Author Topic: Interesting ESPN poll  (Read 1995 times)

Offline ziggy

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - ziggythebeagle
    • View Profile
    • Email
Interesting ESPN poll
« on: December 14, 2004, 02:20:54 AM »
Kobe or LeBron

Out of 104,566 votes

91,182 or 87.2% selected LeBron

13,384 or 12.8% selected Kobe

I don't believe that is a media driven result, because the media has treated Kobe very well over the years.  I think this is a a clear reflection that Kobe has no career in selling products, because he is univerally disliked.

I have to admit that I was shocked by the numbers.  LeBron is a charismatic character, so I would have expected him to get a lot of votes, but he is only in his second year, and the Cavs haven't done much of anything.  I really expected Kobe to get 40 to 50%, but 13% was shocking to me.
A third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. A second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

A quotation is a handy thing to have about, saving one the trouble of thinking for oneself.

AA Mil

Guest_Randy

Interesting ESPN poll
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 05:09:19 AM »
The fact is that Kobe took a HUGE hit -- first with the adultery and mess he got into in Denver and second with the mess with Shaq and PJ.  We all know that Kobe didn't want to be the content amigo to Shaq's presence in the post and people see that.  LeBron has been the posterchild for the NBA and has been the most hyped person to ever enter the league -- so far he is living up to the hype AND he hasn't done anything negative to make the papers (not to mention he is leading the Cavs to a much better record than anyone ever thought possible -- esp. without Boozer).  

Will Kobe's image ever recover?  I think it all depends on what happens from here on out -- but at this point Kobe isn't doing a lot to help himself.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
Interesting ESPN poll
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 10:38:13 AM »
Didnt think it would be so one sided but!!!

LBJ is younger

LBJ is hyped as the next Jordan (Kobe is finally just Kobe now)

LBJ has better court vision

LBJ is only going to improve moreso than Kobe in this point of their careers.....which is scary
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 10:38:33 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
Interesting ESPN poll
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 11:41:14 AM »
Cleveland's 13/8 with less talent than they had last year.

LeBron's putting up mvp type #'s.

25 pts, 7 boards, 7 assists, 2.62 steals, 50.6% shooting.

Imagine that, 50.6% shooting.  in a day and age where wing playes are lucky to crack 40, he's shooting over 50%, as the undisputed #1 option on his team.

Kobe's putting up slightly better points, and roughly the same assists and rebounds, but getting over a steal less a game and shooting over 11% less.  It takes kobe nearly 3 more shots to get those 2 points.

LeBron is also younger, and has a lot less baggage.

Now, it's a little bit shocking kobe's popularity has taken such a steep drop, but no way do I think Paxson would trade LBJ for Kobe.  What he's doing as a 19 year old is simply unheard of.

I mean, by comparison's sake, when Kobe was 19 he was putting up 15.4 pts, 3.1 boards, 2.5 assists on 42% shooting as the team's third option.  When Tmac was 19 he was putting up 9.3 pts, 5.7 boards, 2.3 assists, on 43% shooting.

This kid's absolutely unreal.

Guest_Randy

Interesting ESPN poll
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 11:46:35 AM »
Dbods,

I agree with everything you say until you try to compare what Kobe did as a 19 year old with LeBron.  The Lakers were deep and Kobe wasn't "the Man" for the Lakers -- therefore, he wasn't even getting the minutes OR the emphasis that LeBron is currently.  That works both positively and negatively but it makes comparisons rather a mute point, IMO.  

When was the last time that a backcourt player shot over 50% from the floor?  I think his name was MJ!

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
Interesting ESPN poll
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 12:16:03 PM »
Not quite.  

His name was Brent Barry, and he did it last year (.504).  Barry also did it in 2002 (.508).  

Wally Szczerbiak did it in his first three years in the league - 2000 through 2002 - at .511, .510, and .508.  (Then the Polar Bears drafted him;  he missed 30 games, and shot .481.)

Stockton did it in 2002 (.517), 2001, (.504), 2000 (.501),  1998 (.528), 1997 (.548), 1996 (.538), 1995 (.542), and 1994 (.528) - all since the last time Jordan did it.  Jordan hasn't done it since 1992 (.519).

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Interesting ESPN poll
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 12:28:02 PM »
That works both positively and negatively but it makes comparisons rather a mute point, IMO.

The point was not to make a direct comparison to Kobe but to ANY high school player to entire the league.  

It's unfathomable for a 19 year old to be able to carry a team like he is.  That was the point.

I can't remember someone ready to enter the league at 18 and dominate the way he has.  I didn't get the pleasure of watching Moses when he entered the league (I would have been about -8 at that point, my parents had yet to even meet), but I don't think even he dominated like LeBron is this early.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Interesting ESPN poll
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 01:06:59 PM »
I think this poll reflects both the potential of Lebron James and the fact that Kobe Bryant is not that popular after the Laker soap opera of the last two seasons and his rape trial.

Lebron may yet screw up, but comparing him to Bryant at this point is really a no-brainer.    
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Interesting ESPN poll
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 01:58:11 PM »
I can't remember someone ready to enter the league at 18 and dominate the way he has.
Amare Stoudemire.  

I think it was Ted who asked about Nene and Amare early in their rookie season and my answer was Nene was going to be a solid role player but Amare was going to be a star.  Amare will need to refine his game because his bull to the basket approach will not work once he gets some milage on those legs.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 01:58:30 PM by WayOutWest »
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Interesting ESPN poll
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 04:04:16 PM »
Amare Stoudemire.

Amare's good, but he didn't dominate until this 3rd year.

Amare was also 20 before he was a starter in this league.  LeBron was 18.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
Interesting ESPN poll
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 05:03:41 PM »
Amare Stoudemire.

Amare's good, but he didn't dominate until this 3rd year.

Amare was also 20 before he was a starter in this league.  LeBron was 18.
I missed the "dominate" portion, I read it as ready to play/impact.  

IMO Lebron is NOT "dominant".   Amare was just as impressive and effective in his rookie year.  His points weren't as high up as Lebron but he wasn't the focus of the Suns offense either.

Amare was 19 when he was drafted and entered the league, he turned 20 durring the regular season.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Interesting ESPN poll
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 05:21:41 PM »
Amare was 19 when he was drafted and entered the league, he turned 20 durring the regular season.

He turned 20 in the second week of November.  He played maybe a dozen games before that.

Bron's still not 20.  and I"d say he's definitely dominant.

Both incredible, but Bron's just on another level.  I'm stunned, honestly.  I didn't think he was ready when I saw him live his high-school year.