Author Topic: I bet Stern is really pissed that J.O. is playing  (Read 786 times)

Rickortreat

I bet Stern is really pissed that J.O. is playing
« on: January 06, 2005, 10:17:24 PM »
I really don't understand the legality of this, or how a judge could possibly uphold an arbitrators decision when the NBA didn't recognize his standing.

The NBA has the right to police it's players and make decisions as it sees fit.  Not the Players Union or an independent arbitrator.  What O'Neal did was just plain wrong and stupid.  Yes, the suspension was stiff, but that's the way a punishement is suppossed to work.  You pay the price, which is so high, you think and act with self restraint in the future.

I wonder if O'Neal has learned his lesson with this intercession on his behalf.  Maybe he'll think it's ok to pound a drunk who comes out of the stands instead of walking away and letting security handle it.  These guys are ball players, not rocket scientists.  Some of them are pretty pathetic human beings, as they're rewarded for their physical play, not the quality of their character.  Used to being adored and rewarded for being a ball player, not to mention well-compensated, there no feedback that borish ignorant behavior is unnaceptable.

We see and read stories all the time which reflect oversized ego's from mental midgets that can't even string together a cogent sentence, from all types of sports figures.  It takes a strong clear leader to set the tone for what is right and proper for NBA player conduct.  When the NBA takes a drastic stand like it did, it does so for a very important reason.  Such behavior is completly unnaceptable in the league, particularly this one where the fans and players are so close to each other.

Stern who has a legal background, must be livid over this.  Anyone else have any insight into what happened and why?

Offline TerryBull

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
I bet Stern is really pissed that J.O. is playing
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 11:27:04 PM »
My understanding is that the courts have yet to rule on whether the arbitrator has any standing in this situation.  The league of course claims he doesn't.  I have no idea as to the legal issues involved.

Jermaine may yet have to serve the final 10 games of his suspension.  The courts concluded that, absent a clear decision on this issue, it would be unfair to make him serve the rest of his suspension.  If the courts eventually rule in favor of the Pacers, he can't "unserve" time he's already served.  On the other hand, if the courts rule in faavor of the league, he can always serve the remaining 10 games of his suspension later in the season.

I tend to agree that the league should have the right to police its players.  However, if the decision of the arbitrator *might* stand, letting him play now until the courts make a decision seems the fair thing to do.

And yes, I'm sure you're right that Stern is VERY HOT about an arbitrator sticking his nose in what Stern absolutely feels is HIS decision and his alone.