Author Topic: should parents be able to predetermine gender?  (Read 10295 times)

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Re: should parents be able to predetermine gender?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 12:53:19 PM »
Mah daddy dun tol me onct that if'n he nude Iah was gonna be a boy, he wooda smashed his groinads wit his bottle o' JB (no ice). See, he allures wanted a lil Laker girl fer hisself. He gots lotsa posters o Laker girls all over his liquer cabnet, whixt he locks up onct he done wit his nitely drink'n. Since thet cabnet is open all day 'n nite, Iah sneeks in affa he pass out tah pleasure mahself look'n at them posters.

and ta thinks iffn mah daddy coulda, Iah couldabeen up thar too. Its mah one flaw.
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 12:58:48 PM »
^^ Yet he also purposed that if a child was born, it would have mother and father to love and nurture it into adulthood.  If  finances, etc dictate that no way can a couple have endless children, then of course birth control can be used with Gods approval.  As to the kind that kills the embryo, the bible calls life as beggining at conception, so find one that prevents conception not "kills" afterwords.

So many people are not away of the fact that "the pill" will not always prevent conception but it will prevent the embryo from attaching to the placentia? uteran wall? and therefore kill it by allowing it to wither and die.  At least that's what the protestors in from of the family planning center told me and gave me literature for.  I personally don't believe in abortion because IMO when the sperm and egg become one it's "life" but I can't force anyone to do or not do with their bodies.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 12:59:57 PM »
Mah daddy dun tol me onct that if'n he nude Iah was gonna be a boy, he wooda smashed his groinads wit his bottle o' JB (no ice). See, he allures wanted a lil Laker girl fer hisself. He gots lotsa posters o Laker girls all over his liquer cabnet, whixt he locks up onct he done wit his nitely drink'n. Since thet cabnet is open all day 'n nite, Iah sneeks in affa he pass out tah pleasure mahself look'n at them posters.

and ta thinks iffn mah daddy coulda, Iah couldabeen up thar too. Its mah one flaw.

A toothless Lakers girl?  Hmmmm.....that would have been something.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 01:01:02 PM »
^^ there is also a super interesting discussion on when and when not a woman can get pregnant as relates to her cycle.  I've got some business to attend to until tonight.
Maybe later we can get into this and maybe jamagees via mom will have lots of input on the "cycle vs fertile" topic.

jemagee

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 01:02:26 PM »
When you are having sex for any reason other than procreation you are disobeying God.  
Man made dogma.
Tell that to the Catholics!

I have, they don't listen :)

Again this entire argument hinges on your belief in an all powerful all seeing all knowing being that actually cares what goes on on planet earth...and then again goes against the concept of free will (which certain religions aren't real fans of even if the bible and god are)...hence goes into religious dogma, i was talking science, religion has too much damn influence already

jemagee

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2008, 01:04:17 PM »
^^ there is also a super interesting discussion on when and when not a woman can get pregnant as relates to her cycle.  I've got some business to attend to until tonight.
Maybe later we can get into this and maybe jamagees via mom will have lots of input on the "cycle vs fertile" topic.

Well, mom and I don't talk much any more, what with her being crazy and having nothing nice to say to any of her children.

I'm going to guess that very few people here know the story of their conception...let alone the scientific chemical preparations made IN DETAIL to tilte the odds towards being a boy....

Trust me, it's bad enough to think about your parents having sex in general, but hearing all the preparation, clinically, well it's not enjoyable and it's slightly scarring...

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2008, 01:58:54 PM »
Birth control prevents the conception of life, IMO more relavent than controlling gender.

Again, it's not our call to determine playing God.  God will step in and stop man if he gets to far just like he did with Adam and Eve, the Tower of Babel and Mr. Nimrod.

so if someone choses to be a video game playing dweeb who never gets out of the house, and thus never has "relations", and thus "prevents procreation, is that playing god?  Where exactly do we draw the line?

(note: video game playing dweeb is a purely fictional character ;) )
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 02:09:38 PM by Derek Bodner »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2008, 02:04:34 PM »
Are you a scientologist or something?  Do you believe that any type of medical treatment is playing god?  That only prayer should be used to take care of things?

Stop being stupid!  MAN CAN NOT PLAY GOD BECAUSE GOD WILL NOT ALLOW IT.  King Nimrod is so appropriate here!  Look up Nimrod and the Tower of Babel.

As far as my religious beliefs, I believe that is my buisness and not anyone elses!  BUT, if you must know I am kinda like Ricky Bobby...."Help me baby Jesus!  Help me Jewish God!  Help me Tom Cruise!"  You could even say I am like that guy in "The Mummy" who had 50+ religious artifacts around his neck and when confronted by death at the hands of the Mummy he tried each one until he was "saved".  

Really?  So cloning animals is not playing god?  Creating life falls under 'playing god' to me.  The guy who I believe is in Irvine, CA who does cloning of animals has not been struck by lightning, killed, or anything close.

http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2008, 02:31:31 PM »
Really?  So cloning animals is not playing god?  Creating life falls under 'playing god' to me.  The guy who I believe is in Irvine, CA who does cloning of animals has not been struck by lightning, killed, or anything close.

AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  "Man" does NOT decide who or who is not playing GOD?  God decides who is or is not playing God, it's NOT YOUR call to make.  When God decides man is getting too close for comfort he will intervene, at least that is what the Bible says.  Google Nimrod or the Tower of Babel.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2008, 02:32:35 PM »

Technically aren't you copying life?  A shorter lived version due to aging process and shortened chromosomes, but still, copying isn't creating, it's copying - ask steve jobs :)

This just isn't one of those discussion that can continue rationally or politely cause you'll get into zealotry and electing idiots to the white house...so even though I can actually contribute on the scientific side (woo hoo a use for my masters degrees) i'm going to bow out rather than try and convert an anti cloning zealot by telling them why their fears are unfounded and all the good that cloning can provide, including providing millions of diabetics with human insulin as opposed to pig insuling. (it's my favorite positive cloning example)

jemagee

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2008, 02:33:09 PM »

AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  "Man" does NOT decide who or who is not playing GOD?  God decides who is or is not playing God, it's NOT YOUR call to make.  When God decides man is getting too close for comfort he will intervene, at least that is what the Bible says.  Google Nimrod or the Tower of Babel.

I have an autographed copy of the bible...

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2008, 02:34:56 PM »

Estelle Getty?  A true OG!
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

jemagee

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2008, 02:37:22 PM »

Estelle Getty?  A true OG!

Reference to a jo,ke from another show i used to watch that ted was too busy being overly manly to compensate for something to notice

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2008, 06:14:41 PM »
Again, it's not our call to determine playing God.  God will step in and stop man if he gets to far just like he did with Adam and Eve, the Tower of Babel and Mr. Nimrod.

Agreed.
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2008, 06:16:39 PM »
I just find it very odd that westkoast thinks chosing gender is playing God while ignoring that preventing life is also playing God, in fact most, religion finds mastrubation wrong because God's purpose for sex is procreation.  When you are having sex for any reason other than procreation you are disobeying God.

Ted?

Are you saying you want to know my thoughts on these questions?
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton