Author Topic: So Vanessa Bryant was behind the Karl/Kobe beef?  (Read 6847 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
So Vanessa Bryant was behind the Karl/Kobe beef?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2004, 05:32:32 PM »
Actually, I checked out the video interview with Kobe that these words were taken from Fox Sports Net and it's not at ALL what is being proported, from what I've heard.

Here is what Kobe said:
  I didn't come here telling everyone what happened after it happened because I thought it should be taken care of behind doors.

They (Manley and Malone) decided to leak it to the press and once they decided to air it, then I decided to square it out.

Also, one thing doesn't make sense -- Karl makes a comment to Vanessa, Vanessa becomes a little uneasy about the comments and tells Kobe and then calls Karl's wife -- at that point, Karl apologizes for offending Vanessa.

I'm not sure how everyone finds Kobe at fault with this.  You can find Kobe at fault for his behavior in Denver (and other places) but if someone makes a comment like that to my wife, I'm going to be offended too.

There's a LOT to blame Kobe about, IMO, but this doesn't appear to be one of them.
I just think after cheating on his wife, a little pay back is the least of kobe's worries and to be expected, even if it was flirtation, vanessa would seem to have some reason to do this - her husband not only cheated on her, he embarrased her for the whole country to watch.  I am not saying Karl could have not been at fault either, people joke all the time, sometimes it is wrong to joke like that - period, especially if you are married.  you are right, as a husband i would NOT (doh!) accept that from anyone with my wife.  however, if i had cheated on her, i would think she wold do something to cause me the same or more pain back for all that i gave her.  it could be nothing - but the team is falling apart andkobe seems to land in the middle of it quite a bit...
LOL!! The team is falling apart?  Karl Malone was not apart of the team this year.  He never even committed to a team.

I guess you watch a different NBA than we all do.  Lakers just beat the best team in the Eastern Confrence and are 4 games over .500.

Sometimes I think some of you guys are so bitter to loosing to the Lakers the past 4 years that you make things up and wish they would come true lol.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 05:33:43 PM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2004, 05:47:55 PM »
Sometimes I think some of you guys are so bitter to loosing to the Lakers the past 4 years that you make things up and wish they would come true lol.
I don't think that, I know that's the case.  

I think fans of other teams will get over it when they get close to HALF the titles the Lakers have won.  Celtics fans are rivals, not bitter little bitches at the wrong end of the Laker pimp hand.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Guest_Randy

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2004, 05:54:08 PM »
Actually, I checked out the video interview with Kobe that these words were taken from Fox Sports Net and it's not at ALL what is being proported, from what I've heard.

Here is what Kobe said:
  I didn't come here telling everyone what happened after it happened because I thought it should be taken care of behind doors.

They (Manley and Malone) decided to leak it to the press and once they decided to air it, then I decided to square it out.

Also, one thing doesn't make sense -- Karl makes a comment to Vanessa, Vanessa becomes a little uneasy about the comments and tells Kobe and then calls Karl's wife -- at that point, Karl apologizes for offending Vanessa.

I'm not sure how everyone finds Kobe at fault with this.  You can find Kobe at fault for his behavior in Denver (and other places) but if someone makes a comment like that to my wife, I'm going to be offended too.

There's a LOT to blame Kobe about, IMO, but this doesn't appear to be one of them.
I just think after cheating on his wife, a little pay back is the least of kobe's worries and to be expected, even if it was flirtation, vanessa would seem to have some reason to do this - her husband not only cheated on her, he embarrased her for the whole country to watch.  I am not saying Karl could have not been at fault either, people joke all the time, sometimes it is wrong to joke like that - period, especially if you are married.  you are right, as a husband i would NOT (doh!) accept that from anyone with my wife.  however, if i had cheated on her, i would think she wold do something to cause me the same or more pain back for all that i gave her.  it could be nothing - but the team is falling apart andkobe seems to land in the middle of it quite a bit...
The Lakers are "falling apart?"  What are you talking about?  

Nobody thought the Lakers were going to be a dominant team -- and the rise of some unexpected teams (Phoenix and Seattle -- many thought Phoenix was going to be good but this good?  Nobody thought Seattle was going to be this good just by adding Danny Fortson!) in the West made a playoff berth even TOUGHER for the Lakers:

Given to be in the playoffs:
  SA
  Minny
  SacTown
  Dallas

All of the sudden, these are also sure bets:
  Phoenix
  Seattle

That only leaves TWO playoff spots for the following teams:
  LA Lakers
  Houston
  Utah
  LA Clippers
  Denver
  Memphis

That's pretty tough for the six teams striving to make the playoffs in the West, isn't it?  I wouldn't say that the Lakers are falling apart -- they are simply going through another rebuilding process -- the fact that they don't drop to the bottom of the league is great to me.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2004, 06:09:39 PM »

Here is what Kobe said:

Nobody thought the Lakers were going to be a dominant team -- and the rise of some unexpected teams (Phoenix and Seattle -- many thought Phoenix was going to be good but this good?  Nobody thought Seattle was going to be this good just by adding Danny Fortson!) in the West made a playoff berth even TOUGHER for the Lakers:

SA
  Minny
  SacTown
  Dallas

Phoenix
  Seattle

LA Lakers
  Houston
  Utah
  LA Clippers
  Denver
  Memphis

That's pretty tough for the six teams striving to make the playoffs in the West, isn't it?  I wouldn't say that the Lakers are falling apart -- they are simply going through another rebuilding process -- the fact that they don't drop to the bottom of the league is great to me.
Let's not forget with the Lakers current record they would be in the top 3 in the EC.  Is the EC falling apart too?

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2004, 06:32:56 PM »

Here is what Kobe said:

SA
  Minny
  SacTown
  Dallas

Phoenix
  Seattle

LA Lakers
  Houston
  Utah
  LA Clippers
  Denver
  Memphis

Let's not forget with the Lakers current record they would be in the top 3 in the EC.  Is the EC falling apart too?
compared to ther lakers of the past, yes they are not anywhere as good.  comparing stats to the EC teams now?  losing to Detroit really did a number on you guys didnt it? oops, did i say that, it must becuase I am soo bitter from losing to LA...NOT!  this is not the LA you guys cheered for before, nowhere near that, i mean they are only 1 win ahead of the clippers....another great team in the east.

:moon:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2004, 06:42:30 PM »

Here is what Kobe said:

SA
  Minny
  SacTown
  Dallas

Phoenix
  Seattle

LA Lakers
  Houston
  Utah
  LA Clippers
  Denver
  Memphis

compared to ther lakers of the past, yes they are not anywhere as good.  comparing stats to the EC teams now?  losing to Detroit really did a number on you guys didnt it? oops, did i say that, it must becuase I am soo bitter from losing to LA...NOT!  this is not the LA you guys cheered for before, nowhere near that, i mean they are only 1 win ahead of the clippers....another great team in the east.

Comparing EC stats for a reason.  If the Lakers are falling apart where does that put the whole Eastern Confrence?  Of course the Laker's aren't the team that they were.  In a few years the Spurs are going to be in the same exact spot.  No team dominates forever.   Still doesnt mean they are falling apart.  This team still competes.  

Spursx3 by the way a few posters on here cheer for the downfall of the Lakers simply because the media chose to overhype them says something.  Since these players never did anything personal to any of us on the board I believe it stems from being bitter.  What else would it be? Difference between me and you is that I wont be jumping with joy at the fact that the Spurs are rebuilding because they will be beating up the Lakers for years to come.

LOL @ the detroit comment.  Loosing to the Lakers 4 out of 5 years in the playoffs really did a number to you......so much so you start making things up and pretend that they are true ;)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 06:43:23 PM by westkoast »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2004, 06:53:08 PM »

Here is what Kobe said:

SA
  Minny
  SacTown
  Dallas

Phoenix
  Seattle

LA Lakers
  Houston
  Utah
  LA Clippers
  Denver
  Memphis

Comparing EC stats for a reason.  If the Lakers are falling apart where does that put the whole Eastern Confrence?  Of course the Laker's aren't the team that they were.  In a few years the Spurs are going to be in the same exact spot.  No team dominates forever.   Still doesnt mean they are falling apart.  This team still competes.  

Spursx3 by the way a few posters on here cheer for the downfall of the Lakers simply because the media chose to overhype them says something.  Since these players never did anything personal to any of us on the board I believe it stems from being bitter.  What else would it be? Difference between me and you is that I wont be jumping with joy at the fact that the Spurs are rebuilding because they will be beating up the Lakers for years to come.

LOL @ the detroit comment.  Loosing to the Lakers 4 out of 5 years in the playoffs really did a number to you......so much so you start making things up and pretend that they are true ;)
LMFAO!!!  you and the rest dogged us as much if not more so when we lost AND won the title, i think I can gloat without being "bitter."  It's a fine word to choose to try to downplay what I see of your team.  Believe it or not, I am not bitter, I can rerspect the lakers history, without being angry, or hating on it.  just as much as i respect the celtics - but hey look at how long they have been rebuilding.  I am not the one looking up at your team or suffering over not winning last years, i look forward to winning this years.  I dont know if it is just the LA way to be angry or what, but it seems to me you guys are taking this worse than I would... :up:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2004, 07:08:07 PM »

Here is what Kobe said:

SA
  Minny
  SacTown
  Dallas

Phoenix
  Seattle

LA Lakers
  Houston
  Utah
  LA Clippers
  Denver
  Memphis

LMFAO!!!  you and the rest dogged us as much if not more so when we lost AND won the title, i think I can gloat without being "bitter."  It's a fine word to choose to try to downplay what I see of your team.  Believe it or not, I am not bitter, I can rerspect the lakers history, without being angry, or hating on it.  just as much as i respect the celtics - but hey look at how long they have been rebuilding.  I am not the one looking up at your team or suffering over not winning last years, i look forward to winning this years.  I dont know if it is just the LA way to be angry or what, but it seems to me you guys are taking this worse than I would... :up:
That is why you were saying the Lakers are one of the worst teams in the league without having seen em play once earlier this year on the board?  Or saying the team is falling apart yet youve only seen em play once this year?  Or how about the off-season when you were a little bit more than giddy to hear what happend?

You must have mistaken me for someone else because I never "dogged" you when you guys lost.  I believe I was one of the very first people to say that the Spurs organization is a direct reflection of the fans, very classy.  You can search that on the board.

The word isnt downplaying anything.  You are saying that its what you see of our team....you've seen em once this year.  The Lakers actually gave the Spurs a run for their money at the end of the game too.  Even Reality was able to admit that.  You claim they are falling apart yet they are competing and are above .500 in a stacked western confrence (and I mean REALLY stacked).  I say you are bitter because you are talking out of your rear end about what the Lakers are doing yet you dont get to watch em.  
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 07:09:53 PM by westkoast »

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2004, 07:20:34 PM »

Here is what Kobe said:

SA
  Minny
  SacTown
  Dallas

Phoenix
  Seattle

LA Lakers
  Houston
  Utah
  LA Clippers
  Denver
  Memphis

That is why you were saying the Lakers are one of the worst teams in the league without having seen em play once earlier this year on the board?  Or saying the team is falling apart yet youve only seen em play once this year?  Or how about the off-season when you were a little bit more than giddy to hear what happend?

You must have mistaken me for someone else because I never "dogged" you when you guys lost.  I believe I was one of the very first people to say that the Spurs organization is a direct reflection of the fans, very classy.  You can search that on the board.

The word isnt downplaying anything.  You are saying that its what you see of our team....you've seen em once this year.  The Lakers actually gave the Spurs a run for their money at the end of the game too.  Even Reality was able to admit that.  You claim they are falling apart yet they are competing and are above .500 in a stacked western confrence (and I mean REALLY stacked).  I say you are bitter because you are talking out of your rear end about what the Lakers are doing yet you dont get to watch em.
actually i say they are that because i am used to the strong team they were. if you can believe it or not i liked the competition they gave us, to me that was the best rivalry my franchise has seen, thats just my opinion.  the sad thing is you guys take it as "what?  oh no he didnt just say that"  and go off.  I dont have to be bitter at LA chicago, or boston opr anyone else with more titles. im not bitter.  I dont think your team is anywhere near as good as they were before.  i didnt like them because of the rivalry last year, i dont like them because of the team they are now, which is a shell of what was.  you are right my team will be there, it has been there, so what. if they suck they suck.  I dont have to defend my opinion of your teams suckiness, thats just my opinion, i respect the history and the strentgh they had.  I am not happy with them right now, I actually miss looking forward to playing them, now it's just like seing chicago after jordan left, you see them on the schedule and say to yourself "ehh."  maybe you beat us maybe you dont, i still woldnt get excited to play like i used to.  and dont worry, i know you guys could come up with plenty of opinions of your own on my teams suckiness.  fine.  but believe me, i am not anywhere near bitter.  the lakers are one of the greatest franchises in the history of the game. my team played against one of thier best squads and beat them twice, thats great history for us and for you.  that was the highlight of the nba back in the day, the biggest game of the season WAS SA vs LA, and you know it.  now its not.  its just not the same now.  so take it for what you will, but I am  not bitter, i for one miss your old team, if you guys cant accept my opinion of your team. sorry, but thats MY opinion, so deal with it.  k, I am outta here for the night all....rant all you like  :cheers:  

Guest_Randy

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2004, 10:04:23 PM »
It's inevitable -- ALL teams hit the rebuilding stage -- the Spurs got INCREDIBLY lucky -- TWICE -- once with DRob and then again with TD.  However, even TD won't play forever -- what do you think of the Spurs minus TD?  Championship quality?   Guaranteed to make the playoffs?  

I LIKE the trade of Shaq -- why?  Because of several reasons I have already mentioned:  1) Shaq wasn't motivated to get in shape and play dominant ball on his present contract in LA -- an extension WASN'T going to change that; 2) based on the results of #1 -- the Lakers are a top team in the league but I don't see a championship; 3) Shaq gets his extension and the Lakers (because of the salaries of Shaq and Kobe alone) have NO room to hire any kind of a supporting cast making sure that #2 doesn't happen; and 4) Shaq gets his extension, plays a couple of more years (no title though) and then the Lakers are at the bottom of the heap with Kobe leading the supporting cast that the Lakers could afford with Shaq and Kobe's salary -- which means the rest of the team literally SUCKS!  

I LIKE the trade -- while I might not like everything the Lakers got (and which they could have gotten more) -- I like the fact that the Lakers have money to spend; a great player to build around and the greatest legacy of any team in the league.  Hopefully the Lakers, in spite of their owner and GM, can continue to build on that legacy -- time will only tell.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2004, 12:15:21 PM »
WoW and all the rest of y'all,

Just as an FYI, Michael Jordan and his wife never got a divorce. They worked it out. So the whole Michael and Kobe comparison doesn't really work here.

If you doubt me, here's a recent link:

http://static.highbeam.com/u/unitedpressin...asjobasrealtor/

Michael did cheat, but I'm pretty sure the lady was a willing partner. :rofl:  
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline Joe Vancil

• ICQ Messenger - 236778608
    • MSN Messenger - joev5638@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GenghisThePBear
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - joev5638
    • View Profile
    • http://www.joev.com
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2004, 12:26:53 PM »
I thought Kobe's side came out with the DETAILS before Malone's side did.  Am I wrong about that?

My understanding was that Karl (throught Manley) mentioned he was also having personal problems with Kobe when he responded to Bryant's interview, but didn't detail it.

Am I wrong about this?  Because this is a very important distinction.

Joe

-----------
Support your right to keep and arm bears!
Club (baby) seals, not sandwiches!

guest-koast

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2004, 12:33:42 PM »
I thought Kobe's side came out with the DETAILS before Malone's side did.  Am I wrong about that?

My understanding was that Karl (throught Manley) mentioned he was also having personal problems with Kobe when he responded to Bryant's interview, but didn't detail it.

Am I wrong about this?  Because this is a very important distinction.
Kobe did the Interview out here.  Malone heard it, got mad, and his agent made comments to the media.  Kobe then replied saying that what he was saying was took out of context and he was simply saying that the team doesn't need to worry about the what if's.  Another comment was made by Karl saying he simply wont play with Kobe at all.  Then that is when Kobe let it all out.

Offline JoMal

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2004, 12:58:39 PM »
I have noticed that nearly all Laker fans who care to comment on it were in favor of the trade of O'Neal to the Heat. Since, in shape or not, Shaq tends to dominate opponents like no other center in the League, I have to wonder why that is the case? The titles earned by the Lakers, at least from the perspective of LA's opponents these last few years, were due to Phil Jackson and Shaquile O'Neal, with Bryant playing the most key support role, of course.

But his lack of leadership qualities clearly make Kobe a very unlikely choice to build a team around. His high-flying style and acrobatic moves and shots are nice to watch, but he doesn't so much as make his surrounding teammates better as much as apprehensive to not screw up. O'Neal is a bull who allows teammates to be confident in supporting roles and to excel.

Bryant's style?

"Gimme the ball!!!!"  

"Now take the ball and you better do something with it or you won't see it again!!!!"

While this seemed to work with Jordan, it just does not look right with Kobe. At least Michael tended to say the "WE" word more then the "ME" word when accepting the wins and loses of his team.

The other thing that strikes me about Bryant is his youth. He is now an NBA veteran of nine season, but he is only 26. With a 136 million dollar contract, he clearly thinks he actually knows more then not only his experienced teammates and coaches, but the general public. Not in basketball knowledge, but in life experiences.

He has no basis or foundation for dealing with other people in a way that others will ever respect him off the basketball court. His legal problems and constant strife with teammates clearly show his total lack of understanding of their intelligence and experience that he has yet to grasp. Throwing money at these young men at such an age is like telling them they are better then their peers in ALL things, which is impossible. But with their egos highly polished with all that money, many fall victim to their bloated self-importance.

I never thought that Bryant would succumb to that as well, as I thought he had more maturity, but all that has happened with him and the Lakers in the last 18 months plainly shows he does not, and you can NEVER build a team around someone like him. He just does not have what it takes to lead.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 01:01:04 PM by JoMal »
"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.....We will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.....We are not descended from fearful men, not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were for the moment unpopular....We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2004, 01:29:10 PM »
I have noticed that nearly all Laker fans who care to comment on it were in favor of the trade of O'Neal to the Heat. Since, in shape or not, Shaq tends to dominate opponents like no other center in the League, I have to wonder why that is the case? The titles earned by the Lakers, at least from the perspective of LA's opponents these last few years, were due to Phil Jackson and Shaquile O'Neal, with Bryant playing the most key support role, of course.

But his lack of leadership qualities clearly make Kobe a very unlikely choice to build a team around. His high-flying style and acrobatic moves and shots are nice to watch, but he doesn't so much as make his surrounding teammates better as much as apprehensive to not screw up. O'Neal is a bull who allows teammates to be confident in supporting roles and to excel.

Bad assesment JoMaL...please dont pull a Spursx3 here on us.  Kobe has had 5-6 games of 10+ assists and is currently ranked 6th in overall assists.  Chris Mihm, a guy WE ALL thought would be below average, is playing with alot of confidence right now.  Why?  Because he knows Kobe is looking for him in the post and on the move.  Caron Butler is another good example of this.  Kobe is seeking both these players out quite a bit.  They both have been playing much better than they have in previous years.

Chris Mihm is not getting a career high in points because he is dominating guys in the post.  Most of his points have been comming off pick and rolls, cutting to the middle, and put backs.

The reason we were happy with the trade is because Shaq was unmotivated out here for one.  Two, he was asking for ALOT more money.  Third, he will not be around for as many years as Kobe will playing at a high level.  I believe they jumped the gun but it was going to happen sooner or later.  IMO, I rather see it happen sooner rather than when Shaq is hurt or too old for us to get young fresh players.

Personal problems really have to do with how he came into the league and with the way he was raised.  He was raised in an NBA household and that had an effect on him.  Comming into the league at 18, making millions, and trying to be a man straight out of high school was another.  Kobe being isolated because of moving to italy, being the best player in high school, and being the young guy who was alienated by Shaq off the bat (yes this happend, most wont remember if you werent in LA LA Land) add to that.  His personal problems to me have nothing to do with his on court play.  The Karl Malone beef is retarded and shouldnt even be brought up IMO.