Author Topic: Wonder if Yao is looking for greener pastures . .  (Read 1546 times)

Guest_Randy

Wonder if Yao is looking for greener pastures . .
« on: January 18, 2005, 01:26:28 PM »
I realize he still has another year on his contract but look what JVG is turning one of the most talented big men in the NBA into -- a stand around offensive afterthought.

It's pretty obvious that JVG doesn't have a CLUE offensively -- we all already knew that (seems that JVG is the only one who doesn't know that) but it's pretty tough to take a guy with as many offensive skills and abilities as Yao and turn him into a center who scores less than double digits a game.  Any yet, JVG, has managed to do just that -- scoring less than 10 points in 2 of his last 3 games.  I realize that Yao needs better conditioning but JVG seems to be doing everything possible to make Yao look like a bust, at this point.  And it seems to be affecting Yao's defense as well.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 02:02:20 PM »
I realize he still has another year on his contract but look what JVG is turning one of the most talented big men in the NBA into -- a stand around offensive afterthought.

It's pretty obvious that JVG doesn't have a CLUE offensively -- we all already knew that (seems that JVG is the only one who doesn't know that) but it's pretty tough to take a guy with as many offensive skills and abilities as Yao and turn him into a center who scores less than double digits a game.  Any yet, JVG, has managed to do just that -- scoring less than 10 points in 2 of his last 3 games.  I realize that Yao needs better conditioning but JVG seems to be doing everything possible to make Yao look like a bust, at this point.  And it seems to be affecting Yao's defense as well.
Shut up Randy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry Buss is subsidizing all of the Gundy family buisnesses...........
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 02:36:34 PM »
maybe yao should worry about getting in better shape and using his size to rebound rather than where he'd like to play.

I think, right now, I'd like to see more improvement out of yao than I have.  and I think at least part of that is on Yao.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 04:51:04 PM »
Yao was in foul trouble in his last game and played limited minutes.  Of course that is Van Gundy's fault.  In the game before that he played the Spurs and he managed to score 13.  The game before that was against NJ who plays a running game (at least now with Kidd) which doesn't play into Ming's strengths.

Then in his 3 games before that he scored 25, 20, & 21....but then maybe Van Gundy was on vacation those games.  Yao's average has gone up this year over last year although he is averaging less minutes.

He is the second leading scorer on the Rockets and seems to be meshing fairly well with T-Mac.   The Rockets are 13-7 in their last 20 games and starting to come together.  yao has no reason to be "looking for greener pastures".
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 04:51:26 PM by Lurker »
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.  Keep on thinking free.
-Moody Blues

Guest_Randy

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 06:17:08 PM »
Yao was in foul trouble in his last game and played limited minutes.  Of course that is Van Gundy's fault.  In the game before that he played the Spurs and he managed to score 13.  The game before that was against NJ who plays a running game (at least now with Kidd) which doesn't play into Ming's strengths.

Then in his 3 games before that he scored 25, 20, & 21....but then maybe Van Gundy was on vacation those games.  Yao's average has gone up this year over last year although he is averaging less minutes.

He is the second leading scorer on the Rockets and seems to be meshing fairly well with T-Mac.   The Rockets are 13-7 in their last 20 games and starting to come together.  yao has no reason to be "looking for greener pastures".
Sorry, Lurker, I just can't agree.  One look at JVG's offensive schemes (or the lack thereof) and I too would be looking for greener pastures -- I might just look for ANY other pasture!  IF he would get a decent offensive coordinator, I might stay but JVG makes Pop look like an offensive coaching giant (I might add that TD does the same thing!  lol).

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 07:37:21 PM »
From the 5 or so Rockets game I've been able to watch this year I wonder how much blame falls on JVG and how much blame falls on Yao.  To me it seems like Yao either gets tired very quickly or his intrest in the game flicks on and off like a light switch.  

I see little to no hustle from him for long periods of time.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 09:02:32 PM »
Shut up Randy!!

Jerry Buss is subsidizing all of the Gundy family buisnesses...........
What he said.

Grunty was all set to be fired three weeks ago IMO.  Enter his brother in Offensive Offense, Greg Pop*.  The TMac 13 pt explosion v Prevent the Win Offensive Mode Spurs sent the Rockets to a victory and they since have gone over 100 pts several times, nearing .500 and quieting down the mob who was yelling for Gruntys ouster.
Yao will be a new poster on your temple wall and underwear logo on your Purple n Gold collection in 2007.

*it's possible a new, enlightened Pop is slowly, very slowly evolving.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 10:30:21 PM by Reality »

rickortreat

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 11:57:05 AM »
Well, there's at least one guy who believes in Van Gundy- the Rockets owners!  There are a lot of coaches who are incompetent in this game and JVG is one of them.  The reason they still have and get jobs is because the owners are dopes when it comes to basketball, and they listed to insider GM's that are unable to identify talent.

Every year, players get drafted above or below where they ought to go, based on what happens once they start playing.  It seems pretty clear Billy King and Jim O'Brien did very well by selecting Andre Igoudala.  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 04:53:39 PM »
Every year, players get drafted above or below where they ought to go, based on what happens once they start playing. It seems pretty clear Billy King and Jim O'Brien did very well by selecting Andre Igoudala.

This is true Rick but many times it's quite impossible to really determine how well a player will play in the NBA.  College isn't always an indication of this (see Ralph Sampson).  

However, before tauting the impressive skills of Billy King and Jim O'Brien with Igoudala -- remember that these are the same guys who traded for Big Dog as well!  The Sixers have some young talent (how far those young players develop remains to be seen) but the Sixers have made some REALLY stupid trades in the past four years.