Shaq look good!

4.  1.5 blk, 6.7 reb. 1 ass. 5.4 points and 1.3 TO per game -- definately nothing there to write home about, huh?

Addition by subtraction may be best thing for the Spurs
W. Scott Bailey

When I used this space to sing the praises of Spurs guard Devin Brown, the hometown kid got his minutes cut.

So I fully expect that this column will lead to a five-year contract extension for a certain starting center for the local NBA team.

Who wants to be even partially responsible for that? Not I.

Still, there comes a point when you have to stop biting your tongue or severe bleeding will ensue. Because I am a bit squeamish -- and because the point of this column has always been to provide a pull-no-punches alternative -- here comes some of that truth-shall-set-you-free stuff that gives Spurs brass heartburn.

Rasho Nesterovic is a bust.

There is no gentle jumping off point, no rosy way to paint this ugly picture.

The numbers do not lie. And the apologists' tired line about "he does the things that don't show up in the box score" doesn't fly.

In fairness to Rasho, he came to San Antonio with an impossible task and an exaggerated billing. He was never going to fill the shoes of David Robinson. But he could fill the bucket with the ball a few times and Spurs fans wouldn't mind.

In defense of the Spurs, management has been right on the player personnel side of the equation enough times to win a pair of NBA Championships. So when Gregg Popovich and R.C. Buford took a chuckwagon full of free agent dough and drove it to Rasho's doorstep prior to the start of last season, even those with raised eyebrows gave management the benefit of the doubt.

Now one has to wonder if Popovich is not as disappointed as Spurs fans over Rasho's play.

Numbers game
I'm not great at arithmetic, which is why I became a writer. But I can do simple math. The Spurs minus Rasho may equal a better shot at another title.

In defense of those whose eyebrows were raised when the Spurs spent their millions on Rasho, there was every reason to believe from the outset that he would be a bust here. During his four years in Minnesota, the Timberwolves never once won a playoff series.

Then there was last season, Rasho's first in a Spurs uniform. While his former team made it to the Western Conference Finals without him, Rasho's new team, defending champions, would implode in the second round against the same Los Angeles Lakers who were dismantled by the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals and then promptly disassembled by owner Jerry Buss in the off-season.

Rasho's career playoff averages: 5.9 points and 4.6 rebounds per game.

No matter how you spin it, those are mediocre numbers and the Spurs need more out of that position.

There were hopes in Spursville that Rasho would toughen up over the summer and come back this season with a desire to silence his critics and impress his teammates and coaches. Instead, he has managed to further disappoint most nights.

His scoring average has dropped from 8.7 points per game in 2003-04 to 5.5 so far this season. The rebounding numbers, too, have fallen -- from 7.7 to 6.7.

It gets worse. Last season, Rasho's accuracy from the free-throw line was a horrid 47 percent. So far this season, it has dropped to a pathetic 45 percent.

Meanwhile, his overall field-goal-shooting percentage has plummeted from 47 percent last season to 42 percent at present.

For all of this, the Spurs are reportedly paying Rasho $42 million over six seasons. The worst part about that: The Spurs remain committed to Rasho for another four-plus seasons.

It's a lot of money and a lot of years for a guy who has yet to be a part of anything special in the NBA post season.

Nice guy
It's too bad. Rasho was supposed to be the perfect fit, a high-post center who would leave Tim Duncan plenty of room down low to work his magic. But whatever alleged outside shot Rasho was expected to bring with him to San Antonio from Minnesota was apparently lost by the airline's luggage handlers.

It is a problem only compounded by his sluggish demeanor, which may contribute to his lack of aggressiveness on defense. A recent loss in Utah was evidence of that lack of finesse, as Rasho's poor positioning and less-than-explosive hustle on a number of plays allowed the Jazz too many offensive rebounds and extra shots -- and the opportunity to end a nine-game losing streak.

With 82-plus inches of flesh to throw in front of the opponent, the Spurs have to expect more from their center. To get anywhere in the playoffs, they will need more.

For now, they are apparently stuck with a player whose lack of grit often leaves him looking like a lost worm at a fish farm.

Off the court, Rasho seems like an affable sort. So there is a part of you that feels sorry for him and wants to ignore the urge to be critical.

Then you think about the huge amount of money the Spurs -- and their fans -- are paying him and how that ultimately plays a part in the rising number of people who can no longer afford to attend a game.

Not everyone is down on Rasho. Some folks believe he is giving the Spurs what they need. And there is no denying that this is one of the best starts ever for the Spurs.

But if this is all the Spurs are going to get out of Rasho, the great start could well be wiped out by a disappointing finish.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 04:00:42 PM »
Of course, like you Randy, I should believe some beat writer from an out-of-town paper over what the coach repeatedly says.  And before you call it homerism you should check out what Malone....and almost every other player says about Pop....he doesn't mince words.  Pop has a rep among the league of being a straight shooter who is truthfully blunt.  And Pop repeatedly has said Rasho is giving him what he wants from him....a tough in the paint defender.  But then you still think the Spurs play a dump & watch offense even though such luminaries as Magic Johnson say it is one of the most entertaining offenses to watch.  But then to convince you of something different than that which you have seared into your version of a brain is next to impossible....no make that the other side of impossible.  So I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.  I know the Spurs brass definately disagree with your assessment.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 04:01:24 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 04:55:55 PM »
My question is, "Who could San An have gotten?"  Think they'd rather have Michael Olowakandi?  Think they'd rather have a gaping hole there?  I don't think so.  Yes, Nesterovic shows some signs of being a stiff, but he's a BIG stiff.

Outside of Brad Miller, the Spurs really didn't have anyone better to go after to replace Robinson alongside of Duncan.  They went out and got the best-fitting piece they could find.  And, despite the fact that Nesterovic MIGHT be considered a stiff at times, the piece San An got *DOES* fit.

If Minnesota could deal Olowakandi and get Nesterovic back right now, they'd do it.  Don't doubt that for a minute.
Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 05:27:02 PM »
My question is, "Who could San An have gotten?"  Think they'd rather have Michael Olowakandi?  Think they'd rather have a gaping hole there?  I don't think so.  Yes, Nesterovic shows some signs of being a stiff, but he's a BIG stiff.

Outside of Brad Miller, the Spurs really didn't have anyone better to go after to replace Robinson alongside of Duncan.  They went out and got the best-fitting piece they could find.  And, despite the fact that Nesterovic MIGHT be considered a stiff at times, the piece San An got *DOES* fit.

If Minnesota could deal Olowakandi and get Nesterovic back right now, they'd do it.  Don't doubt that for a minute.
I agree, Pop has defended Rasho SEVERAL times even taking it out on one reporter during his weekend interview show.  Rasho, is not great great, but Rasho gives the Spurs what they expected Rasho to give, they did not expect him to play like the YOUNG robinson they expected stats along the lines of OLD robinson - and he gives them that.  if there is any reason Rasho's stats would be down this season - it would be the same reason Duncans stats are down this season - we have better players on our team this year, we have outside shooters, we dont have to pass it inside to Tim EVERY time now.  we can kick it out to brent, manu, tony, devin, robert, etc.  Our motion offense also makes up for the old predictable "kick it in to Tim" we played before - i mean you WILL see that as long as we have Tim on our team, but we also move the ball really well to our shooters, and although i wouldnt have thought Karl would be that good a piece to our machine here, i gotta say this - even if all he did was catch and pass, he would make us better than what we are now.  he is a leader, and has the experience to really motivate us and push us.  I see Karl coming here as a good thing.  he really increases our chances at winning it all.
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Guest_spursfan101

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 10:47:27 AM »
Two years ago, I would have said SA was CRAZY to pursue that old man.  That was before I witnessed the SHUTDDOWN D he played against Tim Duncan in last years playoffs though. He would be a welcome addition, and, I think at this stage in his career, he would enjoy the team first environment that SA exudes.  For a player, SA really is a great place to be, and while half the city won't welcome him, (DROB ELBOW), that will quickly change once they see his contributions.

The man deserves a ring, and SA is the team to give it to him. They are 4th all time in margin of victory wins right now, they are quietly dominating their opponents.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005, 11:41:43 AM »
My question is, "Who could San An have gotten?"  Think they'd rather have Michael Olowakandi?  Think they'd rather have a gaping hole there?  I don't think so.  Yes, Nesterovic shows some signs of being a stiff, but he's a BIG stiff.

Outside of Brad Miller, the Spurs really didn't have anyone better to go after to replace Robinson alongside of Duncan.  They went out and got the best-fitting piece they could find.  And, despite the fact that Nesterovic MIGHT be considered a stiff at times, the piece San An got *DOES* fit.

If Minnesota could deal Olowakandi and get Nesterovic back right now, they'd do it.  Don't doubt that for a minute.
I agree, Pop has defended Rasho SEVERAL times even taking it out on one reporter during his weekend interview show.  Rasho, is not great great, but Rasho gives the Spurs what they expected Rasho to give, they did not expect him to play like the YOUNG robinson they expected stats along the lines of OLD robinson - and he gives them that.  if there is any reason Rasho's stats would be down this season - it would be the same reason Duncans stats are down this season - we have better players on our team this year, we have outside shooters, we dont have to pass it inside to Tim EVERY time now.  we can kick it out to brent, manu, tony, devin, robert, etc.  Our motion offense also makes up for the old predictable "kick it in to Tim" we played before - i mean you WILL see that as long as we have Tim on our team, but we also move the ball really well to our shooters, and although i wouldnt have thought Karl would be that good a piece to our machine here, i gotta say this - even if all he did was catch and pass, he would make us better than what we are now.  he is a leader, and has the experience to really motivate us and push us.  I see Karl coming here as a good thing.  he really increases our chances at winning it all.
The difference was that teams STILL respected the OLD DRob -- teams have ZERO respect for Rasho -- they just DARE him to shoot outside (and he is still only shooting what 43%?).

There's a reason why Pop is HAVING to defend Rasho -- he's just a big stiff.  

As for writer's outside the area, that was a SA paper -- is Rasho better than Olowakandi?  Absolutely!  However, that's like comparing a Texan with another Texan -- why not raise the standard a bit for comparison, okay?  I think Chris Mihm is a better center than Rasho!

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 12:22:15 PM »
why not raise the standard a bit for comparison, okay?  I think Chris Mihm is a better center than Rasho!
Talk about homerism.  D'oh!

:bash:  
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2005, 03:17:05 PM »
why not raise the standard a bit for comparison, okay?  I think Chris Mihm is a better center than Rasho!

Yeah, but whose the homer here?

Mihm:   25 mpg, 51% fg%, 66% ft%, 1.6 bpg, 7 rpg, 10.6 ppg

Rasho:  25 mpg, 43% fg%, 45% ft%, 1.5 bpg, 6.7 rpg, 5.4 ppg

And Rasho actually gets WIDE open looks at the basket because of TD!  

Notice that I never stated that Mihm was even a good center -- just that he was better than Rasho!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2005, 03:22:12 PM »
why not raise the standard a bit for comparison, okay?  I think Chris Mihm is a better center than Rasho!

Yeah, but whose the homer here?

Mihm:   25 mpg, 51% fg%, 66% ft%, 1.6 bpg, 7 rpg, 10.6 ppg

Rasho:  25 mpg, 43% fg%, 45% ft%, 1.5 bpg, 6.7 rpg, 5.4 ppg

And Rasho actually gets WIDE open looks at the basket because of TD!  

Notice that I never stated that Mihm was even a good center -- just that he was better than Rasho!
What you fail to realize Randy is that the color of Rasho's uniform is mostly black.

:drunk:  
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 03:58:07 PM »
What you Laker homers fail to realize is I never claimed that Mihm wasn't better.  But before you wet your pants in glee I never stated Rasho was better either.  In fact neither is an outstanding center but both seem to fit their team's needs quite well.

But based on the numbers posted if Rasho is a complete stiff & waste of dollars then Mihm falls pretty much in the same category.  Just a stiff who shoots mostly layups as opposed to 12-15 foot jumpers.

-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 04:12:51 PM »
But based on the numbers posted if Rasho is a complete stiff & waste of dollars then Mihm falls pretty much in the same category.

Now if you could only say those words and actually recognize that they were true!