Author Topic: So Vanessa Bryant was behind the Karl/Kobe beef?  (Read 6848 times)

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
So Vanessa Bryant was behind the Karl/Kobe beef?
« on: December 13, 2004, 10:20:02 AM »
"He was like a mentor, like a brother to me, so when something like that happens, you're upset, you're hurt," Bryant said Sunday night before the Los Angeles Lakers played the Orlando Magic.
Malone has been recuperating from knee surgery, and last Tuesday his agent said he didn't plan to return to the Lakers because of comments Bryant made in a radio interview. Bryant spoke about the Lakers having to look over their shoulders, wondering whether Malone was going to play again.

Malone's agent, Dwight Manley, said then that Malone was furious at Bryant, and also said private, personal attacks were involved, but would not elaborate.

Bryant elaborated plenty on Sunday.

He said he had phoned Malone, who has a home near Bryant's in Newport Beach, after Vanessa Bryant told her husband on Nov. 23 that Malone had made inappropriate comments to her that night at the game at Staples Center.

Bryant said he called Malone and told him, "Stay away from my wife. What's wrong with you? How could you?"

Malone was unavailable for comment Sunday.

According to Manley, however, Malone said he had never made a pass at Bryant's wife, that he initially was surprised at the accusation, and that he apologized to both Bryant and his wife for any remarks she may have considered inappropriate.

"Karl's response to Kobe's comments today is that he's a basketball player and not a soap opera actor and he doesn't intend to be involved in a personal soap opera," Manley said of his client.

Bryant said he obviously was surprised by Malone's remarks to his wife.

"The comments that he said, I don't know any man in this room that wouldn't be upset about that," Bryant said in the Lakers' locker room. "The past month, myself, my wife, (Malone's wife) Kaye, we've had fun together.

"We've been out to their house, just joking around, giving each other a hard time, just clowning, being sarcastic with one another, baby-sitting kids and all that."

Asked if there could have been a misunderstanding, Bryant said, "What he said is what he said. I believe in my heart that it wasn't a misunderstanding.

'My wife wasn't going to stand for it. She felt uncomfortable being around him to the point that she felt she had to call his wife and tell her."

Bryant said Malone didn't deny making the comments, and told him during their phone conversation, "Aw, you know, I'm sorry if I said anything that was out of line."

Malone, 41, told the Lakers on Oct. 1 he was still recovering from arthroscopic surgery he underwent three months earlier on his right knee and wasn't ready to play. But he didn't rule out returning at some point this season or beyond.

Malone, the second-leading scorer in NBA history, opted out of his $1.65 million contract following last season, making him a free agent.

Despite his obvious anger toward Malone, Bryant said he would be able to separate his personal feelings if Malone should rejoin the Lakers.

"If he could come back and play for us and help us out, I'm happy to embrace him as a teammate," Bryant said. 'But only as a teammate."

Bryant is the defendant in a civil lawsuit accusing him of rape. The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages for pain, scorn and ridicule the woman says she has suffered since her encounter with Bryant at the Vail-area resort where she worked in June 2003.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone needs to let Kobe know if hes going to cheat then his wife is fair game.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 10:21:12 AM by westkoast »
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Guest_Randy

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 11:14:47 AM »
I don't know -- IMO, you DON'T need to take this kind thing out-in-public.  Just another REALLY bad decision by Kobe.  Kobe needs to learn that if he takes the HIGH road, then he doesn't have to justify/excuse or explain himself all the time.  Of course, it doesn't seem like Kobe has much of a HIGH road these days.

Offline Ted

• AOL Instant Messenger - Rustedhart
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ruteha
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 12:53:03 PM »
And now we wait for Karl Malone to go nuclear.

:unsure:  
"You take him Perk!" ~Kevin Garnett

"I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards in and tighten up a little bit on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac." ~Bill Clinton

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 03:48:07 PM »
Kobe is scum, nothing but scum.  you talk about hypocrisy, his wife hit on malone AFTER the whole "kobe-anal-rape" case got started!  flirting with another player should be the least of his worries.  the man is scum...why is he crying over karl holding out on the team when he held out on them himself?   :nonono:

kobe IS the anti-jordan...
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline WayOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 03:58:42 PM »
Kobe is scum, nothing but scum.  you talk about hypocrisy, his wife hit on malone AFTER the whole "kobe-anal-rape" case got started!  flirting with another player should be the least of his worries.  the man is scum...why is he crying over karl holding out on the team when he held out on them himself?   :nonono:

LOL!

You're right, unlike Jordan, Kobe was able hold onto his wife after he got caught cheating.  Jordan lost HALF his shyte to his wife after she busted his arse, Kobe only gave up 4 million on a diamond.

Anti-Jordan in deed dim one!

P.S.  I hate Kobe, but he's still a Laker.
"History shouldn't be a mystery"
"Our story is real history"
"Not his story"

"My people's culture was strong, it was pure"
"And if not for that white greed"
"It would've endured"

"Laker hate causes blindness"

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 04:05:26 PM »
Kobe is scum, nothing but scum.  you talk about hypocrisy, his wife hit on malone AFTER the whole "kobe-anal-rape" case got started!  flirting with another player should be the least of his worries.  the man is scum...why is he crying over karl holding out on the team when he held out on them himself?   :nonono:

LOL!

You're right, unlike Jordan, Kobe was able hold onto his wife after he got caught cheating.  Jordan lost HALF his shyte to his wife after she busted his arse, Kobe only gave up 4 million on a diamond.

Despite all that Jordan may have done in his time he was able to hold it together, even today,  he is still more than kobe will ever become.  He is a cancer for your team and you know it.  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 04:08:04 PM »
Kobe is scum, nothing but scum.  you talk about hypocrisy, his wife hit on malone AFTER the whole "kobe-anal-rape" case got started!  flirting with another player should be the least of his worries.  the man is scum...why is he crying over karl holding out on the team when he held out on them himself?   :nonono:

LOL!

"still a laker"  yeah, and i am glad for that!  here's to an early summer vacation for your team.. :up:  

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 04:12:41 PM »
What Jordan paid to his wife is probably going to be comparable to what he inevitably Kobe will pay for his legal fee's.
Paul

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 04:25:23 PM »
Kobe is scum, nothing but scum.  you talk about hypocrisy, his wife hit on malone AFTER the whole "kobe-anal-rape" case got started!  flirting with another player should be the least of his worries.  the man is scum...why is he crying over karl holding out on the team when he held out on them himself?   :nonono:

LOL!

Despite all that Jordan may have done in his time he was able to hold it together, even today,  he is still more than kobe will ever become.  He is a cancer for your team and you know it.
Thats funny because it looks to me like everyone on the team likes Kobe each time they suit up.

You can believe the media, I'll stick to what I see at Staples.....which is guys jumping off the bench to congradulate Kobe, Caron Butler, Brian Cook, and Chris Mihm playing with a new found confidence, and the Lakers doing alot better than what everyone thought they would do.  The guy only has had 5-6 games with 10+ assists this year.  Cancer's dont put up back to back triple doubles.

He's really good at being an asshole but to go off a re-ran ESPN report to get a few new viewers isnt what I would call a good source.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 04:28:01 PM by westkoast »

purple sashe

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 04:28:37 PM »
Karell and Kobith throwing their mascara cases at each other was one thing.  Normal Lakerthz passthionet behavior.  Such as Karell being jealous at how long Kobe was on the phone long distance with Derek Fisher.

But to have a woman involved. :eek2:   Oh this rocks the very foundation of Lakerdom.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 04:42:42 PM »
Kobe is scum, nothing but scum.  you talk about hypocrisy, his wife hit on malone AFTER the whole "kobe-anal-rape" case got started!  flirting with another player should be the least of his worries.  the man is scum...why is he crying over karl holding out on the team when he held out on them himself?   :nonono:

LOL!

Thats funny because it looks to me like everyone on the team likes Kobe each time they suit up.

You can believe the media, I'll stick to what I see at Staples.....which is guys jumping off the bench to congradulate Kobe, Caron Butler, Brian Cook, and Chris Mihm playing with a new found confidence, and the Lakers doing alot better than what everyone thought they would do.  The guy only has had 5-6 games with 10+ assists this year.  Cancer's dont put up back to back triple doubles.

He's really good at being an asshole but to go off a re-ran ESPN report to get a few new viewers isnt what I would call a good source.
we'll see how they look towards the end of the season WK, no doubt putting on the purple and gold is going to be an honor to most players in the NBA becuase of the history...but we will see how kobe wears them down, if he wears them down.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 04:47:58 PM »
Actually, I checked out the video interview with Kobe that these words were taken from Fox Sports Net and it's not at ALL what is being proported, from what I've heard.

Here is what Kobe said:
  I didn't come here telling everyone what happened after it happened because I thought it should be taken care of behind doors.

They (Manley and Malone) decided to leak it to the press and once they decided to air it, then I decided to square it out.

Also, one thing doesn't make sense -- Karl makes a comment to Vanessa, Vanessa becomes a little uneasy about the comments and tells Kobe and then calls Karl's wife -- at that point, Karl apologizes for offending Vanessa.

I'm not sure how everyone finds Kobe at fault with this.  You can find Kobe at fault for his behavior in Denver (and other places) but if someone makes a comment like that to my wife, I'm going to be offended too.

There's a LOT to blame Kobe about, IMO, but this doesn't appear to be one of them.

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 05:15:52 PM »
Actually, I checked out the video interview with Kobe that these words were taken from Fox Sports Net and it's not at ALL what is being proported, from what I've heard.

Here is what Kobe said:
  I didn't come here telling everyone what happened after it happened because I thought it should be taken care of behind doors.

They (Manley and Malone) decided to leak it to the press and once they decided to air it, then I decided to square it out.

Also, one thing doesn't make sense -- Karl makes a comment to Vanessa, Vanessa becomes a little uneasy about the comments and tells Kobe and then calls Karl's wife -- at that point, Karl apologizes for offending Vanessa.

I'm not sure how everyone finds Kobe at fault with this.  You can find Kobe at fault for his behavior in Denver (and other places) but if someone makes a comment like that to my wife, I'm going to be offended too.

There's a LOT to blame Kobe about, IMO, but this doesn't appear to be one of them.
I just think after cheating on his wife, a little pay back is the least of kobe's worries and to be expected, even if it was flirtation, vanessa would seem to have some reason to do this - her husband not only cheated on her, he embarrased her for the whole country to watch.  I am not saying Karl could have not been at fault either, people joke all the time, sometimes it is wrong to joke like that - period, especially if you are married.  you are right, as a husband i would NOT (doh!) accept that from anyone with my wife.  however, if i had cheated on her, i would think she wold do something to cause me the same or more pain back for all that i gave her.  it could be nothing - but the team is falling apart andkobe seems to land in the middle of it quite a bit...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 05:23:41 PM by SPURSX3 »

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2004, 05:17:18 PM »

LOL!

we'll see how they look towards the end of the season WK, no doubt putting on the purple and gold is going to be an honor to most players in the NBA becuase of the history...but we will see how kobe wears them down, if he wears them down.
Of course going to a team like the Lakers is going to make guys happy.  However, I dont think the jersey all the sudden made Mihm into a guy who can score 20 points a game and do a somewhat decent job of controlling the paint.  Butler himself has said he has benefitted from working out with Kobe and they have become friends.  Butler and Mihm both benefit the most from Kobe's new found ability to burn double teams.  I think Odom could possibly be the guy who doesnt like to be pushed.

We will see at the end of the season how well they do.  Mentally and physically.  Which all comes down to if they are winning.  If they are winning then the riding Kobe does will pay off, they will still be happy, and the early exit they recieve in the playoffs will give em time to rest.  If they are loosing or go sub .500 then guys are going to be pissed and not want to come back.  Winning is the cure-all.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 05:18:35 PM by westkoast »

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2004, 05:21:30 PM »
Kobe does not command the respect that Jordan did. Not from the players, not from the fans. Kobe's a cancer alright. Maybe not a metasticized cancer, maybe more of an easily treated skin cancer, but he's still a cancer!
Paul