Author Topic: Ok we are enough games in...  (Read 3396 times)

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Ok we are enough games in...
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2004, 10:05:45 AM »
Where are the rest of our b-ball posters?  Reality/WOW?  NY?  Where is gaither?!?!?!
I can't speak for the rest of them but I'm sick of people posting without loggin in!
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

guest-koast

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2004, 10:24:28 AM »
Where are the rest of our b-ball posters?  Reality/WOW?  NY?  Where is gaither?!?!?!
I can't speak for the rest of them but I'm sick of people posting without loggin in!
 :cry:   :cry:   :cry:

You cant log in with browsers that are told  not to accept cookies.  Since that is company policy and I travel from office to office I dont bother logging in.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2004, 10:57:03 AM »
I'll let you slide then.  

I think everyone is busy with the holidays.  Can't stand made up holidays like X-Mas that practically force you to spend money.

"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

guest-koast

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2004, 11:26:52 AM »
I'll let you slide then.  

I think everyone is busy with the holidays.  Can't stand made up holidays like X-Mas that practically force you to spend money.
To make it worse your "significant other" has actually been brainwashed by  corporate america to think if you dont spend butt loads of money you dont love her.

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2004, 12:26:33 PM »
Really?  I'm just the opposite.  I adore the Christmas season.  (My bank account isn't enjoying this one, though.  Easily one of the more expensive Christmases on record.)

Truth of the matter is that I enjoy seeing the light in someone's eyes or the jaw-drop when you've found that PERFECT gift.  I love the look of amazement that such a thing existed...and you found it for them.

I love the gathering of family around the tree.  I love the sound of Christmas music in the air.  And as sappy as it sounds, I even enjoy hearing the Christmas story read from the Bible.

The last few years, I've been thinking about trying to do a musical show and a reading of the Christmas story at my house...pull the keyboards out, sequence a few of them to do the background and play the main parts live - kind of put on a Christmas program for my neighborhood.  (That's what you think of when you're not a good singer and you realize you can't really go caroling with a synthesizer.)  Every year, though, I don't think of it until it's WAY too late to get all the tracks put down, get stuff moved around and set up, and practice to get things to an acceptable level of performance.  **sigh** Maybe next year.

But I'm having Skander and his wife over for fondue tonight, and celebrating Christmas with them before I head out of town.  Even if the holiday has turned too commercial, the holiday still gives you the opportunity to make of it what you will.  If I'm really lucky, someone's eyes may light up, and I'll carry that with me for years.  Isn't that worth a couple of measly bucks?  I know I think so.  And if not, I've spent another evening with my best friend.  And if that's not enough, there's basketball on, and there's computer games to play, and there's political arguments to be had...as opposed to what?  A few extra feet of floorspace?  A room that is cleaned up?

Christmas should be all year round...snow and all.  It'd be hectic at times, but it'd be fun.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

guest-koast

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2004, 12:47:04 PM »
Really?  I'm just the opposite.  I adore the Christmas season.  (My bank account isn't enjoying this one, though.  Easily one of the more expensive Christmases on record.)

Truth of the matter is that I enjoy seeing the light in someone's eyes or the jaw-drop when you've found that PERFECT gift.  I love the look of amazement that such a thing existed...and you found it for them.

I love the gathering of family around the tree.  I love the sound of Christmas music in the air.  And as sappy as it sounds, I even enjoy hearing the Christmas story read from the Bible.

The last few years, I've been thinking about trying to do a musical show and a reading of the Christmas story at my house...pull the keyboards out, sequence a few of them to do the background and play the main parts live - kind of put on a Christmas program for my neighborhood.  (That's what you think of when you're not a good singer and you realize you can't really go caroling with a synthesizer.)  Every year, though, I don't think of it until it's WAY too late to get all the tracks put down, get stuff moved around and set up, and practice to get things to an acceptable level of performance.  **sigh** Maybe next year.

But I'm having Skander and his wife over for fondue tonight, and celebrating Christmas with them before I head out of town.  Even if the holiday has turned too commercial, the holiday still gives you the opportunity to make of it what you will.  If I'm really lucky, someone's eyes may light up, and I'll carry that with me for years.  Isn't that worth a couple of measly bucks?  I know I think so.  And if not, I've spent another evening with my best friend.  And if that's not enough, there's basketball on, and there's computer games to play, and there's political arguments to be had...as opposed to what?  A few extra feet of floorspace?  A room that is cleaned up?

Christmas should be all year round...snow and all.  It'd be hectic at times, but it'd be fun.
Dont get me wrong.  I love Christmas too.  This is by far the most money ive ever spent on x-mas.  Like yourself, I love to be able to get my family things that they want or need. Love to see everyone happy and together.  Cant wait to see my lil brothers face when he opens up the brand new computer I bought him ;).  My mom isn't exactly "ballin" so its nice to be able to splurge on them.  I hooked her up too!

Im just commenting on the mentality of some people....people wonder why kids are always so greedy and selfish around this time.  Well, why not look at how corporate america has turned this spend quality family time hay-im-thinking-about-you holiday into a holiday that is only about buying stuff.  Some of the advertising for this stuff leaves the impression you will die if you dont have the newest hot gift with your name on it lol.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2004, 01:42:42 PM »
Joe,

X-Mas is a made up holiday.  Jesus was born in the fall and was given gifts by the three kings on Jan 6th.  What does Dec 24th have to do with christ?  It's end of year book keeping.  All the traditions associated with X-Mas come from the Winter soltice (sic?) celebration.  Then the Jews were obligated to do something for thier kids who were being left out of the holiday so they came up with Hanukah but at least Hanukah is based on an actual event.

The actual x-mas day is fun and all for the reason you mentioned but it's practically forced upon us, I was just fine with giving gifts on birthdays and on the day of kings but havign to deal with the caos of the holiday season in order to put some merchants in the black to close out the year is BS.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2004, 02:32:31 PM »
I have to admit, I have been too busy to watch too many games or post here and to tell you the truth, the NBA and the Lakers in particular have so disgusted me over the last couple of seasons I have a somewaht diminished interest in the season this early. As we approach the break I think at least the Lakers will shake out a little more and give us an indication where they're heading longterm. I'm just sick to death of all the drama and soap opera nonsense with this team. At any rate, from the games I've seen, here is my take on LA:

Weaknesses: No motion and no quickness on defense whatsoever, this is a fairly young team and I simply don't understand the agonizingly slow defensive transition that is allowing opponents waaaay too many easy buckets, and while contrary to Randy's assertion, they're rebounding well, they are giving up as many as they are getting, again, defensive transition catching LA with half the team still upcourt. No interior presence, I wish I could find a stat to show how well LA's opponents are scoring in the paint, it must be pretty high. I know the team is young and still learning each other and getting used to Rudy Tomjanovich and his style of coaching but at least pick up the pace!!! Statistically they are middle to lower middle of the pack on defense but what is irritating is that with a little more intensity on the defensive side of the floor, this Laker team could have and should have beaten Sacramento the first game, Phoenix twice and absolutely blew the Washington game, they play defense and win those 4 and all of a sudden they are 17-7, confidence builds and this team is a surprise to everyone, myself included. I expect some of this to change when and if Divac starts playing more.

Strengths: LA is playing offense far better than I expected for a team so new and young, Kobe is answering his critics by not only scoring at a rather blistering pace and is 5th in assists, the games I've seen he his passing way more than he did last season, but he is turning over the ball at an alarming rate. Chris Mihm and Chucky Atkins are blending but Atkins is not passing well and his assists are atrocious, still, for such a new team, they are playing better than I thought they would, Odom and Mihm are holding serve until Divac can get in there and make his presence felt with his superior passing out of the post. The Laker are spreading the love points wise, their % isn't anything to crow about but they are averaging just over 97 PPG so I can't complain too much about that, I agree with Randy that if Odom attacks the basket more Cook, Bryant, and Atkins will have more open looks outside.

All in all, not a bad team given the new players, the new coach, the inexperience, and above all, the soap opera that is the Lakers. Will they make the playoffs? Probably, but unless they pick up the pace defensively they are no better than first round and out, and even at best, they are no better than second round fodder. If Kobe is trying to prove he didn't need the most dominant center currently playing, it won't happen this year, but if they build some cohesiveness, in a couple of years it is not an out of the realm of reality possibility.
Dan

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2004, 03:35:04 PM »
Disagree Dan about the Lakers near future.  This team will never go anywhere with the current group.  There is no Pippen to Kobe's Jordan because the second star, Odom, doesn't not compliment Kobe.  They are both similar players, perimeter/slahers.  Odom needs the ball in his hands to be effective and it's not happening.  Last year Odom had alot of success in the post because he was a matchup nightmare at the PF, in the west there are more athletic front court players that can hold their own defensively and more than abuse the smaller odom on offense.

The sliver of hope that some delusional Laker fans were holding on to was that the NEW Lakers were younger, quicker and more athletic and would play inspired basketball and be fun to watch but that hasn't been the case.  You have a mismatched mix of parts and a sorry effort on defense.

I'm still a fan but I don't go out of my way to catch a game, haven't since their second title.
"Not his story"

"It would've endured"

Offline Laker Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2004, 03:56:11 PM »
Actually I have not been nor am I now excited about this team. I made a point earlier in the season that this is not a team that can win consistantly, nor will it be a team capable of having an impact in the playoffs, but the misguided statements that certain Spurs fans made about last years Spurs team was basically a new team (it wasn't) applies in LA in spades, and a year or 2 of gelling may very well surprise some people, provided they can add some size in the post. I don't expect Odom to do more than hold serve until such happens, but with Kupchak at the helm, that isn't very promising either.

To me, bookend slashers is not a bad thing, provided you have a decent center, and Kobe adds the dimension of being a shooter to the equation. I still say they need to move Kobe to forward, but that would kill Odom's minutes, and that is where they are incompatible.
Dan

Offline Reality

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2004, 04:43:00 PM »
Spurs great occasion ball movement but Zit still too often forces them into Dump it to Tim and Stand Around.  It aint gonna work in the playoffs until he turns the offense loose consistently.  Spurs definitely have the personell to open up the O.  Parker GNob Dunker and more.  

Not sure what Zit is doing with Barry.  Meanwhile that Euro rookie dude is good, i like his game.  Still gotta get Barry involved.

Clippers.  Dumbleavy.  Let me know when he is gone.  Oh wait it will be another White Bread Retread coach.  To me this was the year Clips could have won L.A., been in playoffs, and created a buzz.

Wilcox very solid role player, yet is in Dumbleavys dog house.  Spare me.
Maggette does too much Kobme crap, ball hogging then shooting at such a time that Clips have no chance for O rebound/Opponent is given great fastbreak opportunites.  Oh by the way some Offensive Dumbleavy stats:  Clips are dead last in fast break points.  Look at their personell.  It Aint Right!

Bobby Simmons playing fantastic.  What a difference a year makes.  Kaman i love his attitude and game.  Elton is Elton, Mr consistency.  This team otta be well above 500 and building for a playoff run.  S.O.S.

Lakers:  I actually think they are doing okay.  Kobme still ballhogs a lot, but he also sets up the others very well half the time.  Game on the line he always goes Kobme tho.  Thank you for the Dec 25th hog.  Not so much the final shot miss but rather the possesion(s) before that.  14 dribbles.

Houston.  We had Jeff Van Grunty all set to be fired.  Enter noneother then Popazit to bail him out.  That being the ridiculous 13 point choke/TMac explosion.  Since then Van Grunty has been forced to let the O open up a little bit.  Heaven forbid the Rockets have cracked 100 a few times.  Now i hear they traded Jim Jackson.
LOL!  What a team this could be with a good coach.

Sixers:  Trade AI now while he is on his 40-50+ binge.

Heat:  Out in front but i think the Pistons other ECs will close come playoff time.  

Pistons.  Has Larry Brown ever been motivated after he takes a bottom dweller to the top?  No.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 05:06:04 PM by Reality »

TerryBull (NC from Way Back When

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2004, 08:23:50 PM »
Ok... if you'll all stifle the giggles here's my assessment of the Bulls.

Strengths:
Much better defense since ending a woeful November
Getting the ball to the open man
Guards who'll penetrate and score or dish the ball
Ben Gordon is hitting BIG shots at crunch time
Much improved rebounding

Weaknesses:
They're young, young, young... usually with two or three rookies on the floor
Turnovers, a pressure defense will create bunches of 'em
Big men don't pass the ball well
Lack of consistency
Curry often disappears after the first quarter
Match up problems due to an overabundance of small guards

Honestly, these guys are playing MUCH better ball.  The Bulls are NOT the pushover they have been in recent years.  I love the effort I see from this team.  They've shown an ability to overcome 4th quarter deficits, something they've been unable to do for YEARS.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2004, 04:12:57 PM »
Ok... if you'll all stifle the giggles here's my assessment of the Bulls.

Strengths:
Much better defense since ending a woeful November
Getting the ball to the open man
Guards who'll penetrate and score or dish the ball
Ben Gordon is hitting BIG shots at crunch time
Much improved rebounding

Weaknesses:
They're young, young, young... usually with two or three rookies on the floor
Turnovers, a pressure defense will create bunches of 'em
Big men don't pass the ball well
Lack of consistency
Curry often disappears after the first quarter
Match up problems due to an overabundance of small guards

Honestly, these guys are playing MUCH better ball.  The Bulls are NOT the pushover they have been in recent years.  I love the effort I see from this team.  They've shown an ability to overcome 4th quarter deficits, something they've been unable to do for YEARS.
Welcome to the board!!  I think we all would like more fans from other teams posting here on the board regularly.  Chi may be one of the crappy teams in the league but that still doesnt mean they dont have good players or good games we would like to hear about.  We wouldnt giggle at your post just because you have a GM who smokes crack ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 04:13:26 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline TerryBull

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2004, 08:54:55 PM »
Welcome to the board!!  I think we all would like more fans from other teams posting here on the board regularly.  Chi may be one of the crappy teams in the league but that still doesnt mean they dont have good players or good games we would like to hear about.  We wouldnt giggle at your post just because you have a GM who smokes crack ;)
Thanks for the welcome!  I haven't posted regularly on ANY boards since the demise of the MSNBC boards a few years ago (where I was known as NC).  Not sure how regular I'll be here as it depends on how crazy things get when work kicks back in next week.  I've missed posting and talking basketball with INTELLIGENT fans, of which I know there are many here.

As for the Bulls GM smoking crack, I believe you're referring to the FORMER GM.   The Bulls current GM is (fortunately) more well-known for hitting championship shots than making horrible trades.

I'm hoping that the "crappy team" characterization no longer fits.  It's a bit early to say the Bulls are no longer crappy but they ARE coming off a 9-8 December, their first winning month in more than 6 years.  It'll be interesting to see how well they do when they're no longer able to sneak up on their opponents.  Several, including the Lakers, T-Wolves, Cavs, and Pistons took recent games against the Bulls for granted and proceeded to lose.  Once the rest of the league realizes they won't dry up and blow away anymore, the Bulls may have a tougher time.  But they're no longer a pushover.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2005, 10:27:14 AM »
Welcome to the board!!  I think we all would like more fans from other teams posting here on the board regularly.  Chi may be one of the crappy teams in the league but that still doesnt mean they dont have good players or good games we would like to hear about.  We wouldnt giggle at your post just because you have a GM who smokes crack ;)
Thanks for the welcome!  I haven't posted regularly on ANY boards since the demise of the MSNBC boards a few years ago (where I was known as NC).  Not sure how regular I'll be here as it depends on how crazy things get when work kicks back in next week.  I've missed posting and talking basketball with INTELLIGENT fans, of which I know there are many here.

As for the Bulls GM smoking crack, I believe you're referring to the FORMER GM.   The Bulls current GM is (fortunately) more well-known for hitting championship shots than making horrible trades.

I'm hoping that the "crappy team" characterization no longer fits.  It's a bit early to say the Bulls are no longer crappy but they ARE coming off a 9-8 December, their first winning month in more than 6 years.  It'll be interesting to see how well they do when they're no longer able to sneak up on their opponents.  Several, including the Lakers, T-Wolves, Cavs, and Pistons took recent games against the Bulls for granted and proceeded to lose.  Once the rest of the league realizes they won't dry up and blow away anymore, the Bulls may have a tougher time.  But they're no longer a pushover.
LOL @ me forgetting Paxton has been the GM for a few years now

There are only a couple teams I really follow and the rest of the teams I usually look to comments from big time hometown fans of those teams.  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com