Author Topic: Tomjanovich to resign as Lakers coach . . .  (Read 3142 times)

Guest_Randy

Tomjanovich to resign as Lakers coach . . .
« on: February 01, 2005, 04:46:25 PM »
Hmm, wasn't the glory job he thought it was?  

I never really thought he was the guy for the job -- I would have liked to see the Lakers give Jim Cleamons a shot as head coach.  It might take a couple of years for him to really grow into the position but it's going to take years for the Lakers to reach any kind of vaunted status at this point anyway!  

I think Buss was looking for a name -- now it's time to give Cleamons or Michael Cooper a shot (although I'm not sure how much of an offensive coach Cooper is).

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 05:02:21 PM »
Emphasis added....makes one wonder what he expected in his first season with a revamped roster.

ESPN.com news services
Rudy Tomjanovich will step down as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers after tonight's game against the Portland Trail Blazers, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

His health, although not a relapse of bladder cancer, and dissatisfaction with the way the Lakers are playing contributed to the decision, sources told Bucher.

Tomjanovich missed Sunday's game because of a stomach virus, and did not attend practice on Monday.

Assistant coach Frank Hamblen will become the interim coach.

The Lakers hired Tomjanovich on July 10, replacing Phil Jackson. They are 23-19, in seventh place in the Western Conference.

Tomjanovich, who guided the Houston Rockets to back-to-back NBA titles in 1994 and 1995, was in the first year of a five-year contract worth a reported $30 million. He left the Rockets after 12 season in May 2003 after being diagnosed with bladder cancer.

"It's just excitement, nothing but excitement," Tomjanovich said this fall about his return. "It's a positive. I've been like a young school boy since this has happened. At times I haven't gotten to sleep, but it's not anxiety. It's excitement."

After losing to the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals, the Lakers ended their successful partnership with Jackson and traded Shaquille O'Neal to the Miami Heat.

Hamblen has been a coach on five championship teams, three with the Lakers and two under Jackson with the Chicago Bulls.

Information from The Associated Press and SportsTicker was used in this report.

It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Offline Randy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 05:05:42 PM »
You know, it's funny to hear how many were saying that Kobe is so selfish on the court that it was limiting Odom's production -- the only problem with that is what has Odom done since Kobe went down?  See how many games he can foul out of?  The rest of the team has stepped up their game -- Odom is the exception -- his game has regressed!

The Lakers need to revamp their entire roster -- well, I think they do have some players who can work into a team format but Odom isn't a piece that I want to build around.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 05:37:44 PM »
Dont you guys think its a little funny that one of the reasons cited, not by Rudy I might add, that he is leaving is because the team hasnt played as well as he thought?  As a seasoned coached with rings dont you think he would give a pretty much brand new team (save 3 players) more than 40% of the first season to weight in on that subject?

The Lakers arent playing great but they are still above .500 and competeting for a playoff spot.  Sounds like ESPN is adding a little bit to the story to get it to catch like wild fire.

Rudy was out the last game due to medical reasons......didnt know that it was that serious.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 05:41:25 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 05:46:45 PM »
wk, while I wouldn't put it past ESPN to try to make more of this story than it is -- I wouldn't be surprised if Rudy isn't struggling to get the most out of this team -- I know I would definately be disappointed with the play of Lamar Odom.  Odom reminds me a lot of Rashard Lewis -- he simply can't be a #2 option -- he is more comfortable when he is a part of a team that doesn't need him to be a #2 option every night (see Miami).  If he has to have the pressure of being "the man" he simply can't handle it!

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 05:59:06 PM »
I was wondering when the real Odom would show up.

Atkins on the other hand has exploded since Kobme's departure.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 06:06:07 PM »
The Lakers need to revamp their entire roster --
Gee, Randy, isn't that what they did last summer?
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 06:07:21 PM »
I was wondering when the real Odom would show up.

Atkins on the other hand has exploded since Kobme's departure.
concur Atkins has been a total pest from opponents point of view.

W.O.W. can this be taken as final, because the Krishnas on Extra 690/1150 are saying (quoting a source) "It is not due to health reasons.  He is weighing several options, resigning being only one of them.  His current 2 game outage is strictly because of a sinus infection and stomache virus, the team loves him and he loves the team."

This was not Vic the Nozer doing his usual "love" & "feeling you" schpeel but rather an outside 690 source.
Vic speculates that its not so much the teams record but that Buss wanted up and down fast break exciting basketball, win or lose, and this team had turned too often dull.  

Balanced Steve Hartman wonders why Rudy would need an extra day or two but lets see.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 06:09:11 PM »
wk, while I wouldn't put it past ESPN to try to make more of this story than it is -- I wouldn't be surprised if Rudy isn't struggling to get the most out of this team -- I know I would definately be disappointed with the play of Lamar Odom.  Odom reminds me a lot of Rashard Lewis -- he simply can't be a #2 option -- he is more comfortable when he is a part of a team that doesn't need him to be a #2 option every night (see Miami).  If he has to have the pressure of being "the man" he simply can't handle it!
Odom hasnt been playing bad.  He just hasnt been a dominating scorer.  Hes much too passive to do that anyways but lets not pretend like he hasnt been a rebounding monster.  He has done quite a job rebounding for this team.  Something that the media and some fans seem to overlook.

Your best player is out for 17 games and your team is still above .500 after 9 or 10 games and you quit because they arent playing good enough?  Sounds funny for a seasoned coach....although Im sure the pressure by the LA fans who cant seem to grasp the fact that the Lakers are just a regular team now puts a toll on you.

I wish some La La residents would understand this team isnt a championship team.....its just a regular team now.  People expect them to have the Spurs record.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 12:55:59 AM »
Heres the latest news or rumors whatever....

Last week there was a meeting with Dr. Buss, Mitch The Moron, and Rudy about the direction of the team/whats going on.  Rumors are that Buss wanted to see a more fast break uptempo exciting team, win or lose, than what the Lakers have done over the last 15 or so games.  

Rudy is not doing so hot tho.  That part is 100% true.  How bad?  No official word.  A few players being interviewed after the game did nothing but send their love out to Rudy and wanted to see his health improve.

Jack Haley made a comment on the after game show on FSN that he hasnt seen Staples Center with so little fans in 5 years (Reality's thread ties into this also).   He also said he think the decision has been made and the Lakers want to handle the official word.  This is according to his 'feelers' when talking to management this week.

Lakers win 5-10 more games than right now and fickle LA fans would fill the seats.  Really it has nothing more to do with it than that lol.  Firing a coach isnt the answer.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 12:56:44 AM by westkoast »

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2005, 02:19:05 PM »
Okay - who to get to coach the Lakers now?

Let me submit a few names for consideration:

Michael Cooper: this guy should have had the Lakers job 10 years ago, but was by-passed in favor of a popular teammate.

Jim Cleamons: a Phil Jackson disciple looking for a team to give him a second chance as head coach. Expect a lot of the same things you saw from Jackson - and an improved Cleamons. But do you think Kobe wants to play in the triangle again?

Larry Drew: this guy was my choice to follow Del Harris, rather than Kurt Rambis. A long-time assistant looking for the opportunity.

Dwayne Casey: Seattle assistant is one of the more highly regarded assistants out there. A young coach, fully versed on McMillan's defensive schemes and willing to play an up-tempo game - could this be the return of Showtime?

Doug Collins: a legit possibility. It takes about 3 years for this guy to go from "breath of fresh air" to "stale windbag." During the early stages, he's a very good motivational coach. During the latter, he's a crybaby. If you want to build toward something and are willing to take a few years to do it, this is the guy.

My thought is that the best choice is Dwayne Casey, but I don't think he's a big enough name to get this job. The Lakers' job is high profile. That's why I think if it's someone on my list, it'll be Collins. Personally, I can't think of a lot of high-profile names out there right now - but that's who I'm betting on.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Guest_Randy

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 02:28:56 PM »
I can't STAND Collins!!!!!  I can put up with a lot of things but Collins as a coach?   I'd be as nauseous as I was when Del Harris was coaching the Lakers (and doing a horrible job) -- let Collins go somewhere else.

I'd rather Cleamons get the job (he was the one I wanted to begin with) -- I'd be willing to take a chance on Michael Cooper but I'd rather he get a bit more experience first.  I'd also be cool with Dwayne Casey -- this guy has the makings of a GREAT NBA coach (I think he is a better coach than Nate McMillan).

Who I DON'T want to coach the Lakers:
     Collins
     Del Harris
     Larry Drew (not sure he is ready either -- would rather take a chance on Michael Cooper)
     Byron Scott (I would have taken a chance with Scott earlier but he has been dismal in NO -- he seems to want to be the kind of coach that wants to run ONE kind of offense -- no matter what kind of personell he has -- don't like that kind of coach that tries to push square pegs through round holes).
     Phil Jackson -- let's let this one rest -- PLEASE!!!!  PJ likes the media -- almost as much as Dennis Rodman -- I think he thrives on it -- and he loves to air dirty laundry in the press.  I'd like to see the Lakers GROW during this rebuilding process rather than being spotlighted in their every move (and PJ will GUARANTEE that this will happen).

Does anyone find it interesting that:
  1.  Bryant doesn't have a problem with PJ coming back.
  2.  PJ would even CONSIDER coming back after the words that he has had for the LA Organization and/or Kobe Bryant.
  3.  How would Shaq respond to PJ's coming back?  That would an interesting sideline.

Offline msc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 12:22:02 PM »
Joe, fist off, I completely agree with your list ... except .... NOOOOOO  ...... not Doug Collins ..... NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!  It's bad enough I have to hear the guy announce a game once or twice a month, but to have to hear from him 82 days a season .... I just can't imagine a more catastrophic event that could happen to my team, and that's really saying something!

Also, Jim Calhoun probably has to be added to the list.  Personally, I don't think he'd leave UCONN after signing the 6-year deal.  I also generally don't have a lot of faith in college coaches making the leap.  But his name's being thrown around in the local rags quite a bit so I'd add him to the list.  

I love Coop and Scott as players and people and my heart wants to see them succeed as coaches.  My head and gut tell me neither is right fit and both may never develop to be great coaches. (note: that was painful for me to type  :cry: )

I'd like to see them hire Cleamons.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 12:37:24 PM »
Here's a scary thought, Isiah Thomas has thrown his hat into the ring.  

I will burn Staples Center to the ground before I let that happen!  :moon:  
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 12:59:13 PM »
Here's a scary thought, Isiah Thomas has thrown his hat into the ring.  

I will burn Staples Center to the ground before I let that happen!  :moon:
Is this guy try to set a record for number of franchises he can destroy in one lifetime?  First Toronto, then the CBA, then the Knicks and now LA.  As a western conference opponent I couldn't imagine a better person to take over in La-La Land.
 :up:  :nod:  :up:  
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues