Author Topic: Anyone watching what Amare is doing right now?  (Read 1793 times)

Guest_Randy

Anyone watching what Amare is doing right now?
« on: December 02, 2004, 11:00:27 AM »
This guy is putting up BIG numbers:

He is:
     2nd in the league in PPG at 25.9
     2nd in the league in FG% at 57% (amazing when you consider he is second in the league in PPG)
     9th in BlkPG
     16th in RPG at 9.1

His rebounds could grow but this guy is suddenly becoming one of the top big men in the league -- he isn't a rebounding machine and will continue to grow defensively but this guy COULD be challenging KG and TD in a year or two as the leagues best big man.  He has already leapfrogged many (he is a MUCH better defensive player than Dirk, has already pass CWebb, IMO and his offense puts him above Big Ben when you consider that his defense is already formidable).

Amare is STILL coming into his own and realizing his abilities -- the guy didn't play any college ball and has only been in the league 2 years (this is his 3rd year).

TD is STILL the litmus test for all big men and yet look how Amare compares:

MPG  FG%  FTA  FT%  Stl    BPG    TO    RPG   Ass   PPG
TD:      35   .521   9.7  .645   .75    3.1   2.56   12.9   2.3   23.4
Amare: 36   .57    9.9  .685   .73    2.1   2.13     9.1     .9   25.9

Or compare Amare's 3rd season with TD and KG's 3rd season:

Amare: 36    .57    9.9  .685   .73    2.1   2.13     9.1     .9   25.9
KG:      39    .49    4.0   .738  1.7    1.8   2.3       9.6    4.2  18.5
TD:      38.9 .49    8.1   .761    .9    2.2    3.3     12.4    3.2  23.2

His FG% REALLY impresses me, esp. when you see that he is 2nd in the league in PPG.  It's pretty obvious what he does with the ball when he gets it (look at his assists vs. PPG, lol) and there are definately some impressive numbers -- most are right in line with KG and TD.  Obviously, Amare needs to work on his rebounding -- KG grew in that area (TD has always been a rebounding machine) -- but Amare is ahead of TD and KG in PPG, FG%, and TO's (although one could make the easy argument that he isn't always the focal point of the offense -- something KG has always been and TD has been to some degree -- although DRob was strong in TD's first two years).  Amare needs to continue to grow defensively, rebounding and in sharing and passing the ball but this guy is only in his 3rd year out of high school -- amazing stats already.

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 11:53:46 AM »
Hes amazing.  I dont think he will be competiting with Duncan until TD is on his way out honestly.  He is still very raw and probably wont ever perfect funadamentals like Tim has.  On top of that he just isn't as good defensively as Duncan is.  

I am so happy with the new class of talent in the NBA right now.  So fun to watch.
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Wolverine

• AOL Instant Messenger - CardsMizzou
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 12:07:28 PM »
Believe me, I know.  He's on my fantasy team, and I keep loving this guy more with every game.  Just a great young player who keeps getting better and moving towards the elite players in the game.
This message was brought to you by Diet Dr. Pepper.  It tastes more like regular Dr. Pepper.

Cards' 2010 regular season record: 50-41

Guest_Randy

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 12:11:06 PM »
I think that Amare is a better comparison with KG -- although KG has range that is amazing for a 7'0" -- however, I like the fact that Amare likes the post more than KG -- I wish KG spent more time in the post offensively -- sometimes he falls in love with his jumpshot too much.  

TD is incredibly fundamental and will go down as one of the best post defenders ever, IMO.  He is such a great player from A-Z -- however, I think Amare will deserve to be listed, one of these days, alongside TD if he continues to develop -- and that is an honor, IMO.  TD has the whole package -- offense, defense, rebounding as well as a decent passer and a great team player.  Those guys are incredibly rare in any era.

jn

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 12:13:10 PM »
Amare must be leading the league in dunks right now and mean that as a compliment.  He's just attacking the rim with a vengeance.  Some writer said he looked like a young Shawn Kemp, which I think is a pretty good comparison.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 12:22:29 PM »
Amare must be leading the league in dunks right now and mean that as a compliment.  He's just attacking the rim with a vengeance.  Some writer said he looked like a young Shawn Kemp, which I think is a pretty good comparison.
Nash/Amare does look like GP/Kemp of old.  Nash is ALWAYS looking for him.

Guest_Randy

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 04:03:42 PM »
I think that Amare is a better defensive player than Kemp -- Kemp was overrated defensively based on his athleticism and popularity, IMO.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 11:16:56 AM »
He's got a tremendous amount of athletic ability, alot more than Tim has. Tim is just a rare breed though, a Bird-like player who just understands how the game is played. Nothing fancy, just methodically gets the job done. True Rarity.
Paul

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 11:45:18 AM »
I think that Amare is a better defensive player than Kemp -- Kemp was overrated defensively based on his athleticism and popularity, IMO.
And Nash's defense is worse than Kemp's defense was.  They balance out because GP was one of the top 3 defenders in the league then.  Looks like the 2k5 version of GP/Kemp.