Author Topic: What is it with the Sixers anyway?  (Read 2178 times)

Rickortreat

What is it with the Sixers anyway?
« on: December 01, 2004, 03:56:01 PM »
I still can't make up my mind about these guys.  I like O'Brien as a coach, was impressed with him when he was in Boston.

I don't have a problem with him changing the lineup either.  He's still trying to find out which combinations work best for him on a consistent basis.

But it's clear the team doesn't have the pieces that O'Brien wants.  The Sixers are too short to dominate the glass, and they can't run without dominating the glass.  The Sixers need to run to win.  Marc Jackson is playing great, but he is a power forward, not a center.  Dalmebert is a center, but still makes a lot of mistakes on the court.  Skinner is basically forgotten on the bench.

O'Brien should try to play the height he has, and see what happens.  I'd like to see him start Dalembert and Jackson at the 5 and 4 spots, keep Andre and Korver and Iverson in the lineup and see what they can do.  When one of the bigs get into foul trouble or needs a break, put in Skinner.  The point is to give the Sixers more inside strength.

In their half-court sets they often have trouble executing.  The last time they played San Antonio, they managed to score only six points in a quarter!  And Dalembert, when he finally got into the game botherd Duncan, since Timmy couldn't see over him.

The east is a weak conference, and the Pacers with the suspensions, are alot less of a threat.  There's no-one in the east that is significantly better than the Sixers based on talent, so IMO the opportunity is there for them to have a good year.

But on offense and defence the Sixers have lapses which have contrbuted to their poor record.  Other teams are able to score on them, and penetrate to the middle too easily.  Marc Jackson isn't enough of a defensive presence.  They have no inside scoring, except for Marc, and against the bigger centers he's not going to be effective.  

They have enough outside shooting with Korver to enable them to spread the floor.  If they can make the defenses pay attention to Korver, that should free Igoudala, Thomas, Green, and Salmons to drive the lane and get the oppossing team in foul trouble.  

The biggest problem I see with the team is that they don't have a killer instinct and are not strong at closing games out.  They lack confidence at the end, because they don't score or genrate enough stops.  O'Brien needs to stop playing it so close to the vest, with his players.  I'd rather see Dalembert foul out every game that to see him sit on the bench, and I'd like to see a power forward have to guard Jackson instead of a center.

The Sixer have enough depth to force an uptempo game on other teams and run them into the ground.  But they won't be able to force an uptemo game until they can rebound better.  They need a center, and they should play who they have since that's the only way they can get better.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - dbodner22
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dabodz
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phillyarena.com
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 04:11:02 PM »
The basis of O'brien's teams are NOT rebounding and getting out in transition.

O'brien's teams are never a good defensive rebounding team.  Wny?   He fronts the post.  By fronting the post you might force lower percentage shots and create more turnovers (the 2 things that are the basis of o'brien's defense), but you pull your bigs out of defensive rebounding position and put the other team's pf/c in good offensive reboudning position.  That's a problem we're always going to have.

What it does do is put an onus on the SG and Sf to pinch down and pick up those long boards (since by preventing entry passes to the post you force long jumpers, and long jumpers = long rebounds).  Luckily, we have arguably the best rebounding SG in the league in Iggy (6.2 rpg, 3rd behind Bryant and Pierce, but grabs more boards per minute than both of them).

But defensive rebounding will never be one of our strengths.  Where our transition game comes from will be deflections/turnovers and long rebounds.

I'll disagree with you about closing out games.  When they've had leads or been close, I think they've done a fairly good job.  The problem they had was starting games (getting behind big to SA for example.  Their first 6 games or so they were down at least 14 in every game.  They haven't been doing so lately, and they've been playing better.

As for Dalembert, he's simply taken a step back.  He's been a disappointment so far this year.

rickortreat

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 04:31:24 PM »
I think he's fronting in the post because his front line is too short, and the other teams bigs can shoot over the top.  Putting Dalembert in there would change that.  

As they're playing now, they're about a .500 basketball team.  They don't execute well enough on offence, and against good teams they don't get enough easy baskets.  

The second shots other teams are getting on us are what's killing the team.  Fronting the other teams bigs is what's killing us.  San Antonio did a great job of scoring on us in that first quarter.  If O'Brien tries to front TD again, we'll loose again.

Dalembert is going to make a lot of mistakes.  I can live with that, if he's on the floor, disrupting the other teams flow and running the boards.  He's not going to learn by sitting on the bench, if he was he'd be better by now.

Against the weaker teams the Sixers are good enough to win, playing as they have.  But they're not going to win agains the better teams until they make the changes I've written about.  

At least they're not falling behing so easilly in games, since they're developing a better consistency on defense.  But they go though periods where their offence gives them nothing, and they don't even work hard.  Iverson comes down and guns a shot.  Miss, and the other team comes running back down the court.  They're too lazy to work for a good shot, becasue they don't have a Center to dump the ball into. They either need to dress Big Dog, or get Dalembert into the game.  

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 04:50:16 PM »
I think he's fronting in the post because his front line is too short, and the other teams bigs can shoot over the top.

No, he does it because that's the O'brien/Harter defense.  He did it in Boston.  He specifically said he'll do it here.  And he's doing it with Dalembert too.

It's his style.  Get used to it.  I don't like it, but I'm also not expecting him to change it.

rickortreat

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 05:08:17 PM »
I thought that was his style because he never had big men he could rely on. I'm going to have a hard time getting used to it, because I don't see that as a good strategy on a conistent basis.  

Even though they keep changeing the rules to make it more like the College game, this is the NBA.  The players on the whole have more talent, and the limitations of zones and other gimmick defenses become apparent when teams have the talent to take advantage of them.

Seattle is a case in point, they have too many good shooters.  I'm not so sure they can't continue to win, bombing away from the outside either.  They shoot too high a percentage for other teams to let them play that way.  

The same thing happens with fronting post players. In College, lots of the bigs aren't quick enough or tall enough to get the entry pass when being fronted.  In the NBA the bigs are that talented.  

O'Brien better realize that what worked well in college won't work in the pro's.   You can't front the other teams bigs unless your players are the same size or larger.  And, you can't do it on a consitent basis, because the opponents will find a way to take advantage of it.  

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 05:55:00 PM »
Where is the guard support to crash the boards if they are fronting?  
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 06:02:36 PM »
they guards don't front...

Offline westkoast

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 06:15:01 PM »
they guards don't front...
Uhh thats not what I was reffering to.   If they are fronting the post players why are the guards not crashing the boards ala J-Kidd?
http://I-Really-Shouldn't-Put-A-Link-To-A-Blog-I-Dont-Even-Update.com

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 06:59:03 PM »
If they are fronting the post players why are the guards not crashing the boards ala J-Kidd?

They are...

That's why I referrenced Iguodala (who's starting at SG now), who's something like 4th in SG's in total rebounds, and first in rebounds per minute.

Offline spursfan101

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 09:32:03 AM »
Got my first look at Philly last night against the Spurs...it was...UGLY.  
Paul

Offline SPURSX3

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2004, 09:41:14 AM »
Got my first look at Philly last night against the Spurs...it was...UGLY.
more like total FUBAR, i actually felt bad for AI.  Devon Brown getting 24 last night was sweet, hometown boy is living a fdream, plays for the hometeam, and is progressing  his game.  very nice...by the way i turned it off in the third, i couldnt watch anymore of it.  

I hope we do as well against Detroit, they got something to prove against us and we got something to prove against them.  We got to show them we should have been the champs, and they are gonna prove they deserve to be the Champs - because they are the Champs.  it should be a good game.

yeah the final score should be SA over Det  72-61   :rofl:  
On the set of Walker Texas Ranger Chuck Norris brought a dying lamb back to life by nuzzling it with his beard. As the onlookers gathered, the lamb sprang to life. Chuck Norris then roundhouse kicked it, killing it instantly. The lesson? The good Chuck giveth, and the good Chuck, he taketh away.

Offline Derek Bodner

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2004, 12:06:21 PM »
we played our worst game of the season last night, bar none.  The spurs defense just destroys us.

rickortreat

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 01:34:37 PM »
Well, even the Mix meister agreed with me, about having Dalembert and Jackson in at the same time, and O'Brien even tried it.

But the Spurs had no need to dump it in to TD, since the Sixers defense was pathetic and Spurs had no problems scoring.

The Sixers on the other hand, couldn't run their offense at all.  Their frequent misses gave San Antonio plenty of opportunites for easy baskets, and plenty of time to re-set their defence for the Sixers.

Ugh.

:puke: